Lexus IS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

My engine build progress pics from PFS..

15K views 163 replies 36 participants last post by  JayMarino 
#1 ·
Just a few pics of my new block with the .020" over CP pistons and the B & P'd bottom end.

And for those who have always wanted to know where those damn elusive GTE oil squiters go...

See less See more
Reactions: IS300STeeZ
#2 ·
well this time you wont have bearing issues! i was surprised you had the issue in the begining- with all the weatlth of knowledge on these cars a engine assembly should have been done right the first time! why the Cp and not OEM TT?

#5 ·
TOYOBOOST said:
well this time you wont have bearing issues! i was surprised you had the issue in the begining- with all the weatlth of knowledge on these cars a engine assembly should have been done right the first time! why the Cp and not OEM TT?

probably used .20 over cp's because the cylinders had to be honed..

#6 ·
TOYOBOOST said:
Well I had the oem TT internals prior. The number 6 cylinder with the f'ed bearing scored the cylinder wall to the point where it could not be honed any further adn remain within spec.

I was then presented with the conundrum (sp) of: do I get a new block or do I have the bottom end bored .020" over and at the same time have the block machined for the oil squirters, and balanced and blueprinted.

I choose to go for the later. So now I have forged pistons, oil quirters and a very nicely prepared bottom end. :)

#7 ·
LexISpooled said:
probably used .20 over cp's because the cylinders had to be honed..
and because they look pretty

arggg..ownt by the slow post ;)

Reactions: IS_BoostByPsi
#9 ·
wow man they look freakin good.

#10 ·
It should get intresting soon.I'm curious to see if egts benefit from the squirters

#11 ·
damn dude.. now i'm gona have to do a quick search on wth happened!!

Lookin' good though - and CP is a great choice, although anoying to know you had to bore it out a lil - but i'm sure you'll like it all in the end ;)

Reactions: Myis300t
#12 ·
you should have done a new block. I personally am not a fan of making already thin cylinder walls and sleeves even more thin. I have seen with my OWN eyes rebuilt motors with aftermarket pistons fail. ALL failures have been from the owner of that car going to aftermarket pistons and overboring the cylinder wall due to previous block damage. I have never seen it happen with an aftermarket piston and the standard 86.0mm bore.

By making those walls thinner you are allowing heat from the other cylinder to be closer and cooled less effectively. I am really hungry right now so that probably made no sense, but I will get into a bit later.

#13 ·
Malekreza11 said:
you should have done a new block. I personally am not a fan of making already thin cylinder walls and sleeves even more thin. I have seen with my OWN eyes rebuilt motors with aftermarket pistons fail. ALL failures have been from the owner of that car going to aftermarket pistons and overboring the cylinder wall due to previous block damage. I have never seen it happen with an aftermarket piston and the standard 86.0mm bore.

The block was prepped by Quicksilver RacEngine's, they use torque plates (note plural), and they didn't seem to hesitate on .020" overbore. I think their knowledge and experience far exceeds the collective whole on this forum in reguards to cylinder boring, engine prep.

What were the failures? What exactly failed? Pictures??? I'm dying to see.

#14 ·
D-cell said:
The block was prepped by Quicksilver RacEngine's, they use torque plates (note plural), and they didn't seem to hesitate on .020" overbore. I think their knowledge and experience far exceeds the collective whole on this forum in reguards to cylinder boring, engine prep.

What were the failures? What exactly failed? Pictures??? I'm dying to see.

no pics sorry. Lets just see how long this motor lasts.

#17 ·
Malekreza11 said:
no pics sorry. Lets just see how long this motor lasts.

Im hoping for 20k miles before another build...its all about progress and power and seeing what lasts. then again im sure this combination has been done several times over. Nothing new.

from what I have read and been told .020" over really isnt pushing it for this block. A few local supra guys have gone .040" over without a wince. Im just happy I have a block that has been prepped by an experianced machine shop. So Im gonna have to let their experiance guide me. Quicksilver been around the block a few times.

As a side note: update pic from today:
Now for some progress - the pics above were from tuesday.. when they started re-assemble of the short block. Today, thursday here is where it's at:

Two days work!!! Damn!!
Along with the short block I had them drop in a pair of customized HKS264's and titan cam gears.
I already had all the nicey nice head hardware from supertech.. you know the basic assortment of titanium springs and retainers..blah blah blah...

#18 ·
Yea too bad CP don't make standard bore pistons for the 2jz. I know JE does

#19 ·
wow, they sure work fast. when i was there, your engine was still out and your car was up on the lift.

looks nice.

#20 ·
tsopranoMB said:
great choice on the CP pistons...very smart purchase...

looks good....hope to see it perform soon
PFS recommended I go with the CP. I went with their recommendation.

#22 ·
-SuperleX-iS- said:
Nice. Your engine is now a desktop background.

lol.. I bet i beat you too it ;)

thnx

#23 ·
goldaltezza808 said:
Yea too bad CP don't make standard bore pistons for the 2jz. I know JE does

so does Arias

if any one interested i have a VERY low mileage set available...:)

progress has been fast it looks damn good already!

good luck bro!

#25 ·
ForcefedIS said:
Plugging the oil squirters is common when doing extreme HP drag engines on the GTE blocks. Their are pro's and con's in having them plugged, depends on the application.
yep...I remember reading about how Vinny Ten and Craig Paisely once say on Supraforums that they did NOT use the oil squirters on their race engines...

damn, no expense was spaired with the engine build here, not even in house at PFS, u guys went to Quicksilver who does TEAM LEXUS's engines....thats $$$$ right there....damn... :approve:

#26 ·
tsopranoMB said:
yep...I remember reading about how Vinny Ten and Craig Paisely once say on Supraforums that they did NOT use the oil squirters on their race engines...

damn, no expense was spaired with the engine build here, not even in house at PFS, u guys went to Quicksilver who does TEAM LEXUS's engines....thats $$$$ right there....damn... :approve:

QS does our machine work. We do the assembly and fitting in house:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.