Originally Posted by XaLtezZaX
quick question, i have a master key but its the non remote type. Lexus said i wont be able to program it unless i have a master remote key. So will it still work if i buy a remote key and try to program it?
sounds like you have a valet key. the lexus dealer is right, you will not be able to reprogram another key using the valet key. sad to say, your only 2 options are ordering a master and having it reprogrammed by lexus...or reflashing your ECM by a private company that does so. here are some answers to some questions that you might have...
-What is reflashing? The ECM is a big circuit board. There is one particular computer chip that holds the information for the keys. Companies will attach their computer to that computer chip and "reflash" it which basically means they are just rewriting the information contained on that chip.
- How does reflashing work? Only when the ECM is brand new will it accept keys without the need of a master key. When you reflash the ECM, the ECM thinks it is brand new so it will then accept new keys.
Here's how to tell the difference between the master and the valet key:
In order to program in keys for your car you will need to have an existing master key. Follow the steps below to determine if you have a master key.
1) Find the security light on your car. Depending on which year and model you have, you may be looking for a red flashing LED light or it may be a picture of a car with a key. Look at your dash board, instrument panel, over on the left hand side of your steering wheel or by the radio.
2) Your security light will always be on when there is no key in the ignition. Watch the security light as you insert your key. You want to see how fast the security light goes out. Your answer will be either 1) immediately or 2) it stayed on for a second or two and then went out.
3) If your answer is 1) immediately then you have a master key. If you answer is 2) it stayed on for a second or two and then went out you have a valet key.
4) If you have a master key then you can program in more keys yourself.
5) If you have a valet key then you can not program in keys for your car.