Automatic Transmission Fluid Black - my.IS - Lexus IS Forum
Welcome to the newly redesigned my.IS website - Your source for IS200, IS250, IS300, IS350 and IS-F Information.

b

Register | Home | Forums | News | Photos | Content | FAQ | Advertise | Store

Go Back   my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > General Discussion
Register Home Forum Photos Active Topics / Realtime Garage iTrader User's Guide Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

My.is is the premier Lexus IS Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2009, 10:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

mute is an unknown at this point
Automatic Transmission Fluid Black

Hi i'm new on here i just bought a 2004 is300 automatic. Car is great engine is strong transmission is fine just that when checking the tran fluid it comes out black. i was warned about before purchasing but for the price i got it it is well worth it if i need to fix it. But i just want to knpw a couple of things

1. should i replace the fluid?

2. where should i go to replace the fluid?

3. How did it turn black?

4. If i dont replace am i still risking the transmission?

Thanks everyone
mute is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2009, 10:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Guru

digger08 is an elite community memberdigger08 is an elite community memberdigger08 is an elite community memberdigger08 is an elite community memberdigger08 is an elite community memberdigger08 is an elite community memberdigger08 is an elite community memberdigger08 is an elite community memberdigger08 is an elite community memberdigger08 is an elite community memberdigger08 is an elite community member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mute View Post
Hi i'm new on here i just bought a 2004 is300 automatic. Car is great engine is strong transmission is fine just that when checking the tran fluid it comes out black. i was warned about before purchasing but for the price i got it it is well worth it if i need to fix it. But i just want to knpw a couple of things

1. should i replace the fluid?

2. where should i go to replace the fluid?

3. How did it turn black?

4. If i dont replace am i still risking the transmission?

Thanks everyone
As you do not know the history of the vehicle, then replace it. You are at more risk to do nothing.

Firstly, consider the following. If replacing AT fluid in a vehicle that has never been serviced before, mileage will be important. There is a sudden cleaning effect that can cause more problems in higher mileage vehicles. Use caution!

The Lexus service interval on a first gen car is 60,000 miles. It can also be an indicator of a pre-existing problem. Do not do a flush, just change the fluid. New ATF fluid will clean the system sufficiently with out cleaners or chemicals. As you do not state the mileage, I would assume that however far past the service interval you are, proceed with caution. If close to it, do not worry too much.

Secondly, it is black or darkened because AT fluid transfers heat from metal components, this heat in turn, causes the fluid to oxidize. This is basically the fluid loosing it ability to perform its job properly and requires changing.
Excessive heat is the number reason for transmission failure in North America.

Change it at any service provider you feel confortable with. As you are not under warranty, just make sure your service provider is professional. If not there is also a DIY on this site on how to do it yourself.

Thirdly, make sure you use Toyota Type Tiv fluid. It is one of the best AT fluids in the market.

Digger08
digger08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 05-11-2009, 11:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
mtn
Aficionado

mtn is an elite community membermtn is an elite community membermtn is an elite community membermtn is an elite community membermtn is an elite community membermtn is an elite community membermtn is an elite community membermtn is an elite community membermtn is an elite community membermtn is an elite community membermtn is an elite community member
You should have not gotten that car. Did the fluid smell burnt? If yes then possibly the transmission has overheated/been abused. Check that it's actually purple and not black and smells burnt.

Take the car back unless you want to end up stranded with a burnt transmission.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Enthusiast

fiveohfour is an elite community memberfiveohfour is an elite community memberfiveohfour is an elite community memberfiveohfour is an elite community memberfiveohfour is an elite community memberfiveohfour is an elite community memberfiveohfour is an elite community memberfiveohfour is an elite community memberfiveohfour is an elite community memberfiveohfour is an elite community memberfiveohfour is an elite community member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn View Post
You should have not gotten that car. Did the fluid smell burnt? If yes then possibly the transmission has overheated/been abused. Check that it's actually purple and not black and smells burnt.

Take the car back unless you want to end up stranded with a burnt transmission.
^^ Do not go to these extremes - this is an overexaggeration, and frankly we do not have enough information on the car to determine this. The first response to this thread was the intelligent one and the way to approach it.

As stated, the natural heat produced by the transmission is what causes the discolor of the A/T Fluid. Even at 50,000 miles the fluid is noticeably darker. If your transmission isn't experiencing any real problems, change it with OEM Toyota fluid and you'll be golden.
fiveohfour is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 05-11-2009, 11:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for your replies, the car has 92K miles on it and from carfax reports it was serviced around 90k from a dealer as to what was done i have to go to the dealer and check. do you think it would be wise to just go to a lexus dealer and have it checked? the color is black i did not smell it should i smell after its been parked overnight or it doesnt matter?
Old 05-11-2009, 11:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

also is royale purple better for both oil and trans fluid?
Old 05-11-2009, 12:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Guru

digger08 is an elite community memberdigger08 is an elite community memberdigger08 is an elite community memberdigger08 is an elite community memberdigger08 is an elite community memberdigger08 is an elite community memberdigger08 is an elite community memberdigger08 is an elite community memberdigger08 is an elite community memberdigger08 is an elite community memberdigger08 is an elite community member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mute View Post
also is royale purple better for both oil and trans fluid?
Toyota Type T iv is one of the best ATF's in the market period. Why would you want to use anything else?

Tip: Burn't ATF smells like burn't popcorn. It does not matter when you check it, hot or cold it will smell the same.

AT 92,000 I would just change it. You will know you have a problem after...... as it will burn and darken quickly. If it does not, then it was just old and needed to be changed.

As you do not experience any drivabilty problems, use this as your common sense guide.

Digger08
digger08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 05-11-2009, 01:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Immortal

2006 ToyDrive Participant
acumenhokie is an elite community memberacumenhokie is an elite community memberacumenhokie is an elite community memberacumenhokie is an elite community memberacumenhokie is an elite community memberacumenhokie is an elite community memberacumenhokie is an elite community memberacumenhokie is an elite community memberacumenhokie is an elite community memberacumenhokie is an elite community memberacumenhokie is an elite community member
You can call the dealer and ask them what they did at the 90k service over the phone but it's safe to say that they didn't change it or they did and your tranny is really really hosed if it turned black in 2k miles (unlikely)
Old 05-12-2009, 12:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
Altruist

BobFrapples is an elite community memberBobFrapples is an elite community memberBobFrapples is an elite community memberBobFrapples is an elite community memberBobFrapples is an elite community memberBobFrapples is an elite community memberBobFrapples is an elite community memberBobFrapples is an elite community memberBobFrapples is an elite community memberBobFrapples is an elite community memberBobFrapples is an elite community member
According the manual, replacing the transmission fluid is not required at any time over the life of the vehicle under normal operating conditions. I believed the manual until recently and found my fluid pretty darn and not viscous. I had it changed (not flushed) and it's shifting smoother already. I'm going to change it again in about 5k miles with the oil change to further refresh/dilute/replace the old transmission fluid. Mine was dark, but didn't have a noticeable burnt smell. I was very nervous, but I think I'm okay for now.
BobFrapples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 05-12-2009, 01:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
mtn
Aficionado

mtn is an elite community membermtn is an elite community membermtn is an elite community membermtn is an elite community membermtn is an elite community membermtn is an elite community membermtn is an elite community membermtn is an elite community membermtn is an elite community membermtn is an elite community membermtn is an elite community member
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohfour View Post
^^ Do not go to these extremes - this is an overexaggeration, and frankly we do not have enough information on the car to determine this. The first response to this thread was the intelligent one and the way to approach it.

As stated, the natural heat produced by the transmission is what causes the discolor of the A/T Fluid. Even at 50,000 miles the fluid is noticeably darker. If your transmission isn't experiencing any real problems, change it with OEM Toyota fluid and you'll be golden.
If it smells burnt, then you know that transmission overheated. I may have jumped conclusions, but if the fluid was burnt, then say hello to tranny problems.
Advertisement

my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the my.IS - Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)