The DRC Motorsports Lexus IS 350's maiden race - my.IS - Lexus IS Forum
Welcome to the newly redesigned my.IS website - Your source for IS200, IS250, IS300, IS350 and IS-F Information.

b

Register | Home | Forums | News | Photos | Content | FAQ | Advertise | Store

Go Back   my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > Site News & FAQs > News > Motorsports News
Register Home Forum Photos Active Topics / Realtime Garage iTrader User's Guide Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

My.is is the premier Lexus IS Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2008, 04:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Übercargeek

my.IS Supporter Roundtable Panelist 2005 ToyDrive Participant 2006 ToyDrive Participant
jruhi4 is an elite community memberjruhi4 is an elite community memberjruhi4 is an elite community memberjruhi4 is an elite community memberjruhi4 is an elite community memberjruhi4 is an elite community memberjruhi4 is an elite community memberjruhi4 is an elite community memberjruhi4 is an elite community memberjruhi4 is an elite community memberjruhi4 is an elite community member
The DRC Motorsports Lexus IS 350's maiden race

The DRC Motorsports Lexus IS 350's maiden race-_g2w8646_2.jpgU.S. Lexus fans' hopes for seeing a 2nd-generation IS on the racetrack were finally fulfilled by its inaugural competitive outing at the fifth round of the 2008 SPEED World Challenge GT Series season, at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in Lexington on Sunday 20 July 2008 at 4 PM. As reported in a recent my.IS Front Page story, DRC Motorsports has big plans for its two-car team of Lexus IS racers. But, just as an infant needs to learn to crawl before he becomes a walking toddler, any new motorsports racing effort needs to start deliberately and cautiously, and the decision was made to start partway through the 2008 season with one car, the #72, driven by Jeff Altenburg, competing at Mid-Ohio.

Wiser heads prevailed at DRC Motorsports regarding the tenuous stretch of a connection between these Lexus IS racers and the IS F, and, rather than continuing to call these SPEED GT cars Lexus IS GTF (as they were referred to in the initial Press Release received by my.IS), all the links from the SPEED World Challenge website's 2008 Mid-Ohio page more properly call it a Lexus IS 350, as does Jeff Altenburg's website. Although, if you're going to be really proper about it, IS 470 would be its more correct name. And, while noting DRC Motorsports driver Robb Holland's (my.IS member WC IS350 GT) denials, this author sides with the majority of observers in seeing the DRC Motorsports Lexus IS 350 as built up from the stillborn Team Lexus American Le Mans Series GT2-S IS350 racers.

The DRC Motorsports Lexus IS 350's maiden race-_g2w8547_2.jpgThe #72 DRC Motorsports Lexus IS 350 made its initial Mid-Ohio appearance during the second practice session, but entered pit lane before completing a full practice lap. The team opted to sit out qualifying, as well, and, thus, started at the very back of the pack of the 30-car SPEED World Challenge Grand Touring class grid. Still, it would be unrealistic to expect blazing qualifying times or podium finishes from the very first race in a new, unproven car. After all, the whole point and purpose of running an abbreviated 2008 season is in gaining valuable track time and experience that would enable the DRC Motorsports team to make more of a strong, full-on assault for the 2009 season. Yet, never underestimate 2007 SPEED World Challenge Touring Car Champion Jeff Altenburg, for he managed to finish the race in 24th place, only one lap down from the first 19 cars, and ahead of five Dodge Vipers and a Chevrolet Corvette, delivering a very credible first effort.

The race will be televised on SPEED TV on Thursday 24 July 2008 at 10 AM Pacific Time / 11 AM Mountain Time / 12 Noon Central Time / 1 PM Eastern Time.

The next race in the series, at Road America in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin, will take place on Sunday 10 August. That event should see the team's second Lexus IS 350 racer ready to compete and driven by Robb Holland.

Our thanks go out to the official SPEED World Challenge website for this information, and to the Jeff Altenburg Motorsports website for the photographs accompanying this article.
Attached Thumbnails
The DRC Motorsports Lexus IS 350's maiden race-_g2w8646_2.jpg   The DRC Motorsports Lexus IS 350's maiden race-_g2w8547_2.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2008, 08:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Guru

my.IS Supporter 2006 ToyDrive Participant
Squareback is an elite community memberSquareback is an elite community memberSquareback is an elite community memberSquareback is an elite community memberSquareback is an elite community memberSquareback is an elite community memberSquareback is an elite community memberSquareback is an elite community memberSquareback is an elite community memberSquareback is an elite community memberSquareback is an elite community member
Got a couple glimpses of the IS-F350GT during the race. I think he improved 4 positions and it made it the whole race, so that is good. Everybody was slipping and a sliding. That Aston Martin looked awesome.

Also saw the Touring Race, Robb customized his hood on the second turn.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Aficionado

Stark is an elite community memberStark is an elite community memberStark is an elite community memberStark is an elite community memberStark is an elite community memberStark is an elite community memberStark is an elite community memberStark is an elite community memberStark is an elite community memberStark is an elite community memberStark is an elite community member
The car looked awesome on the track and I was pleased that the SPEED announcers made a few references to it... I guess it is hard to ignore when Altenburg is at the wheel though I can't wait 'till they are able to race it 'for real'

Ditto on the Aston Martin - I really hope they get some sponsorship! That car will make the Road America race a little more interesting, I'll bet... The pass on that CTS was sick!

Official CO State IS Index
Stark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 07-28-2008, 04:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Frequenter

babylexedd is an elite community memberbabylexedd is an elite community memberbabylexedd is an elite community memberbabylexedd is an elite community memberbabylexedd is an elite community memberbabylexedd is an elite community memberbabylexedd is an elite community memberbabylexedd is an elite community memberbabylexedd is an elite community memberbabylexedd is an elite community memberbabylexedd is an elite community member
Looked good out there.
babylexedd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > Site News & FAQs > News > Motorsports News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the my.IS - Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)