5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Frequenter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)

TVL3RD's 2004 Is300

Figured I'd make a quick thread. Ive been here for a few months and I just started really digging into this car. Forums are a great place to find info and ideas so naturally I sought out one out when I picked up my IS and found my way here. Im coming from subarus, here is what my 2013 WRX looked like.

It had a lot of upgrades and virtual dyno'd at 319/333 on the stock turbo. Ran 12.9 in the 1/4 the only time i went to the track.

I decided I wanted to move away from subaru as theyre not exactly know for their longevity when modded and I didnt want to be funding engine and transmission builds for a car that I still owed money on. My thought is to have 2 cars, a nice daily driver and a stupid loud uncomfortable thing that I can drive on the weekends. I picked up an 04 blue Eshift w/ 120k on the clock a few months back to be my daily.

For the most part the car is in good shape. It does have more rock chips on the hood than i even thought was possible. Like its worse than any car ive ever owned. I may try to paint it later myself just to see if I can do it.

First thing I did was get rid of the open diff that came with the car. A buddy of mine with a boosted brz had picked up and extra 4.1 lsd when he did his build. He wanted an extra one on hand just in case it couldnt handle the power. It did so he ended up selling me his spare for $250 and I really couldnt pass that up. Im going to copy/paste some of what I posted in the BRZ/FRS diff thread -

Get everything installed today. Tried to take some crappy pictures. Its all pretty straight forward. I also ended up using washers because my brz bolts never showed up.

First things first we got the car in the air. Went to a buddies house that I know from my subaru days who had a lift and air tools. Well worth the small amount of money and set of project mu wrx brake pads that I traded for the install help and lift time lol.

ended up loosening the sway bar mounts and letting it hang just to get some more room.

This is where things got fun. We actually couldn't get an allen to the bolts on the left there on a ratchet or on the gun so we decided to make our own tool for the job lol. Hammer one into a wrench that never gets used and once its the correct length weld that shit. Did the job and got the rear mount bolts undone.

pulled the axle out of the left side.

messed around for a bit trying to figure out how to get the axle stub out. Its in there pretty good.

Just needed some persuasion in the form of hitting the back of it with a hammer.

did the same thing to the other side and now have them both out and placed net to the brz diff.

down comes the IS300 diff

Pressed the axle stubs into the BRZ diff until the splines mesh. put a cheater bar in the middle of the stub and added some more hammer persuasion.

and the other side

Lets get this thing up in the car!

now here's how i dealt with the bolts not being threaded long enough. a stack of 4 5/8 hardened steel washers. .125 inches thick.

and she's in!

put the axles back into the stubs. It was easiest to kind of slide them in from the top of the stubs.

And a picture of me driving 60ish to show the rpms

all in all it was pretty straight forward. Filled it up with some Motul 75w90. Had good luck with this fluid on my old subaru. Car feels good. The gearing change isn't super noticeable but it does feel like it has some more pep coming off the line.

Thats it!
Poke_IS300 likes this.

2004 IS300 Eshift
BRZ 4.1 LSD - 18x8.5 Evo X Enkei's - Koni
- Tein - Stoptech - EBC - Tanabe
Thread: http://my.is/forums/f219/tvl3rds-2004-is300-565586/

Last edited by tvl3rd; 12-09-2015 at 08:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Frequenter

next I had to do the lights. Not gonna lie, I absolutely hate the look of the stock lights on the is300. Always have. Didn't really want to spend a ton of money on anything aftermarket and definitely didn't want to buy some of the sets i see on ebay. Just decided to vht nightshade them red and then put a couple coats of clear over top. If it fades ill just do it again. Easy and cheap enough fix.

Remove the lights with the 2 screws on the inside near the trunk. Seriously thats it, easiet tail light removal ever.

cleaned them with glass cleaner then wiped them down with alcohol. I did not sand anything.

Masked them off and hit them with a few coats of red VHT nightshade. Once dry I hit them with a few coats of clear coat I had sitting in the garage.

Everything was a little foggy and dewy this morning but heres what they look like. good'nuff

2004 IS300 Eshift

Last edited by tvl3rd; 12-09-2015 at 08:28 AM.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Frequenter

I also decided to pick up a set of winter wheels. I picked up this beat up set of sport edition ST3. They're 17x8 +44

They're super beat up. My buddy sold them to me for $75. They were his rallyx wheels on his sti, hence the shredded blizzaks on them in the picture. Winter tires are a good alternative to dirt tires if you cant find dirt tires in the size you need.

They got the autozone special rattle can paint job. I cleaned the hell out of them to try to get all the dirt off, hit them with an entire can of brake clean to try to get any residual oil/gunk off, then washed them again with soap and water. I also used some filler primer to try to fill in some of the gouges since they were so pitted from rocks bouncing around inside of them while sideways on gravel. Couple coats of whatever grey this was from autozone and then a couple coats of clear.

They actually didnt turn out so bad

We dont have bad winters here in Richmond so I really didnt want to spend a ton of money on winter tires. Went with some chinese winters that are sold under like 5 different brands. Winter Claw Extreme Grip in 225/45/17

My oem wheels are beat to shit and peeling pretty bad. my summer setup will be Genesis Coupe oem wheels that a buddy is giving me. They are 18x7.5 +33 in the front and 18x8 +33 in the rear. Obviously ditching the center caps for something else. probably painting or powder coating them.
TobiasSing likes this.

2004 IS300 Eshift

Last edited by tvl3rd; 12-09-2015 at 08:34 AM.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 03:15 PM
Frequenter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

nice im in fburg cool to see another somewhat local is hit up this link find few other va is300 peeps on here https://www.facebook.com/groups/2115...12628/?fref=nf

02 na-t. ijm is300 6766|aemv2| Auto
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Frequenter

got tired of the whole tape deck adapter thing and finally got a head unit installed in my car. I honestly hate wiring so much that i 100% always pay someone else to do it lol. Picked up a clarion cz305 and metra harness + install kit from crutchfield. Dropped it off at Audio Express in Richmond this morning and they were done by lunch time. They have awesome service so anyone local should check them out. I dont have the weird ground noise that comes through the speakers that other people complain about with the metra harness. Very happy with the quality of the head unit. All speakers are currently stock and I am happy with how it sounds so putting off any further speaker installations for now. This thing is turning into quite the nice daily driver. sorry for the shitty picture, but all in all its just another head unit install. I do recommend this one though, really good quality for the money. I missed bluetooth streaming so much.

2004 IS300 Eshift
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Garage
what is it like on the highway with that 4.1? Im also in virginia and as we all know, the highways here are like racetracks.

"The era of gentleman racing drivers is ended." - Enzo Ferrari
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 10:57 AM
Aficionado

Quoted: 130 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coleslay View Post
what is it like on the highway with that 4.1? Im also in virginia and as we all know, the highways here are like racetracks.

In my experience not a whole ton of difference. Feels slightly more responsive and is quicker accelerating at lower speeds. I don't think the RPM's are much higher if at all (I guess technically they have to be but I don't notice) and MPG might have dropped but also could just be my driving habits.

If you're contemplating the swap to this diff just do it. Nothing to be concerned or worry about. It's an inexpensive way to get a basically brand new LSD that offers a slightly taller ratio.
tvl3rd likes this.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Frequenter

pretty much what cleansweeper said. Not a real noticeable difference when cruising. Definitely peppier when you get on it. Well worth upgrading over the open diff. Its also nice to be able to pick up a used diff with less than 10,000 miles on it vs finding an old is300 diff.

2004 IS300 Eshift
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 08:57 PM
Aficionado

Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Garage
i love the 04/05 Indigo Ink Pearl. one of the best looking colors for the IS IMO. nice work with the diff, one of the biggest issues with my car is the stupid open diff lol. post up some pics with the winter wheels on im curious to see how they look!
tvl3rd likes this.

2002 MSM Sportcross
TEIN//Gita//Blitz//Pioneer//FIGS//Work

instagram - ellis300
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellis300 View Post
i love the 04/05 Indigo Ink Pearl. one of the best looking colors for the IS IMO. nice work with the diff, one of the biggest issues with my car is the stupid open diff lol. post up some pics with the winter wheels on im curious to see how they look!

winter wheels in full force. I think theyre old AMG knockoffs. Cant beat em for $75 for the set. supposed to get up to 20 inches of snow friday/saturday

2004 IS300 Eshift
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I sometimes dislike fixing the wirings too. haha! nice work you've done to your car.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ay-es View Post
I sometimes dislike fixing the wirings too. haha! nice work you've done to your car.
Thanks dude! its never going to be a crazy build like some people have but its a great car. Ill continue to do small tweaks.

2004 IS300 Eshift
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Frequenter

We got about a foot of snow yesterday. I took her out for a bit and on one last trip to the store for booze and food since I think we'll be stuck in the house the rest of the weekend. She did great with the LSD and snow tires. I took the ruck around the block too which was fun. We got about 5-6 more inches of snow after this picture and then it apparently started sleeting all night. Just went outside and everything is a solid patch of ice now. I dont think im taking the car out at all today. Richmond doesnt get much snow at all and rarely are the snow storms this large so the city doesnt have a lot of funding to deal with snow like this. The neighborhoods havent been plowed a single time. Its not even like I live out in the burbs, were right downtown.

2004 IS300 Eshift
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Frequenter

I mentioned in an earlier post that my hood was absolutely destroyed by rock chips. Had a sick day today from work and my Dr. Colorchip kit on hand. Mix that with a 65 degree day and I decided I needed a little project. Here is the before.

and the after

Has not been compounded or waxed. Waiting a day or 2 to do that to let it completely cure.

2004 IS300 Eshift
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 09:12 AM
Lurker

Quoted: 27 Post(s)

Its nice to see another is300 who isnt a doucher and actually wanna work on there cars in Richmond. We should def link up. I am in the process of building my car to break things. I collecting is300 panels all the time so if your looking for stuff I got you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Member Rides and Builds > Member Build Threads - Lexus IS only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page