7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

IS300 budget ls1 swap

I Finally killed my transmission transmission with 260,000 miles and was going to go get one out of a junkyard to replace it but then i decited to not waste my money on an automatic transmission when i've been wanting to switch it to a manual and after pricing a r154 swap i decited im tired of the rediculous prices of parts for our cars. so i bought a 6.0l vortec ls1 with a almost brand new 4l80e from a friend for less than it would have cost me to put a r154 into my car.
im trading the 4l80e for a t56

my car when i first got it

one of the reasons my trans took a dump

i have buddyclub coilovers on the way, hotchkiss sway bars waiting on me to install them, and a megasquirt standalone to tune the ls1 since someone hacked up my harness. After i finish the oil pan ill start on making some motor mounts
luckily for me i have a foam mock up block
ive been using the factory mount to get a general idea where its going to sit and figure out how im going to build my oil pan

i needed a good way to lift the ls up, just used some scraps from other projects

not my prettiest welds but they'll do, i should have cleaned the steel

got the trans and oil pan off, the motors actually in pretty good shape i needed the oil pan gasket for a template to build the flange for my oil pan

it took awhile to mill out because i didn't have the right tooling
after some fitting it fits snugly on the engine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Great work man!
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 07:11 PM
Lurker

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Did you tried test fitting the 4l80e transmission before you've trade it?

04 Mercedes-benz CLK320
02 Crystal White Lexus is300

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloomybear View Post
Did you tried test fitting the 4l80e transmission before you've trade it?
i still have the 4l80e if your curious about fitment i could hold it up there with a transmission jack and take some pictures for you , i have no clue if it will fit i think the tunnel would have to be widened at least 2 inches
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 10:39 AM
Aficionado

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

alot more modification needed to run a 4l80e....someone has done it... My pursuit of a 950+ rwhp monster (ALIVE AND BREATHING FIRE)

2001 Lexus IS300 Diamond White Pearl w/Custom Paintjob w/ Black interior/RMM Full Lip Kit/LTuned Rear Lip/TSI Built Manual Valve Body TH400/Precision 6266 billet... etc....

Too much to list!!!

Build Thread HERE:http://my.is/forums/f219/is300freak2...-enjoy-442292/
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Got my oil pan finished this monster holds 9 quarts ,I had a friend tig weld it since i haven't done much aluminum welding.
I fabbed a bracket to run the lexus power steering pump so i dont have to adapt any lines, the pressure is right , and the gm one that came with my motor was mangled. the washers are temporary im ordering some alluminum spacers that ill weld to the back of the mount
I also finished assembleing my megasquirt standalone ,the thing was only $400 with a 12" harness included, it took me 6 hours to soldier together though.
Tomorrow im going to mount my alternator ,and start on motor mounts and the trans mount since my bushings got here today.

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

I drilled and taped the block for my alternator mount , i need to get our lathe wired up , it hasen't been used for a couple years because our last shop didn't have 3 phase power.

It took a day but i finished my motor mounts

Im waiting for my driveshaft to get here so i can build my transmission mount so i can get the best angles on my u joints
, i also started going through the remaining engine bay wiring for the headlights airbags and abs and extending that part of the harness to tuck it in the fender wells. Do i need any of the wires that went to the ecu? Im planning on running water temp and oil pressure / voltage readout in a dash pod so i should be able to remove all of the wiring that went to the stock computer right? just need a double check that it doesn't control anything else before i the the dash out and start snipping wires.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

so my driveshaft should be here Wednesday , i wire tucked the passenger side but haven't decided what i want to do with the relay box on the passenger side so im leaving it as is for now. i also removed the stock ecu wiring.

im waiting on some convoluted tubing and clamps to cover all of the wiring back up again

cut up the original oil pickup tube and made one to work with my front sump pan , its not completed though i want to ad a brace to make sure the vibrations wont let it do anything funky
[URL=http://s1276.photobucket.com/user/jaminm6/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-04/8BA37C2D-2DCF-4587-92FB-78CB7F36357F_zpsn64ywvu5.jpg.html][IMG]http:
i found a ls6 cam in a mountain of my dads parts and he said i can use it but moneys tight and it wont work unless i dish out another 100 dollars for used ls6 valve springs and money is going to be tight getting this build finished so it will have to wait

oem clutch pedal parts are really expensive so im building my own setup to work with a chevrolet style clutch master cylinder

also the t56 i have is a lt1 version not a ls1 version which don't work together ,although they will bolt together the lt1 bellhousing is 1'' longer than the ls1 version and the is a .400 difference between the flywheel would be. the bolt patterns are changed on the ls vs the 1st gen sbc too and the input shafts are different lengths.
luckily gm used the same flexplate just with the different bolt pattern in it so they built a press in spacer to adapt the 4l80 with the ls motors so to make the lt1 t56 work on my ls i have to buy a ls t-56 flywheel ,put the spacer they used on the 4l80 on it ,possibly redrill the clutch mounting holes(unsure if they will bolt together yet) ,and make a press in bushing to extend the throw out bearing to the shorter input shaft i ordered a flywheel it should be here tomorrow and i already have the crank spacer so well see how that goes tomorrow... anything to keep the cost down!
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Lurker

custom clutch pedal assembily i took the plate off of the dead pedal so that it matches. these first couple pictures are blurry because my phone camera was all scratched up..

installed the ls6 cam and valvesprings

header time!

my unfinished shifter knob

had to make a new power steering bracket because i switched to the ls3 crank pulley and water pump

my car was a automatic and i needed a shifter boot

had to change the front plate and bellhousing to get my transmission to work with the ls
i just set the body pannels on
slow4dr likes this.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Got a killer deal on this thing $300 with a harness shipped!

For first set of headers I've ever built id say they are pretty good , it was just a steel weld up kit so i didn't bother paying someone else to tig weld them that 18 gauge is hard to get a pretty bead on with a 350 amp mig welder though.

The abs may have some heat problems right there

I got my PurePower Reusible billet remote mounted oil filter in and the front Hotchkiss sway bar. I got lucky that the sway bar clears my oil pan because when I designed the pan it wasn't in the car and totally forgot about it.
fast fuel rails on a stock intake make me feel stupid but the truck ones looked like crap and my dad had a set so.....
im still using the 6.0l truck fuel injectors though and they are a half inch shorter than the car ones this intake and fuel rails are designed for so i had to make custom mounting clamps to hold them down ,pics tomorrow.

In case anybody was wondering what radiator hoses from autozone will work on your ls swapped is300 here's the part numbers

I got them more than half off with my commercial account
I couldnt find a regular hose for the bottom but this flexible line fits pretty dang good.
The upper just needs to be trimmed to length.

When some jacka** sells you an intake manifold on ebay and doesn't tell you its missing a vacuum fitting that you cant buy ,you get on the laithe turn up a block off plate and epoxy that sucker in!

My clutch pedal came out better than i could have ever hoped for ! It sits level ,uses the full throw of the Willwood master cylinder which is the same displacement of my slave cylinder ,looks like the other pedals and only cost me about $80 cash and a day.

I still need to clean up the stainless, my insulation mess ,and vacuum all of the metal shavings up.

My favorite pic of the car before.

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 11:23 PM
Frequenter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)

looking good, subbed

.:: 04 IS300 Sport Design II ::.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

I didn't use stock style mounts like everyone else because they can fail like this one...

This little guy needed a nap...

I had to make a different power steering pump mount plate. I switched over to the car water pump and crank pulley ,so there wasn't enough room in front of the cylinder head for the pump. If anybody is doing a ls swap with the longer crank pulley and water pump dm me , you can have my first one

custom fuel rail holders because im using shorter 6.0l truck injectors

thought about this before i started the build , id doesn't fit too bad if i didn't have a billet throttle body it might look stock

And the Wiring BEGINS!!!

The msd 6100 is pretty sweet , it has a Programmable two-step rev limiter, vacuum advance curve and step retard all you have to do is wire in a switch for the rev limiter and step retard , but the vacuum advance requires a MAF sensor.

saw this massive blower yesterday , I put a penny on the carburetor for scale , that thing would look good sticking through my hood!

c1L likes this.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 01:04 PM
Lurker

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

That Lexus engine cover is going to be very cool.

2004 IS300 ggp - 2JZGTE VVTi, Marlin Crawler R154, AEM V1, GT35, Suprastore manifold, Tial MVR, PTE 880's, SMIM, Dual Walbros, 4" FMIC, 3" downpipe/midpipe, 3.5" axle back with Black Widow Muffler, Action 6 puck Clutch, BBS LM reps, Megan coil-overs, L-Tuned body kit, 3.72's & Torsen diff
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 01:16 PM
Addict

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)

Garage
Awesome build! A lot of work done since the last time I stopped by

Mike
'02 AR IS300; M98 L-Tuned
TOKICO HP/TANABE NF210

ENKEI KOJIN 18X8.5+35/9.5+30
---------------------------------
DIY: Nav+Aftermarket HU
DIY: Timing Belt

My Thread
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 05:36 PM
Aficionado

Quoted: 224 Post(s)

Just turn that Lexus logo so it's facing the front, and no one will ever know
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wow.jpg
Views:	1063
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	79433  

Luke 6:41-42.
-------------------
Proud to represent JCE10MW. You won't find a better group of car guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Member Rides and Builds > Member Build Threads - Lexus IS only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page