LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 09:42 PM
Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jong1 View Post
I did my swap on jack stands w/ just enough clearance to slide the R154 under the car... It was just as much fun as it sounds.
That must have sucked hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squareback View Post
1-8-7 on the undercova i-s-3-hundgy
IS3TT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 06:25 AM
Frequenter

Quoted: 31 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftnGears View Post
Jong - Thanks for the input in the thread! The measurements of the throw reduction is great info! Yes the Z shape may cause some problems clearance is an issue. I will take photos of mine this weekend and Update some more info on here for others. I am still using mine even at the drag strip and I do not have any complains on the shifter. I also have the complete driftmotion kit and marlin crawer parts in my trans. I did notice the shifter took a bit more muscle to get it into gear. Now it just feels like a transmission that means business. My extension is 2-1/8" no impact to the console. Maybe once you drive it a bit the feel might loosen up a bit. On my car it is very noticable if your in gear or not. Its like a firm clicking and the shift throw stops crisply. Reverse can be a pain though. I am using redline mt-90 for oil. Cheers!
Awesome -yes additional photos would be great. I bought the shifter extension from Excessive Manufacturing.
Toyota R154 Extended Shifter Housing

I'm hoping the trans will losen up. Almost all gears feel "normal" - still very notchy which is awesome, but the 1-2 shift is definitely the most difficult. I had to do a few things last night and I checked the oil level (also using MT-90) and the oil that did come out the filler hole had quite a bit of metal dust (very tiny particles). I hope this is just normal break-in for the synchros, that MT-90 is kinda pricey, but I might drain and refill just to get all that out and see if I accumulate more or if shifting improves.

I was playing around w/ the stock IS300 shifter too. It almost looks like you could get that to work in the R154 with a little modification, but I don't want to trash my good one (hoping to sell the W55). The IS300 shifter mount doesn't have a ball socket/gasket like the R154 and W58, instead it has that cylindrical bushing - but that can be removed and a standard ball is underneath. You'd have to fab a simple spacer but I bet it'd work just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRaCTioNaL View Post
That must have sucked hard
Haha, yes. But totally worth it.

Supraforms: jong
1986.5 NA-T Supra (Sold)

2003 IS300 NA-T

http://www.chippernut.com/
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 06:54 PM
Enthusiast

Did you end up using Loctite on the black bolts? How'd that work out? I wanted to check fit so I did not glue the pieces together. I think I'll end up having the machine shop straighten the bend, shorten it by an inch and weld it together.

Other than the wobbliness because of the lack of bonding agent the shifts feel great.

Quote:
IS3TT

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 10:05 PM
Lurker

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jong1 View Post
I believe ShiftnGears is right, the Z-shaped shifter won't fit no matter which way you install it. It will hit the trim and/or push the knob so far back it'll be above your cup holders. The angled one is the way to go - and you have to do the 2.5" extension unless you want to cut out your transmission tunnel. No amount of hammering will resolve clearance issues.

What I was trying to say before is that the stock R154 shifter hits the plastic trim (center console cover w/ the cupholders, chrome bezel, ashtray, 12V socket, etc). The transmission does not hit the transmission tunnel if you mount it correctly. However, if you use the stock mount without spacers, it will impact the transmission tunnel. You have to lower it at least 1.5".

I also wouldn't recommend installing the trans w/ the shifter pre-installed. It sticks out like a sore thumb -- I think you'll know what I"m talking about when you do the swap. Do you have a vehicle lift? I did my swap on jack stands w/ just enough clearance to slide the R154 under the car... It was just as much fun as it sounds.

Good luck and please post up your experience w/ the shifter. I'm curious to see how you make it work.
Here is how the z shaped shifter fits into my r154.

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 07:38 AM
Frequenter

Quoted: 31 Post(s)

Can you install the shifter fulcrum assembly w/ that clearance?

How does it shift?

Will you have to cut out some of the tunnel or extend that hole?

If you can make this work without having to do too much modding to the tunnel, AND without the shifter extension, that's pretty awesome -- it definitely would save some folks some money and headache without modding the trans to get it to fit.

Supraforms: jong
1986.5 NA-T Supra (Sold)

2003 IS300 NA-T

http://www.chippernut.com/
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 08:44 AM
Enthusiast

This is what my shifter looked like when installed without any modification. I hated how it sat way too high and kinda tilted to the back.

Had a local machine shop remove the bend and weld the piece together (sorry for the sideways pic).

This is how it sits now. A bit further back than stock shifter but much better.

Overall this allowed me to be able to install the center console as my stock r154 shifter would nail the shit out of the chrome ring every time I shifted into 2nd and I had taken it off permanently. The throws are shortened considerably and needs some time getting used to but overall I'm happy with how it turned out.

Quote:
IS3TT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page