User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

So I was in Hawaii for a bit over a week on vacation and then Christmas happened, but work is underway again. Engine is basically assembled now, save for a hose. Should hopefully be able to send the ECU for programming in the next week I hope!

New brakes and a new windshield also going to happen in the next few days as well.

As far as the ECU goes, I'm just going to get it reprogrammed to run without the automatic portion.

Jeff

2011 Lexus IS350 6MT F-Sport with LSD
1986 Toyota Corolla GT-S Supercharged with TRD Stuff
1993 Toyota Previa 5MT Studded Ice Race Van

Last edited by Jeff Lange; 12-30-2015 at 12:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Well a couple major milestones have been passed today. After filling all of the fluids and bleeding the clutch it fired up first try! I even managed to drive it inside the shop a bit! It's slowly coming together! After driving the car a bit I think I will need to adjust the clutch pedal a bit as well.

See it in action in this super lame video!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8Q6eu67nTI
I'm getting so excited to be able to properly drive it and feel what the car should have felt like from the factory.

Jeff

post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

So I figured now that the car has actually driven with a 3.5L engine, I can legit change the nameplate on the back.

Behold!

More to come.

Jeff
isthisme likes this.

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 08:48 AM
Fokai 1008

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Garage
Awesome.

ISR220 Build
http://my.is/forums/f219/isr220-neo-...2011-a-391109/
Sponsors-ShowStoppersUSA, Pit Crew motorsports, FineLine Tuning, Swift Springs USA, and FOKAI
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 08:56 AM
Frequenter

Quoted: 48 Post(s)

lookin good man!

2004 IS300 Eshift
BRZ 4.1 LSD - 18x8.5 Evo X Enkei's - Koni
- Tein - Stoptech - EBC - Tanabe
Thread: http://my.is/forums/f219/tvl3rds-2004-is300-565586/
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Lurker

Finally got the stopping parts of this swap in yesterday, I had really wanted to go with the GS350/RC350 2-piece 14-inch brakes, but I didn't want to be forced to run 18-inch wheels in the winter (plus needing 2 new sets of wheels, 2 new sets of tires, a new spare wheel and tire, etc.), and so I stuck with the 4-piston aluminum monoblock caliper 13-inch brakes from the IS350/GS350 that will clear 17-inch wheels. They're more than enough for what I do with the car, if it ever becomes a track car that may change, who knows. I'm using the stock F-Sport/high-friction Textar T4146 brake pads, they dust a lot, but the initial bite they provide combined with the low noise is a fantastic combination.

Just need the shims to come in from California to get these installed.

Also got the new windshield installed as well so I can finally get the cowl and wiper linkage put back in place.

Jeff

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 12:35 PM
Follower

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)

Great work and write up. Time to change your sig now!
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Thanks, and good point, haha!

Jeff

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Lurker

Things keep progressing. Getting things figured out and the new brakes are now on the car. Hopefully can drive it properly soon!

Jeff
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 08:05 AM
Follower

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Can you shed a little more light on the ECU reprogramming? One of the reasons why I didn't go through with this was because of the CEL due to solenoids.

Thanks
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

I've spent the last month or so dealing with various electrical issues, some to deal with differences between the ECU and the car and so on. It was a bit more specific than I was expecting in some cases, but as of last night I finally figured everything out and hope to get the car completely functional in the next couple of weeks, just waiting for a few parts to arrive from Japan and the USA. Also need to send another ECU for reprogramming as the first one didn't work properly with the rest of the car.

That said, during my testing and troubleshooting I managed to put approximately 1,000km on the car. It's even more fun than I thought it would be. I've driven a few cars with the 2GR-FSE including the IS, GS and RC and mine is by far the most fun. Love the manual transmission and the extra rev-ability that the 2GR has over the 4GR almost (almost) makes you forget it's got a dual mass flywheel.

It's really fun to drive, really. Though I drove for the first couple of weeks without ABS, VSC or TRAC and then a few weeks without some other stuff including cruise, but it's all coming together now.

RIP: My tires.

Sorry it's so dirty!

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Lange; 03-19-2016 at 12:05 AM.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Lurker

Finally got the last of the parts (aside from the ECU) today. Will need to add the wiring for these new sensors and I swapped out one of the MPX ECU's in the dash earlier this week. Not sure the best way to get the new wires into the engine ECU box, but probably de-looming the body harness. Not sure yet. :\

In some ways it is nice that the engine ECU is in the engine bay. It's accessible and so on, however you always need to be careful not to disturb the seal around the box so moisture can get in (the connectors inside are all non-waterproof type).

All that's left is wiring in these sensors, a single relay and then tidying everything up and installing the ECU once I get it!

This project ended up taking me a couple of months longer than I expected, which I guess in the world of cars is actually to be expected, so I shouldn't complain, haha. Some electronics in the car are more flexible while others seem to be very strict about what they want. Sometimes it's not always possible to know which way things will go.

Jeff

post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 07:39 PM
Follower

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Keep up the good work!! I'd love to do this one day. What company does the ECU programming?
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Lurker

So the computer showed up last week and I got that installed, added a relay, and assembled a junction connector.

After a couple of hours of test driving the night I installed the ECU, I headed out for the weekend on a 2,500km (1,550 mile) trip through the mountains to properly test everything and give the car a good shakedown. Beyond a couple of minor issues (the IS350 traction control is much more sensitive to tire size variations than the IS250, and I'm not running stock tires), I declare the swap completed. I might make a couple of enhancements to a few things over the next few months, but nothing too major. I'm happy with the feel of the clutch and flywheel, but I may look into a custom flywheel at some point if I have any issues with the dual mass springs holding up to the increased torque.

Now I can finally present the world's first (to my knowledge), LHD IS350 6MT:

fin.

Jeff

post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Did the first oil change on the new engine this week and finally got the new tires on the car, they're Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R in 245/40R17 front and 245/45R17 rear. I would have preferred to keep the square tire setup, but the differences between the IS250 and IS350 VDIM parameters just weren't working for me. Thankfully it doesn't look too bad and the driveability is definitely much improved. Traction control does seem to come on a bit quicker than the IS250 (even when taking into account the higher power) but it seems to be a bit less intrusive than the IS250.

The only unfortunate thing about having the taller rear tires is the effective gearing difference. I was considering going to a shorter final drive before, but now that I have the taller rear tires I think it's pretty much certain that I will. It's not bad, but it is noticeable.

I also took a video of the car starting up inside:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpEeVr1PLq4

Jeff

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Member Rides and Builds > Member Build Threads - Lexus IS only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page