rvalero's IS300: 2006-present (Update: New motorized nav housing) - Page 3 - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 852 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 09:23 PM
Loyalist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

very nice, looks luxurious and clean
+rep

04 GGP 5 SPD w/ LSD
Stance|Swift|Figs|Hotchkis|Ichiba|5zigen|SRT|Dezod

04 MSM Totaled Parts Thread // IG-slide4satan

Negleceted FC3S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 852 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 11:53 PM
Follower

don't you miss your sport engine? although vs-xx is way sicker.

-----------
'03 MSM IS300 5spd(LSD)
| Altezza grille/visors | RMM | TRD
AEM | 5zigen Sport Engine | Illumina | Megan Toe | Tanabe Medallion Touring/NF210/sways/rear strut | JIC |
Custom CF Interior | Pioneer | Diamond Audio | Rockford | Kicker | Buddy Club Condenser | Viper 7900
post #33 of 852 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Guru

Quoted: 150 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stertan View Post
don't you miss your sport engine? although vs-xx is way sicker.
Haha, I see why you might say that. I still have them, so no, I don't miss them.

My thread of picture whor@ge: 2003 BO 5MT B01B

5Zigen || Apex-i || ARC Audio || B&M || BC Racing || Carson Tuned || Centerforce || CUSCO || DEI || EXPEL || Fidanza || FIGS || G2 || Greddy || JDMeyes || JIC || Karl Sport || L-Tuned || MONSTER || Optima || Outerwear || PIAA || Pioneer || PLP || SONY || SRT || Swift || TeCK Pro || Token Solutions ||TRD || Tuned Parts || UGO || WORK || VALOR || Valentine1 || VentureShield || Yokohama ||.

post #34 of 852 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 07:12 AM
Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

nice pics man....love the progress and the results of the car. also that mini version that matches your exact ride...haha

2005 MSM Lexus IS300

Stock?
post #35 of 852 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Guru

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraMan1784 View Post
nice pics man....love the progress and the results of the car. also that mini version that matches your exact ride...haha
Thanks. And thanks again for being the dr.colorchip guinea pig. I've already helped out 2 friends who have cars with the same paint code.

5Zigen || Apex-i || ARC Audio || B&M || BC Racing || Carson Tuned || Centerforce || CUSCO || DEI || EXPEL || Fidanza || FIGS || G2 || Greddy || JDMeyes || JIC || Karl Sport || L-Tuned || MONSTER || Optima || Outerwear || PIAA || Pioneer || PLP || SONY || SRT || Swift || TeCK Pro || Token Solutions ||TRD || Tuned Parts || UGO || WORK || VALOR || Valentine1 || VentureShield || Yokohama ||.
post #36 of 852 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 09:14 PM
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvalero View Post
Haha, I see why you might say that. I still have them, so no, I don't miss them.
yeah coz I remember, we are the ones who rocked the sport engine before but I guess I'm alone now. anyway Vs-xx Ftw. I always wanted those especially on aggressive offset. good work!

-----------
'03 MSM IS300 5spd(LSD)
| Altezza grille/visors | RMM | TRD
AEM | 5zigen Sport Engine | Illumina | Megan Toe | Tanabe Medallion Touring/NF210/sways/rear strut | JIC |
Custom CF Interior | Pioneer | Diamond Audio | Rockford | Kicker | Buddy Club Condenser | Viper 7900
post #37 of 852 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Guru

Garage
Today, I F'd up the clear coat on my wheels' lips while I was washing them. I never clean my wheels with any cleaner other than soap and water. Today, my tires were looking kinda nasty so I decided to use a tire cleaner on them. My wheels and tires were cold, car was in the shade, and I had just finished the pre-rinse before washing my car. In addition, I got up really close to minimize overspray onto the wheel. I should be good right? Wrong!

I was pretty pissed with myself at this point. I tried some quick detailer--nope. I tried some never dull polish--nope. After searching the forum, I found out that I must have damaged the clear coat, and that most people just refinish their wheels or live with it.

Since the clear coat is damaged, I wondered if polishing it with a paint polish and my PC7424 would work. At this point, my wheels looked F'd anyway, so why not try. I took out the DA buffer, popped on a white polish pad, prepped, and tried some Menzerna Final Polish II. After some experimenting, I seemed to have pretty decent results at about 3.75K RPM and light pressure. It's definitely not perfect, and I'm definitely still pissed, but I guess I can live with it for now. Some spots and streaks just didn't want to come out, and trying to force the issue with a more abrasive polish, more pressure, or faster RPMs just made things worse. It is, however, at a point where I can live with it...for now.

Anyway, here's an after shot of the same wheel.

post #38 of 852 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 12:41 AM
Guru

Woww..... Dude that sucks! Note to self: DON'T USE WHEEL/TIRE CLEANER! lol

At least you managed to get some of the scratches and spots out! BTW, is that a rock chip in the black paint on your wheel? (between the 2nd and 3rd rivets from the right).

'04 Infiniti G35 6mt Coupe
'02 Lexus IS300 - SOLD
post #39 of 852 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 12:42 AM
Extremist

WoW, that RC car look nice!!
Your actual car look good too!

2002 IBP QUALITAT IS300 18 - BBS LM / 19 - TE37 (She will be miss!)

JDM Concept

1992 Mazda Miata *Stock with Hardtop* SOLD!
1993 Mazda Miata *Modded & Stripped*
post #40 of 852 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Guru

Garage
Usually, I'll apply the tire cleaner and scrub the tire pretty much immediately. Since my tires needed some extra work, I decided to let the cleaner sit for a minute. In that time, it must have dried and damaged the clear. I guess I'll just clean the tires with a brush, soap, and water from now on.

Travis: That is just a piece of my polishing pad.

post #41 of 852 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 12:29 PM
Extremist

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

I commented in your other thread, but man. I can't believe how careful you have to be with certain wheels!

With my XD9's I sprayed all kinds of crap on them and never once had a problem. I haven't used ANYTHING on my wheels now except soap and water. Not even a tire shine yet.
post #42 of 852 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Guru

Garage
I hear you on that one. My 5zigen's finish held up WAY better than my Work wheels. I used to get the same tire cleaner on my last set of wheels while washing all the time, and nothing ever happened.

post #43 of 852 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 10:54 PM
SEAHAWKS!!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)

Bummer for the wheels and front bumper. But glad everything is somewhat better.

Personal note, next time if you ever use Tire Shine. Always spray it on a sponge, then wipe onto tire. Something like Eagle1 has, but not crazy expensive! Never spray onto tire directly. Live and learn
I dont use tire shine, cuz I hate it when the splatter(while driving) gets all over my car. No mudflaps = Fail on tire shine. Plus my car is yellow, and black stands out like a black eye on a white chick

Everything is coming along nicely. A touch of class in your modding.

+rep when I recharge...spunt it all earlier today

Phil
2001 IS300
Engine 2jz-ge w/SRT intake; HP header; Toyomoto ypipe
ICE/Interior Kenwood Excelon w/Nav; Fsport shift knob
Exterior JDM headlights; foglights; taillights; SportDesign grille; RX shorty antenna
Suspension Tanabe coilovers; SuperPro bushings; FIGs toe links
Wheels Volk Racing wheels; Staggered 17x8/9; Conti DWS
post #44 of 852 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Guru

Garage
Thanks. It wasn't the tire shine that caused the spotting; it was a tire cleaner that was too strong for the wheels' finish. Since I let the cleaner sit longer than I normally do, it had enough time to eat away at the clear coat. I've never had a problem with tire dressing...which I apply with one of these

I went at it again this afternoon and removed as much of the spotting as I could. I eventually had to give up on some of the really stubborn areas since I wasn't comfortable taking off any more of the clear coat that I already had. Under normal sunlight, they are very faint, and you won't notice them unless you are doing a close inspection. They are enough of an issue to irritate an OCD person like myslef, but not enough to warrant refinishing them.

Thanks again for the comments.

post #45 of 852 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 11:14 PM
SEAHAWKS!!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)

Oh yeah, there is a small print on the back...reads warning, dont let sit for more than 15 seconds.

haha, tire dressing and wheel cleaner are 2 different things

Phil
2001 IS300
Engine 2jz-ge w/SRT intake; HP header; Toyomoto ypipe
ICE/Interior Kenwood Excelon w/Nav; Fsport shift knob
Exterior JDM headlights; foglights; taillights; SportDesign grille; RX shorty antenna
Suspension Tanabe coilovers; SuperPro bushings; FIGs toe links
Wheels Volk Racing wheels; Staggered 17x8/9; Conti DWS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Member Rides and Builds > Member Build Threads - Lexus IS only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page