IS300 Power Steering Flush - my.IS - Lexus IS Forum
Welcome to the newly redesigned my.IS website - Your source for IS200, IS250, IS300, IS350 and IS-F Information.

b

Register | Home | Forums | News | Photos | Content | FAQ | Advertise | Store

Go Back   my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > Site News & FAQs > FAQ > Maintenance and Repair
Register Home Forum Photos Active Topics / Realtime Garage iTrader User's Guide Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

My.is is the premier Lexus IS Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2007, 04:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Extremist

longnights is an elite community memberlongnights is an elite community memberlongnights is an elite community memberlongnights is an elite community memberlongnights is an elite community memberlongnights is an elite community memberlongnights is an elite community memberlongnights is an elite community memberlongnights is an elite community memberlongnights is an elite community memberlongnights is an elite community member
IS300 Power Steering Flush

Thanks to Hiroshima for this DIY as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroshima View Post
DISCLAIMER: The procedures, methods and products written up here was for my circumstances only and were performed on a 2001 Automatic. I make no promises that your results will be the same nor do I claim that this is the best way to do it. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Time Required: 1 hour

Parts Required: 2 quarts Dextron III ATF

Tools Needed:
- Needle Nose Pliers
- Turkey Baster
- 16-18" length of 5/16"ID 7/16" OD clear flexible Tubing.

- short length of 7/16"ID tubing.
- Bright Flash Light
- Second Person

Start with a cool car.

Step 1: Using a Turkey baster or another suction device, remove as much of the fluid in the Power Steering Reservoir as possible.

Step 2: Remove clip on return line and remove line from reservoir. There will likely be fluid in this hose, try to catch it with a bag.

Step 3: Plug return line nipple. I used a piece of 7/16" silicon tubing and clamped one end.

Step 4: Shove 5/16" clear tubing into return line. Have a catch can ready to recover old fluid that will come out of this tube.

Step 5: Refill power steering reservoir with fresh ATF until full.
Step 6: ****DO NOT START YOUR CAR**** Have your helper *slowly* turn the wheel to full lock in either direction. This will pull fluid from the reservoir and push it out the return line.
Step 7: Have helper turn the wheel slowly the other direction. Make sure that you keep the reservoir full. Do not allow the system to run dry or get air into the system.
Step 8: When the fluid starts to come out clean, apx 1.5 quarts for me, reattach return line to reservoir.
Step 9: Fill or remove fluid so that the fluid is at the proper cold level.
Step 10: Replace cap and start the car. Turn wheel slowly from lock to lock 3 times. Let idle for 2-3 minutes. Stop car.
Step 11: Using bight flashlight look inside the reservoir and check to see if the fluid is emulsified. (Lots of little bubbles, like the fluid was whipped with a egg beater) It should not be, and mine was not. If it looks foamy, go to bleed procedure, otherwise you are done.

Pic of Old Fluid vs New Fluid:

Bleed Procedure.
If you have fluid that is emulsified, you have somehow gotten air into the system.
Step 1: Jack up Front of car.
Step 2: Turn wheel from left to right slowly 3 times with engine off.
Step 3: Lower Car
Step 4: Start car. Turn wheel slowly from lock to lock 3 times. Hold wheel at each end of lock for 2-3 seconds and then turn the other direction.
Step 5: Let idle for 2-3 minutes. Stop car. If you still have bubbles, go back to step 2. Bleeding the system should take note more than 3 rounds of this.

2002 IS300 5mt. MSM stock for now
Cobra Project:
FFR MKIII '65 Cobra Replicar - 427 cid V-8 (thats 7.0 liters) engine 525hp/520lb-ft torque at the flywheel (and this is in a 2200 pound car) Painted Lexus Spectra Blue Mica with GM Arctic White stripes -- now street legal
longnights is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > Site News & FAQs > FAQ > Maintenance and Repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the my.IS - Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)