DIY: Dirt cheap soundproofing for your IS - my.IS - Lexus IS Forum
Welcome to the newly redesigned my.IS website - Your source for IS200, IS250, IS300, IS350 and IS-F Information.

b

Register | Home | Forums | News | Photos | Content | FAQ | Advertise | Store

Go Back   my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > DIY/tutorial forum
Register Home Forum Photos Active Topics / Realtime Garage iTrader User's Guide Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

My.is is the premier Lexus IS Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2009, 09:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Follower

BabySilverLex is an elite community memberBabySilverLex is an elite community memberBabySilverLex is an elite community memberBabySilverLex is an elite community memberBabySilverLex is an elite community memberBabySilverLex is an elite community memberBabySilverLex is an elite community memberBabySilverLex is an elite community memberBabySilverLex is an elite community memberBabySilverLex is an elite community memberBabySilverLex is an elite community member
DIY: Dirt cheap soundproofing for your IS

So my friend and I headed over to the junkyard to look for some parts for his Legend. While we were there, I picked up some of the lint stuff that auto manufacturers use to sound proof cars from the factory. I got two garbage bags full (about six cars worth of ripping the lint off the rear deck and behind the rear seats) for $12. I could have gotten even more but I did not fully stuff the bag full and we found a virtually unmolested black on black Legend so we stopped looking for lint.

Note: This was done on a 2002 5spd. However, virtually everything should be the same for all year IS300s. This would even work on a current gen IS should anyone be willing to try it.

I started with the rear deck, rear seats, and c-pillars. I did not expect much improvement from these areas but i am installing a sub and this should help the vibrations. To install I just cut a piece off and use some double sided tape to hold it on.

Stock C-Pillar:

Double Layered C-Pillar:

Stock rear deck covering:

Double Layered rear deck covering:

I experienced NO FITMENT ISSUES!!!!! :crazy:

Everything went back together nicely, except the rear deck was kind of tough to get back on.

I also decided to insulate the shifter, hoping it *might* reduce transmission whine.

P.S. Anyone know what Short-Shifter that is?

I took the car for a test drive and the exhaust note seemed quieter from in the cabin. Also, the exhaust whistle (ever turn your car on without the rear seats in?) seemed quieter. The shifting was also slightly quieter, but not the whine itself. Rocking the shifter left and right produced virtually no noise, unlike before.

What I am trying to get at here is that you do not need to spend $300+ just to sound deaden a car. Auto manufacturers use this lint stuff from the factory to quiet cars. If Dynamat was so good, how come Lexus and Mercedes doesn't use it? This is an incredibly cheap alternative to expensive deadener. I have spend $12 so far and have covered my rear deck, rear seat backs, shifter, and C-Pillars, with enough left over to do my doors as well.

I plan on stuffing the doors (I expect this to make a huge difference), putting some on the lower back and under the rear seats, A-Pillars, B-Pillars, behind the center consul, possibly in the headliner, and possibly under the carpet. Im going back to the junkyard tomorrow to pick up some more. I will keep you updated.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2009, 09:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fiend

Jman0711 is an elite community memberJman0711 is an elite community memberJman0711 is an elite community memberJman0711 is an elite community memberJman0711 is an elite community memberJman0711 is an elite community memberJman0711 is an elite community memberJman0711 is an elite community memberJman0711 is an elite community memberJman0711 is an elite community memberJman0711 is an elite community member
Im sure it works, but theres no way you can really compare this stuff to fatmat or any other real sound deadener IMO...but props to you for doin it all.
Jman0711 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 04-11-2009, 09:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Follower

BabySilverLex is an elite community memberBabySilverLex is an elite community memberBabySilverLex is an elite community memberBabySilverLex is an elite community memberBabySilverLex is an elite community memberBabySilverLex is an elite community memberBabySilverLex is an elite community memberBabySilverLex is an elite community memberBabySilverLex is an elite community memberBabySilverLex is an elite community memberBabySilverLex is an elite community member
Oh yeah by the way both garbage bags weighed about 10 pounds altogether, as opposed to the 50+ pounds of Dynamat equivalent.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Extremist

Avernier is an elite community memberAvernier is an elite community memberAvernier is an elite community memberAvernier is an elite community memberAvernier is an elite community memberAvernier is an elite community memberAvernier is an elite community memberAvernier is an elite community memberAvernier is an elite community memberAvernier is an elite community memberAvernier is an elite community member
that stuff is light whereas deadener is heavy, and highend automobiles do a pretty good job of blocking out road noise through structural rigidity, and aerodynamics. if that stuff did what you wanted, excellent, but i don't think its going to help with your sub. +rep for sharing your find though..
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Tom- View Post
Hes poor and from AL or MS or some other tragic Katrina victim state. what do you expect.
RIVALHOUSEGARAGEDOTCOM
Avernier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 04-11-2009, 09:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Patriot

chrisridebike8 is an elite community memberchrisridebike8 is an elite community memberchrisridebike8 is an elite community memberchrisridebike8 is an elite community memberchrisridebike8 is an elite community memberchrisridebike8 is an elite community memberchrisridebike8 is an elite community memberchrisridebike8 is an elite community memberchrisridebike8 is an elite community memberchrisridebike8 is an elite community memberchrisridebike8 is an elite community member
good stuff. thats a Ralco or B&M short shifter. I have it except i cut off all the threads

2010 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG, 420 rwhp
2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8 392, 6 speed (wife's car)

VFA-11 The Red Rippers
chrisridebike8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 04-11-2009, 09:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Altruist

skubasteevo is an elite community memberskubasteevo is an elite community memberskubasteevo is an elite community memberskubasteevo is an elite community memberskubasteevo is an elite community memberskubasteevo is an elite community memberskubasteevo is an elite community memberskubasteevo is an elite community memberskubasteevo is an elite community memberskubasteevo is an elite community memberskubasteevo is an elite community member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabySilverLex View Post
Oh yeah by the way both garbage bags weighed about 10 pounds altogether, as opposed to the 50+ pounds of Dynamat equivalent.
The extra weight is exactly why Dynamat (or one of the superior alternatives) is used as a deadener. You didn't deaden your car, you added more sound insulation. Two very different things.

But still, I'd pay $12 for less road noise.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
\/ Awesome \/

my.IS Supporter Roundtable Panelist
ItalynStylion is an elite community memberItalynStylion is an elite community memberItalynStylion is an elite community memberItalynStylion is an elite community memberItalynStylion is an elite community memberItalynStylion is an elite community memberItalynStylion is an elite community memberItalynStylion is an elite community memberItalynStylion is an elite community memberItalynStylion is an elite community memberItalynStylion is an elite community member
Deadening and noise barriers are two totally different things. Mat style deadener like Dynamat, Damplifier, or Fatmat are used to keep surfaces from resonating. Something like Luxury Liner (second skin audio product) is used to quiet down the car.

A noise barrier product is a combination of a thick dense material decoupled/suspended by a foam of some type.

Link to what I'm talking about Luxury Liner - Acoustic Noise Barrier and Insulation Barrier
ItalynStylion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 04-17-2009, 06:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Don Nguyen is an elite community memberDon Nguyen is an elite community memberDon Nguyen is an elite community memberDon Nguyen is an elite community memberDon Nguyen is an elite community memberDon Nguyen is an elite community memberDon Nguyen is an elite community memberDon Nguyen is an elite community memberDon Nguyen is an elite community memberDon Nguyen is an elite community memberDon Nguyen is an elite community member
WTF, this is actually ingenious! I never thought about that before. I've removed this stuff from some of my older cars, and always just threw it away.

Never thought about taking pieces of it and stuff/sticking it on my other cars to sound proof it further!

-Don
Don Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > DIY/tutorial forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the my.IS - Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)