Do I have LSD? I need a replacement key! + General Info, where to look and more - my.IS - Lexus IS Forum
Welcome to the newly redesigned my.IS website - Your source for IS200, IS250, IS300, IS350 and IS-F Information.

b

Register | Home | Forums | News | Photos | Content | FAQ | Advertise | Store

Go Back   my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > General Discussion
Register Home Forum Photos Active Topics / Realtime Garage iTrader User's Guide Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

My.is is the premier Lexus IS Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2006, 04:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Deity

my.IS Supporter 2006 ToyDrive Participant
DonCorleone is an elite community memberDonCorleone is an elite community memberDonCorleone is an elite community memberDonCorleone is an elite community memberDonCorleone is an elite community memberDonCorleone is an elite community memberDonCorleone is an elite community memberDonCorleone is an elite community memberDonCorleone is an elite community memberDonCorleone is an elite community memberDonCorleone is an elite community member
Do I have LSD? I need a replacement key! + General Info, where to look and more

PLEASE DO A SEARCH BEFORE POSTING A THREAD/QUESTION
yes I know the search doesn't always work, but it does work, keep trying, give it some time and try again when the server is less busy.

Also, READ THE FAQ & STICKIES, most info is posted or linked there.

Doing a search and reading the faq and stickies will help save bandwidth which will, in turn, allow the search to work more often and not clutter the forum with repetitive topics therefore allowing new info and discoveries to have more exposure. Thank you!

FAQ
http://my.is/forums/f60/

Everything from; choosing bolt on power mods, suspension mods, maintenance procedures to reviews, what to look for when buying a used IS300 as well as Forced Induction.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2001-2005 Definitive Change List;
2001 - 2005 IS300 Definitive Changes List

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it ok to use lower octane gas?

Yes and no.
The car will adjust to run "ok" on lower octane gas. What it does is retard timing to prevent knocking or pinging which will cause damage to the engine. However, the car will not run optimally, that and long term risk of engine damage due to dirty gas, is it really worth it to save ~$5 a fill up? A few gallons in case of emergency should be fine, though. Just don't make it a regular habit.

The manual says to use only premium fuel. The inside of the gas cap says to only use premium fuel. If you want to run regular, get a car that runs on regular. Why buy a "sporty" car and then run crappy gas that will not allow the car to run at its peak and drive like a grandma when a civic will do the same without all that hassle?

My a/c smells very bad
Change your a/c filter. It's behind your glovebox.
Open glove box, pinch (push) both sides in and the whole glove box should swing completely open. You can prop it on something to prevent all your stuff from falling out or just let it drop. Whichever works for you.
There is a black door, open and pull the tray all the way out. The filter might look nasty. Chuck it in the trash and replace.

Suggested replacement every 10,000 miles or so. More often if you live in an area where the filter tends to get dirty quicker.

IS300.net store sells it, Lexus dealer sells it, park place lexus online sells it, irontoad sells it, carson toyota sells it, cost is under $20. park place has free shipping on all orders.

Blitz makes an "anti odour" filter that is rewashable, costs $50ish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeslandes
First, change your AC filter.
If your AC still smells like a locker room, try this:

- start car, let engine warm up a few minutes;
- open all the windows;
- turn cabin air to full heat, full fan speed, out the dashboard vents;
- let that run 15 minutes to evaporate any H2O in the ducts;
- turn to full cold AC, full fan speed, out the dashboard vents, NOT on recycling;
- blow some Lysol for 30 seconds right into the AC inlet vents outside the car (usually just below the windshield)
- then let the AC run as is for a few more minutes to get rid of the Lysol smell.

Optionally, also remove the AC filter and blow some Lysol in there while the fan is running.

The Lysol will kill any mold present in the system and replace the mold smell with Lysol smell (which goes away after a day or two)

Works wonders. I do this on all my cars yearly, as my wife suffers from asthma and cannot tolerate mold.
Also, there is a drain tube that might be clogged;
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ02ISgray
Update! Its been awhile I know, but I did find out what the water sound was from under the dash(its not coolant). Wow lexus is DUUUmmmb! There is a drain for the excess condensation. For what ever reason the tube that goes under the dash through the fire wall, was not clamped down (it's in the engine bay)and was'nt draining properly. It would just sag and collect water. This is mounted on the passenger side strut tower directly across from the headers. If you hear the water sound from under the dash this could be your issue. Btw, lexus tried telling me it was a hot/cold servo, and that its not under warranty so they would charge me to remover the dash. Such a scam!!!

Turning off Maintenance Required Light;
Turning off the Maint. Req'd light

Stock Wheel Specs
Quote:
Originally Posted by LXS4Ross
stock IS300 wheels are 17 x 7 with a +50 offset. The Sportcross model has a +55 rear offset.
Sportcross wheels are wider in the rear at 17 x 7.5
Bolt pattern is 5x114.3

We have separate forums for each aspect of the car
ie;
Inside and Out for interior and exterior mods (aesthetic)
Go Fast for bolt on N/A mods.
Go Faster for turbocharging and supercharging.
Stop Drop and Roll for brakes sways, struts, shocks, coilovers, springs…
Wheels and Tires for wheels and tires, obviously.
Mobiletronics for headunits, ipod integration, nav retrofit, subs, tv’s…
Member Sale/Trade Forum + Member Wanted To Buy/Trade Forum For sales and request of IS300/250/350’s and related parts. No commercial selling allowed and we currently do not have a forum for unrelated items.

We also have forums for Regional meets, events and two forums for Offtopic discussion; The Parking Lot for general offtopic and The Garage for automobile related discussion (non-IS.)

Gas Capacity
IS300; 17.5 gallons. After the gas light comes on, you still have 2.5 gallons remaining.
IS250/IS350; 17.1 gallons. After the gas light comes on, you still have 2 gallons remaining

Oil Capacity
Quote:
Originally Posted by JW
Oil Capacity (liters/qts., without oil filter): 5.1 liters / 5.4 qts.
More if you use a bigger oil filter.

How to tell if my IS300 has LSD?
Look at the sticker on your driver door sill/jamb, look for the area that reads "A/TM"
You'll see numbers such as B02A, B02B, B02C
A=no LSD
B,C = LSD
If you are still unsure, call 1800 25 LEXUS and ask them to look up your VIN and they can tell you what options it came equipped it from the factory.

If you bought your car second hand, there is a possibility the owner of a non-LSD IS300 swapped in a factory LSD, if this is not disclosed, it makes things a bit more challenging.
Here are pics and info on how to distinguish the two by looking at the gears;
http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?p...68#post3637468

More info on LSD's in the link below.
Official OEM LSD thread: Case closed, important info inside

The methods of doing a burn out and checking if there are one or two tire marks / jacking up the car and spinning the wheels are somewhat debated and I am unsure if this is a valid way of determining if your car has lsd or not.

Info on how to perform a swap; http://my.is/forums/4278310-post10.html

Lost Keys / Adding Keys / Replacing Broken Keys

2001 Models- If you lose both master keys, Lexus claims you will have to get a new replacement engine ECU, in addition to the replacement master keys, as the ECU is reportedly “unflashable / not reprogrammable”. There are reports of certain places being able to reprogram the ECU for you if you remove it and send it out. See here for more info; http://my.is/forums/2774522-post4.html

2002+ Models- If you lose 1 master key or wish to add another master key, all you need to do is get a new key, have it cut, and get a transponder (if it is not included with the key already) and follow these steps;
There are two parts to this, the first is programming the Immobilizer, which allows you to start the car, the second is programming the transponder, which locks/unlocks and opens the trunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lextech1
To Program The Immobilizer |Chip that allows you to start car|

this is a long process, but heres what you will need
your new key
a MASTER KEY (one with the remote in it)already programmed to car.
to program the transponder- (thats the immobilizer part)
sitting in dr. seat, put the master key in ignition, and turn to on.engine OFF. press the gas pedal 5 times to floor and release. now press brake 6 times (press and release)
remove master key from ignition. install new key and turn to on...engine off. press gas to floor once. now wait. the security light will blink for about 45-60 seconds, then it will go off if you did it correctly. once the light is off, car should start.
Quote:
Originally Posted by black86
i finally got it to work. since no one really commented in verifying lextechs method. maybe its because i have an 04. but this is what i did.

1. Enter the car with a working pre-programmed key and close all doors.
Simultaneously depress and release both the brake and the accelerator pedals.
2. Within 5 seconds, insert the working pre-programmed key into the ignition. turn key to on but do not crank engine.
3. Within 15 seconds of inserting the ignition key, depress and release the accelerator pedal 5 times.
4. Within 20 seconds, depress and release the brake pedal 6 times.
5. Within 10 seconds, remove the working pre-programmed key from the ignition.
6. Within 10 seconds, insert the newly cut transponder key into the ignition. Turn key to on but do not crank engine.
7. Depress and release the accelerator pedal one time. The security light should now begin flashing to indicate that the computer is reading the new key and programming the system.
8. Leave the new key in the ignition for at least 60 seconds. When the security light stops flashing, the programming process should be complete
9. Start the vehicle using the new key to verify that programming was successful.

and bam! it started. i found those instructions online, but it didnt mention turning the key. so it never worked. just thought id try turning the key and it worked. so if anyone needs the steps to program the immoblizer for at least an 04 IS those are the steps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lextech1
all IS300 ECU's after 2001 model can be reset to accept new keys if all masters are lost. this process also would be the best way to clear the missing key out. then you just program back in the keys you do have. You will not need a ECU. lock cylinder sets are available with new keys to match in one kit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by black86
also this

To delete all but one key from the unit:
1. Simultaneously depress and release brake and accelerator pedals 1 time.
2. Insert existing master key into ignition. Do not turn the key from the OFF (LOCK) position.
3. Within 15 seconds of inserting the key, depress and release the accelerator pedal six times.
4. Within 10 seconds of completing the above step, depress and release the accelerator pedal seven times.
5. The security light will flash, indication all keys other than the one being used have been deleted.
6. Remove the key from the ignition cylinder within ten seconds. It will be the only key still programmed to work

Add Duplicate Key:
1. Simultaneously depress and release brake and accelerator pedals 1 time.
2. Insert existing master key into ignition. Do not turn the key from the OFF (LOCK) position.
3. Within 15 seconds of inserting the key, depress and release the accelerator pedal five times.
4. Within 20 seconds of completing the above step, depress and release the brake pedal six times and
remove the key.
5. Within 10 seconds, insert the new key into the ignition.
6. Within 10 seconds, depress and release the accelerator pedal one time.
7. After 80 seconds the new key is registered and the security light will go off.
8. Remove new key and depress and release the brake pedal 1 time.
If your key breaks and you would like a cheaper way to “fix” it instead of buying a new key and getting it cut, what I did was get a used key, cut out the old blade and transferred my blade into that housing, here are the pics and steps;
http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?p...82#post2878682

You may have a total of 4 keys programmed to the system, if you add more, it will erase the other keys, oldest first. This is the actual Lexus pdf file with procedures;
http://my.is/forums/attachments/f87/6201-how-program-new-key-2002-key-programming.pdf

I have seen new keys with transponders go for ~$80 on ebay, so keep an eye out, just beware the ones without the Lexus logos and the ones that are just regular keys (no place for transponder) keep in mind even the ones with the lexus logos may be knockoffs. You can reprogram a used transponder as well so you don't have to buy a new one, get a used key and use the transponder to save some $.

My car is sluggish/slow to respond
certain 2001 models had a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) posted by Lexus, which is akin to a recall, which called for replacement/reprogramming of the ecu and overly aggressive traction control which caused the car to hesitate in certain situations. More info can be found here;
What's Wrong???

Some members have posted that they were able to get the dealer to perform the reflash on 2002 models as well.

Other things you can try to make your car less sluggish/more responsive are;
Clean your MAF How To Here
Replace intake filter
Make sure your car is properly maintained (oil, spark plugs, tranny fluid, differential oil, etc...)
Then reset your ecu (unplug negative terminal on battery for a few minutes, press brake pedal to expel remaining power in system, reinstall the negative terminal) and go for a very spirited drive. This will allow your ecu to relearn a more aggressive driving pattern.

Also, make sure you have PWR on, it allows your car to shift at a higher rpm for more spirited driving.

Turning TRAC OFF will also add to the responsiveness for spirited driving, just be careful as you will spin out more easily in rain and such if you are not careful or do not have the skill/familiarity to adjust your steering and throttle input to maintain control of the vehicle.

Last edited by jasonm4; 08-22-2012 at 04:27 PM. Reason: added LSD link
DonCorleone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2006, 04:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Deity

DonCorleone is an elite community memberDonCorleone is an elite community memberDonCorleone is an elite community memberDonCorleone is an elite community memberDonCorleone is an elite community memberDonCorleone is an elite community memberDonCorleone is an elite community memberDonCorleone is an elite community memberDonCorleone is an elite community memberDonCorleone is an elite community memberDonCorleone is an elite community member
feel free to post contributions and I will update the thread.

just keep in mind this is not meant to be a faq or tutorial-we already have those. just a collection of useful info to be ready at hand and hopefully reduce multiple repeat threads and save bandwidth.

also note each forum has their own stickies (posts at the very top) with collections of answers pertinent to that forum.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:01 AM   #3 (permalink)

steve R is an unknown at this point
Does anyone know the 2 step for reprograming the transponder on the is300 2001 key
steve R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 08-01-2006, 07:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Guru

Squareback is an elite community memberSquareback is an elite community memberSquareback is an elite community memberSquareback is an elite community memberSquareback is an elite community memberSquareback is an elite community memberSquareback is an elite community memberSquareback is an elite community memberSquareback is an elite community memberSquareback is an elite community memberSquareback is an elite community member
Great idea, it must of took some time to put those together.

I will think of some and add them later.

+rep
Old 08-01-2006, 02:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Deity

steve R; can you clarify?

Squareback; thanks man. hope it helps cut down on these reposts of reposts. even the newbs are getting frustrated at the other newbs for not searching.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Country Boostin

Roundtable Panelist 2005 ToyDrive Participant
OKCIS is an elite community memberOKCIS is an elite community memberOKCIS is an elite community memberOKCIS is an elite community memberOKCIS is an elite community memberOKCIS is an elite community memberOKCIS is an elite community memberOKCIS is an elite community memberOKCIS is an elite community memberOKCIS is an elite community memberOKCIS is an elite community member
You must show some love to other members before giving it to DonCorleone again. If you see this message a lot perhaps you should be more selective...
06 C6 Z06
06 G35 Coupe 6MT (For Sale)
Forced Induction Facts *READ THEM* Its some good stuff!
OKCIS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 08-01-2006, 02:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Frequenter

2006 ToyDrive Participant
A17322A is an elite community memberA17322A is an elite community memberA17322A is an elite community memberA17322A is an elite community memberA17322A is an elite community memberA17322A is an elite community memberA17322A is an elite community memberA17322A is an elite community memberA17322A is an elite community memberA17322A is an elite community memberA17322A is an elite community member
+ rep
Old 08-01-2006, 02:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

MrGregski is an elite community memberMrGregski is an elite community memberMrGregski is an elite community memberMrGregski is an elite community memberMrGregski is an elite community memberMrGregski is an elite community memberMrGregski is an elite community memberMrGregski is an elite community memberMrGregski is an elite community memberMrGregski is an elite community memberMrGregski is an elite community member
Quote:
Originally Posted by A17322A
+ rep
Same here, I just signed up a couple months ago and I'm already tired of the same stuff being asked every day.
BMWs are built for f0**ers who appreciate an engaging driving experience. Lexus cars are designed for anal retentive people who feel the feedback from the road is a nuisance instead of a bonus.
I'm a f#$%&r then
MrGregski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 03-31-2007, 01:31 AM   #9 (permalink)

lessthanjakejohn is an unknown at this point
Just a note, lower octane fuel is not "dirty" gas. All gas comes from the same pipe its only the detergents that are different and each company puts the same detergent in each fuel grade (afaik) As long as your car is not knocking there is no real harm. Howerver you may not get as good gas mileage due to the timing retardation which would make the price difference negligible as noted. Trial and error could be best bet.
lessthanjakejohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 12-20-2007, 08:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
Fiend

Flexus01 is famous around these partsFlexus01 is famous around these partsFlexus01 is famous around these partsFlexus01 is famous around these partsFlexus01 is famous around these partsFlexus01 is famous around these partsFlexus01 is famous around these parts
Great thread +
Old 02-22-2008, 05:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
My.is Captain Kangaroo

my.IS Supporter Roundtable Panelist
Location: With Jerry, Elaine, George, and Kramer at the Coffee Shop.
-JDOG- is an elite community member-JDOG- is an elite community member-JDOG- is an elite community member-JDOG- is an elite community member-JDOG- is an elite community member-JDOG- is an elite community member-JDOG- is an elite community member-JDOG- is an elite community member-JDOG- is an elite community member-JDOG- is an elite community member-JDOG- is an elite community member
Sweet thread. BO3B! LSD!!!
'13 Subaru BRZ Limited 6 Spd.

"I don't always drive cars, but when I do. I prefer the IS300. Stay in third gear my friends."
-JDOG- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 07-11-2008, 01:21 PM   #12 (permalink)

dk-2020 is an elite community memberdk-2020 is an elite community memberdk-2020 is an elite community memberdk-2020 is an elite community memberdk-2020 is an elite community memberdk-2020 is an elite community memberdk-2020 is an elite community memberdk-2020 is an elite community memberdk-2020 is an elite community memberdk-2020 is an elite community memberdk-2020 is an elite community member
great thread! really helps!
dk-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 10-19-2008, 05:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
Frequenter

sqchess is an elite community membersqchess is an elite community membersqchess is an elite community membersqchess is an elite community membersqchess is an elite community membersqchess is an elite community membersqchess is an elite community membersqchess is an elite community membersqchess is an elite community membersqchess is an elite community membersqchess is an elite community member
Lost Keys / Adding Keys / Replacing Broken Keys

2001 Models- If you lose both master keys, Lexus claims you will have to get a new replacement engine ECU, in addition to the replacement master keys, as the ECU is reportedly “unflashable / not reprogrammable”. There are reports of certain places being able to reprogram the ECU for you if you remove it and send it out. See here for more info; my.IS - Lexus IS Forum - View Single Post - Lost keys, replace ecu?

2002+ Models- If you lose 1 master key or wish to add another master key, all you need to do is get a new key, have it cut, and get a transponder (if it is not included with the key already) and follow these steps;
There are two parts to this, the first is programming the Immobilizer, which allows you to start the car, the second is programming the transponder, which locks/unlocks and opens the trunk.

If your key breaks and you would like a cheaper way to “fix” it instead of buying a new key and getting it cut, what I did was get a used key, cut out the old blade and transferred my blade into that housing, here are the pics and steps;
my.IS - Lexus IS Forum - broken key, $15 fix, now with some pics

You may have a total of 4 keys programmed to the system, if you add more, it will erase the other keys, oldest first. This is the actual Lexus pdf file with procedures;
http://my.is/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6201

I have seen new keys with transponders go for ~$80 on ebay, so keep an eye out, just beware the ones without the Lexus logos and the ones that are just regular keys (no place for transponder) keep in mind even the ones with the lexus logos may be knockoffs. You can reprogram a used transponder as well so you don't have to buy a new one, get a used key and use the transponder to save some $.

I don't know if this is already been asked, but i cannot find a answer to it. Can I program a key without the master key. I just brought a used '03 is300 and the previous owner lost the two master keys she had, so all I have now is one valet key. I am going to buy the original Lexus key, but can it be program it myself or would I have to take it to the dealer.
Sorry if this is a repeat, thanks
sqchess is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 10-19-2008, 06:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
Deity

I'm running on a lack of sleep but if I recall correctly, yes.

there should be instructions in the Lexus PDF posted above (http://my.is/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6201)

on how to reset/delete all the old keys and program new keys in.

Read through the PDF and see what it says.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
Frequenter

sqchess is an elite community membersqchess is an elite community membersqchess is an elite community membersqchess is an elite community membersqchess is an elite community membersqchess is an elite community membersqchess is an elite community membersqchess is an elite community membersqchess is an elite community membersqchess is an elite community membersqchess is an elite community member
I looked everywhere in the pdf theres nothing about programing without a master key. I got on lexuskeys.com and it mentions under the FAQ that you MUST have the master key in order to program a new key. I just want to make sure. Can I program a new key WITHOUT a master key? I would hate to go to the dealer its $125 to program a new master key and $35 to cut it.

Last edited by sqchess; 11-25-2008 at 11:41 AM.
sqchess is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the my.IS - Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)