Figured I'd make a quick thread. Ive been here for a few months and I just started really digging into this car. Forums are a great place to find info and ideas so naturally I sought out one out when I picked up my IS and found my way here. Im coming from subarus, here is what my 2013 WRX looked like.
It had a lot of upgrades and virtual dyno'd at 319/333 on the stock turbo. Ran 12.9 in the 1/4 the only time i went to the track.
I decided I wanted to move away from subaru as theyre not exactly know for their longevity when modded and I didnt want to be funding engine and transmission builds for a car that I still owed money on. My thought is to have 2 cars, a nice daily driver and a stupid loud uncomfortable thing that I can drive on the weekends. I picked up an 04 blue Eshift w/ 120k on the clock a few months back to be my daily.
For the most part the car is in good shape. It does have more rock chips on the hood than i even thought was possible. Like its worse than any car ive ever owned. I may try to paint it later myself just to see if I can do it.
First thing I did was get rid of the open diff that came with the car. A buddy of mine with a boosted brz had picked up and extra 4.1 lsd when he did his build. He wanted an extra one on hand just in case it couldnt handle the power. It did so he ended up selling me his spare for $250 and I really couldnt pass that up. Im going to copy/paste some of what I posted in the BRZ/FRS diff thread -
Get everything installed today. Tried to take some crappy pictures. Its all pretty straight forward. I also ended up using washers because my brz bolts never showed up.
First things first we got the car in the air. Went to a buddies house that I know from my subaru days who had a lift and air tools. Well worth the small amount of money and set of project mu wrx brake pads that I traded for the install help and lift time lol.
ended up loosening the sway bar mounts and letting it hang just to get some more room.
This is where things got fun. We actually couldn't get an allen to the bolts on the left there on a ratchet or on the gun so we decided to make our own tool for the job lol. Hammer one into a wrench that never gets used and once its the correct length weld that shit. Did the job and got the rear mount bolts undone.
pulled the axle out of the left side.
messed around for a bit trying to figure out how to get the axle stub out. Its in there pretty good.
Just needed some persuasion in the form of hitting the back of it with a hammer.
did the same thing to the other side and now have them both out and placed net to the brz diff.
down comes the IS300 diff
Pressed the axle stubs into the BRZ diff until the splines mesh. put a cheater bar in the middle of the stub and added some more hammer persuasion.
and the other side
Lets get this thing up in the car!
now here's how i dealt with the bolts not being threaded long enough. a stack of 4 5/8 hardened steel washers. .125 inches thick.
and she's in!
put the axles back into the stubs. It was easiest to kind of slide them in from the top of the stubs.
And a picture of me driving 60ish to show the rpms
all in all it was pretty straight forward. Filled it up with some Motul 75w90. Had good luck with this fluid on my old subaru. Car feels good. The gearing change isn't super noticeable but it does feel like it has some more pep coming off the line.