Well, it has been a fairly busy few weeks for me with a variety of things going on. I made it busier last week and decided to make some changes on the exterior. The old factory blended spoiler is gone in favor of a more aggressive carbon fiber one. And I went for a full commitment to the black roof/hood/trunk with actual paint. I may have to change my username to 1/2blkdout or 1/2blktezza now.
Ended up having to take the plastidip off with a goo-gone. I thinned it out with automotive paint thinner so I could use my actual spray gun when I put it on. It looked a lot cleaner than most plastidip installs, but I was lusting after something glassy smooth to the touch.
Painful - ripping off something I just spent a bunch of effort on and ditching the blended in stock spoiler.
Pic in the process stage after sanding down and welding up most of the stuff on the trunk. Again- painful sanding down the paint that I just applied...
So many holes in the stock trunk. Would have been easier to grab a new trunk, but I have welding wire and filler... so the free/but more work option was chosen.
I asked the bodyshop supply place for whatever would be the most black. The can he gave me literally just said 'black', with no paint code and didn't have spray instructions on it. It was a Valspar related company though, which my blue base coat was so I gave it a shot. It sprayed a little odd to start with, but got used to it and end result is way better than the plastidip.
The clear ended up with more dust in it as I was feeling brave and didn't prep my garage near as good as last time. Next time, I think primer and base coat in garage, and clear coat in a booth. Doing all the prep in the same place as the spray is just makes a clean spray area very challenging. This pic is at the 5000 grit wet sanding stage on the clear
Annnndddddd the end result -- I went out for a drive up through the mountains for a round of golf yesterday and grabbed some completed photos. Looks way better to me, so I feel the effort was worth it.
Playing around a little with effects. Don't normally go for these kinds of photos, but was feeling like trying something different
As for power wise... Just comparing the HP/Torque numbers in teh logs from first dyno day to now, and it is making quite a bit more torque and power than previous. Big problem though is still maxing out my injector pulsewidth earlier in the rpm band. Some sort of conflict with the dual fuel pump arrangement reducing their output was suggested by manufacturer. That, or I'm thinking I have some clones of the pumps they are supposed to be. They definitely drop off more like a low pressure Walbro than the high pressure pumps they are supposed to be. I also tried some things on suction side with no success. I think I'm going to order another pump and see if it helps, and then.... off to the dyno.