Lexus IS Forum banner

DIY : Auto Trans Valve Body Upgrade (rods)

57K views 76 replies 31 participants last post by  Bezik777 
#1 · (Edited)
DIY Instructions to install auto trans valve body upgrade rods (shift kit)
The VB upgrade is great for NA or Boost ..This upgrade will firm up (some say increase of harshness) of the shifts in your auto trans .. 2nd to 3rd gear - 3rd to 4th - and 4th to 5th gear.

Here's a Thread on "Valvebody shift improvement mod....rod confusion & AT explanation "

http://my.is/forums/f122/valvebody-shift-improvement-mod-rod-confusion-explanation-391695/
http://my.is/forums/f114/valvebody-upgrade-differences-other-tranny-upgrades-358110/index5.html
http://my.is/forums/f221/tutorial-auto-transmission-cooler-install-lots-pic-330863/

Do at your own risk ............................................................

Attention to DETAIL on everything you do during this install and take your time!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOTE : with this MOD install a aftermarket trans cooler....

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Saw this paper before. I did not even think 2x. I had Toyomoto peeps do it to be on the safe side.

Did not know that ur auto. After intalling this in my car i felt a big push mostly from 2-3rd and 3-4 then 5th becomes less. I dont have LSD so the car dances once in awhile. Now I'm putting in Supra LSD.

#3 ·
Yup i got auto w/LSD and don't mind it one bit.....install was very easy just very attention to detail and you'll be fine...note my trans was pulled and not underneath car so makes things alot easier....

#4 ·
Based on the link at the top of the first post I have a question:

Are the type of rods you used & have the instructions posted up the thin or thick type rods?

I ask because I bought the toyomoto style rod set which are the thinner ones but the seller didn't include any instructions... though the "Example" picture of instructions on his listing looks identical to part of the instructions you posted....just wanted to be positive before I attempt using the instructons you posted.

thanks in advance

#10 ·
Awesome!

#13 ·
Damn, this chit is much easier when you have step by step like that. I remember when i did mine...oh boy, thank god I had an air ratchet. LOL

Nicely done sir!

And now that I read this...i totally remembered I still have my shift kit installed on the stock transmission laying on the floor in the garage. LOL

#25 ·
Is there a link for the sprag upgrade look for the 400-450HP mark on my GTE non-vvti single turbo

#27 ·
Thanks you Bezik my next question would be, if these rods are compatible with my tranny... i have a aristo swap as you may know the come 4speed!

#30 ·
Rep!!thanks for all the help BEzik. I look forward to using this for my install!

#33 ·
Hi guys, just a few questions for those who has fitted one of these kits themselves:

For a mechanically minded person is it an easy enough job to do?
How long would it take for someone that hasnt had a trans apart except for changing a filter and oil?
Does it affect when the trans decides to change up and down at all, or just make the shift more positive?

#34 ·
It's pretty easy just follow directions and take your time. As far as changing shifts it does not. But keep in mind what this mod does , the pressure builds up and the springs in the VB give you the smoothed out shifts and by adding the rods the trans doesn't allow for the preasure not to long gate/ smooth out shift ( kinda like manual) with this happening the shifts will be harder and faster which is key with power . Which equals less stress and better use of power under load . Also note better 1/8 and 1/4 mile time with this mod.

#35 ·
I did it myself and had never messed with an auto trans before this project.

Bezik nailed the description but I'll add that its only noticeable at WOT. ANYTHING LESS THAN 60% Throttle it feels unchanged almost. Also many report being able to chirp tires for the 2-3 & even 3-4 shifts...if you have good/grippy tires its likely to be less noticeable...on grippy 245s I barely chirp 2-3 at WOT.

As far as time frame I'd plan a full day or most of a weekend from very start to testdrive/finish. I made a thread about the springs/accumulators should anything fall out unexpectedly like it did on mine(did it still in the car working only with hand tools)