47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 156 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)

Pro EFI 128, Custom sequential, VVTi GTE IS underway

I'm updating the very first post in this thread so that people can actually see what is on the car and the more relevant build photos. I will use this post to show current configuration.

This project started soo long ago, and has gone through several different iterations before it has even had a chance to get back on the road. i.e. I started out planning to do custom sequential, then planned to run stock twins for a while using the stock transmission just to get it on the road, then decided to keep it parked for while longer and the final iteration has had me solidly focused on using the upgraded twins and building other mods to support the upgraded twins.

You'll notice through the thread that I had planned to modify previous motor I grabbed, stock fuel rail at one point, W55 at one point, started doing flow bench testing, got tired of flow matching a couple of the cylinders and ended up just picking up another used motor. Modifying the motor will be saved for a time when I decide if I really need a ridiculous amount of power.

Engine bay emptied out pre-motor

Aristo VVti on truck ride home

Aristo VVTi off the crate. Had an earlier one took apart to build the head, but will finish the head at a later date. Currently unopened motor with maintenance like new valve stem seals, belts, etc.

Back when redoing harness … I was thinking of stock rail and twins at the time. Only part relevant here is the harness mods at work

Some mods necessary to the ABS bracket for relocation

Some of the work required for the custom sequential setup

Turbo coolant pipe

IACV modification

Back half of turbos to EGCV

Building the manifold early on

Schedule 40 weld els for the manifold.

tube

Able to remove twins with engine in car by shortening studs

Dual feed fuel rail

The ID850s

Squash performance dual pump hanger - DW pumps. Didn’t like the overlap of the fuel pump screens, so used stock pickup and one of the others that came with pump.

Top of the fuel pump hanger

Fuel lab filter prior to install. Don't have a photo on here, but mounted on bottom of car up towards where stock fuel components come up

Testing of the braided lines

Exhaust flex joints, wrap, etc.

The all important getrag

Box of parts for the Getrag install

The all important triple plate clutch to handle what will be triple the torque over stock.

Not the hardest mounts out there, but definitely had less flex than stock when trying to put motor in

HKS coils - waiting for christmas so I can open them and surprise myself at the gift from my wife

Dayton Sub – to be installed IB after it’s running

$20 Aurasound tweeters stuffed into factory pods

Onto the original post

----------------------------------------

I've been waiting for years to try out a couple of turbos I specd for a custom sequential. It's in process right now, but unless I run out of time, or room, it should go as planned.

The car - 02 5 spd. GGP. leather, sunroof, lsd, etc. It may go for a repaint, with TTE bumper and such here before summer

Main mods thus far are DBA Supra rotors/Figs brackets, hotchkis sway bars, springs, etc.

I've worked with a lot of different ECUs, and I'm excited about playing with all of the features on the ProEFI. ProEFI is the only thing that can control the twin setup easily for me. It's kind of baffling all of the technical items they've incorporated on this.

The donor motor, waiting on a few parts for maintenance. The head may come off here for a quick port and test on the flow bench and then back on with ARP studs. Planning more on a torquey street style setup.

More to come....

Last edited by whatthe; 12-13-2014 at 02:39 AM. Reason: Add some clarity to the thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 156 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 03:48 PM
Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

ah wishing I would have gone pro efi instead of aem but I'm excited to see this build
post #3 of 156 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 04:16 PM
Extremist

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Interesting. Any more pics?

03 BO is300 e-shift - powered by a vortech S/C, work vs-xx with falken fk 452, bilstein shocks with eibach pro kit...pshhh yeah right R.I.P 2/11/09
03 BO is300 HKS/ Koni/ Eibach/ Enkei/ Signal Auto/ Brian Crower/ Titan/ TRD NEO/ EDM/ TRD elegant R.I.P 8/1/13 rear ended. :(
05 BO is300 Tein... bought and sold in a month...lol. The game is not the same

MeVersusThem

post #4 of 156 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX99204 View Post
ah wishing I would have gone pro efi instead of aem but I'm excited to see this build
There's always time to switch. Knock control with proper target frequencies, filters, automatically rolls back timing to varying degrees, switches to alternate timing map automatically based on number of scenarios... boost control with load, rpm gear, intergral, proportional, etc..... traction control... Should be the cats meow for maximizing safety and power from daily driver.

As for pics, I have pics on camera and a different computer. I will start loading them up as things come together more.
post #5 of 156 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Garage
Can't wait to see more pics of it
post #6 of 156 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

-10F to -20F lows at night.... Don't feel like walking out to the garage when it's like this. Banking some family time until the weather warms up a little.
post #7 of 156 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 11:00 PM
Extremist

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Garage
I hear ya! I am in WI and its around 10 degrees. Nice looking build, I like the proefi but just dont have the cash for it so i went with the v2 aem.

___Go Fast or F*** It___

Im your local smarta$$
post #8 of 156 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 07:02 AM
Enthusiast

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Looks like a good project, i havent even installed anything yet and i want to go pro efi. good luck with the project
post #9 of 156 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

The price of the proefi actually isn't too bad given the complexity of all the controls it provides. Even though some of the same features are listed on other ECUs, the other ecus generally lack the ability to manipulate the control the way you need to in order to make it at least OEM functional or better then OEM functional. With a lot of the other ecus, this generally results in a great feature for marketing, but in reality, it works as a half assed attempt at doing what OEM did. Plus, I always had small inconsistencies with AEM stuff that appeared car after car when I worked tuning... things that I felt are unacceptable when trying to build an ultra reliable street driven modified car.

If some guys are worried about budget, I'd say pick up the proefi ECU and harness only to get it running... and then add the CAN gauge option, boost control solenoids, and all that down the road as your pocket allows.

Anyway, small update on the project - I took the head off seeing as I can't just leave well enough alone. The head is apart and I'm doing some mild port and chamber work on it, along with valve stem seals, minor work on seats, etc... I may throw it on the flow bench and compare heads if I have the time.

Also prepping for the TTE bumper.

Weather here was back up to 50 F for a week, but of course I couldn't get out to the garage. Now that it's closer to 0F again, I have a little bit of time. Go figure...
post #10 of 156 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Whenever I have time, it's cold. Going to try to take a week off work if it ever gets warm.000

I managed to take some port molds on GE and GTE VVTi ports. There are different philosophies between them, and I would be surprised if they flowed the same as some others say (mind you, differences after the valve make less of a difference to flow). I may throw the heads on my flow bench before putting the engine back together. Without really getting into a lot of details on the heads, see pics below.

GE exhaust port has much larger exit. GE vs GTE exhaust

GE vs GTE exhaust

GE intake port is at a much steeper angle, and uses smaller port to compensate.

GE vs GTE intake (GTE the big round one)

Last edited by whatthe; 03-01-2011 at 07:35 PM.
post #11 of 156 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 07:46 PM
Guru

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

You will like the ProEFI, it handles my brother's IS gte vvti swap very well.
post #12 of 156 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 02:21 PM
Altruist

Im not really sure what your molds are showing? Are these the flow ports into the head from where the studs are? Or are these showing something else? Can you put them next to something for scale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthe View Post
Whenever I have time, it's cold. Going to try to take a week off work if it ever gets warm.000

I managed to take some port molds on GE and GTE VVTi ports. There are different philosophies between them, and I would be surprised if they flowed the same as some others say (mind you, differences after the valve make less of a difference to flow). I may throw the heads on my flow bench before putting the engine back together. Without really getting into a lot of details on the heads, see pics below.

GE exhaust port has much larger exit. GE vs GTE exhaust

GE vs GTE exhaust

GE intake port is at a much steeper angle, and uses smaller port to compensate.

GE vs GTE intake (GTE the big round one)

o2' Black Onyx IS300 - Back to stock :( for now.
post #13 of 156 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS_BoostByPsi View Post
Im not really sure what your molds are showing? Are these the flow ports into the head from where the studs are? Or are these showing something else? Can you put them next to something for scale?

Yes, these are 1:1 scale molds of the inside of the exhaust port and the inside of the intake port on the GTE and GE VVTi heads. They start at the combustion chamber and go to the port entrance or exit (intake or exhaust manifold flange seating area where the studs are). They are the exact path that the air takes to go from the port entrance to combustion chamber (or how it leaves the chamber). The bumps are the valve guides.

It's a flexible silicone material that allows me to create a silicone shell on the inside of the port. After it cures, I separate the mold from the head, and pull them out.

The difference in length, is mostly due to differences in angles and thus the distance it takes to go from the valve in the combustion chamber to the flange surface. I.E. the GE VVTi intake port is at a steeper angle then the GTE and you can see that the GE port is longer. The smaller area in the GE intake port would be to compensate for a potential loss in torque.
post #14 of 156 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 11:34 AM
Altruist

Thanks for the explaination.

So what does this mean for each head? GTE flow better or does the GE?

o2' Black Onyx IS300 - Back to stock :( for now.
post #15 of 156 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 10:51 PM
Lurker

I want proEFI so bad, everything looks good man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Member Rides and Builds > Member Build Threads - Lexus IS only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page