01-05 Lexus IS300 KEY/REMOTE PROGRAM INSTRUCTIONS - my.IS - Lexus IS Forum
Welcome to the newly redesigned my.IS website - Your source for IS200, IS250, IS300, IS350 and IS-F Information.

b

Register | Home | Forums | News | Photos | Content | FAQ | Advertise | Store

Go Back   my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > Content > Tech Guides and How-To
Register Home Forum Photos Active Topics / Realtime Garage iTrader User's Guide Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

My.is is the premier Lexus IS Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2010, 01:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

import_racer_1 is an elite community memberimport_racer_1 is an elite community memberimport_racer_1 is an elite community memberimport_racer_1 is an elite community memberimport_racer_1 is an elite community memberimport_racer_1 is an elite community memberimport_racer_1 is an elite community memberimport_racer_1 is an elite community memberimport_racer_1 is an elite community memberimport_racer_1 is an elite community memberimport_racer_1 is an elite community member
01-05 Lexus IS300 KEY/REMOTE PROGRAM INSTRUCTIONS

One of the original MASTER key fobs broke and I ordered a new MASTER key uncut. Afterwards, I cut it for $40. The locksmith wanted to charge me $80 to program the key to the car. I thought, "how hard can it be to program the key and remote?", so I searched and came across the instructions below. I managed to get them before the site was SHUT DOWN.

It worked for my 2004 Lexus IS300.
I did get feedback from another IS300 owner stating it worked for him as well. So I wanted to post it here, and hopefully it get sticky and stays on the site forever

Hopefully it helps someone out there. and this is not a re-post, I did not find it anywhere and wanted to share it you IS300 Enthusiasts.

Key Programming
1. Insert an already programmed master key into the ignition. Do not turn.
2. Press and release the gas pedal 5 times.
3. Press and release the brake pedal 6 times.
4. Remove the key from the ignition.
5. Insert the new key you want to program into the ignition.
6. Press and release the gas pedal one time.
7. Wait 1 minute. The security light will be blinking for this one minute. When it stops blinking your key is programmed. To end programming step on the brake one time.

Note: Look for your security light. This light will guide you during the programming procedure. The security light will go off at Step 1. It will remain off until Step 6. The security light will be come on and start blink after Step 6 until the key is programmed. If the security light comes on after Step 4 STOP the procedure and start over again.

If you perform this procedure too slowly your car will not go into programming mode. If you can not get your car to go into programming mode make sure you are using a master key and not a valet key. If you have a master key then you will probably need to perform this procedure more quickly.

Remote Programming
1. Close and lock all doors. Unlock and open drivers door.
2. Put key into ignition and remove. Do not turn it on.
3. Using the electric lock switch. Lock and unlock 5 times. (Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock)
4. Close and open drivers door.
5. Using the electric lock switch. Lock and unlock 5 times.(Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock)
6. Put key into ignition. Turn to "ON", turn off and remove.
7. You will see the door locks cycle by themselves.

If the door lock do not cycle (lock, unlock) by themselves then the car isn't in programming mode and you must start over.

8. On the remove. Press and hold Lock and Unlock button at the same time for no more than 2 seconds.
9. On the remote, press the Lock button for no more than 1 second.

AT THIS POINT. The locks should cycle by themselves ONE time. This means the procedure was accepted.

IF the locks cycle TWICE it have failed.

The most common reason for programming failure is because the car didn't receive a good signal from the remove. To fix this problem try these tips. 1) Stand outside of the car while you are performing step 8 and 9. 2) Don't hold the remove buttons down as long.

As long as the car is still in programming mode you can keep trying step 8 and 9 until you complete the programming. If you wait too long and the car exits the programming mode then you must start over.

After you get the remote to program then continue on with step 10.

10) Close and open door to end programming procedure.

ENJOY....PLEASE POST WHETHER IT WORKED OR NOT ..HOPEFULLY IT WORKED
import_racer_1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2010, 08:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

golfntyme is an elite community membergolfntyme is an elite community membergolfntyme is an elite community membergolfntyme is an elite community membergolfntyme is an elite community membergolfntyme is an elite community membergolfntyme is an elite community membergolfntyme is an elite community membergolfntyme is an elite community membergolfntyme is an elite community membergolfntyme is an elite community member
Great explanation!

I was getting stuck on the remote programming where during step 8&9 when it would cycle 2 times instead of 1... I'll be trying this tomorrow first thing... Thanks!
Old 03-06-2010, 07:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

golfntyme is an elite community membergolfntyme is an elite community membergolfntyme is an elite community membergolfntyme is an elite community membergolfntyme is an elite community membergolfntyme is an elite community membergolfntyme is an elite community membergolfntyme is an elite community membergolfntyme is an elite community membergolfntyme is an elite community membergolfntyme is an elite community member
I just did it today and it worked perfectly!

I purchased a blank key/shell off of eBay and a blank transponder key with no remote. I purchased a used remote from an RX350 which the FCID matched from my original so I assumed it would work.. WHich it did... I got both of them cut for $31 at Fortress Safe and Lock here in Springdale Ohio. Then I proceeded to program the transponder key first. After I did that I Placed the used remote in my new shell and went through the transponder programming that then directly afterword I programed the remote...

I used the above directions (for Immobilization chip) and I'll tell you the key points to follow... Make sure you are doing the pedals 5 acc,6 brake... Very quickly. As he notes that the Security light will be a determining factor in what stage of the programming you're in.

For the remote programming I made sure to be speedy when pressing the two lock/unlock together and quickly moving onto pressing the lock button... Sure enough it worked!!!!

Thanks for the Directions
Old 05-13-2010, 12:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

bowles.53 is an unknown at this point
I have one master key for the ignition (2001 IS300) and I would like to get another master key so that I have two keys that will work to unlock and run the car. What do I need to purchase? I have seen several things online that range from 25 to 150 dollars, but I don't know what I need exactly.

Any help would be appriciated.
Thank You
bowles.53 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 09-27-2010, 12:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

wcanyon is an unknown at this point
I've had a lot of issues with the remote unlock programming. I've got an 01 IS300. I absolutely cannot get it to step 7 (Locks cycle by themselves). I've successfully programmed the key to start the car, so I'm fairly sure the key works.

The only issue that I can see is that when I lock/unlock the drivers side lock is "sticky" -- it sometimes gets stuck in Lock when I press Lock then Unlock quickly. It's worse on hot days. Maybe there's something in the door that needs to be lubed up? Maybe this is interfering with putting the car into programming mode?
wcanyon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 09-27-2010, 12:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

wcanyon is an unknown at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowles.53 View Post
What do I need to purchase? I have seen several things online that range from 25 to 150 dollars, but I don't know what I need exactly.
I recently purchased one for about $80 off of ebay (keysstar?). It's been fine, other than issues getting the car into programming mode, which I assume has nothing to do with the key. Just make sure you get one that has the key and remote! I mistakenly ordered one that had a *picture* of a key with remote but didn't include the remote and said so in the listing. Didn't read close enough!
wcanyon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 10-22-2010, 06:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
dms
Frequenter

dms is an elite community memberdms is an elite community memberdms is an elite community memberdms is an elite community memberdms is an elite community memberdms is an elite community memberdms is an elite community memberdms is an elite community memberdms is an elite community memberdms is an elite community memberdms is an elite community member
I bought a used (and abused) 2001 with no remote keys. The dealer wasn't sure if any of the non-remote keys I had were master keys so wanted to charge me a ludicrous amount of money to change out the ECU and buy/program new keys.

Out of curiosity, I tried to get the car into programming mode with the keys I had. I got to step #4 and the security light took around 15 seconds to turn on after I removed the key whereas normally it comes back on within 2-3 seconds. Encouraged, I bought an $80 "genuine" remote key from e-bay, had it cut for $25 and tried these instructions. Initially, it didn't work. I did some more searching and one guide recommended pressing the throttle peddle instead of the brake peddle in step #6. In doing that, the key programmed just fine and I was then able to program the remote part of it without issue.

The moral of the story is, regardless of what the dealer or forums say, if you can get to step #4 and the security light stays off for a significant amount of time, even a 2001 can have new master keys added using this method. It's trivial to try and can potentially save you a huge amount of money. I was very, very pleased.
dms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 10-30-2010, 12:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Frequenter

chicotunner07 is an elite community memberchicotunner07 is an elite community memberchicotunner07 is an elite community memberchicotunner07 is an elite community memberchicotunner07 is an elite community memberchicotunner07 is an elite community memberchicotunner07 is an elite community memberchicotunner07 is an elite community memberchicotunner07 is an elite community memberchicotunner07 is an elite community memberchicotunner07 is an elite community member
Just used this to program a new key!

WORKED AWESOME!!
chicotunner07 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 01-30-2011, 10:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Follower

stirlingw is an elite community memberstirlingw is an elite community memberstirlingw is an elite community memberstirlingw is an elite community memberstirlingw is an elite community memberstirlingw is an elite community memberstirlingw is an elite community memberstirlingw is an elite community memberstirlingw is an elite community memberstirlingw is an elite community memberstirlingw is an elite community member
Can you program what looks like the RX 330 master remote for the IS 300?

Here's the listing:

LEXUS REMOTE KEY UNCUT - eBay (item 300519102873 end time Feb-24-11 15:27:07 PST)

Please let me know, thanks!

+ 2JZ-GTE IS300 +

stirlingw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 02-07-2011, 10:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

import_racer_1 is an elite community memberimport_racer_1 is an elite community memberimport_racer_1 is an elite community memberimport_racer_1 is an elite community memberimport_racer_1 is an elite community memberimport_racer_1 is an elite community memberimport_racer_1 is an elite community memberimport_racer_1 is an elite community memberimport_racer_1 is an elite community memberimport_racer_1 is an elite community memberimport_racer_1 is an elite community member
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirlingw View Post
Can you program what looks like the RX 330 master remote for the IS 300?

Here's the listing:

LEXUS REMOTE KEY UNCUT - eBay (item 300519102873 end time Feb-24-11 15:27:07 PST)

Please let me know, thanks!
No! Sorry. It won't work. I tried it does not accept it
Old 02-08-2011, 04:58 AM   #11 (permalink)
Lurker

Kritiq is an elite community memberKritiq is an elite community memberKritiq is an elite community memberKritiq is an elite community memberKritiq is an elite community memberKritiq is an elite community memberKritiq is an elite community memberKritiq is an elite community memberKritiq is an elite community memberKritiq is an elite community memberKritiq is an elite community member
Save me some big bucks!!

Guam KEY AND LOCK is where i went to get my keys. for the longest time i have had only one key(thats all they gave me) and it came to a point where the the key broke off.. had to get a new one made (just cut because i still had the remote) and a new one made and reprogrammed. IT WAS GONNA COST ME $235 for i new cut shell and a new remote programmed. I AM SO GLAD he didnt figure it out. same day i looked this up and follow the instructions. for the most part the guy was doing it right UP TIL STEP 8 & 9.. he didnt hold the the unlock and lock button for two second. PHEW!! it kept giving him the program fail sign. i did it myself and took four tries (because i failed to keep reading about the part that it stayed in program mode and that you had to stand outside the car to get a better signal) but i got it done. it took the locksmith i dont know how many times, (took about an hour) and still failed. now i need to call him up tomorrow and tell him i programmed it. HAHAHAHA>>

THANKS ALOT GUYS!!

-2001 Lexus IS300
-2001 Toyota Tacoma
-1988 Toyota Hilux
Kritiq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 03-16-2011, 06:14 PM   #12 (permalink)

RedREGA is an unknown at this point
Hi Guys,

I'm new here. I have a 2006 IS250. I bought it used and I only got one key. I also bought a used remote from eBay and had the key cut and I tested it and it worked. The problem is that I then took the remote to the local dealer in Guam and they tried to reprogram it and it took over an hour and they came back and told me they couldn't do it. They didn't charge me for the time they took. I see that people have successfully reprogrammed their car to accept the used keys from eBay.

I see that the instructions linked previously on the thread are for IS models up to 2005.

Can anyone here confirm that these instructions work for a 2006 model? Are the instructions just for locking/unlocking the car and will it be able to be used to start the car with the push button start?
RedREGA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 03-23-2011, 12:51 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedREGA View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm new here. I have a 2006 IS250. I bought it used and I only got one key. I also bought a used remote from eBay and had the key cut and I tested it and it worked. The problem is that I then took the remote to the local dealer in Guam and they tried to reprogram it and it took over an hour and they came back and told me they couldn't do it. They didn't charge me for the time they took. I see that people have successfully reprogrammed their car to accept the used keys from eBay.

I see that the instructions linked previously on the thread are for IS models up to 2005.

Can anyone here confirm that these instructions work for a 2006 model? Are the instructions just for locking/unlocking the car and will it be able to be used to start the car with the push button start?
The instructions above are only 01-05 IS300. Sorry. I tried looking for IS250 Remote Instruction to program the remote. No Luck. If I find any, I will get back to you. PM ME. We will talk.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:25 PM   #14 (permalink)

RedREGA is an unknown at this point
Thanks for the reply. I found a separate part of the forum that discussed the 06 models and I was told that only the dealer can do this but I was told how they were supposed to do it so it was more of a bit of incompetence on the service technician's part.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
Lurker

sdotsen is an unknown at this point
So I received my cut key from Sewell after sending them a blank key i purchased off ebay. Included w/ the key purchase was instructions on how to program the remote and the key. The remote worked fine but I was having issues w/ the transponder part. I started to get discourage when I read somewhere that one wouldnt be able to program a 2001 model. I believe I have a 2002, but i remember Lexus saying I had a 2001 at one point. Anyways, I was about to give up (sitting in the car going through various methods and working up a sweat), until I came across this post. It f'n worked!

All of the other instructions I read had me starting the car or turning the key to the "On" position. I followed your instructions and it worked on the first attempt. Thanks so much!
sdotsen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > Content > Tech Guides and How-To

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the my.IS - Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)