Buying my first Lexus IS300 (Need Advice) - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
 
Buying my first Lexus IS300 (Need Advice)

Hey guys. So i am new to the community and this will be my first Lexus IS300 and Lexus car in general. Coming from an MK4 VW and the vdub community. SO, I just need advice on purchasing this specific vehicle I was looking at today for purchase.

So here we go, The price of the car is 3500.

It is a 2001 4 Door Automatic in White Pearl with 117K Miles on it. Cosmetically, the exterior of the car needs work as the rear bumper needs to be replaced and the roof and hood have yellowing. Seems like with these cars, when the clear coat is going bad it starts to turn yellow because of age. Not the biggest of concern as for that price and year of the car, can't expect perfect paint.

The interior is kept very well maintained, no rips on the seats or anything of a sort. It comes with a Pioneer navigation system as well. No complains with that.

Now, Engine wise. I went ahead and checked for any type of liquid / leaks on it. There was nothing leaking and it was all dry. There was no unusual noises coming from the engine. Also checked the oil and it was fine. I was impressed at this point.

But, i asked the guy if he had done the important maintenance on the car, which is the timing belt / waterpump. The answer was NO and that he was not sure if the previous owner had done it either. The car has 117K miles currently and the guy had bought it from the previous owner at 100k. So who knows if the previous owner did the job or not. This is my biggest concern and this is where i need advice.

The thing is, i'll be able to get it done myself and just pay for the parts. But, i'll have to wait for shipping and I won't be able to get it done for another two or three weeks. So drive the car and risk timing belt or search else where. I really want the car and it seems like a really good deal for what i'm getting. But it's a tough decision because of the risk I would be taking.

I would appreciate any advice or concerns you guys have. Just looking for answers and what not. Thank you !
Oh Nah Its Vic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 09:22 PM
Fiend
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Wantagh
Posts: 277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
 
Dont pay anything over 2k for it... paints bad, 01 is the first year so no armrest if im right, no LSD idt, no manual, and if the timing belt isnt done at 117 thats not that good thats a 90k job. Thats $1000 job as well dont forget that.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hankpitz is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 11:55 AM
Frequenter
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Long Island, NewYork
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
           
Not sure where you are located and how many cars are available, but I might pass on this one as well. No history of maint. and the current owner has only had it for 17k miles? Two red flags for me. Even if you can do the 90k maint. yourself, the parts still add up. I bought a car last summer with just under 90k miles, and I had the 90k maint. completed within a week of owning the car...why take a risk.
But as Hank said, $3500 plus $500 or more for 90k maint. (parts only) you may be able to find a better deal, particularly with it being an '01. Search the IS300 facebook classifieds pages and you will see a bunch for sale....with good exteriors.

'04 MSM Sportcross, JoeZ intake w/ aFe dry filter, Cusco cooling plate & FSB-trunk bars
GXElover is offline  
 
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpitz View Post
Dont pay anything over 2k for it... paints bad, 01 is the first year so no armrest if im right, no LSD idt, no manual, and if the timing belt isnt done at 117 thats not that good thats a 90k job. Thats $1000 job as well dont forget that.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah i'm starting to realize, it's really not worth what he's asking for.
Oh Nah Its Vic is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 02:04 PM
Fiend
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Wantagh
Posts: 277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Nah Its Vic View Post
Yeah i'm starting to realize, it's really not worth what he's asking for.


Where are you located? Im always looking at IS300s so i have a couple nice ones i found for sale


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hankpitz is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GXElover View Post
Not sure where you are located and how many cars are available, but I might pass on this one as well. No history of maint. and the current owner has only had it for 17k miles? Two red flags for me. Even if you can do the 90k maint. yourself, the parts still add up. I bought a car last summer with just under 90k miles, and I had the 90k maint. completed within a week of owning the car...why take a risk.
But as Hank said, $3500 plus $500 or more for 90k maint. (parts only) you may be able to find a better deal, particularly with it being an '01. Search the IS300 facebook classifieds pages and you will see a bunch for sale....with good exteriors.
I'm in Upstate New York and Yeah I think i'm going to pass this one up and wait for something else to come up. It's too much of an unnecessary risk when I can just be patient and find something better. Also, i would search the classified's but I am new and can't access the section till 40-50 posts I think it was... So i'm screwed on that. I tried to go on FaceBook and join the IS300 for sale groups but they're closed groups. I haven't gotten accepted to it yet for a couple of days now. So i'm just waiting. None the less, thank you for the feedback guys !
Oh Nah Its Vic is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 02:08 PM
Fiend
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Wantagh
Posts: 277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
 
https://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/5981475906.html


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hankpitz is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpitz View Post
Where are you located? Im always looking at IS300s so i have a couple nice ones i found for sale


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am located Upstate New York, Hudson Valley area. That would be great because I don't have access to the Classifieds section yet and have not found anything suitable on CG.
Oh Nah Its Vic is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 02:10 PM
Fiend
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Wantagh
Posts: 277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Nah Its Vic View Post
I am located Upstate New York, Hudson Valley area. That would be great because I don't have access to the Classifieds section yet and have not found anything suitable on CG.


https://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/5981475906.html


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hankpitz is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpitz View Post
https://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/5981475906.html


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not bad. I was kind of looking for lower miles, but it seems that car has been maintained well. How long do these engines usually last? Mileage wise, with maintenance done on it obviously.
Oh Nah Its Vic is offline  
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 02:19 PM
Fiend
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Wantagh
Posts: 277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Nah Its Vic View Post
Not bad. I was kind of looking for lower miles, but it seems that car has been maintanence well. How long do these engines usually last? Mileage wise, with maintenance done on it obviously.


Your not gonna find a cleaner IS for sale idt that thing is a STEAL... lol the motors will last more than 400k miles. I got mine wit 55k miles 2 years ago and that was RARE. Its really hard to find these wit low miles


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hankpitz is offline  
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpitz View Post
Your not gonna find a cleaner IS for sale idt that thing is a STEAL... lol the motors will last more than 400k miles. I got mine wit 55k miles 2 years ago and that was RARE. Its really hard to find these wit low miles


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, you're right and I've heard these motors are bullet proof as long as you keep up on maintenance. If you find anything else let me know. I'll look into that one you sent me. Also, if you guys know anyone selling from the classified's nearby let me know. Thank you!
Oh Nah Its Vic is offline  
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 02:36 PM
Fiend
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Wantagh
Posts: 277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Nah Its Vic View Post
Yeah, you're right and I've heard these motors are bullet proof as long as you keep up on maintenance. If you find anything else let me know. I'll look into that one you sent me. Also, if you guys know anyone selling from the classified's nearby let me know. Thank you!


Anytime! Ill lyk


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hankpitz is offline  
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 04:53 PM
Frequenter
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Long Island, NewYork
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpitz View Post
https://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/5981475906.html


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
^^^This^^^ Its pretty much done, has LSD, has manual tranny, maint., newer paint, etc. You can also tell by the work and parts that the guy is an enthusiast. I rather buy a car from an enthusiast who took care of it, even if it is higher miles, than a lower mileage one with no history.
hankpitz likes this.

'04 MSM Sportcross, JoeZ intake w/ aFe dry filter, Cusco cooling plate & FSB-trunk bars
GXElover is offline  
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpitz View Post
Anytime! Ill lyk


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you.
hankpitz likes this.
Oh Nah Its Vic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > General Discussion

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome