47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #76 of 156 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 06:08 PM
Cherisher

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)

Ooo very nice two step sound! Mean but clean. I like

Awesome that you're taking the time to go through the initial steps like reading your plugs and paying attention to all the little details that make a great car. I'm looking forward to your summer progress. Good stuff!
whatthe likes this.

"There's nothing like waiting and getting exactly what you want."
-Hiral
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 156 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkdout View Post
Ooo very nice two step sound! Mean but clean. I like

Awesome that you're taking the time to go through the initial steps like reading your plugs and paying attention to all the little details that make a great car. I'm looking forward to your summer progress. Good stuff!
Yah, you and me both. Looking forward to getting some summer rubber on, replacement diff, and then turning up the boost.

Quick vid in the meantime - doesn't take much effort from a 2nd gear start to shred the winters. Not the fastest way through 2nd, but fun...

2nd Gear tire shredding start - YouTube

I'm thinking the two-step was kind of pointless with this setup until some meaty tires are on.
post #78 of 156 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

I actually melted and left some chunks off one of the rear tires from that one run.. pic below doesn't show it, but either way time to swap to the summers... more meat with 265s and vastly better compound with the super sports. Not a great drag tire, but already way more traction.. time to work on the ecu side of traction control and launch control to make these last more than a few runs.

I was also getting pretty bad wheel hop. Built some home made rigid bars out of square tubing and an old flange I had around. I didn't quite believe all the reviews on the bars helping wheel hop, but I swapped before the tire change and they really do work well.

What happens when you run your diff low on oil. When I first parked the car, I was thinking about swapping parts over to another IS that I had since the other one was just a really clean car. Unfortunately after my first drive out in the car after being back on the road I realized that 6 years ago I drained the diff fluid. All the dust/painting/etc. covered up any trace that I had drained it. I figure I was pushing my luck driving it still, so just replaced it with another used one. I actually expected the caps to look worse, but seems like bearings took most of the brunt

blkdout likes this.

post #79 of 156 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 05:25 PM
Frequenter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)

Why did you do the GTE VVTi setup instead of just building the GE? I'm looking for similar power goals with a single PTE 6466 and am curious.
post #80 of 156 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr4FFy View Post
Why did you do the GTE VVTi setup instead of just building the GE? I'm looking for similar power goals with a single PTE 6466 and am curious.
I replied in your other thread... just as a matter of record in the build thread -

---

If you are doing a full rebuild, you can choose upgrade parts at the same time so it doesn't really matter.
What deterred me from this are the machinists around here. They are used to oil and gas company work/prices and they don't do automotive well. Getting a proper surface finish and flat deck on the long inline 6 seems impossible(have had a few head gasket failures related to machine work).

Also - the GTE VVTi can plug and play with IS sensors/harness so you keep IS harness, extend some bits here and there and just use the GTE bits. plus the GTE has larger coolant pipe on the block, sodium filled exhaust valves (more important on the sequential or road racing), pre-tapped oil return and feed points for both turbos, exhaust ports spaced per some flanges I had cut for the manifold I built, the better rods, etc..
post #81 of 156 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 09:01 PM
Frequenter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)

I know sorry! I didn't realize it before I commented.

Back on track with the thread, what did you end up replacing the diff with? Another stock rebuild?
post #82 of 156 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr4FFy View Post
I know sorry! I didn't realize it before I commented.

Back on track with the thread, what did you end up replacing the diff with? Another stock rebuild?
I just went with another used stock M85 with the torsen LSD. It felt pretty tight, so I just swapped it on. If it was bad, there is warranty from the wrecker.

I wanted to do a major rear end swap, but not more than I want the car on the road right now. Plus, I've been tossing around the idea of ditching the V160 and going for a T56 swap. There are some Supra guys using the T56, some V8 IS300 swaps, and I think even one 2J IS300 (Yojimbo). The speed in each gear with a T56 matched with stock 3.76 IS300 diff is much closer to a V160 with a Supra 3.13 diff. The V160 is kind of fun with the short gears on the IS, but somedays I feel like it's been reduced to a 5 speed. Having the rpms knocked down 600rpms on the highway would also go a long way to reducing noise and making it more enjoyable on a longer drive.

For comparison the V160 on IS diff only gets someone to 115mph in 4th, vs. 139mph in 4th on Supra diff, or T56 could get to 146 mph (even R154 to 150mph in 4th). Given that the car should be in the 130-135mph range in the 1/4mile, the idea of shifting into 5th at the track is not appealing to me (hence the 2nd gear start vid).
blkdout likes this.
post #83 of 156 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

In the previous tire pic, you can see some shine/wear on the inside edge. The other side also has the same shine on the inside edge, but the chunks that came off are an inch or two further in on the tire only.

I suspect toe change during acceleration (wheels coming forward) would be part of the problem for the inside edge (especially given the wheel hop I was getting). But given where the chunks came off on the other side, I'm wondering if the camber will also be an issue for me. I'm stuck around -2.5 to -3 in the back with the height of these coilovers and it just seems odd that the chunks only came off on the inside 1/3rd.

What are the minimum parts lowered and higher horsepower guys are putting on the rear end now? Toe bars are on my list, and contemplating arms in the rear. That and I may also look for longer springs to go on these HKS coils.

post #84 of 156 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 06:55 PM
Cherisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthe View Post
What are the minimum parts lowered and higher horsepower guys are putting on the rear end now? Toe bars are on my list, and contemplating arms in the rear. That and I may also look for longer springs to go on these HKS coils.
Can't speak for others and can only speak from a "street" perspective but here's my setup:
Pro Kit
Illuminas
Mega Drop Arms
RCA spacers
Subframe bars.. or whatever they're called
Eibach Sways
225/40

Really comfortable, corners great.
No hop, only spin. Very smooth IMO - just need wider wheels!

edit: also Megan engine mounts and TRD trans mount if that makes a difference. I have Figs diff bushings in a box still.

-Hiral

Last edited by blkdout; 04-14-2016 at 07:02 PM.
post #85 of 156 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Can't speak for others and can only speak from a "street" perspective but here's my setup:
Pro Kit
Illuminas
Mega Drop Arms
RCA spacers
Subframe bars.. or whatever they're called
Eibach Sways
225/40

Really comfortable, corners great.
No hop, only spin. Very smooth IMO - just need wider wheels!

edit: also Megan engine mounts and TRD trans mount if that makes a difference. I have Figs diff bushings in a box still.

That's the kind of feedback I was looking for. I planned to drive this thing on the street all the time, and using my other ride in the winter. This kind of tire wear issue is not acceptable. I have the same engine and trans mount, subframe bars, Hotckiss sway bars, HKS coils, etc. so our list is pretty close. I tried adjusting the toe in favor of when it's under load but when it felt good under load it was crap while cruising. It's clear, just the movement is the problem. I think the FIGs basic lower kit with sport arms, toe bars, etc. is on the list now.
post #86 of 156 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Torque baby -Torque-iest stock GTE below 3500rpm on the planet???

Called in a favor and went for a quick dyno run at my friends shop. I was able to make more torque down low than the stock sequential VVTi GTE pretty much everywhere (80-150ftlbs more 3000-3500rpms). I'm also not aware of any sequential system putting down that kind of torque below 3500rpms, so I'm happy in that respect.

I did have a few issues though, mostly self induced. I put in some MS109 last night before the run, and didn't give myself time to re-tune. Also tried upping the boost down low, but didn't rework the transition. Plus my ebay BOV likes to leak after transition... Sounds like excuses, excuses, excuses, but all the nitpicky stuff makes or breaks sequential. : )

Anyway, there are three runs below, two are from mine today and the other one is the base VVTi Aristo GTE with functioning sequential in my friends old shop IS. The top run I tried more boost and you can see it made close to 450 ft-lbs of torque by 3000rpms. Considering the hellcat is a blown 6.2L engine and makes 500ft lbs at 3000rpms, I think ye old 2J did a pretty good job to even approach that. Good thing the IS is 1000lbs lighter.

Unfortunately spark dropped so torque fell off, then spark picked back up, then dropped spark again... My hopes for a good run were out the door straight away. I read after that some guys reduce plug gap by almost half on MS109, which would make sense. I didn't have issues on pump gas, and actually felt more responsive on pump gas initially... plus anytime A/F went a bit rich, spark dropped. I wish we had E85 handy so I could pick up some spool... that and I wish they had ID1300s when I bought my 850s.

Anyway, I turned it down some and did a partial run on the run in green. Transition was messed as I normally just keep low boost on turbo 1. Boost was building slow after transition which usually happens when my BOV sees reduced pressure during transition, so I just said forget it for the day. Came away with a few things to tweak, and will get back to it another day.

The bottom run that is overlayed, is the stock VVTi GTE sequential shop car for reference. Even on lower boost, I managed to keep it better basically everywhere.

post #87 of 156 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

There are very few parts I didn't replace on this car, including my original starter which recently decided to act up. Weather has been fairly overcast and some rain, so I decided to swap it out and start working on a few other things.

To do list right now - includes things like wiring up clutch switch on two step/flat-shift and drive-off assist. Main motivation will be to aid drivability taking off from stop signs/lights. The triple plate revs up way quicker than the stock, and falls quick... so I find it takes me like 2 seconds to do a nice easy driveaway - rev up rev down rev up revvvvvv holdddd go... that or stall in an embarassing fashion. I'm hoping that with the ProEFI drive-off assist keeping it to 2000-ish at low throttle angles, it will fix this awkwardness. Clutch pressure sensor would be best way, but I'm just going to take over the cruise clutch switch at top for time being to try it. My clutch engages pretty high, so hopefully the timing of release/engagement doesn't just make this more challenging.

Once the car is moving, it has been super fun to drive. I really love the feel of the engine/response of the setup and the sound. It isn't really captured with justice on the in car clip with the phone buried in the rear headrest, but will work on capturing that better later on.

Also, just for reference below is a log of the power curve on pump gas when spark was holding, boost was holding, etc.. The final curve on race gas should have been more like this, but it was a little self induced as mentioned last post without full retune and the boost and spark issues.

Since I want to see how far it will go, I'm leaning towards picking up some E85 barrels. I was worried about the ID850s being too small, but looking at the flow of the ID850s they reach 1000-1200cc/min at higher pressure, so they could actually work out well. It looks like the pumps will also still handle the flow at higher pressure, so I may have to renege on my earlier whining about the injector size.
post #88 of 156 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

I played around with the limiters today after wiring in the upper/cruise clutch switch to control the activation of the two-step. I am only disappointed that I didn't do the mod sooner and would strongly recommend wiring this in to anyone with a short release point on their clutch. On first boost setting, I have it set just about 2000rpms at low throttle and ramping up with more throttle.

Since I have my clutch set to engage fairly high up, it's not very far off from engaging by the time the sensor activates on the ECU You can actually turn the clutch switch t add or remove length and get closer to engagement point, but really need to make sure you don't cause incidental clutch drag.

Also, I tried the flatshift out and it felt really good... it kept boost up inbetween shifts, and automatically did the rev matching between for me. Although the flatshift still felt good, looking at the logs I can see where an actual hydraulic sensor would be an improvement on the flat shift side of things. Having it based on the exact moment clutch engages or releases would speed it up a few tenths I'm sure.
blkdout likes this.
post #89 of 156 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 05:53 AM
Cherisher

That stuff sounds very cool. I wasn't even aware of all the functions available... Keep up the good work! Maybe I'll just bring you my car when it's ready for tuning!
whatthe likes this.

-Hiral
post #90 of 156 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
That stuff sounds very cool. I wasn't even aware of all the functions available... Keep up the good work! Maybe I'll just bring you my car when it's ready for tuning!
A bit of a drive for you, but bring it on by.

Definitely some cool features, and really makes a difference to the experience. I have some extra time these days, so will see what else I can work through.

Since I had the panels off to do some wiring for the ethanol sensor/clutch switch/etc., I figured I'd grab a few photos to show how it's possible to put the ProEFI where I did. It's come up a few times, and figured I'd do a better explanation of what I did. Initially I didn't think it was possible myself, and I contemplated this for a while before doing. The stock components did have it a bit rough in the sense that mounting tabs were cut off/removed/altered until I could get them all shoved up and beside each other. Some with double sided velcro tape, one secured to the crash bar, part of the plastic sheath around stock harness cut so I could move wires where I wanted without stress but end result though was no actual re-wiring and about as space efficient for those components as one can get.

This made it completely open for the ProEFI under the steering column. Hard to get a shot, but one can see it's all open with no stress on the wires. The bolt that goes through the side gets hidden under the stock panel, and built a mount off column to secure other side of it. Completely hidden, and worked good for me.

blkdout likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Member Rides and Builds > Member Build Threads - Lexus IS only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page