Enthusiast

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkdout View Post
I think they'll look good gloss!

Good job on the diversion panel too!
Yah thanks and I hope so. I have a feeling it will be all about the dirt on the brakes now. ha!

Couple more prelim shots here... showing panel mounted

Another engine bay teaser. Still a few things to clean up here...

blkdout likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 156 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

The filters could be a few weeks away still, so a little more of a view for now. You can also see how I ended up covering my vacuum lines along the back firewall. I started building another couple covers, but that might end up more as a winter project. I wanted the engine covers opposite of the color of the roof on the car, keeping most of the lower half black and have a more a consistent theme.

Also building a piece to extend the hood scoop to the rear air filter, and need to polish it up yet. Should be ready by the time the clean air filters arrive. The front air filter has scoop up towards the rad in between headlight drawing fresh air towards it already.
blkdout likes this.
post #108 of 156 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Another thing I've been playing with is on the computer side of things. I couldn't find a way to overlay multiple different datalogs values on top of each other... so I took the raw .csv files and made myself a spreadsheet so that I can overlay values more easily now. Basically, I just cut and paste the log values, and using my dyno and dyno log as a reference, it makes it match closer to the dyno whp and wtq.

When I compare numbers to my April dyno, running E70 appears to have been good for 20-30 ft/lbs at the wheels prior to 2800rpms with spool around 150-200rpms sooner. And then from 3000-4000rpms more like 60-100 ft-lbs at the wheels as it allowed me to run another 8-10psi of boost and not have spark (or detonation) issues. It remains to be officially proven, but based on before/after logs and just being in the car.... it should be close with an err on the conservative side. With the dyno, you never really know though.... especially with V160 and short IS rear end the load is closer to my 3rd or 4th gear on the street/etc..

Anyways, for shits and giggles, I compared an ethanol run from May to LS1 and LS2 dynos. My latest runs haven't really increased due to my fuel pumps not keeping up at higher pressure. I did end up buying an Aeromotive/Walbro as mentioned by Blkdout, but have to throw it on and see if it will help. The problem, which I've complained about, but didn't totally articulate for others not in the know is that fuel pump flow curves drop off at high pressure and your pump needs to maintain base fuel pressure + manifold boost pressure. This is because the injectors need to overcome the pressure in the manifold, and maintain that 43psi differential in a boost referenced system in order to flow what they would at 43psi. For example, if your base fuel pressure is 43psi, and you are running 30psi of boost, 43psi + 30psi =73psi as the pressure you should be sizing your pump for. Now, if your injectors are a little bit smaller than needed, you can usually get more flow out of them with higher pressure. i.e. My ID850s can flow over 1100cc/min each but if I need a 60psi base fuel pressure to do that, and need to run 30psi of boost in my manifold... the pumps need to flow enough at 90psi. Most pumps simply don't do this, and even the Walbro has an internal relief that starts to open at 80psi in stock form.

Bla, bla bla, with the Aeromotive/Walbro pump to try in the mix now, and some tweaks, I will be happy enough if the peak power/torque values stay close

post #109 of 156 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Just realized I lobbed off rpms on my last dyno sheet posted. I wanted that other sheet since it compared to a functioning VVTi twin setup. This one is by itself, clean and easy to read.

And here is the run comparison from first time WOT in February, to the April Dyno, to how it running on E70 mix with more boost. You can see the difference in ethanol mix has made and how building a sequential system is much more of a process than just going with single. I had it all perfectly mapped out in my head on exactly where the transition would happen before it all ran, but reality still required some adaptations.

Also, back in February I had a few issues to sort with control valves and the original synapse BOV was much worse than the leaky ebay BOV (basically all boost vented and really horrendous during transition), etc... The lines are not as smooth as I have zero smoothing/ hundreds of points of raw data, but values should be close to whp/wtq based on the dyno and dyno log. On the E70 run data, I went a little more conservative, so actual dyno should be realistic... but don't count your chickens before they hatch as they say.

post #110 of 156 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 10:25 AM
Cherisher

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)

Quote:
if your base fuel pressure is 43psi, and you are running 30psi of boost, 43psi + 30psi =73psi as the pressure you should be sizing your pump for.
My builder was just explaining this to me! I try to pick his brain every chance I see him haha
He said it's time for me to hook up my ethanol sensor. Not looking forward to wreaking my garage and self like gas

Quote:
Aeromotive/Walbro pump
You mean TI Automotive?
Hope it works out!

All around looking sweet man! I like the cowl scoop idea and of course every bit more of the engine bay you reveal. Can't wait for more!

"There's nothing like waiting and getting exactly what you want."
-Hiral
post #111 of 156 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
My builder was just explaining this to me! I try to pick his brain every chance I see him haha
He said it's time for me to hook up my ethanol sensor. Not looking forward to wreaking my garage and self like gas

You mean TI Automotive?
Hope it works out!

All around looking sweet man! I like the cowl scoop idea and of course every bit more of the engine bay you reveal. Can't wait for more!
Lol yep, TI Automotive. Had Aeromotive on my mind as you can tell.

Good call on wiring in the ethanol sensor.. . When I put my sensor in, I already had a 'measured' 70% ish mix in the tank, and had just fudged it manually in the proefi. It was a good thing from the smell perspective as pure ethanol doesn't have VOCs (volatile organic compounds for non-nerd types) and smells kind of sweet like when you think about sweet corn. Normal pump gas on the other hand has VOCs, smells terrible, and generally all around sucks when you have to do work with the fuel system. Anyway, even at 70% mix the difference in smell difference on oneself and garage is sooo much better
post #112 of 156 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

I ended up swapping over one of the DW pumps to the TI Automotive pump. I will say that the TI pump is pretty bottom heavy and fits narrowly beside my other DW pump. Two of the TI automotive pumps on the squash hanger likely wouldn't happen, or they would fit in very 'squashed' pushing each other out at the bottom and messing up connections up top.

Also decided to cut out the catalytic converter on the side with my electric cutout... I still have a converter on the other side but figured for track duties, I'd see if it would make a difference. Kind of glad that I decided to cut it out as it turns out it that it had already met an untimely demise.

Pretty sure you can't melt a catalytic converter as they are rated much higher temp than either my turbos or valves (like 600-800 degrees higher)... however, anti-lag smashing it to bits..... yep...

Haven't been for a spin yet as my driveway was blocked by 3 other cars when I finished up. But I did start it and verified that the pump was working and got to experience the new sound. Not sure I like the sound as much without the cat, but will decide after driving it. Off idle response was improved, so that cat could have been down for some time.
post #113 of 156 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Went out for a quick rip yesterday, and am happy to report that the fuel pump held more pressure for longer than the old pump.

The triumph was somewhat short lived though... lol. Without the chunks of dead cat in the exhaust or the rest of that cat... turbo was ignoring the wastegate up top, so power came up and maxed injector duty again. Going to have to restore movement to one of my wastegates to get better boost control with the freer-flowing exhaust. I've been running one choked back to make sure it wasn't affecting my spool up efforts.

As for updated dyno... dyno places are too busy right now, so might not happen until fall or next spring at this rate.
post #114 of 156 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 05:45 PM
Cherisher

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)

Nice cat photo. Looks like it's been through hell and back - or at least through some tuning.

Glad you're getting closer to solving the fuel issues. I've always been on a single pump but wondering what's going to happen when some higher ethanol percentages start rolling through.

Looking forward to more!

"There's nothing like waiting and getting exactly what you want."
-Hiral
post #115 of 156 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Nice cat photo. Looks like it's been through hell and back - or at least through some tuning.

Glad you're getting closer to solving the fuel issues. I've always been on a single pump but wondering what's going to happen when some higher ethanol percentages start rolling through.

Looking forward to more!
Yah, I have a feeling I destroyed that thing pretty early on. lol. If you have bigger injectors, you should be able to run your single at a lower pressure and not have to look into an additional pump. I should just be happy where it's at... but well, you know how well that works out. I should just buy bigger injectors, but fuel pumps are a lot more cost effective if I can get them to work higher up.

Trying to get a buddy to head to the track sometime in the next few weeks with me (it's a 3 hour drive one way). I'm a little terrified based on traction issues that I'll run like 12s@129mph, lol. But, really just want to get out there before the end of the year to come up with some things to work on over winter to improve that.

I ended up doing another wetsand, 1500, 3000,5000, cut,cut,polish, polish over the past while on the paint, chip guard on wheels etc.. but haven't really taken time for photos since. So I went out and grabbed a few in a couple different spots. There was one old garage with some grafitti in front of it that I wanted to do, but I drove by and they replaced all the siding, put new paint, and made it look new... argh. lol Need to rent a wide angle lens for my SLR one of these days... the camera phone shots turned out better I think.

Anyway a few shots without filters, and then a few after I like with filters.

Go cowtown

garage shot... not quite bedtime

pic of the front end

me likey

felt like my garage is a little more old school/farm town here so corresponding filter

Since you guys all seem to like black cars... tried the best I could

No I wasn't high while making this

and finally...

Last edited by whatthe; 08-13-2016 at 12:14 PM.
post #116 of 156 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

I have been trying to enjoy the car while the weather is nice... taking it out daily running around 26-30+psi on mix of ethanol (a lot more than dyno day). The power delivery has been super enjoyable. Such a killer street set-up and as long as its at a normal cruising rpm there is an extra atmosphere of boost being crammed in within the amount of time that it takes for my foot to travel to the floor. Even 1 or 2 gear stop or roll races at low speeds, I haven't been disappointed... including some GTR and some dude on a crotch rocket that I had to let off given where he was and how the lane was ending.

Kind of a funny incident off a light the other day... there was a guy with a very sweet new 550hp Range Rover that asked 'if my car had a turbo'. I didn't bother to mention how many, but just said yeah it does. He asked to race, and after looking at the light and nothing ahead, figured we would have room for a quick gear or so. I was a little concerned about that Range Rovers 4.5 second to 60, but I've logged sub 4 seconds to 60 in the ECU so I was curious to see how it would turn out. I could see him brake torque before the light changed... so I put it in second, launch control timer - 2500rpms launch limit (fastest way I found for me to hit 60), light goes green I let out clutch and the giant $120,000 behemoth shoots about half a car ahead first 60 feet with AWD and ton of torque.. the proefi/launch limiter/and pilot super sports on my end were working for it but holding up admirably. As traction became better stabilized I gained that half a car back going through transition from 1 turbo to two turbos and then it wasn't much of a match on the power/weight front after that. Gave each other a wave after, the guy was pretty good up front about it and after.

The nice thing with the launch timer is that I can limit rpms prior to ECU having to intervene but takes some work to setup. After 25-40mph I let regular traction control take it from there. It's really one of those newer ECU features you just have to own to appreciate.. having it allows me to keep my foot down and control wheelspin to a reasonable amount, without killing boost like what would happen getting on and off the throttle. Also it's nowhere near as invasive as factory traction control since I can set whatever wheel speed differential works for my tire setup and it won't cut throttle

I don't think I posted this in the past, so here are a couple of 3rd gear logs that show the wheelspin without traction control and then with traction control built into the ProEFI. The first one, the rear wheel speed has gone vastly ahead of front wheel speed and is close to a smoke show at that point (red and green lines should be spooning each other). With a warmer road and tire, 3rd normally isn't so bad... but this was a good day to illustrate the difference.

And then with traction control active, the red line starts to jump away from the green line, but the ECU does it's magic forcing the red line to go back and hump the green line. All the while, my boost is flat, my foot is flat, and it's maximizing how fast it can go for me. Traction control that makes sense... ahhh..

All of that said.. the downside to having lots of torque and trying to maximize that torque with traction available?? I suspect that I busted my diff yesterday. On decel, pretty serious noise popped up every few feet which sounds like a broken or bent tooth on one of the gears in the back. Diff oil was shaving free, so I'm going to drop it and see if I caught it early enough to just replace gears. If not, I may end up parking it a little early for the winter and start on the next phase of suspension tuning/figure out diff options/etc..
post #117 of 156 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 11:07 PM
Frequenter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

I just read through your whole thread, I'm surprised I didn't see it before! The car looks awesome, and I'm glad you're enjoying it. I wish you could do my body work and paint, yours looks great!!

Nice kill story too =) *thumbs up* on the entire build!
whatthe likes this.

My IS300 - 5.3 LSx swap and Turbo, KWv3's, bushings, sways, wheels, flares, scoops, lots of tire smoke and 620 whp and 650 torque - tons of parts and so much time.
Check out Page 3 of my "build thread" for my car currently- http://my.is/forums/f219/mitchs-ls6-...y-land-522370/
post #118 of 156 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by isthreehun View Post
I just read through your whole thread, I'm surprised I didn't see it before! The car looks awesome, and I'm glad you're enjoying it. I wish you could do my body work and paint, yours looks great!!

Nice kill story too =) *thumbs up* on the entire build!
Thanks for the comments on the paint and build. It was a lot more effort than I planned, but it was worth it in the end. For the paint, I have to give some credit to Youtube videos like Kevin Tetz and his eastwood series as a few of his seemingly simple tips made a pretty big difference. I've painted a few cars, but this one turned out better than previous ones for sure.

It's getting cooler and already seen some bits of snow here so won't be too much to report on this for a few months. By next summer, I want to sort out diff upgrade or transmission change, a few minor changes on power side, and otherwise focus more time on the suspension.
post #119 of 156 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

I was talking to Alpha at Induction Performance during the black Friday sales... highly recommended at any time of year really, but he happened to have super some hard to come by items that will help out VE and let me rev out higher and I couldn't help myself.... to be continued...

Other than that, will have to see how much time I have for how involved my plans get. A lot of my spare time is getting donated for other pursuits of torque... I ended up telling a buddy I would help him out on his project... which has involved into my lift being occupied by a C43 AMG with SL55 supercherger kid on my lift now (well the whole damn motor, and I've been told that's the correct spelling in other threads). He's never even really replaced an air filter, and he decided to do a level 10 kind of swap. After borrowing an Enigma machine from the army, will work through German part numbers and wiring... there may be a ProEFI in its future as well depending on the results of the cipher machine.

post #120 of 156 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 03:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Garage
outstanding work! What a great build and you've put so much work and effort into it. Awesome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Member Rides and Builds > Member Build Threads - Lexus IS only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page