Lexus IS Forum banner

Vehemence build page

45K views 312 replies 46 participants last post by  blkdout 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello, My name is Andy and Ive been an IS member and owner since 2010. Vehemence is my Screen name and also what I've named my 2001 EJM IS300. For those who don't know, Vehemence stands for passion,violence,strength,vigor,anger,intensity,and keenness. Perfectly describes my car and the feeling I get when I drive it. (#VEHEMENCE is also a band i play drums in, google it if you want)
So over the last 6 years Ive had my share of mods and race stories but Ive never made a build page. Im pulling my motor and beefing up the block and head. Im flirting with the idea of nitrous but also considering going turbo. Time will tell no lies and we will all find out what direction I take on this build. As of now my mods are as follow:

Engine: BC 264 cams, cam gear, I/H/E, PHR Pulleys, ground wire kit,
Mishumoto aluminum radiator, trans cooler, CF radiator difusser

Suspension: Koni yellows, Tien S-tech, SRT rigid bars, TRD yellow sways
JIC magic strut bar, Exotic speed rear strut bar, Pro Lex
trunk sub frame bar

Exterior: Blacked out tail lights,trunk lights,side makers,and fogs. Black
housing head lights, black powder coated OEM rims sitting
on 225s. Black mesh grille

Now on to some pictures and on to my progressive build....

This was how I bought the car

This is how it sat for the first couple years..

The black out begins...

3-16-16 last time running before the motor pull...

All the crap you gotta take off for a motor pull..

Almost ready to take out..

More Progress to come, thanks for looking!

See less See more
#2 ·
Man, there are so many sensors,brackets, and lines to disconnect. Started to pull the motor out and still had some shit connected i.e.. fuel line, power steering line, a bolt or bracket by/on the starter. Hopefully thats all thats left to get this thing out. This is the first time pulling a motor ever so, I'm pleased I almost got it out in a day haha. Sucky thing is work and daily life is keeping the progress delayed. Hopefully I can get it out fully this weekend.

#5 ·
Alright got the motor out!! Didn't have to remove the bumper/crash bar either. Here are some more pictures.

Check this out. This is one reason I decided to pull the motor. Not sure if this is a head gasket or a corroded plug(what ever that allen plug is) Going to clean it up and investigate tomorrow. Anyone know where this leak is from?? Looks like its been there for a while lol.

More to come very soon...

#10 ·
This is my first time so I don't have anything to base it off of. However, once every thing was disconnected it wasn't bad at all.

Well if it has a hoist it's a shop I say! Almost inspires me to clean up my over cluttered excuse for a garage/shop. Did you contemplate using the lift and pull the car up off the engine and transmission? You going to do the valve body upgrade now that you have it out as well?
No cause then I would have had to pull all the suspension out. We did use the lift a tiny bit to help with clearance and wiggle room when pulling it. I have the eBay version valve body upgrade I will probably use.

#20 ·
Had some time to start taking some things off today. Valve covers, wire harness, fuel rail, lower intake manifold. heres pics...

Im planing on powder coating or painting the engine components black. Before I do, can I use a stock fuel rail on a turbo application? Don't want to paint parts if i won't be using them. I should have a lil more time this weekend to remove the cams and head. More to come....

#21 ·
OK got a lot done today, I took off: cams, head, power steering pump, water pump, pulleys, timing belt, A/C compressor, alternator, oil filter housing, on and on. So here are some progress pictures for your viewing pleasure.

Head removed. Im going BC all the way on this build. Going to order BC SS valves, Titanium springs, and retainers. Should be fun!

Top of the block looking at the pistons. Not sure how these are supposed to look but, the look bad to me lol.
going to get BC rods and some kind of forged piston (CP,Wiseco,ex.)

My current BC 264 cams and head studs

Pulleys by PHR. I had them anodized but didn't like how they turned out so much, so Im going to get them redone more to my liking. Also going to replace the Adj. cam gear with a BC cam gear i picked up from a member here.

Power steering pump and water pump. Both going to be replaced. At least the water pump.

A/C compressor

Block by the end of the afternoon.

Parts are being ordered and the head and block are pretty much ready for the machine shop. more progress very soon....

#24 ·
Allright!! goodies have arrived!! BC STD valves and BC ti retainers and springs. Time for the machine shop and then after they bore the block Ill be getting BC rods and Forged pistons. This is going to be FUN! I wonder if I get enough BC crap ill be able to complete the puzzle lol.

More progress to come very soon...

#29 ·
Well dropped the head and block off at the machine shop. These guys were nice. RNR Machine Shop, family owned. My stepdad has known them for 30+yrs. They did work on his dragsters back in the day. So in the mean time I decided to go ahead and start cleaning some engine parts for a DIY paint job. Im using gasoline and mineral spirits with wire brushes as my cleaning tools. Started on the valve covers, painted them primer today. They will get painted yellow tomorrow. Here are a couple pics of my products and progress...

More to come very soon...

#31 · (Edited)
Well after painting my valve covers and marinating on the idea of doing the rest of my engine parts, I decided to get it all powder coated.
Not because I wasn't pleased with the finish, but because I don't want to see all the prep and hard work get scuffed or scratched the second its installed. Im just gonna pay the extra cheese and get it done the right way. I figure a build like this only deserves top notch.

Edit: So because of plastic parts in the throttle body, powder coating won't work. They use a oven to cure the paint. So Im doing what I think is called cerakote instead. Should do the trick

#42 ·
I have 272's NIB. I'd like to offer a straight up trade for the 264's granted no damage or other things are wrong with them. If you're interested, shoot me a PM

FS Post Here

No reason to go racecar without a racecar.
Surely you mean to say: "Why build a racecar and not have it sound and feel like a racecar?"

#37 ·
I went with the Titan gear because 5 bolts... and black :lol:
"Only" 264 cams because better than stock and not too lumpy. Smooth idle even without an IAC.

No reason to go racecar without a racecar.

Anyway, looking great bro! Glad you decided on the tougher coatings. My local powdercoat guy advertises his cerakoat service for firearms. He does some slick custom work on them. You could probably save a penny if you got ceramic coat on the TB.

#39 ·
Update of the week: Still waiting on the machine shop, they are backed up. So in the mean time, there is a lot to be done. Powder coating will be happening sometime next week or sooner. On another note, after a lot of research and going back and forth I decided to get a ATI dampner pulley vs a Fluidampr pulley. This is all hearsay but my machine shop guy told me ATI all the way because fluidampr has been know to have the fluid harden up on lengthy drives I.E. 2hrs thus creating a unbalanced crank. He said thats why nascar won't use or approve them. I did like certain things about the fluidampr but, I don't want to take a chance. Both are priced about the same. Ill post pics when it arrives.

#40 ·
Nice! Good to know about the ATI. I regularly take 2-3 hour trips in mine (when it's running haha) so glad to know that piece of info, true or not. I don't like to chance anything either! :approve:

I realized I was wrong about my titan gear! Have to correct myself. It has 6 bolts...
went with the Titan gear because 5 bolts

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.