LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 1113 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Guru

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_is View Post
Thanks man. If you have some free time would you mind unscrewing the bottom mount from a front and rear and measuring the four pieces for me? It would only take a couple minutes
I'd really appreciate it though. I'd like to compare so I know how much shorter they are and if I'd need shorter springs.
I'll see what I can do, I was figuring to play around with the first anyway, I'll see if I can get some pics and measurements. I have no doubt that these coilovers are gonna be amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsi View Post
this is the info i was hoping not to hear haha. so are you currently lower than in your pics on your first post just because the struts are blown? did you have to do all of that right from the beginning or was it over time as your shocks went out and you were sagging more?
I believe the shocks were blown since day 1, which is why I rushed into the springs (thinking the suspension just sucked on the IS300). But I keep reading how nice the stock suspension is, and I keep seeing stock IS300s that are higher than mine on stock suspension. And when I put on the springs, I did find that some of the shocks didn't have any rebound to them.

The wheel gap hasn't changed... so in the pics, you can see before and after the springs. The only reason I needed to do fender mods was because of the wheel stance/fitment. So, I did all the fender mods at once when I installed the wheel spacers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1113 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 12:39 PM
Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

ah i see. yeah, must have been blown since day one then =( i actually love how comfortable it is and how it handles stock, the only thing i don't like is the height. i am a bit reluctant to cut up my fender liners and bumper mounts though

really appreciate your help! +rep for you!
post #63 of 1113 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Guru

lol, thanks, but you don't have any rep to give haha

but yeah, this car is especially frightening on the highway... going over the uneven bridge transitions is very wobbly. Bouncing all over the place! lol.

Cutting the fender liners was easy with some tin snips. You can hear it when rocks get up in there, could be annoying I suppose. I'm not exactly sure what to do about the bumper tabs, so they are still on. I'll find out when I install the coilovers, I'll slam it as much as possible and see what it hits lol.

post #64 of 1113 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 04:01 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiasSing View Post
lol, thanks, but you don't have any rep to give haha
crap, should have read the reputation earlier lol. well, it's the thought that counts right? you deserve from rep hehe

it's not that it's hard or anything. i had to cut up the liner and bumper tabs on my miata to get it low so I know what it's about. it's just that my IS is still virgin and in excellent condition, i dont know that i want to molest it like that haha.
post #65 of 1113 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 07:58 PM
Deity

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

So how did the coilover install go?
post #66 of 1113 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Guru

well I managed to get the sway bars, coilovers, and rigid bars installed today. The coilovers are so easy to put in, compared to springs/shocks and everything. Worlds easier.

I'm gonna work on it more tomorrow. So far, I have not made any adjustments to the coilovers, I installed them as is. The dampening is set at about 24 (almost full hard) and the height is as you see it in the box pic (posted again below).

The height of the car is almost identical to what I had on the springs and blown shocks (pics earlier). And as you can see from the box pic, these have a lot more lowering left. Again, I'm gonna work on it tomorrow and see how low I can get it LOL.

I went for a test drive, and there are some noises, especially under breaking, but I'll figure that out. But the ride is actually BETTER on the 14/12s and hard dampening than the springs and blown shocks. I was HIGHLY impressed. I've also got the upgraded sway bars, so I'm not sure how much difference each part makes, but the result is way worth it. The car feels controllable and stable for the first time.

Quote:
Thanks man. If you have some free time would you mind unscrewing the bottom mount from a front and rear and measuring the four pieces for me? It would only take a couple minutes

I'd really appreciate it though. I bought BC's almost 2 years ago (if I remember right lol) and had no idea about the shorter shock bodies. I would have gone with that option in a heart beat. And like I said, you should love them. I have had ZERO issues with mine since day one. No noises, no worn bushings, and they still look great even after a little bit of winter use.

Only thing I want is to go lower I'd like to compare so I know how much shorter they are and if I'd need shorter springs.
Hey WhiteIS.... So I got those measurements you wanted (I hope lol). Does this pic work for you?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0185b.jpg
Views:	3665
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	32160  
post #67 of 1113 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 01:15 PM
Lurker

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Nice looking IS! I'm glad I went through this forum else I woudn't have known about the throttle thing!
post #68 of 1113 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 02:16 PM
Deity

Hope you fix the noise issues man! Post up some pictures soon
post #69 of 1113 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 10:31 PM
Extremist

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Thanks for the picture man! Although, I was more interested in the length of the shock bodies (from the top mount to the bottom of the threaded body that goes into the shock mount). It's all good though! I probably should have been more specific

You said you got new sway bars, and you are getting noises. Are the noises coming from the front? Did you get new end links? Did you grease the sway bar bushings?

If it's a clunking (not constant) then it could very likely be the end links. I had no issues with mine until I regreased my bushings. If you aren't sure if it's the end links, take the two brackets/bushings that hold the sway bar off and go for a short drive. That's how I determined my front end links were clunking. I let it hang (still attached to the end links) then drove through my neighborhood and there was no clunking. Put the brackets and bushings back on, went for a drive, and it sounded like I was making pop corn

I recommend greasing the bushings if you didn't, I think I used a Mobil 1 grease the was red? There was a thread about it I can find if you need it. Most grease will work though.

And you can check the ball joints on the end links. I think one on each of mine had a ripped boot that grease was coming out. If they still seem good I think the next option is making sure they are tight enough. I remember people saying they would clunk if they weren't torqued right.
post #70 of 1113 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Guru

Quote:
Thanks for the picture man! Although, I was more interested in the length of the shock bodies (from the top mount to the bottom of the threaded body that goes into the shock mount). It's all good though! I probably should have been more specific
Hmm, I guess when you said "unscrew the 4 pieces and measure them) I guess you meant what was left after removing the bottom pieces. I didn't think it made sense to measure the bottom pieces LOL. But I really didn't want to screw them up by taking everything apart yesterday. I messed with it more today, so I maybe could have gotten a better measurement, but I'll just post pics instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark300 View Post
Nice looking IS! I'm glad I went through this forum else I woudn't have known about the throttle thing!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerm__ View Post
Hope you fix the noise issues man! Post up some pictures soon
Quote:
You said you got new sway bars, and you are getting noises. Are the noises coming from the front? Did you get new end links? Did you grease the sway bar bushings?

I recommend greasing the bushings if you didn't, I think I used a Mobil 1 grease the was red? There was a thread about it I can find if you need it. Most grease will work though.

And you can check the ball joints on the end links. I think one on each of mine had a ripped boot that grease was coming out. If they still seem good I think the next option is making sure they are tight enough. I remember people saying they would clunk if they weren't torqued right.
An update on the noise. I did not replace the end links, mine were OK it seems (like I can get the nuts off.. if those dang nuts come off, the links MUST still be good lol, hate that design).

And I did put lots of grease lube in the bushings before installing, just some universal stuff that looked perfect for the application. When all bolted down, the sway bars are really hard to spin, but they don't make noise.

Well today, I started by checking over my work. I found the problem immediately. I had not tightened the upper bolts on the passenger front coilover, so they were loose and allowed the coilover so shift around when driving. After all the work I did today (specifically, tightening the bolts properly), I now have no more noises. The sway bars are fine.

-----------------------------------------

Now onto today's update and some pics. I was hoping to get a lot more done, but that'll wait for tomorrow. I spent the entire day going over all of my work (pretty much redoing it all) to make sure it was done well and then adjusting the coilover height multiple times.

I did get a pic of the front yesterday, before I lowered it.

For for giggles (and FYI), I decided to slam it to the max lowering possible. Keep in mind that I'm using the 14/12 spring rates, so the springs have almost no sag to them at all. With "saggier" springs, the car would sit even lower.

I also used this opportunity to eliminate all rubbing. I pretty much had to cut most of the fender liners out, and render the rear bumper tabs useless. Lots of rolling and pulling to tuck the wheels. But no more rubbing! (well except when the front wheels are turned).

There's about 1" ground clearance at maximum low.... the jacks don't even go that low, so I have it up on 2x4s.

With all the rubbing issues settled, I spent a lot of hours raising the car up to a driveable height. The result is slightly lower in the rear than with the springs, and noticeably lower in the front than before. Finally, the rear doesn't look sagging anymore. Unfortunately, the front still rubs when turning sharply. But I like this setup, so I'll leave it for now.

Just some more quick pics. I hope to wash it tomorrow and get some better pics.

Like I said before, the noises are eliminated. I really can't believe how nice this thing rides now. I really thought it was gonna break my back, but it is quite comfortable, on the 14/12 springs at almost full stiff and with 19" wheels. Part of the reason it is more comfortable is BECAUSE it's so stiff, when going over bumps before, the springs + blown shocks bounced all over the place and had lots of travel. Now, the car rides over the bumps with almost no give at all. You can't even get the car to move if you push down on the corner or jump in the trunk LOL.

Time to have some fun driving finally....
post #71 of 1113 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 11:44 PM
Follower

Damn Christopher... that looks good. How much clearance do you have now?

'02 IBP MT with a few things.
post #72 of 1113 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 01:02 AM

i might have missed it but what does the throttle spacer do and what did you use to space it??

love the car btw

PG+K
FiveAxis Design
post #73 of 1113 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 01:23 AM

love the progress with this car, and seeing the pics with the 2x4 i was wondering how would u get the car down if u left it at that stance, nice time to invest in a low-profile jack if your ever going to slam it that is

- barri
post #74 of 1113 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA l tezza View Post
Damn Christopher... that looks good. How much clearance do you have now?
LOL... just barely enough! I had to gun it a little to get into the driveway at work Thanks :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omg!S3 View Post
i might have missed it but what does the throttle spacer do and what did you use to space it??

love the car btw
Thanks, the throttle cable has a spring on it, so that the cable isn't actually pulled by the cable until the spring is compressed. I used 10mm of an old vacuum hose from my old car.

Here's a good thread to get you more fully informed!
IS300 Throttle Cable Spacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmk3 View Post
love the progress with this car, and seeing the pics with the 2x4 i was wondering how would u get the car down if u left it at that stance, nice time to invest in a low-profile jack if your ever going to slam it that is

- barri
Well, the stock jack is pretty low profile... but even at the final height I set the car to, I can't fit that jack under the skirts, so I go in through the wheel wells. The only thing I could think of was to build ramps out of the 2x4s (or something more sturdy) and drive it down. But even then, there's no way I could have gotten very far like that LOL. The front wheels wouldn't be able to turn.
post #75 of 1113 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 06:20 PM
Deity

I like Nice work man, car is sick!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Member Rides and Builds > Member Build Threads - Lexus IS only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page