Dr. Colorchip DIY/Review (PICS) - my.IS - Lexus IS Forum
Welcome to the newly redesigned my.IS website - Your source for IS200, IS250, IS300, IS350 and IS-F Information.

b

Register | Home | Forums | News | Photos | Content | FAQ | Advertise | Store

Go Back   my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > DIY/tutorial forum
Register Home Forum Photos Active Topics / Realtime Garage iTrader User's Guide Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

My.is is the premier Lexus IS Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2009, 07:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Addict

SupraMan1784 is an elite community memberSupraMan1784 is an elite community memberSupraMan1784 is an elite community memberSupraMan1784 is an elite community memberSupraMan1784 is an elite community memberSupraMan1784 is an elite community memberSupraMan1784 is an elite community memberSupraMan1784 is an elite community memberSupraMan1784 is an elite community memberSupraMan1784 is an elite community memberSupraMan1784 is an elite community member
Dr. Colorchip DIY/Review (PICS)

This is what most people have been waiting for. A review/ show and tell of the Dr. Colorchip System. I got the package Friday night and this is what it included:

^^ the paint according to the color of my car, the sealant, a small two sided brush, and the glove to spread the paint. also some directions and tips were included there as well.

^^ close-up of the paint and the sealant containers

^^ as you can see...this code matches my factory paint code for millennium silver metallic which is 1C0

^^close-up pic of what the brush looks like

Stock?
SupraMan1784 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2009, 07:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Addict

SupraMan1784 is an elite community memberSupraMan1784 is an elite community memberSupraMan1784 is an elite community memberSupraMan1784 is an elite community memberSupraMan1784 is an elite community memberSupraMan1784 is an elite community memberSupraMan1784 is an elite community memberSupraMan1784 is an elite community memberSupraMan1784 is an elite community memberSupraMan1784 is an elite community memberSupraMan1784 is an elite community member

^^the sexy car, had to pull it partly into the garage to get it out of the sunlight...which never showed haha. so the pic is dark and you cant really see the damage...but its there

^^just some of the places showing the damage that needed to be taken care of. most of it was on the front of the hood and the bumper. also had a scratch from a dealer and a few scratches in the rear that had to be taken care of. i only took pics of a few spots..they basically look the same...silver with a bunch of rock chips....love that Lexus Premium Paint right?

Stock?

Last edited by SupraMan1784; 03-07-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Addict

^^ look at the open bottle of paint...smells and looks just like the oem touch up paint from the dealer.

^^armed with the brush and the glove im pretty much ready to get to work.

^^my car looks like it has freckles haha. pretty much followed the directions. gave it a quick wash and dry in the morning and once the car was dry i started applying the colorchip paint. i didnt use the small side of the brush...mainly the broader end...dabbed the paint on the chip and smeared it with the glove. ***be sure to smear it flat while keeping the chip still painted. otherwise it will make the process a little more difficult later...which i will elaborate on when i get there. but as you can see i did a large area... which extended the amount of time i was working on the car. at this point it tells you the chips dry in 2 mins...but should be left on the car a max of 2 hours for better adhesion of the paint... at this point i just went back inside to grab a bite to eat and came out about an hour later

Stock?
Old 03-07-2009, 07:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Addict

once i came back out. i used the blender/sealant on a clean, old tshirt....again following the instructions which told me to moisten a small piece of the cloth so i can start buffing away. this part took me forever because i did such a large area ***this is also the reason why you should try and keep your smears flat... it takes some time for the blending agent to kick in...which when buffing removes the excess paint on the clear coat while leaving the paint on the chip. i rubbed it gently...too hard and the paint in the chip starts to come out and you basically have to start over again. i would say it took me about 2 hours and a little bit to buff all the excess paint away. here are the results:

Stock?
Old 03-07-2009, 07:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Addict

REVIEW:

here is my review on the Dr. Colorchip system. Honestly, when I first got it I thought it was going to fill in the chips and make it smooth like how it came from the factory. as i progressed i realized that wasnt the case, what it basically does is paint the chip like touch-up paint would do and blend it in with the rest of the hood so it looks like there was no damage. the process, in general, was pretty simple. no tricks or secrets to anything. just dab the paint smear it in and wait for it to dry. once it was dry buff the painted area with the blender/sealant and its good to go. for the smaller rock chips as you can see from my pics it does an excellent job of blending it in with the rest of the paint. the larger scratches, not so much. even some of the larger rock chips came out pretty nice...there's a good part and a bad part about it though. the good part is from about one or two steps away it looks perfect...the bad news is once you get up close and personal you can still see all the chips...except theyre painted, so i guess its not that bad. some of the basic tips i already spoke about...like not putting globs of paint everywhere...the reason..it makes it harder to buff because you gotta use more effort and time to get those off the car. also...the next time i do it i would probably do smaller areas at a time...since doing a larger area consumes a lot of time. all in all i was pretty happy with the results and i saved the glove and brush because i still have a bunch of paint and sealer left for another job. on a scale of 1-10 on how effective it was...i would probably give it an 8/8.5....my only problem with it was...i wish it would fill the chip in haha but i still yielded some real good results. if you have any questions just post them up and ill answer them when i get a chance. thanks guys.

Stock?
Old 03-07-2009, 07:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Addict

destron25 is an elite community memberdestron25 is an elite community memberdestron25 is an elite community memberdestron25 is an elite community memberdestron25 is an elite community memberdestron25 is an elite community memberdestron25 is an elite community memberdestron25 is an elite community memberdestron25 is an elite community memberdestron25 is an elite community memberdestron25 is an elite community member
Very nice write up! +rep when I can
Old 03-07-2009, 08:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Extremist

rvalero is an elite community memberrvalero is an elite community memberrvalero is an elite community memberrvalero is an elite community memberrvalero is an elite community memberrvalero is an elite community memberrvalero is an elite community memberrvalero is an elite community memberrvalero is an elite community memberrvalero is an elite community memberrvalero is an elite community member
Excellent DIY, thank you! Did you try getting the same spot twice to see if the chip fills more than the first time? Are the painted chips good to go, or would it be a good idea to cover them with a clear coat and then do step 2 again? Last question: which kit did you get...Sandard? +REP!

5Zigen || Apex-i || ARC Audio || B&M || BC Racing || Carson Tuned || Centerforce || CUSCO || DEI || EXPEL || Fidanza || FIGS || G2 || Greddy || JDMeyes || JIC || Karl Sport || L-Tuned || MONSTER || Optima || Outerwear || PIAA || Pioneer || PLP || SONY || SRT || Swift || TeCK Pro || Token Solutions ||TRD || Tuned Parts || UGO || WORK || VALOR || Valentine1 || VentureShield || Yokohama ||.
rvalero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 03-07-2009, 10:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Photographer

altezzagita is an elite community memberaltezzagita is an elite community memberaltezzagita is an elite community memberaltezzagita is an elite community memberaltezzagita is an elite community memberaltezzagita is an elite community memberaltezzagita is an elite community memberaltezzagita is an elite community memberaltezzagita is an elite community memberaltezzagita is an elite community memberaltezzagita is an elite community member
excellent write up
Old 03-07-2009, 10:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Jedi Knight

my.IS Supporter 2005 ToyDrive Participant 2006 ToyDrive Participant
Tigger is an elite community memberTigger is an elite community memberTigger is an elite community memberTigger is an elite community memberTigger is an elite community memberTigger is an elite community memberTigger is an elite community memberTigger is an elite community memberTigger is an elite community memberTigger is an elite community memberTigger is an elite community member
Interesting. +rep
Old 03-08-2009, 09:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvalero View Post
Excellent DIY, thank you! Did you try getting the same spot twice to see if the chip fills more than the first time? Are the painted chips good to go, or would it be a good idea to cover them with a clear coat and then do step 2 again? Last question: which kit did you get...Sandard? +REP!
hmm i didnt try the same spot twice...good idea i might go out again to see if that would work on a few spots. well according to what i read, after doing the colorchip youre supposed to apply wax. the reason i did it this weekend is because im getting the car detailed next week so ill have to wait till then to get it officially sealed. yea i got the basic kit, it was more than enough. you can be liberal with the paint but like i stated...it gets to be kind of a bitch when you keep buffing away to get that excess paint off.

Stock?
Old 03-08-2009, 11:09 AM   #11 (permalink)
Frequenter

agoodall is an elite community memberagoodall is an elite community memberagoodall is an elite community memberagoodall is an elite community memberagoodall is an elite community memberagoodall is an elite community memberagoodall is an elite community memberagoodall is an elite community memberagoodall is an elite community memberagoodall is an elite community memberagoodall is an elite community member
well done sir.... +rep

best mods are cheap mods

sotsyndicate.com where being Super Off Topic is being on topic
agoodall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 03-09-2009, 05:38 PM   #12 (permalink)

redfarsi is an elite community memberredfarsi is an elite community memberredfarsi is an elite community memberredfarsi is an elite community memberredfarsi is an elite community memberredfarsi is an elite community memberredfarsi is an elite community memberredfarsi is an elite community memberredfarsi is an elite community memberredfarsi is an elite community memberredfarsi is an elite community member
Awesome detail!! I have a few small chips just like you so I will probably place an order as well. You mentioned that it only paints the chip, not fills it. Do you think that if you applied multiple coats it would fill it/even it out?
redfarsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 03-09-2009, 06:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Extremist

rvalero is an elite community memberrvalero is an elite community memberrvalero is an elite community memberrvalero is an elite community memberrvalero is an elite community memberrvalero is an elite community memberrvalero is an elite community memberrvalero is an elite community memberrvalero is an elite community memberrvalero is an elite community memberrvalero is an elite community member
This should answer most people's questions: Dr. ColorChip paint chip repair tips and FAQ's about our kits.

I put in an order too.

5Zigen || Apex-i || ARC Audio || B&M || BC Racing || Carson Tuned || Centerforce || CUSCO || DEI || EXPEL || Fidanza || FIGS || G2 || Greddy || JDMeyes || JIC || Karl Sport || L-Tuned || MONSTER || Optima || Outerwear || PIAA || Pioneer || PLP || SONY || SRT || Swift || TeCK Pro || Token Solutions ||TRD || Tuned Parts || UGO || WORK || VALOR || Valentine1 || VentureShield || Yokohama ||.
rvalero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 03-09-2009, 07:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
Patriot

AznStrike is an elite community memberAznStrike is an elite community memberAznStrike is an elite community memberAznStrike is an elite community memberAznStrike is an elite community memberAznStrike is an elite community memberAznStrike is an elite community memberAznStrike is an elite community memberAznStrike is an elite community memberAznStrike is an elite community memberAznStrike is an elite community member
Hmmm... Interesting.

From the pictures, it looks like it did a great job. Thanks for sharing your review and DIY, it'll come in handy! +Rep
AznStrike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 03-10-2009, 06:59 AM   #15 (permalink)
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfarsi View Post
Awesome detail!! I have a few small chips just like you so I will probably place an order as well. You mentioned that it only paints the chip, not fills it. Do you think that if you applied multiple coats it would fill it/even it out?
im gonna find out sometime this week...when it stops raining

Stock?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > DIY/tutorial forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the my.IS - Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)