Thanks to SophieSleeps who originally created this How-To.
[quote=SophieSleeps;2289247]For those of you too stoooopid to follow my last instructions, or too stoooooopid to search. Here they are.
1. Open your damn trunk.
2. Unscrew the handle with a phillips screwdriver
3. Pull out plastic pins that hold the trunk liner in. You don't need all of them out, only the ones that hold one side of the trunk lid.
(Hint: take some bell wire or something and run it through the head of the plastic pins. Then pull the wire with a set of pliers.)
4. Remove the girlfriend release lever. Stand behine the rear bumper and face the front of the car.
Take a small flathead and push it inside the two holes inside the case of the GF release lever. One hole is on the Drivers side. One hole is towards the rear of the car.
Once these two sides of the GF release lever are loose, Pull the whole casing towards the rear of the car and the other 2 sides should come loose.
5. Remove the cover to the trunk lock. Squeeze both sides as shown in the picture. Then pull it off.
6. There are 4 nuts that hold the license garnish on. I believe they are 8mm. Remove these gold nuts. 2 are on the lock mechanism.
7. Unclip the light connector
8. TRICKY STEP READ CAREFULLY: Remove the license plate garnish. To do this, you have to pull the garnish off while pushing on a plastic pin inside the inside of the trunk lid.
Look at the picture below and you will see a white plastic tip. Use a flathead to depress the tip. Then pull the garnish off. Repeat for the other side.
9. Here is what the garnish looks like
10. You are now left with the license light assembly's
TRICKY STEP READ CAREFULLY:
To remove them, push them towards the center of the car, then pull the outer side
(this is not pictured as so) of the light assembly out of the socket.
11. Twist out the bulb and replace with whatever one you desire.