User Tag List

47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 156 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 03:07 PM
Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm jealous of your parts lol. Did you pick up the os giken new?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 156 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)

The nice part about letting your car sit for so long, is that it allows you to wait for the right part to come along.

I picked up the OS Giken during one of the better sales on rhdjapan (not their usual sale thats on there everyday). Ordering JDM with OS Giken, you take the risk with no warranty. But, most of my parts don't have a warranty anymore... especially by the time I got around to installing them 6 months or two years later.
post #33 of 156 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Pic of testing one end of the new fuel feed lines to the rail.

The pressure test kit for the DIY braided lines fills up with an end like a bike tire. After you pressurize it, you can either let it sit for days to see if it still holds pressure or... I found putting the end in water after it was pressurized revealed tiny bubble forming quite quickly.

Allowed me to get used to how much torque it took to seal the fittings 100% instead of 99%. Initially could see very minor bubble coming out by threads.

post #34 of 156 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 07:50 AM
Lurker

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

^ That's a good idea I never thought of checking them like that. Ya the only problem with leaving parts sit is having your wife move them and then you can't find them
post #35 of 156 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 06:24 PM
Follower

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Subscribed. Keep up the good work!

2004 Savannah Metallic IS300 E-Shift 5AT->Now 5MT. M85 Torsen LS Differential, Supra BBK.
2005 Graphite Gray Pearl IS300 all stock (fiance's)
Your friendly neighborhood Lexus Master Tech.
My Build Thread
post #36 of 156 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Will be getting to some more complete on car photos here soon enough....

one of the many boxes of fittings, flex joints, misc. stuff that have been in my garage

top secret manifold making. Had planned to use USDM manifold, along with some adapting flanges I had cut, but f-ing firewall made it necessary to start building my own. An in progress pic...

top secret joining of the rear of the turbos to the EGCV, again in progress pic.

fuel filter

Top of the squash performance dual pump hanger. Beautiful piece... price sucks though...

post #37 of 156 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Guess where this goes...

Went with ID850s as they are about as short as you can get for high flowing injectors. I ended up not needing them quite so short, but good nonetheless. End result after some adjustments to the fuel rail and spacers is that able to keep stock DBW, throttle body/traction control.

fuel rail with the center return and feed lines attached

pic of the DW pumps on the hanger before it went in. The factory jet pump is kept with the squash hanger which should help balance fuel on both sides of the tank.

When I put both the strainers that came with the DW pumps on the bottom they both overlapped one over the other. Basically trying to suck from exact same spot and there is no internal ribbing in the strainer like the stock one. I ended up using one stock strainer and one of the DW strainers and angled them so they draw from different areas of the sump. I had bought the two pumps as a universal application prior to finding the hanger I wanted, so it's possible the is specific application doesn't come with the same strainers as the universal pumps did.

post #38 of 156 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

manifold has been about as cleaned up, transitioned, and ported as I'm going to do with it for the time being. I will show the massive difference in ports a bit later.

Side view against a new USDM 2jz manifold

post #39 of 156 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 06:06 PM
Cherisher

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)

I like the flex pipes and enlarged exhaust ports.
sequential at it's finest.

"There's nothing like waiting and getting exactly what you want."
-Hiral
post #40 of 156 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

IC piping is done, exhaust bypass valve piped up, IACV inlet modified to match outlet of turbo2, turbos bolted up, welded up some fittings for the oil drain, exhaust about half done, had the oil pan off just to confirm no metal shavings or surprises, etc..

waiting for a few bits to come in (relocate battery, few fittings, etc.)

Can't post more detailed pics of the progress and keep people in the dark until it runs , but progress is still happening as I find the time.
post #41 of 156 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 07:58 PM
Loyalist

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Garage
Looks great. Keep the updates coming

03 5SP LSD LTHR GPS TV CF MODELLISTA
[AEMv2][TT's] [WISECO] [264] [MCR154] [DSS] [GT35R] [FIC775cc] [SRT]
/ BP Short Shifter l Suede Headliner\
post #42 of 156 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

good stuff man, coming along nicely
post #43 of 156 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

some of the 'cost-effective' audio upgrades going in. aurasound NSW2s that will be crossed over down around 1khz using a cheap minidsp. They are now a permanent part of the factory pods. Some of the prep work

Dayton Audio subwoofer going infinite baffle

Tossed around the idea of Konis, vs. various other coilovers. Ended up with some new HKS Hipermax IVs. Not allowed to install these until xmas apparently

post #44 of 156 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 10:00 AM
Aficionado

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

Went through your whole thread, maybe I missed it but are you using USDM twins for your "top secret" manifold? It sounded like your using the stock fuel rail but it looked aftermarket? Nice Christmas present.

13 J8A FR-S Series 10
02 CW Sportcross rebuild in progress
02 BO Sportcross 2jzgte build in progress
11 SW Tundra DC TRD supercharged

02 MSM L-tuned Sportcross 5 Speed Sold
01 DWP IS300 Sold

Sportcross owners group on facebook

My Story: http://my.is/forums/f219/sportcross-...8/#post7991882

My For Sale: http://my.is/forums/f99/sportcross-s...hifter-438917/
post #45 of 156 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curran View Post
Went through your whole thread, maybe I missed it but are you using USDM twins for your "top secret" manifold? It sounded like your using the stock fuel rail but it looked aftermarket? Nice Christmas present.
I'm going to require a garage sale when I'm done. I've changed a few things along the way, and have various parts lying around. I upped my horsepower goals, and was originally going to keep it simple to match horsepower to the stock transmission for a few years. That's all been ditched, and now fuel rail is aftermarket, and the fuel lines/ pump hanger/triple plate clutch/ V160/etc. will all be able to support me as far I would conceivably want to take it and still keep the torque that I'm after.

I also wanted to use the USDM manifold more than the turbos as it is slightly larger inside than the JDM manifold. I had laser cut some custom flange adapters for my new turbos. But, once the engine was in, it was pretty apparent the rear fire wall wasn't going allow me the room I wanted and I would have to build the manifold. It's a positive from a performance aspect as the exhaust side is routed better, internally it transitions much nicer into the turbine with less restriction, etc.. The manifold is actually pretty boring otherwise, only keeping it secret so guys don't prematurely guess the turbo choice based on the flanges. Once it's dynoed and running, I'll post up more details. Have to learn to weld aluminum for a couple items and then I can finalize bolting things up.

As for the turbos flow potential, current target is 600whp with more boost and torque prior to the transition than what other setups are seeing right now. Stock block, head, etc.. The earlier port work has been shelved until I decide how far I want to go.

Quite a few little differences from what guys out there have currently done. I have two internal wastegates with a turbosmart actuator on #1 that provides a little more travel and should be more consistent. Using an external wastegate for my EBV. IACV, and EGCV been cleaned up with some porting (as noted at least with IACV above). The back sides of the turbos were a PITA as well, but are much better than the factory castings. It was a fair bit of effort incorporating mandrel bends into the EGCV and exhaust but does leave a pretty direct path out.

If I can get the time, I will start it up by christmas and aim to drive it this spring/summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Member Rides and Builds > Member Build Threads - Lexus IS only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page