Diagnose my problem. Car vibrates going 40-50 mph - my.IS - Lexus IS Forum
Welcome to the newly redesigned my.IS website - Your source for IS200, IS250, IS300, IS350 and IS-F Information.

b

Register | Home | Forums | News | Photos | Content | FAQ | Advertise | Store

Go Back   my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > General Discussion
Register Home Forum Photos Active Topics / Realtime Garage iTrader User's Guide Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

My.is is the premier Lexus IS Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2007, 12:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Loyalist

rlee is an elite community memberrlee is an elite community memberrlee is an elite community memberrlee is an elite community memberrlee is an elite community memberrlee is an elite community memberrlee is an elite community memberrlee is an elite community memberrlee is an elite community memberrlee is an elite community memberrlee is an elite community member
Diagnose my problem. Car vibrates going 40-50 mph

This is really starting to make me mad. at first i thought it was my bent rims that was causing it, well i straigtened all 4 of my rims, and that costed me 530, but the vibrating in my car is still happening, i dont know what to do. i dont want to bring it to lexus because they will rape me on the prices. i have 1 tire that has bad tread, could that be causing it? someone suggested that it could (the place that straightened my rims. another suggested that vibrating is caused by bad mount and balance, but the thing is, my car was vibrating before i straightened my rims/mount and balance them, therefore i dont think that is the problem. i also need an alignment, but from what i understand, alignments dont cause vibrations, they cause steering wheels to steer to the left/right.

i need advice, my car ONLY shakes between 40-50 mph, if i go 70 mph, it doesnt shake. it shakes so bad that i feel it's dangerous to drive. please help
rlee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2007, 01:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Aficionado

jooowan is an elite community memberjooowan is an elite community memberjooowan is an elite community memberjooowan is an elite community memberjooowan is an elite community memberjooowan is an elite community memberjooowan is an elite community memberjooowan is an elite community memberjooowan is an elite community memberjooowan is an elite community memberjooowan is an elite community member
did you balance your tires when you had your rims straightened? sounds like off-balance tires could cause this.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Loyalist

rlee is an elite community memberrlee is an elite community memberrlee is an elite community memberrlee is an elite community memberrlee is an elite community memberrlee is an elite community memberrlee is an elite community memberrlee is an elite community memberrlee is an elite community memberrlee is an elite community memberrlee is an elite community member
yes they were mounted and balanced after they were straightened. even before i straightened, the vibration happened. so unless the previous people that did my tires off balanced them, or if the straightening people off-balanced them, i dont think that is the problem since it was vibrating before and after i straightened
Old 05-05-2007, 10:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Loyalist

2005 ToyDrive Participant 2006 ToyDrive Participant
LEXIGRL is an elite community memberLEXIGRL is an elite community memberLEXIGRL is an elite community memberLEXIGRL is an elite community memberLEXIGRL is an elite community memberLEXIGRL is an elite community memberLEXIGRL is an elite community memberLEXIGRL is an elite community memberLEXIGRL is an elite community memberLEXIGRL is an elite community memberLEXIGRL is an elite community member
From experience, tires have a play in this as well. I recall tire wear having some effect on vibration, but i don't know if one worn tire can cause the extensive vibration that you speak about. Make sure the tires are properly inflated (by this I mean the appropriate PSI)? Sometimes that plays a part in vibration and ride quality. Since you need an alignment, get that done first and see if the problem persists. If it does, then bring it to a shop other than the Lexus dealership and get them to test drive the car. Hopefully they will be able to diagnose the problem.

For the time being, since the car vibrates a great deal, just be sure to check your wheel bearings and retorque your lug nuts every now and then (if you have stock lugs, then you maybe fine...but better be safe than sorry).

All the best. Hope things work out for you.
LEXIGRL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 05-05-2007, 10:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Addict

happysmp is an elite community memberhappysmp is an elite community memberhappysmp is an elite community memberhappysmp is an elite community memberhappysmp is an elite community memberhappysmp is an elite community memberhappysmp is an elite community memberhappysmp is an elite community memberhappysmp is an elite community memberhappysmp is an elite community memberhappysmp is an elite community member
Sounds like you have alot of things you need to take care of anyways! So...

1) Get an alignment.
- When I dropped my car 1", the wheels were so out of whack, the car just felt like shit to drive. $100 for a 4-wheel laser alignment (camber, caster and toe)

2) You need new tires...at least two anyways.
- Get yourself some tires, $200 a pop?

3) Driving on bent rims? WTF
- So they're fixed right? balanced too?

4) All the other things, tire pressure, check your rotors for warpage

All else fails, you can always take the car to Lexus for diagnoses and get it fixed elsewhere.
happysmp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 05-05-2007, 10:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Loyalist

i think im just going to bring it to lexus to avoid any headaches, except that it will cost me an arm and a leg.

i checked my tire pressure, they're all good.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
Loyalist

clubfoot is an elite community memberclubfoot is an elite community memberclubfoot is an elite community memberclubfoot is an elite community memberclubfoot is an elite community memberclubfoot is an elite community memberclubfoot is an elite community memberclubfoot is an elite community memberclubfoot is an elite community memberclubfoot is an elite community memberclubfoot is an elite community member
Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmp View Post
Sounds like you have alot of things you need to take care of anyways! So...

1) Get an alignment.
- When I dropped my car 1", the wheels were so out of whack, the car just felt like shit to drive. $100 for a 4-wheel laser alignment (camber, caster and toe)

2) You need new tires...at least two anyways.
- Get yourself some tires, $200 a pop?

3) Driving on bent rims? WTF
- So they're fixed right? balanced too?

4) All the other things, tire pressure, check your rotors for warpage

All else fails, you can always take the car to Lexus for diagnoses and get it fixed elsewhere.
Add a bad shock to the list above and you did say you bent the rims so you may have suspension damage.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Altruist

diablooffire03 is an elite community memberdiablooffire03 is an elite community memberdiablooffire03 is an elite community memberdiablooffire03 is an elite community memberdiablooffire03 is an elite community memberdiablooffire03 is an elite community memberdiablooffire03 is an elite community memberdiablooffire03 is an elite community memberdiablooffire03 is an elite community memberdiablooffire03 is an elite community memberdiablooffire03 is an elite community member
I have owned 2 sets of 18" rims. Both sets make the car vibrate at about 55mph. Wierd. I had mounting and balancing done, new tires, and alignment a few times with no help. In the winter when I put the stock 17's on mounted on Blizzack's the car rides smooth as silk.
94 Supra Single Turbo 6spd. SOLD
diablooffire03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 05-07-2007, 02:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Altruist

Roundtable Panelist
Lextech1 is an elite community memberLextech1 is an elite community memberLextech1 is an elite community memberLextech1 is an elite community memberLextech1 is an elite community memberLextech1 is an elite community memberLextech1 is an elite community memberLextech1 is an elite community memberLextech1 is an elite community memberLextech1 is an elite community memberLextech1 is an elite community member
I've seen this type of issue many times before at the speeds you describe. It is almost always a shifted belt inside the tire. Basicly your tire isn't round while rolling with a load.
Wheel balance issues (unless its reall really off) will start around 50, and get worse as speed picks up.

you said yourself you have a bad tire. What more do you want? replace the tire, actually, replace two tires.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Enthusiast

DIN300 is an elite community memberDIN300 is an elite community memberDIN300 is an elite community memberDIN300 is an elite community memberDIN300 is an elite community memberDIN300 is an elite community memberDIN300 is an elite community memberDIN300 is an elite community memberDIN300 is an elite community memberDIN300 is an elite community memberDIN300 is an elite community member
From what I know if your car starts vibrating at 50 and past 70 its smooth again. then you have a mounting and balancing issue. If your tires are not round then they would have spotted that problem doing your mounting and balancing.

Maybe they did a bad job. Next time when you go get your tires mounted and balance stand close to your car and watch them balance it to see if they did it right and not goof it up. I remember working at Arospeed/Speed and style they would get lazy in the back and goof with the balancing part but when the customers were watching they would straigten out and do there job.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
Lurker

PapaMochi is an unknown at this point
Prob. could be as many people have stated....

mount and balance...esp. the balancing part

bad tires

bad wheels (even if it is bent back to be not bent anymore)

worse case transmission during the 40-50 mph shiftchange....might be torque converter....but let's hope not.....
PapaMochi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 05-19-2007, 03:23 PM   #12 (permalink)

toddrhodes is very well likedtoddrhodes is very well likedtoddrhodes is very well likedtoddrhodes is very well liked
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lextech1 View Post
I've seen this type of issue many times before at the speeds you describe. It is almost always a shifted belt inside the tire. Basicly your tire isn't round while rolling with a load.
Wheel balance issues (unless its reall really off) will start around 50, and get worse as speed picks up.

you said yourself you have a bad tire. What more do you want? replace the tire, actually, replace two tires.
This is spot on - I had the same problem you're describing on my Integra 3 weeks ago before I sold it and got my IS. I replaced the tire that had "slipped a belt" according to the mechanic, and the problem disappeared.

Todd.
toddrhodes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the my.IS - Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)