Lexus IS Forum banner

DIY Key reprogramming

137K views 244 replies 110 participants last post by  DeadPresident76 
#1 ·
Don't waste your money going to the lexus dealers when you can do it yourself at home in about 5 minutes. Hope this helps others as much as it helped me.

Key Programming (Starter Chip)
1. Insert an already programmed master key into the ignition. Do not turn.
2. Press and release the gas pedal 5 times.
3. Press and release the brake pedal 6 times.
4. Remove the key from the ignition.
5. Insert the new key you want to program into the ignition.
6. Press and release the gas pedal one time.
7. Wait 1 minute. The security light will be blinking for this one minute. When it stops blinking your key is programmed (Be patient, it'll happen). To end programming step on brake one time.

NOTE: Look for your security light. This light will guide you during the programming procedure. The security light will go off at Step 1. It will remain off until Step 6. The security light will come on and start to blink after Step 6 until the key is programmed. If the security light comes on after Step 4 STOP the procedure and start over again.

If you perform this procedure too slowly your car will not go into programming mode. If you can not get your car to go into programming mode make sure you are using a master key and not a valet key. If you have a master key then you will probably need to perform this procedure more quickly.

Remote Programming

1. Close and lock all doors. Unlock and open drivers door.
2. Put key into ignition and remove. Do not turn it on.
3. Using the electric lock switch. Lock and unlock 5 times. (Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock)
4. Close and open drivers door.
5. Using the electric lock switch. Lock and unlock 5 times. (Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock)
6. Put key into ignition. Turn to "ON" , turn off and remove.
7. You will see the door locks cycle by themselves.

If the door locks do not cycle (lock and unlock) by themselves then the car isn’t in programming mode and you must start over.

8. On the remote, press and hold the LOCK and the UNLOCK button at the same time for no more than 2 seconds.
9. On the remote, press the LOCK button for no more than 1 second.

AT THIS POINT, the locks should cycle by themselves ONE time. This means the procedure was accepted.

IF the locks cycle twice it has failed.

The most common reason for programming failure is because the car didn’t receive a good signal from the remote. To fix this problem try these tips. 1) Stand outside of the car while you are performing steps 8 and 9. 2) Don’t hold the remote buttons down as long.

As long as the car is still in programming mode you can keep trying steps 8 and 9 until you complete the programming. If you wait too long and the car exits the programming mode then you must start over.

After you get the remote to program then continue on with step 10.

10. Close and open door to end programming procedure.

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
sounds like you have a valet key. the lexus dealer is right, you will not be able to reprogram another key using the valet key. sad to say, your only 2 options are ordering a master and having it reprogrammed by lexus...or reflashing your ECM by a private company that does so. here are some answers to some questions that you might have...

-What is reflashing? The ECM is a big circuit board. There is one particular computer chip that holds the information for the keys. Companies will attach their computer to that computer chip and "reflash" it which basically means they are just rewriting the information contained on that chip.

- How does reflashing work? Only when the ECM is brand new will it accept keys without the need of a master key. When you reflash the ECM, the ECM thinks it is brand new so it will then accept new keys.

Here's how to tell the difference between the master and the valet key:

In order to program in keys for your car you will need to have an existing master key. Follow the steps below to determine if you have a master key.

1) Find the security light on your car. Depending on which year and model you have, you may be looking for a red flashing LED light or it may be a picture of a car with a key. Look at your dash board, instrument panel, over on the left hand side of your steering wheel or by the radio.

2) Your security light will always be on when there is no key in the ignition. Watch the security light as you insert your key. You want to see how fast the security light goes out. Your answer will be either 1) immediately or 2) it stayed on for a second or two and then went out.

3) If your answer is 1) immediately then you have a master key. If you answer is 2) it stayed on for a second or two and then went out you have a valet key.

4) If you have a master key then you can program in more keys yourself.

5) If you have a valet key then you can not program in keys for your car.

#5 ·
Just wanted to clarify some will have some sort of generic master key looking spare, even with this you can program your IS.

I bought my IS used back in November of 06 but mine didn't come with any actual Lexus Key or an official Lexus Valet, but it did have a generic transponder key which acted like an actual master key but without the buttons. It can open the glove compartment and trunk too.

I know a lot of folks will buy their IS used, especially some at auctions that may end up with a key like mine, and yes just to clarify, you can program extra set of keys that you can buy used from Ebay.

#7 ·
I have a quick question about all this.. i had a 2001 IS that was totaled and just recently picked up a 2002.. when i got the new car it only came with one master key and a valet.. is it possible for me to use one of the master keys i have from the old car on the new car with this whole programming thing??

#10 ·
Yes you can, you just need to purchase a new housing that has an uncut key blank on it (It is cheap on Ebay). Just get it cut at your local Locksmith and follow the programming instructions for the remote as posted by 410IS300.

#9 ·
great post man, thank you for taking the time to write all this up and share the info man! +rep to you!

#13 ·
410IS300,

How did you learn of this procedure? I like to unlock these type of codes for other thing such as our CBEST settings. Specifically, I'm trying to get the AC to not turn on when the fan is set to Auto position.

#15 ·
i would love to know this too, i don't want my A/C to automatically come on w/the windsheild vents

#16 ·
ebay...? get a blank and then get it cut to your ignition? not sure, i haven't needed to buy any extra keys.

#20 · (Edited)
can i go to any locksmith and have them cut it for me or does it have to be "laser cut" or something specially???

and also i have a "wallet key" which works to unlock the trunk and glove box, i was wondering can i use this to reprogram a new key because apparently it is a master key but it is not a remote key?

#23 ·
It doesn't have to be laser cut. When I had 2 master keys made at the local locksmith, he used an older machine. Pretty much using the original as a template as he traced it out while cutting it manually.

I never programmed it using a the emergency spare, but I'm assuming you may have some luck. Just follow the directions for programming. Don't give up if you can't program it upon the first 3 tries. Just have some patience and follow them closely.

#21 ·
the ac actually helps defrost your windows but yeah its annoying. just thought id make sure everyone knew that. hey somebody should write something like this for a prank thing. someone would look rediculous out doing this if it was all a big joke.

#22 ·
id like to know how to make it so i have to hit the trac to turn it on instead of having to turn it off everytime i get in the car. anyone have that?

#93 ·
Check with BlacksportD. his Company, TokenSolutions has a module that will make this change for you,... basically you need an "always off" switch vs an Always on switch... & one that DOESNT recycle with the key in the ignition like the oem one does....

IF you turn trac off and then later shut the car down the system automatically turns it back on when you start the car again...

i have had one of his modules for almost 2 yearas and it is awesome ... i HATE our Trac Control software unless i am jamming thru a canyon & it is wet & even THEN it kinda just sux...

#24 ·
wow, awesome. +rep x 50 times if I could

now the question is... can this work with any remote? I wanted to buy a flip out key(pocket knife style), but it will cost like 50 dollars to program the flip out key. The total is 90 dollars for the programming and the shaving of the key. It will mean a lot if someone knows.

#30 ·
Hmmmm. Intresting.

My car only came with one master key. No valet, no nothing. I'll more than likely come back to this. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.