LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Garage
My 01 Solar Yellow IS300

I have been lurking on the site on and off for about 2 years but never joined until recently cause I finally picked up an IS. I have been into Honda's for awhile. I owned a 99 Civic SI that was supercharged and currently own a 92 SI hatch. Put alot of time and money into it so I have a hard time letting her go. I currently have a motor to build and a little turbo kit to put on it but I can't decide if I am going to do that or not. Here is a few pictures of the car.

So enough about the little Honda cause this is not a Honda forum. So on to the IS. I picked up the car in October with just under 129,000 miles and I ordered a couple things before I even got the car cause it was things I wanted to change anyway. I picked up the JDM dash trim for the radio cause nothing fits as well as OEM parts and installed an old ddin in dash I had laying around.

This was the first wash.

A few interior shots.

Overall condition of the interior is good with just a few small things like the scratch on the glove box seen the picture of the radio and a scratch on the gauge cluster shroud.

Found a complete armrest kit on ebay and installed it.

I have more pictures but did not want to over load this post too much. I have a few more things that I have done that I will post up another time.

This will be more maintenance thread for the time being before the "build" portion begins. I like to keep a record/ timeline of the car and the forums are a good place to do it and share the passion with fellow enthusiasts. Feel free to leave comments and feed back as I am still learning the ins and outs of the car. So far this car seems to be a great platform to start with.

This car will go through a few phases so that I am not jumping around with different things. These are in no particular order but will be completed before I start a different phase of the build. I will start with the maintenance, which is most important, so that the car is reliable since I am daily driving the car.

Phase 1 - Maintenance
Brakes - Complete
Tune up - Complete
Oil Change - Complete

Phase 2 - Cosmetics
Bumpers - Purchased
Side Skirts - Purchased
Wheels - Purchased
Coilovers

Phase 3 - Performance
Manual conversion
GTE swap
BRZ/FRS rear differential
LS400 Brake Upgrade

Phase 4 - Sound System

01 Solar Yellow IS300

Last edited by siboosted; 07-30-2016 at 09:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 11:33 PM
Lurker

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Finally another auto is300.

Like it!
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 07:31 AM
Loyalist

Quoted: 30 Post(s)

Welcome, fellow SY IS3

'03 IS3: http://my.is/forums/f87/juicij36s-la...3/#post7846401
suspension:TeinSS/JICMagictower/CuscoAarm/CuscoTypeOS/Hotchkisanti/FIGStoe/FIGStraction/SRTsubframe/TRDlowerarm; engine/exhaust:BrianCrower264/HKSslidecam/SRTHFIw/AAFC/UnorthodoxRacingUltraSS/Dezodredhead/HKSCarbonTi; wheels/tires:WORKVS-XX/BridgestonePotenza; brakes:Rotora355X32; body:LSportline/TRD; lighting:AAC/Xetronic

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 04:52 PM
Aficionado

Quoted: 37 Post(s)

Garage
nice ride. i miss my 2001 sometimes lol. welcome to the forum!

2002 MSM Sportcross
TEIN//Gita//Blitz//Pioneer//FIGS//Work

instagram - ellis300
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Garage
I'm actually not even mad that it's an auto. I normally only purchase manual cars but so far I'm not upset about the auto. Maybe down the road I convert to manual or possibly pick up another one that is a manual.

01 Solar Yellow IS300

Last edited by siboosted; 02-18-2016 at 06:54 PM.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Garage
Thanks guys. This forum seems a bit more friendly than the Honda forums so far.

01 Solar Yellow IS300
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Garage
So to continue this thread to get it update with the car. I picked the car up in Nashville, TN and drove the car back 4 hours without any issues but doing some driving around town a few days once I got back I started having some brake issues with metal on metal scrubbing. The rear brake pads were gone. The pad had started a groove in thee rear rotor.

So as a temporary fix I ordered front and rear rotors and pads from rockauto for now. I will get some better pads and rotors down the road. I figured for now these would do.

Next up after the first time I filled the gas tank up after I get back I get a CEL light for p0440 evap code. So I cleared the code and a few days later it comes back on. So the first thing I check is the fuel cap since it's the easiest and cheapest option to fix. I find that the gasket is split.

So I order a new gas cap.

Install the new oem gas cap and clear the code. Well the code stayed off for a few days but came back on and I haven't got around to check anything else out. So I will be ordering a new vacuum valve and hose that goes back near the charcoal canister and go from there since I have read that this is the valve that normally fails and being a 15 year old car it won't hurt to change it out anyway. If anyone else has any suggestions feel free to post.

I am not a fan of the stock Lexus grille so at the same time I purchased the dash trim the seller on eBay also happened to have a matching Altezza mesh grille so I picked it up as well. I think it looks much better.

I need to wet sand and reclear the headlights and fog lights since they are pretty bad but now that the weather has gotten cold I will have to wait until it warms back up.

There was a lip kit on the car before and that's why the paint on the bumper is messed up. I have a friend in Amsterdam that has picked me up a few parts and just waiting to get them. Next things on the list will be a thorough interior cleaning and a tune up.

01 Solar Yellow IS300
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 10:02 PM
Follower

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)

that code could be from the pcv valve and that rectangular box next to it. I forget the name, but I had to change those things plus the hoses.

auto is cool, might get on your nerves eventually lol, I hate the ecu on this car, floor it and you go slower. Otherwise, great car.

2001 auto eshift, Mileage 107891, Joe Z intake, Enkei RS7 wheels 17x7 ET42 Silver w/Polished Lip, 215/45/17 Michelin pilot sport A/S3 tires, Tein S tech springs, Bilstein HD shocks, Figs front LCA #2 poly bushing, New OEM front ball joints, Figs Rear toe links, Eibach Rear sway bar, Figs Rear sway bar end links, Carbon fiber Rear strut bar, Figs Rear sport mega arms, Figs Rear knuckle bearings
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 08:38 AM
Aficionado

Quoted: 37 Post(s)

Garage
the mesh grill looks good.

and as far as buying a manual, it's getting exceedingly hard to find one that wasn't beaten on. all of the manuals are either salvage, smashed to bits, or just otherwise ruined. You'd be better off buying a wrecked 5-speed off of an insurance auction and doing a conversion if you REALLY want to row the gears yourself

2002 MSM Sportcross
TEIN//Gita//Blitz//Pioneer//FIGS//Work

instagram - ellis300
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Garage
When I do the tune up I will check into that as well.
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Garage
I think it looks much better. Yeah I was looking for a manual but could never find one that was in good enough shape or they were across the country so I settled for the auto. I do plan on going turbo down the road but I may pick up a spare trans to have built as I do not plan to go crazy with the horsepower numbers.
post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Garage
No major update but the car has developed a misfire so I ordered some new plugs and wires for it. I was gonna replace the coil packs as well but at $120 a piece that will have to wait for the time being and maybe this will clear up the misfire.

I do have a few packages that I am waiting on so I will update at a later time.

01 Solar Yellow IS300
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Garage
Finally got the chance to install the plugs and wires on the car on Sunday. It was not to bad of a job but it definitely was more to it then the Honda. After driving the car for 2 days the misfire seems to be gone so far.

Mileage: 132,100
Plugs: Denso SK16R-P11 OEM P/N: 90919-01219
Wires: NGK P/N 6404

A few pictures I took during the process.

I do have a question for some of you seasoned guys, what is the easiest way to loosen the nut on the throttle cable closet to the throttle body. I could not get that thing to budge and there is some slack in the throttle cable I would like to get rid of.

Old Plugs NGK

Also got a package in the mail on Monday from Japan.

OEM side skirts.

Thats all the updates for now hopefully have some more soon.

01 Solar Yellow IS300

Last edited by siboosted; 02-23-2016 at 06:48 PM.
post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 11:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Very nice. I like that this is more maintenance/fixer thread before getting into any performance. Car definitely looks to be in good hands. I like the eg hatch as well. To this day, I still want a clean kswapped, Milano green eg hatch lol.
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Lurker

Garage
Yeah I don't see the point of doing performance mods before doing maintenance on the car if there is an issue. If the car doesn't run smoothly stock adding performance mods is not going to make that problem go away. I prefer to have the car running properly before adding or changing any parts for performance. I will be doing performance mods but after the car is running properly and I have the cosmetics done to my liking. The hatch is just a b-series swap, k-series are great motors just to costly to do it correctly. For the price of doing a proper k swap you can do a GTE swap and have an 800hp IS300.

01 Solar Yellow IS300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Member Rides and Builds > Member Build Threads - Lexus IS only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page