User Tag List

53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #151 of 161 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)

Thanks! Hope to keep playing around with it more if the wife lets me. She's been offering to sell it for basically nothing to all of her friends lately which is a bad sign. Apparently the 'no chance in....' from me doesn't help either.

Waiting for the new timing belt to come in. The leaky seal got oil on this belt, so was a better excuse to order an upgraded belt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 161 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 08:28 AM
Frequenter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)

I must have missed it, but what brand of front bumper is that?

02' Manual w/MKIII LSD and no sunroof.
post #153 of 161 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Bumper is a TTE bumper. They came with their own support, and supposed to be made on same equipment that made the original OEM bumpers. It was one of the first things I bought for the car, and had in garage forever.

So had to hunt down the oil leak. Took timing belt off again, cam gears, covers, 1st cam cap so I could take out seal and inspect it.... annnnnd no damage to the seal. Also no oil on the backside of the cover where a leaky seal would spray. However, the little allen plug inside the exhaust cam inside wasn't tight on the cams (oem is sealed on exhaust). Looks like oil managed to work it's way past threads of the loose plug, and threads on the cam gear bolt after a bit.

[URL=http://s1312.photobucket.com/user/whattheeee5/media/gsc%20cam_zpsttatckcr.jpg.html][/URL

Put a new seal on just for peace of mind, new 'race' belt... but will wait until tomorrow to fire it up.

post #154 of 161 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Swapped out the F90000267 'low pressure' version of the TI automotive 450 pump and the other 255 still on the hanger for two F90000274s. The new ones are the high pressure version of the 450 TI automotive pumps without a relief valve so I should be able to hit higher base pressure and squeak some more out of the injectors.

Had to re-pin wires and mess around on the fit. I didn't think two of these fat bottomed pumps would fit, and it certainly wasn't without effort... but sudo ok.

Started it up after and no leaks which is good. Took a video at few rpm points... over 4k, starts to get quite raspy. Definitely way more aggressive than stock that makes me giddy. Unfortunate fail on the video as phone fell over, but already annoyed the neighbours enough for a day I'm sure. Either way definitely happy with the sound so far. Power TBD. Starting to thaw out here, but will probably be a month or so before its on the road.

blkdout and Baube like this.
post #155 of 161 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 01:34 PM
Follower

Quoted: 70 Post(s)

Looks good; nice pumps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthe View Post
... but sudo ok.
super-user-do or pseudo?
post #156 of 161 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

post #157 of 161 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

So, figured I’d ‘quickly’ throw on those trac rods before starting some tuning… that went swimmingly and end result is now I’m waiting for all new Megan bushings for rear control arms and knuckle in the rear to come in.

The original bolt I started on for just the trac rod plan… bolt rusted inside bushing. Heated it, tried a few things, it just turned inside the knuckle… with the bushing… bah.

This was the side that came out ok… trac rod knuckle bushing also not great.

control arm bushing where it attaches on the subframe? Also garbage... sounds great. There is so much play back here. Apparently horsepower and torque isn't great on super old bushings.

I was going to upgrade control arms at same time, but I can't see the control arm being a major problem compared to the floppy bushings. First step bushings... and then maybe next year I'll throw on rear upper and lower arms (or you know... in another month when I change my mind )

Figured it was a good time as any to replace tie-rod ends as well as the inner rods. I had the nut on the inner tie-rod on the rack get permanently jammed on the shaft last year. Don’t know if it hit a burr or what, but it was not coming loose. After I took it off, tried to get it off just to get the boot, which again, went well… cut it up so I get my boot back.

waiting for some balljoints to arrive and will replace those. New inner tie rod or whatever you feel like calling it in place in this photo

Roll center adapters to try out this year… Figured I would see if they make a difference. I want to spend some more effort tuning the suspension this year and getting it to at the very least 'feel' better.

VEHEMENCE likes this.

Last edited by whatthe; 03-28-2017 at 11:49 PM.
post #158 of 161 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 03:09 PM
Fiend

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

Geez, could you have any worse luck?

Have to let us know on the RCA. I'm torn on coughing up the money for the FIGS lower knuckle part versus just RCA's. The FIGS arms are pricey...
whatthe likes this.

<--- Doesn't believe in stock vehicles
2002 IS300 VVTi GTE v161 Built single - TeCKis300's old car
1995 240sx - NASA PTD trim
post #159 of 161 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 06:26 PM
Cherisher

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)

^ you aren't kidding. Things add up so fast it's almost laughable.

Glad to see you doing all the maintenance things. I admit, I went for performance bits before replacing all that stuff but I'm now viewing it all as a package. I bought the Figs front refresh kit which included #1 LCA's, tie rods, BJ's, etc... I kept the RCA spacers when the rear drop arms were removed.

In any case, glad to hear that engine running healthy!
whatthe likes this.

"There's nothing like waiting and getting exactly what you want."
-Hiral
post #160 of 161 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardrvin View Post
Geez, could you have any worse luck?

Have to let us know on the RCA. I'm torn on coughing up the money for the FIGS lower knuckle part versus just RCA's. The FIGS arms are pricey...
I hear you on the Figs parts. I don't mind paying a premium, but since I started the project, CDN to USD exchange rate went from not to bad, to on par, to now a 35% difference. My premium is going to exchange rate and the $40USD shipping that everybody seems to like to charge. I prefer a slower cash bleed.

I was like Blkdout and totally just thought about the front and getting performance bits for so long... I finally came to the conclusion of 'why didn't I do this stuff?'. Every bushing I saw back there definitely made me groan more though, especially after seeing the amount of play. People talk so much about the front end LCA#2, that the rear gets neglected on power cars.... I would guess the main reason it twisted the bushing to completion was because the bushing was basically mostly cracked through already.

After install of the Megan racing RCA my first impression is that it makes a bigger than expected impact to the arm angle so I do expect it to feel way different. The main downside is that it is quite thick compared to other products like 30-ish mm vs 17ish mm? This changes the height a lot which doesn't help those 'too low' IS300 issues. Coils are up little higher than I wanted them and still quite low. Hoping it feels less 'f-d' up though.

Anyway, pic of it mounted.

and then fixing the toe after replacing the tie rods/etc.

This alignment kit was from Tenhulzen I bought a few years ago, seems to work ok. Drove straight and had no tire wire last year. Still will likely take it in to actual rack after rear is done.

Old stuff definitely due for replacement

Anybody happen to know the height of the stock control arm from this point on the upper perch to the top of the arm? I chucked my stock arms a while ago and pretty sure these arms could be the cause of some of handling complaints if there is quite a bit more space here. Even the boot looks like ass after 1 season. Pretty much time for a better set of these.

More fun in the rear. Bought new sway bar endlinks even, went to remove the old one and the nut has been busted off for a while by looks of it, but bolt still inside rusted away, lol. The arm itself looks better than my sisters 2012 VW, but these bolts and bushings.... gah.

Started taking apart the rear totally. Will hopefully get most of the bushings I need this week or next and finish up.
post #161 of 161 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Adjustable toe arms for the rear, should help reduce bump steer

Lower control arm bolts rusted all the way through as well. Couldn’t be pressed out, hammered out, burnt out… I remember why I had no interest in doing the bushings. I figured it would be a challenge, and it certainly has been.

Had to chop both sides of the bolt off while still on the subframe… one side had to go through the metal bushing part which adds approximately forever using either sawzall, cut off tool, both… slow and painful

Once off, melted and then pushed out the rubber, cut in some reliefs, air hammer/chisel to bring edges a bit, then pushed out the remaining little cup.

Suspension parts piling up. Still have the diff bushings to add to this pile (assuming I can get them in short order). Also contemplating new spring rate for front at least... if I can't get it to 'feel' better on the corners after all of this....

VEHEMENCE and Touge2jz like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Member Rides and Builds > Member Build Threads - Lexus IS only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page