User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

2014 IS Nav Screen Size

Is there anyone else like me baffled at why Lexus chose to go with such a small screen size on the redesigned IS? I love everything about this car but I'm not exaggerating when I say that the size of the navigation screen might kill my purchase of this car. I can't stand looking at the black bars on either side of the screen. It's almost as if one engineer designed the car for a 10 inch screen and then another engineer decided that it was 25 dollars too expensive and decided to stuff a 8 inch screen into the car instead. I mean, seriously. Compared to the GS this is just unacceptable.

It's not the absolute screen size of the nav that's driving me insane, but rather the emtpy spaces around the screen. Had the frame been the correct size, it wouldn't look as bad. I seriously hope they update that nav in the next couple years to a full 10 inch screen. I'm literally willing to put off my purchase for this update.

By saving the large screen for the GS, as a potential IS customer, it doesn't make me want to purchase the GS. It just makes potential buyers upset. I doubt GS owners would feel too differently had the IS or ES received the larger screens.

Even the redesigned ES doesn't look that bad compared to the IS. They both have the exact same 8 inch screen. It's all about the molding around the screen.

04 IS300 GGP|5-Spd

Last edited by Stanri010; 06-08-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Garage
I agree completely, I was just driving a 2012 ES today as a loaner from my Lexus dealer while my 2014 IS350s had its first 5k mile maintenance and noticed how huge the screen was in the older ES. Not just the size, but the resolution looked much higher as well.

Returning to my IS, the screen then did look small from the huge molding to the left and right of it. I do still miss the touchscreen in my 2008 IS350.

2002 IS 300 L-Tuned (factory)
2008 IS 350 (sold)
2014 IS 350 F-Sport
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 04:49 PM
Follower

Quoted: 70 Post(s)

I would almost consider that thing a road hazard; half of it looks to be occluded by the vents and clock from a seated position, plus it's rather small and set back, meaning it will take you much longer to focus on what you're looking for. Could be just the photo, though.

I don't mind the black bars so much, as they're clearly there so the design can match the control panel underneath it. I'm upset they didn't use the full space and make the screen rectangular. I'm sure it would cost more to custom fabricate that dimension, but other companies are doing it too, and I'm sure there is something more filling on the market already.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 01:43 PM

Garage
The vertical viewing is skewed from the photo, the vents don't block it at all, but the horizontal angle is correct as the part of the console with the start button would block part of the screen to the left if it were the full size of the space there. This could been part of the decision to use the smaller screen.

2002 IS 300 L-Tuned (factory)
2008 IS 350 (sold)
2014 IS 350 F-Sport
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 09:21 PM

i havent taken the exact dimension between the gs and the is screens, but how hard would it be to transfer the gs monitor to the is?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 12:41 PM

Why wont Lexus make is the full wide screen??
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 05:17 AM

The screen is easy to read and view. Be more concerned about the quality and usability, my 2014 nav/ent unit constantly reboots and drops audio/handsfree despite multiple firmware updates from the dealership.

My wife and I stopped using the unit and just have our iphones mounted on the dash for GPS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 3rd-Gen IS250/IS350 > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page