DIY Key reprogramming - my.IS - Lexus IS Forum
Welcome to the newly redesigned my.IS website - Your source for IS200, IS250, IS300, IS350 and IS-F Information.

b

Register | Home | Forums | News | Photos | Content | FAQ | Advertise | Store

Go Back   my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > DIY/tutorial forum
Register Home Forum Photos Active Topics / Realtime Garage iTrader User's Guide Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

My.is is the premier Lexus IS Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2007, 11:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lurker

410IS300 is an elite community member410IS300 is an elite community member410IS300 is an elite community member410IS300 is an elite community member410IS300 is an elite community member410IS300 is an elite community member410IS300 is an elite community member410IS300 is an elite community member410IS300 is an elite community member410IS300 is an elite community member410IS300 is an elite community member
DIY Key reprogramming

Don't waste your money going to the lexus dealers when you can do it yourself at home in about 5 minutes. Hope this helps others as much as it helped me.

Key Programming (Starter Chip)
1. Insert an already programmed master key into the ignition. Do not turn.
2. Press and release the gas pedal 5 times.
3. Press and release the brake pedal 6 times.
4. Remove the key from the ignition.
5. Insert the new key you want to program into the ignition.
6. Press and release the gas pedal one time.
7. Wait 1 minute. The security light will be blinking for this one minute. When it stops blinking your key is programmed (Be patient, it'll happen). To end programming step on brake one time.

NOTE: Look for your security light. This light will guide you during the programming procedure. The security light will go off at Step 1. It will remain off until Step 6. The security light will come on and start to blink after Step 6 until the key is programmed. If the security light comes on after Step 4 STOP the procedure and start over again.

If you perform this procedure too slowly your car will not go into programming mode. If you can not get your car to go into programming mode make sure you are using a master key and not a valet key. If you have a master key then you will probably need to perform this procedure more quickly.

Remote Programming

1. Close and lock all doors. Unlock and open drivers door.
2. Put key into ignition and remove. Do not turn it on.
3. Using the electric lock switch. Lock and unlock 5 times. (Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock)
4. Close and open drivers door.
5. Using the electric lock switch. Lock and unlock 5 times. (Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock)
6. Put key into ignition. Turn to "ON" , turn off and remove.
7. You will see the door locks cycle by themselves.

If the door locks do not cycle (lock and unlock) by themselves then the car isnít in programming mode and you must start over.

8. On the remote, press and hold the LOCK and the UNLOCK button at the same time for no more than 2 seconds.
9. On the remote, press the LOCK button for no more than 1 second.

AT THIS POINT, the locks should cycle by themselves ONE time. This means the procedure was accepted.

IF the locks cycle twice it has failed.

The most common reason for programming failure is because the car didnít receive a good signal from the remote. To fix this problem try these tips. 1) Stand outside of the car while you are performing steps 8 and 9. 2) Donít hold the remote buttons down as long.

As long as the car is still in programming mode you can keep trying steps 8 and 9 until you complete the programming. If you wait too long and the car exits the programming mode then you must start over.

After you get the remote to program then continue on with step 10.

10. Close and open door to end programming procedure.
410IS300 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2007, 11:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Extremist

2006 ToyDrive Participant
ALtEZZA_mANiAC is an elite community memberALtEZZA_mANiAC is an elite community memberALtEZZA_mANiAC is an elite community memberALtEZZA_mANiAC is an elite community memberALtEZZA_mANiAC is an elite community memberALtEZZA_mANiAC is an elite community memberALtEZZA_mANiAC is an elite community memberALtEZZA_mANiAC is an elite community memberALtEZZA_mANiAC is an elite community memberALtEZZA_mANiAC is an elite community memberALtEZZA_mANiAC is an elite community member
+rep should be helpful for other ppl.
Midnight Modify | I'M AN ISfanatic
ALtEZZA_mANiAC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 07-08-2007, 12:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Patriot

XaLtezZaX is an elite community memberXaLtezZaX is an elite community memberXaLtezZaX is an elite community memberXaLtezZaX is an elite community memberXaLtezZaX is an elite community memberXaLtezZaX is an elite community memberXaLtezZaX is an elite community memberXaLtezZaX is an elite community memberXaLtezZaX is an elite community memberXaLtezZaX is an elite community memberXaLtezZaX is an elite community member
quick question, i have a master key but its the non remote type. Lexus said i wont be able to program it unless i have a master remote key. So will it still work if i buy a remote key and try to program it?
Old 07-08-2007, 04:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lurker

410IS300 is an elite community member410IS300 is an elite community member410IS300 is an elite community member410IS300 is an elite community member410IS300 is an elite community member410IS300 is an elite community member410IS300 is an elite community member410IS300 is an elite community member410IS300 is an elite community member410IS300 is an elite community member410IS300 is an elite community member
Quote:
Originally Posted by XaLtezZaX View Post
quick question, i have a master key but its the non remote type. Lexus said i wont be able to program it unless i have a master remote key. So will it still work if i buy a remote key and try to program it?

sounds like you have a valet key. the lexus dealer is right, you will not be able to reprogram another key using the valet key. sad to say, your only 2 options are ordering a master and having it reprogrammed by lexus...or reflashing your ECM by a private company that does so. here are some answers to some questions that you might have...

-What is reflashing? The ECM is a big circuit board. There is one particular computer chip that holds the information for the keys. Companies will attach their computer to that computer chip and "reflash" it which basically means they are just rewriting the information contained on that chip.

- How does reflashing work? Only when the ECM is brand new will it accept keys without the need of a master key. When you reflash the ECM, the ECM thinks it is brand new so it will then accept new keys.

Here's how to tell the difference between the master and the valet key:

In order to program in keys for your car you will need to have an existing master key. Follow the steps below to determine if you have a master key.

1) Find the security light on your car. Depending on which year and model you have, you may be looking for a red flashing LED light or it may be a picture of a car with a key. Look at your dash board, instrument panel, over on the left hand side of your steering wheel or by the radio.

2) Your security light will always be on when there is no key in the ignition. Watch the security light as you insert your key. You want to see how fast the security light goes out. Your answer will be either 1) immediately or 2) it stayed on for a second or two and then went out.

3) If your answer is 1) immediately then you have a master key. If you answer is 2) it stayed on for a second or two and then went out you have a valet key.

4) If you have a master key then you can program in more keys yourself.

5) If you have a valet key then you can not program in keys for your car.

Last edited by 410IS300; 07-08-2007 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Loyalist

PROLIFIK1 is an elite community memberPROLIFIK1 is an elite community memberPROLIFIK1 is an elite community memberPROLIFIK1 is an elite community memberPROLIFIK1 is an elite community memberPROLIFIK1 is an elite community memberPROLIFIK1 is an elite community memberPROLIFIK1 is an elite community memberPROLIFIK1 is an elite community memberPROLIFIK1 is an elite community memberPROLIFIK1 is an elite community member
Just wanted to clarify some will have some sort of generic master key looking spare, even with this you can program your IS.

I bought my IS used back in November of 06 but mine didn't come with any actual Lexus Key or an official Lexus Valet, but it did have a generic transponder key which acted like an actual master key but without the buttons. It can open the glove compartment and trunk too.

I know a lot of folks will buy their IS used, especially some at auctions that may end up with a key like mine, and yes just to clarify, you can program extra set of keys that you can buy used from Ebay.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lurker

thanks for clearing that up. i would just use the above steps to clarify which key you are actually running. hope that helps
Old 07-08-2007, 11:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Enthusiast

Monty317 is an elite community memberMonty317 is an elite community memberMonty317 is an elite community memberMonty317 is an elite community memberMonty317 is an elite community memberMonty317 is an elite community memberMonty317 is an elite community memberMonty317 is an elite community memberMonty317 is an elite community memberMonty317 is an elite community memberMonty317 is an elite community member
I have a quick question about all this.. i had a 2001 IS that was totaled and just recently picked up a 2002.. when i got the new car it only came with one master key and a valet.. is it possible for me to use one of the master keys i have from the old car on the new car with this whole programming thing??
Old 07-09-2007, 12:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Enthusiast

albee320 is an elite community memberalbee320 is an elite community memberalbee320 is an elite community memberalbee320 is an elite community memberalbee320 is an elite community memberalbee320 is an elite community memberalbee320 is an elite community memberalbee320 is an elite community memberalbee320 is an elite community memberalbee320 is an elite community memberalbee320 is an elite community member
^^yes
Old 07-09-2007, 01:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Extremist

Seven0Three is an elite community memberSeven0Three is an elite community memberSeven0Three is an elite community memberSeven0Three is an elite community memberSeven0Three is an elite community memberSeven0Three is an elite community memberSeven0Three is an elite community memberSeven0Three is an elite community memberSeven0Three is an elite community memberSeven0Three is an elite community memberSeven0Three is an elite community member
great post man, thank you for taking the time to write all this up and share the info man! +rep to you!
[NLC--MA #004][Find me @ ISFanatics][Walk Hard]
Vouch List: Hiroshima, redline814, mixtapeguru, asukadc, SexusinmyLexus, Sparky, IntensaBlu, TDLI, Velocity02, BLK_IS350, Phil, IS_Monster, 02LexIS300, Chado, LexIS307, ToyotaPete, jakes_is, ayoitsstevo, 03_IS, 04_IS, acumenhokie, FutureISdriver, and everyone else I missed.
can't forget about enjoico
Seven0Three is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 07-09-2007, 02:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Loyalist

PROLIFIK1 is an elite community memberPROLIFIK1 is an elite community memberPROLIFIK1 is an elite community memberPROLIFIK1 is an elite community memberPROLIFIK1 is an elite community memberPROLIFIK1 is an elite community memberPROLIFIK1 is an elite community memberPROLIFIK1 is an elite community memberPROLIFIK1 is an elite community memberPROLIFIK1 is an elite community memberPROLIFIK1 is an elite community member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01iS3oo View Post
I have a quick question about all this.. i had a 2001 IS that was totaled and just recently picked up a 2002.. when i got the new car it only came with one master key and a valet.. is it possible for me to use one of the master keys i have from the old car on the new car with this whole programming thing??
Yes you can, you just need to purchase a new housing that has an uncut key blank on it (It is cheap on Ebay). Just get it cut at your local Locksmith and follow the programming instructions for the remote as posted by 410IS300.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Aficionado

Roel is an elite community memberRoel is an elite community memberRoel is an elite community memberRoel is an elite community memberRoel is an elite community memberRoel is an elite community memberRoel is an elite community memberRoel is an elite community memberRoel is an elite community memberRoel is an elite community memberRoel is an elite community member
Awesome thread.

+rep
Roel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 07-17-2007, 11:46 AM   #12 (permalink)

orijinal is an unknown at this point
great thread and easy to understand! just tried it and got it in the first try! thank you! +rep!
orijinal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 07-18-2007, 12:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Follower

SilverF16 is an elite community memberSilverF16 is an elite community memberSilverF16 is an elite community memberSilverF16 is an elite community memberSilverF16 is an elite community memberSilverF16 is an elite community memberSilverF16 is an elite community memberSilverF16 is an elite community memberSilverF16 is an elite community memberSilverF16 is an elite community memberSilverF16 is an elite community member
410IS300,

How did you learn of this procedure? I like to unlock these type of codes for other thing such as our CBEST settings. Specifically, I'm trying to get the AC to not turn on when the fan is set to Auto position.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
Lurker

frankie123 frankie123 frankie123 frankie123 frankie123 frankie123 frankie123 frankie123 frankie123 frankie123 frankie123
just wonderin... where can i get a key that fit in the iginition wit out orderin from lexus? i have the master key but i want a spare one... where can i find one?

+REP! STICKY MATERIAL!
Old 07-18-2007, 08:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
Extremist

Seven0Three is an elite community memberSeven0Three is an elite community memberSeven0Three is an elite community memberSeven0Three is an elite community memberSeven0Three is an elite community memberSeven0Three is an elite community memberSeven0Three is an elite community memberSeven0Three is an elite community memberSeven0Three is an elite community memberSeven0Three is an elite community memberSeven0Three is an elite community member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverF16 View Post
410IS300,

How did you learn of this procedure? I like to unlock these type of codes for other thing such as our CBEST settings. Specifically, I'm trying to get the AC to not turn on when the fan is set to Auto position.
i would love to know this too, i don't want my A/C to automatically come on w/the windsheild vents
[NLC--MA #004][Find me @ ISFanatics][Walk Hard]
Vouch List: Hiroshima, redline814, mixtapeguru, asukadc, SexusinmyLexus, Sparky, IntensaBlu, TDLI, Velocity02, BLK_IS350, Phil, IS_Monster, 02LexIS300, Chado, LexIS307, ToyotaPete, jakes_is, ayoitsstevo, 03_IS, 04_IS, acumenhokie, FutureISdriver, and everyone else I missed.
can't forget about enjoico
Seven0Three is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > DIY/tutorial forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the my.IS - Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)