LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-25-2015, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)

Garage
DIY: Complete Timing Belt+Water Pump+ Seals

I replaced the timing belt along with other goodies. Here are some pics and steps in case someone needs a guide to follow, that is up to date. I didn't include draining coolant from radiator/block, removing alternator, radiator, throttle body, valve covers.

*Make sure you bolt everything down to factory specs, or else o rings etc could end up being installed incorrectly. Please be careful, and always be attentive of your next step and the position of your pulleys. Follow FSM, can be found on this site. Do at your own risk and take pics to help you remember position of pulleys, miscellaneous bolts/brackets you must remove to get stuff out of your way.

-Yellow/1st notch at 0, dots on timing cover marks (not lines) make sure everything is lined up

-Used pulley holder to take off crank bolt. It took a couple of big tugs to break it loose but it wasn't as hard as I expected w/ 3ft bars for leverage. (Used the 6ft, 2 piece pipe from my jack)
*Use a 6 point 22mm socket. I broke a 12 point on my first attempt and it stripped the crank bolt a bit. I ended up getting a free crank bolt that was in perfect condition lol

-Pulled crank pulley
-Remove water pump pulley. I held it with one hand&shop rag and unbolted it with the other
-Remove water bypass/outlet

3 o-rings, you pull that out of there with some force

-Remove 2 nuts on water inlet (behind headers, refer to next pic top left)
-Remove thermostat housing

-Remove PS bracket

-Remove drive belt tensioner (Position of vvti gear matches the position after install)

-Remove timing covers
-Remove timing belt tensioner
-Remove timing belt guide and belt

-Pulled crank timing gear with M6X1.0 metric screws, bought at home depot. The ones that came with my puller didn't fit. (Make sure you remove the 10mm, gold timing gear plate before pulling the gear. You will end up bending the plate or breaking a tooth on the gear. The dot on the block should be exactly to the right of the first tooth before removal, refer to tensioner bearing picture)

-Removed water pump, do this first to keep your new crank seal clean from coolant
-Replace crank seal (has to be shiny clean before install)

-Remove cam gear by holding cam with adj wrench
-vvti cam gear has 14mm hex bit cap with a seal and a 10mm inside. Before removal you want to make sure vvti is set right according to the manual. I followed the FSM.
*Make sure they stay on the dots before removal.
-Remove OCV, OCV filter (2 washers)

-Remove rear timing cover (metal one)
-Removed cam bearing caps and seals. Exhaust side has (2) 10mm, intake has (2) 10mm and 2 allen bolts in the back, under the harness. Use flat head and tabs to get them loose from silicone.

-Install cam seals, make sure they're seated all the way back
-Put FIPG on the caps
-Torque them down

-FIPG on the outsides, back of the caps according to FSM (red lines)

-Install water pump
-Install thermostat (line up jiggle valve with indentation)
-Install water bypass (put a bit of coolant on the o rings before installing)
-Install rear timing cover
-Install cam gears (vvti gear has a washer seal inside the hex cap)
-Install OCV, and filter/washers
-Install tensioner bearing (loctite)
-Install crank timing gear
I realized there was a tooth missing, so it came back off and I got another one for $35+a free crank bolt

-Install 10mm golden timing gear plate
-Slip the belt on
-Install tensioner and remove grenade pin
-Check that all timing marks are good to go (if you kept the tension on the belt while installing it, it should clear out with no problem, tensioner will not affect the position of any gear doing it this way)
-Screw crank bolt in and rotate engine twice and check that timing marks clear out
-Install timing belt guide
-Install timing cover
-Install crank pulley
-Check timing marks again with crank pulley/timing cover installed
-Install crank bolt (loctite)
-Drive belt tensioner (loctite)
-Reinstall everything else back

I cleaned the valve covers, and rear timing cover with some free purple power from auto zone

New valve cover gaskets

The old belt was in very good shape with 167XXX on the clock.

Its so smooth now, I will keep a close eye on it for a couple of days looking for leaks.
IS3_FTW, jasonm4, lazyIS and 2 others like this.

Mike
'02 AR IS300; M98 L-Tuned
TOKICO HP/TANABE NF210

ENKEI KOJIN 18X8.5+35/9.5+30
---------------------------------
DIY: Nav+Aftermarket HU
DIY: Timing Belt

My Thread

Last edited by mm71522; 04-25-2016 at 09:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 07:04 AM
Follower

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

thank you for the DIY.
what tool did you use to remove the crank seal?

i know there are over the counter hooks/tools - just curious want you used and how well it worked.

always seems like those hook ones have a possibly of marring something.
mm71522 likes this.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Addict

Garage
I made a small hole on the seal with a flathead and then pulled it with the seal puller (red screwdriver looking thing in the 2nd pic). It came off real clean without damaging the inside .

I was afraid of scratching the inside trying to get the seal puller inside the edge, so I made a small cut to get the hook in there. When putting a new seal back in, make sure the spring inside the seal doesnt come off. I ended up cutting the bottom side of a plastic cup that had the same diameter as the seal to pound it in there evenly. Lol worked real well actually

Mike
TOKICO HP/TANABE NF210

My Thread

Last edited by mm71522; 01-27-2015 at 08:19 AM.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 06:23 AM
Enthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

Wow what a great write up! I'll be doing this exactly next weekend.

For the cam and crank seals, did you ever apply FIPG to any part of the seals itself (outer diameter)? I heard some people apply a very light coating go ensure a good seal.
mm71522 likes this.

01 IS300 - MSM - 185k mile high club

Currently in: snow mode

BRZ Differential w/ 4.1 -- K&N FIPK Intake -- CXRacing Coilovers -- IS350 Wheels -- Greddy Lip [RIP :(]

Hotchkis Sways -- Megan Racing Y-Pipe -- Spec-d Catback (for now)

"Gotta work on the nut behind the wheel before you start fixing bolts on the car"
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Addict

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by therock0720 View Post
Wow what a great write up! I'll be doing this exactly next weekend.

For the cam and crank seals, did you ever apply FIPG to any part of the seals itself (outer diameter)? I heard some people apply a very light coating go ensure a good seal.
Good luck! If you have any questions lmk

Nah no FIPG on the cam or crank seals. Make sure the spring on the inside of the seals doesn't come out when installing them. For whatever reason, the spring seems to want to come out. Tap them evenly with a big socket or whatever for the cam seals. For the crank seal I cut the bottom of a plastic cup that had the same diameter and it worked perfectly. It would've been a nightmare without it.

Mike
TOKICO HP/TANABE NF210

My Thread
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 10:33 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm71522 View Post
Good luck! If you have any questions lmk

Nah no FIPG on the cam or crank seals. Make sure the spring on the inside of the seals doesn't come out when installing them. For whatever reason, the spring seems to want to come out. Tap them evenly with a big socket or whatever for the cam seals. For the crank seal I cut the bottom of a plastic cup that had the same diameter and it worked perfectly. It would've been a nightmare without it.
Okay cool, thanks! You used OEM/Toyota seals I'm guessing? I ordered some Felpro but changed my mind about it.

Amongst the tools I've rented from Autozone/Advance, this cam/crank seal one seems to be the best - http://www.autozone.com/test-scan-an...it/544799_0_0/

Last edited by therock0720; 04-30-2015 at 10:43 AM.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Addict

Garage
Quote:
Okay cool, thanks! You used OEM/Toyota seals I'm guessing? I ordered some Felpro but changed my mind about it.

Amongst the tools I've rented from Autozone/Advance, this cam/crank seal one seems to be the best - http://www.autozone.com/test-scan-an...it/544799_0_0/
Yeah, all OEM. I had timken seals, but also changed my mind lol I didn't want to come back and redo it bc I cheaped out.

Nice! Looks like you'll be better prepared than I was Does that help remove the seal as well or does it only help install?

Mike
TOKICO HP/TANABE NF210

My Thread
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 10:42 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Yeah, all OEM. I had timken seals, but also changed my mind lol I didn't want to come back and redo it bc I cheaped out.

Nice! Looks like you'll be better prepared than I was Does that help remove the seal as well or does it only help install?
Haha those were my same exact thoughts.

And yeah, it has attachments to help remove and install the new seals. The removal consists of using the two claws the reach behind the seal and pull it out with the puller. To install the new seal you just pair up the right size fittings onto your bolt and crank the seal in and it's all done evenly. You could opt to use the cheaper claw tool to remove and then use a PVC pipe and hammer to get it back on. But I figured I would rather use this cool tool instead .

I'm also replacing the VVTi seals - did you do this too? They tend to leak after 150k .

BRZ Differential w/ 4.1 -- K&N FIPK Intake -- CXRacing Coilovers -- IS350 Wheels -- Greddy Lip [RIP :(]

"Gotta work on the nut behind the wheel before you start fixing bolts on the car"
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Addict

Garage
Quote:
Haha those were my same exact thoughts.

And yeah, it has attachments to help remove and install the new seals. The removal consists of using the two claws the reach behind the seal and pull it out with the puller. To install the new seal you just pair up the right size fittings onto your bolt and crank the seal in and it's all done evenly. You could opt to use the cheaper claw tool to remove and then use a PVC pipe and hammer to get it back on. But I figured I would rather use this cool tool instead .

I'm also replacing the VVTi seals - did you do this too? They tend to leak after 150k .
Yeah, I'm sure that's the safest/easiest way. I will have to try that next time lol

You mean the o-ring inside the vvti gear?

Mike
TOKICO HP/TANABE NF210

My Thread
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 10:55 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Yeah, I'm sure that's the safest/easiest way. I will have to try that next time lol

You mean the o-ring inside the vvti gear?
Yeah the o-ring in the gear itself and then isn't there a seal (washer) on one of the hex head bolts that go into the gear? I bought the seal kit off of driftmotion.com and it included both seals .

post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Addict

Garage
Quote:
Yeah the o-ring in the gear itself and then isn't there a seal (washer) on one of the hex head bolts that go into the gear? I bought the seal kit off of driftmotion.com and it included both seals .
Yeah those 2 are the ones you need. I didn't want to mess with the o ring inside the gear, so I just spent $160 on a new gear from a lexus dealer on ebay, and also bought the washer seal from my local dealer.

I think the biggest problem I ran into was finding the screws to pull the timing gear. The screws that came with my puller didn't fit

Mike
TOKICO HP/TANABE NF210

My Thread
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 11:05 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Yeah those 2 are the ones you need. I didn't want to mess with the o ring inside the gear, so I just spent $160 on a new gear from a lexus dealer on ebay, and also bought the washer seal from my local dealer.

I think the biggest problem I ran into was finding the screws to pull the timing gear. The screws that came with my puller didn't fit
Oh yeah good point! What was the specs on the bolts that you ended up using? I should check my Dorman puller.

post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Addict

Garage
Quote:
Oh yeah good point! What was the specs on the bolts that you ended up using? I should check my Dorman puller.
If I remember correctly, they were M6X1.0 metric screws. I found them at home depot. It was a big set back bc I had to drop everything to go out and find them.
therock0720 likes this.

Mike
TOKICO HP/TANABE NF210

My Thread
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 11:16 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
If I remember correctly, they were M6X1.0 metric screws. I found them at home depot. It was a big set back bc I had to drop everything to go out and find them.
Alright cool thanks! Are they the same for the crank sprocket as well? I'm assuming so.

post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Addict

Garage
Quote:
Alright cool thanks! Are they the same for the crank sprocket as well? I'm assuming so.
Yeah the sprocket/timing gear is the one I'm referring to.

Here you can see me pulling it with the M6X1.0 metric screws.

The harmonic balancer came off with the screws provided with the puller.

Mike
TOKICO HP/TANABE NF210

My Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > DIY/tutorial forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page