4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Fiend

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)

Parker's newb IS Build

Hey guys, been messing with my car enough to figure I ought to make a build thread.

Pics from the day I got her! I was so excited to finally have my dreamcar!

Bought her with an AEM intake, Axis rims, and TRD coilovers/sways. She was from Cali so she has a bit of rust here and there, but nothing bad. Had 83k on the clock, manual, MSM, LED reverse lights, small stuff. Also had some little quirks like missing some bolts for the grill, but nothing big.

So naturally, first thing I wanted to do was lower it more. Found out just how resilient rust was when I tried to turn the rear coilovers. For those of you who have seen my for sale ad, they got a little hacked up between the shop and myself. But I did get the front lower. luckily its not terribly uneven drop between the front and back, but I do plan to fix that sometime in the near future.

Then after that defeat, I decided to plastidip my wheels. Wasn't a fan of the weird grayish spokes in contast to my MSM and then add a chrome lip on top of that.

Went black, then decided to add a color change purple to teal on top. They looked nice at first, but then I lost a lug nut and my spare set was pink. Every time my wheels went teal, all I could think of was watermelons and christmas lol.

After all that I decided I ought to fix my clutch. The IS from factory has such a vague feeling clutch. The CDD Delete fixed that right up. I was near convinced I was going to be leaving my car there for a few days. I'm just barely getting into modding cars and such, so when I was playing with the clutch, I just figured I was gonna muck it up. Ended up going just fine.

Started looking on Craigslist for wheels, I wasn't much of a fan of 7 spoke wheels. Ended up getting STRs for cheap, but I was looking for a wider wheel, so it worked out. 18x8.5 and 9.5 so I was happy for the moment. Also painted a plastidip stripe on my car (ended up removing yesterday) and painted my door handles after seeing White2003Lexus do it. Made his white car look clean, so I was like, my turn!

Also ended up getting new rear tires. NEVER USE TIREWORKS! My toe was stripped for forever, and even though I kept telling them to check my toe, theyd just give it back and say some dumb crap. These are my 4 month old tires after 6k. I have a little camber, but this is just ridiculous!

Anyways, I'm going to be getting the FIGS Toe links here soon, and probably the front suspension refresh kit to help my front drivers wheel, I think the LCA#2 is bent cuz caster is whack. wheel sits almost an inch towards the cabin of the car more than the other. Still drives straight and feels fine though, so its not on my immediate 'to do' list.

Ended up trading up to some varrstoen es8's (work reps), 18x9.5 +12 all around. Threw 5mm spacers on the rears. It would have a great flush look if it weren't for my rear suspension being stuck an inch too high I inherited a poor fender pull up front, so pulled it a little more and tried to fix it as best as I could. It doesn't look terrible now, but still not ideal. I got no rubbing on 215/35s, but I'm looking into a set of 17x10 5zigen fn01rs with +25. They'd have basically the same fit as i do now, just a slightly bigger wheel so I could have a little more meat while still getting a good stretch. First night with the varrs wheels, took one at night and never took a better one lol

Now in the meantime, I bought the XS power turbo kit and am slowly accumulating all the items on my list to make a safe turbo system that i can monitor and keep in good shape. I'm going to actually run the original turbo, wastegate, and BOV at first to give a review of the parts that actually come with the kit. Most people just toss those items and buy name brand, which I totally get, but for the sake of all the other noobs like me who wonder if it can/how long can you run on that kit as it comes to your door, I will just run it as is. Should be getting the boost running by late summer.

Also, I'm getting ready to do Timing belt as I'm already 4k overdue (yeah, not really a big deal for it to be 4k overdue, but with boost coming up, I don't want an old belt in there lol). Little nervous about trying to do that seeing that I am new to all this stuff and still learning (reading these forums though does WORLDS of good, too bad most new guys just decide not to), but I feel I can tackle it with all the write ups and what not.

Lastly, that brings me to current. Just painted my Tailight housings black. I was very hesitant due to having to cut them open vs. baking them, but it went about as well as I could have hoped. The cutting with the dremmel on the first light was a bit of a hack job, as well as resealing them with silicone (which I know, there are mixed reviews on the quality of silicone, but worst case I redo them). But they turned out pretty dang sweet. Would post pics, but waiting to get headlights from VEHEMENCE and get those installed so I can have matching headlights and tailights with the black before I take pics.

So yeah, thats where I'm at. I'm looking forward to doing more and more to my car, and hopefully helping a lot of the 'new and want to boost' dudes have an easy go to thread so they can find answers. Thanks for all the IS love, more pics coming soon!

04 IS300 MSM LSD Manual
-XS Power Turbo kit -Emanage Ultimate Tune
-SSR Type C 18x9.5/10.5 +20
-TRD Coilovers -TRD Sway Bars -CDD Delete
-Plastidip black Handles, grill, and stripe -
-Black Housing headlights and tailights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 03:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

One hell of a write up haha! Need some pictures of those wheels in the day aswell :D

I think it's good you're going to see how well the turbo kit will run out of the box, but do so with caution and keep everything monitored :D

Car looks good!
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 10:48 AM
Follower

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be.Parker View Post

Had 83k on the clock, manual, MSM,
How much did you get it for?

Quote:
Then after that defeat, I decided to plastidip my wheels. Wasn't a fan of the weird grayish spokes in contast to my MSM and then add a chrome lip on top of that.
Plasti Dip is the best!

Quote:
After all that I decided I ought to fix my clutch. The IS from factory has such a vague feeling clutch. The CDD Delete fixed that right up. I was near convinced I was going to be leaving my car there for a few days. I'm just barely getting into modding cars and such, so when I was playing with the clutch, I just figured I was gonna muck it up. Ended up going just fine.

That's the best mod you could of done for your car, nice!

Quote:
Also painted a plastidip stripe on my car (ended up removing yesterday) and painted my door handles after seeing White2003Lexus do it. Made his white car look clean, so I was like, my turn!
Thanks for the credit man! Here's some + rep for you!

Quote:
Now in the meantime, I bought the XS power turbo kit and am slowly accumulating all the items on my list to make a safe turbo system that i can monitor and keep in good shape. I'm going to actually run the original turbo, wastegate, and BOV at first to give a review of the parts that actually come with the kit. Most people just toss those items and buy name brand, which I totally get, but for the sake of all the other noobs like me who wonder if it can/how long can you run on that kit as it comes to your door, I will just run it as is. Should be getting the boost running by late summer.
I'm excited to see your build progress. I'd like to make a suggestion.. everyones doing pictures for their builds on this site, I'd like to suggest you do a video blog (Vlog) for your build, it's the next step in 2017!

Quote:
Lastly, that brings me to current. Just painted my Tailight housings black. I was very hesitant due to having to cut them open vs. baking them, but it went about as well as I could have hoped. The cutting with the dremmel on the first light was a bit of a hack job, as well as resealing them with silicone (which I know, there are mixed reviews on the quality of silicone, but worst case I redo them). But they turned out pretty dang sweet. Would post pics, but waiting to get headlights from VEHEMENCE and get those installed so I can have matching headlights and tailights with the black before I take pics.
Can't bake the tail lights.. have to hack them... MMSport has it down to a science, but they charge an arm'n'a'leg.. I've got some special side projects underway here and I'll be coming out pretty nice TBD...

Quote:
So yeah, thats where I'm at. I'm looking forward to doing more and more to my car, and hopefully helping a lot of the 'new and want to boost' dudes have an easy go to thread so they can find answers. Thanks for all the IS love, more pics coming soon!
Well an official welcome my friend, great car, great write-up, we love to read this kinda stuff, pix, video all the better!

My only hiccup was the 1 hash stripe on the fender.. but as you mentioned it's since been removed.. lol I used masking tape in 4 strips then with one in the middle, sprayed the Dip then pulled the strips while wet and i was done.

Build Here

Video Here

DIY Oil Filter Relocation Here

Follow Instagram.com/FSprtJK <--Here
Check out TireStickers.Com <--Here

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 03:16 PM
Frequenter

Quoted: 54 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by White2003Lexus View Post
How much did you get it for?

My only hiccup was the 1 hash stripe on the fender.. but as you mentioned it's since been removed.. lol I used masking tape in 4 strips then with one in the middle, sprayed the Dip then pulled the strips while wet and i was done.

What's that aero piece you have on the front?
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 05:35 PM
Follower

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr4FFy View Post
What's that aero piece you have on the front?
It's called a Splitter, ~You can learn all about it here~

Build Here

Video Here

DIY Oil Filter Relocation Here

Follow Instagram.com/FSprtJK <--Here
Check out TireStickers.Com <--Here
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 06:54 PM
Frequenter

Quoted: 54 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by White2003Lexus View Post
It's called a Splitter, ~You can learn all about it here~
Awesome build, thank you!
White2003Lexus likes this.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Fiend

Purchase the car for 10k. Some will say I paid too much, but hey, I paid what it was worth to me, and I don't regret that price one bit!

04 IS300 MSM LSD Manual

Last edited by Be.Parker; 04-24-2016 at 06:05 PM.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Fiend

So these last couple weekends I did some work on the car.

This last weekend, I put on new rims, raised my suspension, changed headlights to black housing, and rolled my rear fenders.

I should have taken pics of the process, but I didn't. I was on a bit of a time crunch so that took second place.

Headlights was pretty easy. Bought some black housing headlights from VEHEMENCE. I tried for to pull the tint off the headlights, but it was in vain. The tint seemed pretty baked on, couldn't get it off with heat and water, nor with some sanding, though it thinned it. Just didn't have the patience to sand it down for a few hours to get through, and I didn't want to risk damaging the lens by using too heavy of grit. So what I ended up doing is polishing my current headlights and refinishing them. I then stuck both sets in the oven and popped them open. Did 275 degrees for about 8 minutes, maybe would of came off a bit easier with a few extra minutes. I kept everything on them except took out the bulbs. WARNING! Anyone doing this, make sure you keep track of the glue to hold the headlights together. I got a little bit of glue on the inside of the tinted headlights, so I'm going to see if I can get that out this next week. swapped housings, and reinstalled. Unfortunately, I didn't realize the inside of my current headlights were either dirty or a little damaged. Another thing I'll probably redo in the next few weeks. The difference though in the look of the lights is huge though, and will be even better when I can really get my headlights entirely clear. I also threw on some eyelids. I was iffy at first about them since the are black and my car is silver, but with everything else black they flow pretty well. Still might see if I can switch to a different shape of eyelids in the future.

So, onto wheels. Just traded my old varrstoen es8s 18x9.5 +12 with 215/35s for these gramlights 57 Optimise 17x9.5 +12 with 235/40. Needless to say, it was quite the steal. So after putting them on, I rubbed... a LOT. Went home and raised the car. about an inch higher. I pulled the front fenders a hair more, and finally got around to pulling the rears. The nice part about having bad paint on the fenders before I mess with them is that I don't need to worry chipping paint because I'm due for a paint job anyways. Not a whole lot of paint chipping, mostly on the inside of the fenders. I used a baseball bat and just went 1/4inch segments between each pull. Turned out better than I thought. Not perfect but its a consistent pull that doesn't look wavy. Made the wheels look pretty flush with the car. Glad with the overall look. I was pretty iffy about a 9 spoke wheel but they looked much nicer on the car. I like the track car look with the multiple spokes. and I'm also really happy to be able to run meatier tires on the car. next tire change I'll probably run 255/35. So all in all, I'm a big fan of the new look. Still got some white plastidip to pull off of the rims from the previous owner, but thats no bid deal. At first I thought it was the finish peeling, but then I found out it was paint on top. Thank goodness lol. Loving the new look. Very aggressive, very nice! Enjoy the new pics!

Hope you enjoy it! I may not really have any mods coming up in the near future, but I will probably have a write up coming for the DIY Timing belt for dummies (lots of pics, LOTS) and radiator at the same time. Got a leak but its real slow so its not terribly urgent. Also doing the belt on my wifes car (2013 Yaris). Also wanting to change the front grill to one of the clean ones with no badge and a finer mesh. Maybe a TRD logo in the bottom right corner

04 IS300 MSM LSD Manual
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Fiend

Forgot to mention, I have 7mm spacers in the rear as well.

04 IS300 MSM LSD Manual

Last edited by Be.Parker; 04-25-2016 at 09:46 AM.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Fiend

Just a quick update of whats going on:

Bought wrx 440cc injectors as well as the emanage ultimate with PnP harness from Lexusboy718. I also bought FIGS toelinks to FINALLY get my rear alignment in spec. Might be able to dial in the little extra camber I need to get my wheels sitting a little more flush. Both should be here Friday.

Figured it is also worth mentioning that when I bought the XS power Turbo kit for my car, it came in pieces, which wasn't the most pleasant, but i understand that for the price, quirks should be expected. Intercooler piping and lines came pretty quick (1 week) and about 3-4 weeks in I got my Turbo, Manifold, some other things. After a couple months, still no Intercooler and air filter. Emailed them, they got on it. Sent me an air filter. When I let them know I got the air filter and am still awaiting the intercooler, the guy I guess didn't read thoroughly because he didn't know I needed one still. He got on it though and within a few days it was at my door. So an overall review of Customer service is pretty good. Even though there may be some quirks, they are quick to right the wrong, so I highly recommend these guys for that service. In a month or 2 or 3, I should be able to let you know how the kit is and runs.

04 IS300 MSM LSD Manual
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Fiend

So small update:

Still waiting to save up enough to finish my build. Hopefully by end of summer.

I got my hands on some work vs xx wheels 17x9/10 a week ago. the 'rears' are freshly rebuilt with a 3 inch lip, nice and clean. The 'fronts' are in ok condition, bad paint job on the faces and the lips are rashed a bit and need a good polish. Now heres my dilemma...the 'fronts' weren't quite the offset that I was led to believe (not the sellers fault, its hard to tell because he bought the 'fronts' used himself) and so they don't fit on the front without a spacer, and I'm not sure how much is needed. My current spacers didn't cut it so i have the 9's on the rear and the 10s up front. I'm trying to decide if I want to buy some 5 inch lips that a guy is selling for 300 shipped and put those on the rears leave them back there. I think what is holding me up is (1) spending 300 on the lips. Its a great price for them being in practically new condition. it would be much cheaper to just buy spacers and throw those up front and put the 10s in the rear. (2) needing fender flares. There isn't much out there in terms of flairs for the IS, but I think if I got some universal ones with the right measurements and a little flex I could put those on and make the wheels look flush, but I am worried about quality. though to be fair clinched has some for a bmw that I think might be close enough to the specs for our wheel wells that theyd fit, and I trust clinched.

The reasons I'd like to do it are (1) Wow factor. They would look amazing with those lips and having both lips near new. I could bring these wheels back to their glory with no rash and nice clean polished lips. (2) I've always liked having a wide back wheel. And a lot of lip. (3) If I ever decided I needed to sell the wheels for either other wheels or to get some emergency money, the 10/12 combo would be worth much more than the 9/10, plus the lips on the 9 would be rashed as they are now.

Anyways, kinda where I'm sitting right now. I estimate that spacers would put me back about 100 vs 300 for the lips, plus the money to get flares ~150. Though, depending on how much camber I can get in the rear, I may be able to get away with minimal mexiflush for a few weeks until I pull in the cash for the fender flares.

Thoughts/opinions? I'll post up some current pics later. Oh, and a powder coat is in order. Rocking 2 white faces and 2 black faces. Whites are clean af, blacks look like shit lol.

04 IS300 MSM LSD Manual
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Fiend

It Begins....

Wednesday is my planned date to start digging into my engine bay and getting everything all disconnected, taken out, and start putting in the turbo. I'm super excited, but also hoping to have a few people on hand to contact if I have any questions. The build should take me about 3 weeks between vacation, anniversary, and having to work on it after work hours. Hopefully I can get it done faster, but if not no big deal. I mainly just need to get the car running well before my wife returns to work (she is a second grade teacher), and seeing as that is mid august, I think I can get it in by then.

I may try to find a local around here to help me at certain points if I need it, but I also am glad to know I can ask several of y'all for help if I need. I just ask that over the next couple weeks that yall keep an eye on this thread as I will probably have some questions lol.

Hopefully by the time I finish this, I can make a detailed write up on how to install the XS Power turbo kit and give a review of how it works/holds up. And also have a 300hp IS hahaha
Doesitcomeinblack_ likes this.

04 IS300 MSM LSD Manual
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 10:15 AM
Frequenter

Quoted: 38 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
It Begins....

Wednesday is my planned date to start digging into my engine bay and getting everything all disconnected, taken out, and start putting in the turbo. I'm super excited, but also hoping to have a few people on hand to contact if I have any questions. The build should take me about 3 weeks between vacation, anniversary, and having to work on it after work hours. Hopefully I can get it done faster, but if not no big deal. I mainly just need to get the car running well before my wife returns to work (she is a second grade teacher), and seeing as that is mid august, I think I can get it in by then.

I may try to find a local around here to help me at certain points if I need it, but I also am glad to know I can ask several of y'all for help if I need. I just ask that over the next couple weeks that yall keep an eye on this thread as I will probably have some questions lol.

Hopefully by the time I finish this, I can make a detailed write up on how to install the XS Power turbo kit and give a review of how it works/holds up. And also have a 300hp IS hahaha

cant wait man looking forward to the start of your build
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 09:02 PM
Fiend

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)

Following your build man. Sounds like its going to be awesome!
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Fiend

Small little update:

Sold my work wheels to help fund my build, plus I didn't have the time or money to make em all pretty and nice. So I ended up getting Lowenhart Br5's 19x8.5/9.5 +31s. At first I was skeptical about putting 19s on my car, but after mocking them up at the shop, I'm pretty stoked. The rears need smaller tires for sure! (255/40) so I think I'm gonna go 275/30 or 245/35. May just match the front with the 225/35s, but I'd like some more meat on the rears if I can since I'm boosting (almost).

Which brings me to my engine. I've been going to the shop regularly and checking on/out the car and helping with things since this is the dudes first boosted IS project. He is very good at what he does, he just does it mostly on cheaper imports, namely hondas or acuras. Anyways, found out the kit isn't quite as bolt up as I had thought. We had to drill out the hole in my manifold for it to sit on the lugs. Which was a pain because it's not cheap easy metal haha. Also, intercooler piping doesn't seem to fit quite right, we tried maneuvering some pieces and it just seems like 2 segments are shorter than the ought to be. Another thing we ran into is the intercooler didn't have brackets to work on the car. We had to fab some up. Anyways, everything else is going good, hopefully by the end of the week the car should be rolling again. More pics to come.

Lastly, thought I'd throw in a pic of my wife and her new suv we bought. I wasn't a fan of her Yaris, plus with all the camping and traveling we do we needed something bigger. I'd like to say I sold her on the Lexus, but it sold itself haha. 90k miles, 2003 gx470. Things a beast and super comfy. Its nice to not be driving a yaris while my cars in the shop, and its nice to have all the space in the back for whatever.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

04 IS300 MSM LSD Manual
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Member Rides and Builds > Member Build Threads - Lexus IS only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page