IS300 How To Change License Plate Lights - my.IS - Lexus IS Forum
Welcome to the newly redesigned my.IS website - Your source for IS200, IS250, IS300, IS350 and IS-F Information.

b

Register | Home | Forums | News | Photos | Content | FAQ | Advertise | Store

Go Back   my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > Site News & FAQs > FAQ > Lighting
Register Home Forum Photos Active Topics / Realtime Garage iTrader User's Guide Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

My.is is the premier Lexus IS Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2007, 06:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Extremist

longnights is an elite community memberlongnights is an elite community memberlongnights is an elite community memberlongnights is an elite community memberlongnights is an elite community memberlongnights is an elite community memberlongnights is an elite community memberlongnights is an elite community memberlongnights is an elite community memberlongnights is an elite community memberlongnights is an elite community member
IS300 How To Change License Plate Lights

Thanks to SophieSleeps who originally created this How-To.

[quote=SophieSleeps;2289247]For those of you too stoooopid to follow my last instructions, or too stoooooopid to search. Here they are.

1. Open your damn trunk.

2. Unscrew the handle with a phillips screwdriver

3. Pull out plastic pins that hold the trunk liner in. You don't need all of them out, only the ones that hold one side of the trunk lid.
(Hint: take some bell wire or something and run it through the head of the plastic pins. Then pull the wire with a set of pliers.)

4. Remove the girlfriend release lever. Stand behine the rear bumper and face the front of the car.
Take a small flathead and push it inside the two holes inside the case of the GF release lever. One hole is on the Drivers side. One hole is towards the rear of the car.
Once these two sides of the GF release lever are loose, Pull the whole casing towards the rear of the car and the other 2 sides should come loose.

5. Remove the cover to the trunk lock. Squeeze both sides as shown in the picture. Then pull it off.

6. There are 4 nuts that hold the license garnish on. I believe they are 8mm. Remove these gold nuts. 2 are on the lock mechanism.

7. Unclip the light connector

8. TRICKY STEP READ CAREFULLY: Remove the license plate garnish. To do this, you have to pull the garnish off while pushing on a plastic pin inside the inside of the trunk lid.
Look at the picture below and you will see a white plastic tip. Use a flathead to depress the tip. Then pull the garnish off. Repeat for the other side.

9. Here is what the garnish looks like

10. You are now left with the license light assembly's

TRICKY STEP READ CAREFULLY:
To remove them, push them towards the center of the car, then pull the outer side (this is not pictured as so) of the light assembly out of the socket.

11. Twist out the bulb and replace with whatever one you desire.

12. Re-Assemble.

2002 IS300 5mt. MSM stock for now
Cobra Project:
FFR MKIII '65 Cobra Replicar - 427 cid V-8 (thats 7.0 liters) engine 525hp/520lb-ft torque at the flywheel (and this is in a 2200 pound car) Painted Lexus Spectra Blue Mica with GM Arctic White stripes -- now street legal
longnights is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2010, 10:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lurker

my.IS Supporter
shark7 is an elite community membershark7 is an elite community membershark7 is an elite community membershark7 is an elite community membershark7 is an elite community membershark7 is an elite community membershark7 is an elite community membershark7 is an elite community membershark7 is an elite community membershark7 is an elite community membershark7 is an elite community member
This tutorial helped me yesterday.. just saying thanks!! and +rep. Also on this one, as well as the original thread, after I find it again. Snapped a few pics, too, but don't think I need to post them.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Frequenter

Killer_VVTi is an elite community memberKiller_VVTi is an elite community memberKiller_VVTi is an elite community memberKiller_VVTi is an elite community memberKiller_VVTi is an elite community memberKiller_VVTi is an elite community memberKiller_VVTi is an elite community memberKiller_VVTi is an elite community memberKiller_VVTi is an elite community memberKiller_VVTi is an elite community memberKiller_VVTi is an elite community member
Back from the dead ... Just did this today. I got white LEDs and they look fantastic!
Old 07-22-2011, 10:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

Meadow is an unknown at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer_VVTi View Post
Back from the dead ... Just did this today. I got white LEDs and they look fantastic!
Nice.. Where did you find the LED's. How much were they?
Meadow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 10-17-2011, 12:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

TonED is an unknown at this point
Good Job. Right on instructions.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Frequenter

Touge IS is an elite community memberTouge IS is an elite community memberTouge IS is an elite community memberTouge IS is an elite community memberTouge IS is an elite community memberTouge IS is an elite community memberTouge IS is an elite community memberTouge IS is an elite community memberTouge IS is an elite community memberTouge IS is an elite community memberTouge IS is an elite community member
Just did this today. Super easy!
Touge IS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 07-30-2012, 09:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Aficionado

FactoryIS is an elite community memberFactoryIS is an elite community memberFactoryIS is an elite community memberFactoryIS is an elite community memberFactoryIS is an elite community memberFactoryIS is an elite community memberFactoryIS is an elite community memberFactoryIS is an elite community memberFactoryIS is an elite community memberFactoryIS is an elite community memberFactoryIS is an elite community member
Thx a bunch! I needed to add this to my diy list!

5 MT | HEATED MIRRORS & FULL BLK LEATHER | TRAC/SNOW | NAVI | BLK DASH | LSD | SUNROOF

Lug nut... Fixed it!
FactoryIS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 11-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

PNW IS300 is an unknown at this point
Thank you!

I love the Internet and forums like this. Your instructions probably saved me about $90 in labor charges. I have to left-thumbs and still got this job done in 30 minutes.. and part of that was going back to read your great instructions.
PNW IS300 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 11-04-2012, 11:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Frequenter

joeycchendds is an elite community memberjoeycchendds is an elite community memberjoeycchendds is an elite community memberjoeycchendds is an elite community memberjoeycchendds is an elite community memberjoeycchendds is an elite community memberjoeycchendds is an elite community memberjoeycchendds is an elite community memberjoeycchendds is an elite community memberjoeycchendds is an elite community memberjoeycchendds is an elite community member
194 168 5SMD LED is what I bought. From Advanced German Technology. Found it on Amazon. Great deal!
joeycchendds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 11-05-2012, 08:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
Frequenter

joeycchendds is an elite community memberjoeycchendds is an elite community memberjoeycchendds is an elite community memberjoeycchendds is an elite community memberjoeycchendds is an elite community memberjoeycchendds is an elite community memberjoeycchendds is an elite community memberjoeycchendds is an elite community memberjoeycchendds is an elite community memberjoeycchendds is an elite community memberjoeycchendds is an elite community member
I got AGT Advanced German Technology from Amazon.com. From Seller Speed Shop. Very NICE quality and the brightest even compared to other similar looking 5 SMD LEDS
Old 11-06-2012, 10:25 AM   #11 (permalink)
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnights View Post
Thanks to SophieSleeps who originally created this How-To.
Thank you so much. It was a lot harder than my camry but very satisfying to completely finish it
Old 03-30-2013, 04:53 PM   #12 (permalink)

Blue One is an unknown at this point
thanks for the repair tips ~ this is a bit different from my first car a 1969 Camaro. lamp replacements were easier then. with your help I installed two new bulbs and the cops will stop pulling me over. $100 (at least at the dealer) is what you saved me, and perhaps another blessing, no reason for the cops to do their thing. not bad 2001 to today, 160K and finally I had these bulbs go out. moisture getting through, i need to replenish the foam backing on the lamp cases to keep H2O out of my trunk lid...
Blue One is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 04-07-2013, 12:04 PM   #13 (permalink)

bogey883 is an elite community memberbogey883 is an elite community memberbogey883 is an elite community memberbogey883 is an elite community memberbogey883 is an elite community memberbogey883 is an elite community memberbogey883 is an elite community memberbogey883 is an elite community memberbogey883 is an elite community memberbogey883 is an elite community memberbogey883 is an elite community member
PERFECT WRITE UP! Took me about 15-20 minutes to do.

Definitely worth purchasing a panel clip remover. $9.99 or less and good to have around.
bogey883 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 12-04-2013, 12:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
Lurker

IS.ick is an elite community memberIS.ick is an elite community memberIS.ick is an elite community memberIS.ick is an elite community memberIS.ick is an elite community memberIS.ick is an elite community memberIS.ick is an elite community memberIS.ick is an elite community memberIS.ick is an elite community memberIS.ick is an elite community memberIS.ick is an elite community member
Trying to figure out which type of LED's bulbs are needed for this mod?

Best I've been able to find is a 194 LED bulb, but it looks like I need them as a panel?
IS.ick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 12-14-2013, 12:36 PM   #15 (permalink)

ciel is an unknown at this point
Thanks for the description, you saved me some scratches and broken plastic :-)
ciel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > Site News & FAQs > FAQ > Lighting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the my.IS - Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)