DIY INFO: Black Headlight mod..... this one with PICS! - my.IS - Lexus IS Forum
Welcome to the newly redesigned my.IS website - Your source for IS200, IS250, IS300, IS350 and IS-F Information.

b

Register | Home | Forums | News | Photos | Content | FAQ | Advertise | Store

Go Back   my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > DIY/tutorial forum
Register Home Forum Photos Active Topics / Realtime Garage iTrader User's Guide Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

My.is is the premier Lexus IS Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2006, 11:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Aficionado

CWis300 is an elite community memberCWis300 is an elite community memberCWis300 is an elite community memberCWis300 is an elite community memberCWis300 is an elite community memberCWis300 is an elite community memberCWis300 is an elite community memberCWis300 is an elite community memberCWis300 is an elite community memberCWis300 is an elite community memberCWis300 is an elite community member
DIY INFO: Black Headlight mod..... this one with PICS!

Who would have thought my first mod on my very own IS that I just got a few days ago would have been a DIY? I originally brought you guy's a full picture DIY on your cluster LLS's DIY Cluster Backlight Conversion . Now I am going to do the same on the headlight mod.

You can find most of this info on this site in various places, but I felt we needed a diy thread here with pics and bumper removal details all in one thread.

Remove the front bumper by removing the 10mm screws along the bottom underneath connected to the lower splash pan, the 4 push pins along the grill, the one screw in the center of the grill, and the two screws each in the fender well on each side. disconnect the side markers and fogs.

Unplug the headlight connections from the car.

Remove the 10mm screw that holds the top bracket on.

Remove the two 10mm screws that hold the headlight on the rear (inside the fender well).

Once you have the assembly removed, remove all the bulbs. Be sure not to touch the high beam, or HID low beam! Unscrew the two bottom phillips screws from the headlight also that secure the lens to the housing.

Get a cookie pan big enough to fit the headlight on and bake the headlight for 7 minutes @ 250 degrees.

Once you remove the headlight from the oven, use a small flatblade to slide around the headlight seam - breaking the glues bond. Then carefully and gently pry apart the headlight.

Last edited by CWis300; 08-09-2010 at 11:18 PM.
CWis300 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2006, 11:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Aficionado

CWis300 is an elite community memberCWis300 is an elite community memberCWis300 is an elite community memberCWis300 is an elite community memberCWis300 is an elite community memberCWis300 is an elite community memberCWis300 is an elite community memberCWis300 is an elite community memberCWis300 is an elite community memberCWis300 is an elite community memberCWis300 is an elite community member
You do not HAVE to do this next step, but it makes a WORLD of difference in how the headlight looks when done. I used special purple 3M masking tape that had a low adhesion quality to mask off a certain area of the chrome ring to give the headlight some classy trim inside the black. Remember to remove the turn signal reflector!

You can use anything you wish paint wise, but I prefer a black satin as opposed to a high gloss paint.

After you have shot a few coats, remove the tape and re-insert the reflector.

Here's what your headlights will look like inside when you have finished the above steps.

To remove the old glue, pop the headlight back in the oven for about 3 minutes and warm it up, then scrape the glue as quickly as possible.

When you are done, use a clear silicone to line the headlight and put it back together.

Old 03-12-2006, 11:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Aficionado

Now, just do the other side and stick it all back together Enjoy your new black headlights

Old 03-12-2006, 11:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Enthusiast

flapperdink is an elite community memberflapperdink is an elite community memberflapperdink is an elite community memberflapperdink is an elite community memberflapperdink is an elite community memberflapperdink is an elite community memberflapperdink is an elite community memberflapperdink is an elite community memberflapperdink is an elite community memberflapperdink is an elite community memberflapperdink is an elite community member
hotness +rep
Old 03-12-2006, 11:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Patriot

01MsMIS is an elite community member01MsMIS is an elite community member01MsMIS is an elite community member01MsMIS is an elite community member01MsMIS is an elite community member01MsMIS is an elite community member01MsMIS is an elite community member01MsMIS is an elite community member01MsMIS is an elite community member01MsMIS is an elite community member01MsMIS is an elite community member
looks good man! haha remind me of my first time! lol. GL bro, but u should paint the chrome housong where the turnsignal are at. Kinda hard to remove them and put it back, but just take ur time

here's a pic of my first time doing the chrome ring

haha oh yea... if u still have some paint left. Do ur fog and paint ur grill! hehe if u paint ur 01 grill to black and leave the chrome line outside will look much better then the silver one right now.

Last edited by 01MsMIS; 03-12-2006 at 11:57 PM.
01MsMIS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 03-12-2006, 11:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01MsMIS
looks good man! haha remind me of my first time! lol. GL bro, but u should paint the chrome housong where the turnsignal are at. Kinda hard to remove them and put it back, but just take ur time

here's a pic of my first time doing the chrome ring
Looks great. In my situation my goal was not to black out the headlight, only to eliminate the exposed chrome. I think the chrome makes the car look cheap (thanks to all the APC copy cats), so rather than a black out where I'd have used VHT Night Shades to do the turn signal lens also, I really just wanted it to be a nice clean headlight with all the exposed chrome gone.

When you black something out you can tell it has been modified by looking at it with no prior knowledge. My goal for this car is to look at it and think it came from the factory, but still have the appeal of the black look.

I like to keep the mods clean. My SC has a clean overall look.

Old 03-13-2006, 12:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
Dr. JDM

my.IS Supporter 2006 ToyDrive Participant
chado is an elite community memberchado is an elite community memberchado is an elite community memberchado is an elite community memberchado is an elite community memberchado is an elite community memberchado is an elite community memberchado is an elite community memberchado is an elite community memberchado is an elite community memberchado is an elite community member
nice pics! good write up, too
Old 03-13-2006, 12:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
Patriot

01MsMIS is an elite community member01MsMIS is an elite community member01MsMIS is an elite community member01MsMIS is an elite community member01MsMIS is an elite community member01MsMIS is an elite community member01MsMIS is an elite community member01MsMIS is an elite community member01MsMIS is an elite community member01MsMIS is an elite community member01MsMIS is an elite community member
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznIS
Looks great. In my situation my goal was not to black out the headlight, only to eliminate the exposed chrome. I think the chrome makes the car look cheap (thanks to all the APC copy cats), so rather than a black out where I'd have used VHT Night Shades to do the turn signal lens also, I really just wanted it to be a nice clean headlight with all the exposed chrome gone.

When you black something out you can tell it has been modified by looking at it with no prior knowledge. My goal for this car is to look at it and think it came from the factory, but still have the appeal of the black look.

I like to keep the mods clean. My SC has a clean overall look.

haha yea, keep it classey! have some +rep buddy
01MsMIS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 03-13-2006, 05:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
Under House Arrest

Gandy IS 350 is an upstanding community memberGandy IS 350 is an upstanding community memberGandy IS 350 is an upstanding community memberGandy IS 350 is an upstanding community memberGandy IS 350 is an upstanding community memberGandy IS 350 is an upstanding community memberGandy IS 350 is an upstanding community memberGandy IS 350 is an upstanding community memberGandy IS 350 is an upstanding community memberGandy IS 350 is an upstanding community memberGandy IS 350 is an upstanding community member
good stuff bro. I'd do the same to my old headlights but decided to buy JDM black headlights instead.
Gandy IS 350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 03-13-2006, 08:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
Guru

Squareback is an elite community memberSquareback is an elite community memberSquareback is an elite community memberSquareback is an elite community memberSquareback is an elite community memberSquareback is an elite community memberSquareback is an elite community memberSquareback is an elite community memberSquareback is an elite community memberSquareback is an elite community memberSquareback is an elite community member
Nice DIY, thanks for contributing. Looks really good.

Rep to you!
Old 03-13-2006, 04:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
Aficionado

Thanks, you are all very welcome.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Guru

lextasy623 is an elite community memberlextasy623 is an elite community memberlextasy623 is an elite community memberlextasy623 is an elite community memberlextasy623 is an elite community memberlextasy623 is an elite community memberlextasy623 is an elite community memberlextasy623 is an elite community memberlextasy623 is an elite community memberlextasy623 is an elite community memberlextasy623 is an elite community member
Nice man, now paint your fogs to match
Old 03-13-2006, 06:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
dot com

IS300STeeZ is an elite community memberIS300STeeZ is an elite community memberIS300STeeZ is an elite community memberIS300STeeZ is an elite community memberIS300STeeZ is an elite community memberIS300STeeZ is an elite community memberIS300STeeZ is an elite community memberIS300STeeZ is an elite community memberIS300STeeZ is an elite community memberIS300STeeZ is an elite community memberIS300STeeZ is an elite community member
That's f**kin sweet.

-Modified Mag Full Feature March 2008 Issue

2000 AP1 Silverstone Metallic Honda S2000 w/ Red Leather
IS300STeeZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 03-13-2006, 10:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Follower

mreik is an elite community membermreik is an elite community membermreik is an elite community membermreik is an elite community membermreik is an elite community membermreik is an elite community membermreik is an elite community membermreik is an elite community membermreik is an elite community membermreik is an elite community membermreik is an elite community member
already did this buy good write up! have a green box
mreik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 03-13-2006, 10:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
Deity

Poker Tournament Player
the wrong tone is an elite community memberthe wrong tone is an elite community memberthe wrong tone is an elite community memberthe wrong tone is an elite community memberthe wrong tone is an elite community memberthe wrong tone is an elite community memberthe wrong tone is an elite community memberthe wrong tone is an elite community memberthe wrong tone is an elite community memberthe wrong tone is an elite community memberthe wrong tone is an elite community member
Nice writeup. Have some rep.

I would also have suggested smoking the turn signal lense a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > DIY/tutorial forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the my.IS - Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)