User Tag List

53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 161 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)

Installed the ethanol sensor, but haven't played around with it yet.

Been working on bunch of things. Starting to put some final touches on the interior. Fire blankets there, now just to add some barf bags, and should be good to go.

LED around sub. Kids said they missed the factory lights in my old mini, so had to throw some in.

Basic idea in trunk now. Added some carpet along the back since, but still tweaking

Museum quality...? Does that make my car that old?

ProEFI safeties cut and default all the live long day faster than I can, so I have no need to see gauges all the time so mounted in glove box out of my driving view. If I was going to road race, i would probably change this. Have done it in the past this way though, and typically ends up my preference on a car that gets driven.

This is the process I use on these type of fittings. There are easier to work with designs out there for sure. Since I had to add in ethanol content sensor while still on the vehicle, and it was under the car, there is no fancy bench vise/tape around fittings to keep scratches off/etc.

Cut with shears. I hate the hacksaw that sends shards galore in the lines... especially while it is on my vehicle.

used back-end of utility knife to spread apart braid from the hose so that I can trim back. It needs to be trimmed regardless because this type of fitting the braid will get caught in the threads if you don't. Also need to go back far enough to cut the inner hose with the utility knife (need to get rid of the part that was pinched with my shears)

inner hose cut off after trimming braid back

Starting to put fitting together.... again, very crucial braid doesn't get stuck in threads which is a challenge on these fittings. Not my favorite, but had some extras lying around.
blkdout likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 161 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

We had local car show called Driven on Saturday. I ended up joining the team from our local car forum pretty last minute (go ahead literally two days before). My car isn't quite show car clean, but it was a good time.

I was super excited to see another car with the same blue car black roof color theme

LS2 swapped into E36 M3 in our booth - best of show track prepped. Insanely cool setup

My camera was full pretty quick, but another guy in our group grabbed a couple great shots of engine bay/exterior

Another LS swap in our booth - best of show Nissan S123456789 chassis They had awards for every year and month of Nissan it seemed.

Super clean Supra... many parts from the shop I worked many many years ago

Few cool bikes down there

blkdout and White2003Lexus like this.
post #93 of 161 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

I grabbed a barrel of E98 a couple weeks ago, but just getting time now to set it all up.

In order to verify the ethanol content that the sensor was reading in the ProEFI software I ended up taking a baseline of straight E98 on the sensor, and then mixed E98 with gas at a few different ratios direct to senso and then read what the ECU said. Now I can say that I'm comfortable with what it is reading for ethanol content within a few percent anyway.

I ended up running just an e70 mix to try and accommodate my small-ish injectors. ECU side seemed sorted, EGTs looked good so started turning up boost a bit. I was like 'wow, this feels amazing'... 3rd gear starting to require bravery to keep my foot down even with traction control... fart on the gas pedal at highway speeds and it was picking up huge speeds.

So, I went to a low rpm, just to see how the curve was building ... I was like 'yeahhhh, feels good'; but then it hit some kind of limiter before 3000rpms. I was like 'aw damn, spark drop is still there'... looked and the log and it turned out to be boost protection cutting engine as it hit over 31psi at 28xxrpm and my cut was set at 30psi. Did a quick adjustment and check again in 5th, and 29psi down low, no spark drop. Boost curve through transition is also great now, boost leaks seem to be sorted, so have to try to head in for another dyno run.

Check out that torque number and the rpm.... unreal for a 2J and on par with blown 6.2Liter hellcat at that rpm (again, lighter chassis with the IS)... Also as a reference, my ProEFI log had actually read lower hp and torque values than the dyno did

blkdout and White2003Lexus like this.

post #94 of 161 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 04:02 PM
Cherisher

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)

Love the description of the feeling of ethanol! Definitely a motivator to get back on mine

Looking good! Still can't wait to see the full reveal!
whatthe likes this.

"There's nothing like waiting and getting exactly what you want."
-Hiral
post #95 of 161 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkdout View Post
Love the description of the feeling of ethanol! Definitely a motivator to get back on mine

Looking good! Still can't wait to see the full reveal!
Yah, just being able to run high boost, and having some extra psi at xx rpm is pretty awesome. Even during transition, it seems to keep up a few pounds more. I would also bet that part of the spark clearing up is related to ethanol being easier to light off than the MS109.

Looking forward to seeing yours all wrapped up on this next phase as well.

I'm hoping to install the driveshaft loop I've had lying around this week and also figure out a new fuel pressure issue. Fuel pressure was rock steady when base pressure was 43psi, even over 70psi when under boost. But after upping the base pressure to try and get some more fuel, it started to both drop down at higher rpms, and also go up and down in a few spots after. I'm thinking the pumps are starving themselves trying to keep up with demand. The pumps should meet flow requirements I want even at 90psi or more, so I'm leaning towards a suction issue related to strainers on the pumps or baffle in tank.

If I can't resolve the pressure issue some, I may just lower boost a bit on the top end to stay under the limit for now and worry about a balls out run sometime in the future.
White2003Lexus likes this.
post #96 of 161 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 11:55 AM
Aficionado

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)

I'm jealous of you guys and your ProEFI
whatthe likes this.
post #97 of 161 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkaltezza View Post
I'm jealous of you guys and your ProEFI
They are slightly more affordable than they used to be so I say that you can always make your dreams come true. Even ProEFI 48 can do most of the same stuff, or I've seen two used ones come up for sale here.

As far as some cost savings - My i-boost switch right now ended up as a $10 100k pot from an old audio project I had lying around since my i-boost switch somehow failed. I was able to squeeze the pot in the stock coin tray.

The Ethanol sensor I grabbed from another build thread is GM Part # 13577429 (around $60 online), and the connector was GM Part # 13352241 with waterproof connections/wires already assembled ($10). I paid a little more locally from GM dealer, but still pretty cheap. The Earls fittings I have part number somewhere for.

etc. etc. other than that, the rest of the sensors can be had cheaper as well, but I had grabbed all ProEFI goodies originally. I will say that it is nicer to grab everything from one place, the proefi stuff comes with quality harnesses/pins/instructions/etc.... but if it's budget issue, there are ways.
post #98 of 161 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

I also haven't posted this up... my line lock/momentary switch is right by the shifter as I've taken over the stock snow button. The annoying part is that the snow button shares a ground with the traction control internal to the switch. Since traction control goes back direct to ProEFI now, I wanted to keep this totally separate. Ended up being a bit of a PITA, but hacked up switch and got it all wired up separately.

switch out

sawed through the common ground. ended up plastic weld little tab together at top back up.

chopping wires

soldering wires. the heat shrink out of view in this shot.
White2003Lexus likes this.
post #99 of 161 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Well, it has been a fairly busy few weeks for me with a variety of things going on. I made it busier last week and decided to make some changes on the exterior. The old factory blended spoiler is gone in favor of a more aggressive carbon fiber one. And I went for a full commitment to the black roof/hood/trunk with actual paint. I may have to change my username to 1/2blkdout or 1/2blktezza now.

Ended up having to take the plastidip off with a goo-gone. I thinned it out with automotive paint thinner so I could use my actual spray gun when I put it on. It looked a lot cleaner than most plastidip installs, but I was lusting after something glassy smooth to the touch.

Painful - ripping off something I just spent a bunch of effort on and ditching the blended in stock spoiler.

Pic in the process stage after sanding down and welding up most of the stuff on the trunk. Again- painful sanding down the paint that I just applied...

So many holes in the stock trunk. Would have been easier to grab a new trunk, but I have welding wire and filler... so the free/but more work option was chosen.

I asked the bodyshop supply place for whatever would be the most black. The can he gave me literally just said 'black', with no paint code and didn't have spray instructions on it. It was a Valspar related company though, which my blue base coat was so I gave it a shot. It sprayed a little odd to start with, but got used to it and end result is way better than the plastidip.

The clear ended up with more dust in it as I was feeling brave and didn't prep my garage near as good as last time. Next time, I think primer and base coat in garage, and clear coat in a booth. Doing all the prep in the same place as the spray is just makes a clean spray area very challenging. This pic is at the 5000 grit wet sanding stage on the clear

Annnndddddd the end result -- I went out for a drive up through the mountains for a round of golf yesterday and grabbed some completed photos. Looks way better to me, so I feel the effort was worth it.

Playing around a little with effects. Don't normally go for these kinds of photos, but was feeling like trying something different

As for power wise... Just comparing the HP/Torque numbers in teh logs from first dyno day to now, and it is making quite a bit more torque and power than previous. Big problem though is still maxing out my injector pulsewidth earlier in the rpm band. Some sort of conflict with the dual fuel pump arrangement reducing their output was suggested by manufacturer. That, or I'm thinking I have some clones of the pumps they are supposed to be. They definitely drop off more like a low pressure Walbro than the high pressure pumps they are supposed to be. I also tried some things on suction side with no success. I think I'm going to order another pump and see if it helps, and then.... off to the dyno.

Last edited by whatthe; 06-29-2016 at 08:21 PM.
post #100 of 161 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 07:05 AM
Cherisher

Nice work. Looks great!

I'm still running a single pump. Hasn't shown any signs of issues or struggle thus far - By that I mean my tuner hasn't said anything to me about it haha
It's the TI Automotive F90000267. Maybe worth a look.

Quote:
I may have to change my username to 1/2blkdout or 1/2blktezza now
That would be fun. We'd troll the whole site considering most are confused by who's who anyway
whatthe likes this.

-Hiral
post #101 of 161 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Nice work. Looks great!

I'm still running a single pump. Hasn't shown any signs of issues or struggle thus far - By that I mean my tuner hasn't said anything to me about it haha
It's the TI Automotive F90000267. Maybe worth a look.

That would be fun. We'd troll the whole site considering most are confused by who's who anyway
Yah exactly, good opportunity to mess with peoples minds. I thought you guys were the same person for the longest time myself.

The TI automotive pump looks like a good option. Came across a good read on Fore Innovations blog about that pump. Fore Innovations The relief valve at 80psi would be an issue as I want to run at 85-90psi to help my wee injectors... but they also ever so helpfully did a nice follow up on how to modify that. They also had a comment that TI was thinking about doing a version with a higher setting on the relief valve... so I sent TI automotive an email to see if such a version exists yet. I'll update here if they get back to me. Even if they don't have the higher pressure version, I'll likely give that pump a shot versus the DW pumps I have. Not thrilled by their suggestion that they are losing potentially 30% or more in flow from running in parallel.
post #102 of 161 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 04:57 PM
Cherisher

Oh wow. I would have never guessed there was a whole in-depth review about it. I chose it because it seemed like a good compliment to my "E85" injectors.

I kind of suspected it might be a decent choice for your setup as it's capable of taking care of your goals pretty easily. I only say that because I still want a full view of what's under that hood! Nice teaser shot on post #92 tho
whatthe likes this.

-Hiral
post #103 of 161 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Oh wow. I would have never guessed there was a whole in-depth review about it. I chose it because it seemed like a good compliment to my "E85" injectors.

I kind of suspected it might be a decent choice for your setup as it's capable of taking care of your goals pretty easily. I only say that because I still want a full view of what's under that hood! Nice teaser shot on post #92 tho
Soon, very soon. It's really not that as eye-catching as a giant turbo, but as soon as I add a panel, and clean up some of my 'temporary science project' type stuff, I will post more info up. Have been prepping some blather to put up on a webpage as well... perhaps by the time you get back from vacation.
blkdout likes this.
post #104 of 161 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Small update - haven't had a chance for either updated dyno or track time yet. Mostly have just been doing cosmetic work, cleaning up rock chips, some odds bits of temporary wire routing, and other things.

Built my own air diversion plate now since these are harder to find nowadays and the ones that are in stock are stupidly priced. I made a mock up of one, grabbed a $10 cut off of aluminum from local metal supply house, had a different shop through in a couple of bends on the piece, and took it home. Marked it up according to my rough template and have since cut it all up and done a mild polished on it so far. Working on molding at least one other cover under hood, painting that, and waiting for a couple of 'non-dirty' air filters to arrive on the engine bay side. Once I have the filters, will do some photos as it should be more presentable by then.

Rock chips were happening far too fast on the front bumper so ended up trying a 'sprayable' rock chip guard. 3M or similar film products are crazy expensive around here and would have to be custom for the TTE bumper. Turned out ok for the most part... looks 'super wet' but seemed to dry a little faster than normal clear and not quite perfect. Will have to get it outside and see if I really like it.

Also ended up having enough to try the chip guard on the rims. The rims looked good flat black when they were clean, but the flat color absorbed all manner of dirt in a manner of seconds on the road... turning dirty and gross. Sometimes rims kind of disappear with gloss black, but again.... worth a try

blkdout likes this.
post #105 of 161 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 03:51 PM
Cherisher

I think they'll look good gloss!

Good job on the diversion panel too!
whatthe likes this.

-Hiral
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Member Rides and Builds > Member Build Threads - Lexus IS only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page