LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 106 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Aficionado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

Garage
ellis300's 02 SportX -1JZ VVT-i time!

This is a progression and log of my 2002 sportcross. ive only owned it for a year this August, so for now ill keep it simple with the years progress, rather than having a Table of Contents

Current Mods List

Go Fast
-PLP Intake tube
-HKS Drager (JDM JCE10 version, designed to clear the rear lip)

Suspension
-Tein Comfort Sport Coilovers (Gen 1 Gold)
-FIGS No.2 Bushings

ICE
-Pioneer AVH-P4400BH
-04/05 flip tray

Exterior
-JDM front bumper with Elegant Sport front lip
-JDM "Elegance/Euro" side skirts
-JDM rear bumper with "Elegance/Euro" lip
-JDM Dark Metallic taillights
-JDM Dark chrome "Altezza Gita" badge
-JDM Kouki Dark/Satin fog lights (2004/5 model fogs)
-JDM painted headlights
-Elixir Japan roof spoiler
-shorty antenna

Lighting
-LED City lights
-LED Dome/Map lights

Coming soon/In the works
-Work VS-KF (currently awaiting tires)
-1jz vvti swap

I have owned a sedan prior to owning my Sportcross, so im not exactly new to the IS300 scene. I had my sedan for almost 4 years, had a lot of good experiences, a lot of bad, and a lot in between. In short, i LOVED that car. I just had the 90k service done after parting out my coilover, mazzuri header and intake setup. The only mod i had left in that car was a Pioneer double din.

One day while surfing Craigslist, i came across something i had always wanted:

The Sportcross. I took a ride out to the outskirts of NYC, and took it for a test drive. It seemed alright, definitely something was wrong with it. i couldnt put my finger on it though, ran the CarFax and found out it had a previous frame/airbag deployment 1 year after it was in the US from Japan :/ still, it seemed that everything was fixed appropriately. Had a Greddy Evo2 catback and sedan springs in the rear to "lower" it a bit from the 4X4 suspension oooooooookay..... Anyways, the night after i saw it, the owner messaged me this:

Some moron hit and ran it in the middle of the night! In all honestly, the previous owner SHOULD have parked it in his driveway, but whatever. We deliberated for a day, he wouldnt drop the price down to what i wanted, so i was prepared to walk away. However, he then dropped it to what i wanted, and i had a week to sell my sedan and buy the wagon. I had a tough time letting go of my sedan, but a week later:

i bought it i was a little nervous, going from something i had lived with for so long and then plunging into something unknown. I had a little money left over from my sedan so i did the sparkplugs immediately. did a Joe-z intake, AFE filet, and a brand new 04/05 tray box. i had to leave my radio in the sedan so i HATED the stock radio, and bought a GROM unit for the time being.

found an MSM fender on eBay for 120, my two buddies and i tackled it in under an hour. Viola.

sold the evo2, wasnt liking it. Also sold the Joe-z, tray box and GROM due to lack of work hours. Sad.
For my birthday, my parents split the cost of new tires with me and my girlfriend got me a GGP SRT intake *thumbs up*

i then decided one day to purchase the JDM information brochure on the Gita, and that came with the OEM options list for the gita. The lip kit for JDM markets caught my attention, so i looked around for importers. luckily, i found one. i made the order near my birthday, and i was in for a long wait (due to international shipping, etc). throughout much of december and january, nothing really fantastic happened aside from my radiator cracking....and my T-stat staying closed....all good stuff. it was hell for those two months.

halfway through january though, this turned up:

then this happened:

and shazam!

i got my lip and bumper! i also got the rear lip/bumper as well....but ill touch on that later -_-.

anway, after that i was set for a while. diddnt do much, just maintenance. My importer helped me pick my suspension setup: Tein CS Gold coilovers.

i was pretty happy with how things were going. however, one day i took my car to lexus for an oil change. diddnt have time to do it myself and i was waaaaay overdue lol. the oil change went well BUT.....my steering rack was shot, leaking PS fluid into one of the boots and my No.2 LCAs were shot. total to fix: $2500. i almost had it at this point. sold my SRT intake, rear bumper with lip, and the 04/05 tray. i was livid, but i bought all the necessary parts to fix the issues.

i also got some new lower ball joints, tie rod ends, and LCA no 1s as well, since most of the front suspension will be taken out for this job anyway. to this day im still looking for a drivers side LCA no 2 with bushing! then fixing time!

while that dampened the mood, i imported "gita" side skirts before the suspension fusillade. on the day they showed up,i realized they were actually Modellista skirts instead whatever! test fitted them to see how they look:

i also got my hands on another rear bumper, already in silver:
(thats exactly what coming from Japan)

and i also scored this jewel:

the uber rare and not so common Euro/Optional bumper for the Gita

so, thats it for now folks! besides what i have now my plans for whats next are:
-Elixir Spoiler
-Some type of wheels
-Make brackets for the Euro bumper fogs

stay tuned!

2002 MSM Sportcross
TEIN//Gita//Blitz//Pioneer//FIGS//Work

instagram - ellis300

Last edited by ellis300; 10-05-2015 at 06:53 PM. Reason: mod list changed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 106 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Aficionado

Garage
Reserved 1!

2002 MSM Sportcross

instagram - ellis300
post #3 of 106 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Aficionado

Garage
Reserved 2!

2002 MSM Sportcross

instagram - ellis300

post #4 of 106 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 06:20 AM
Loyalist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)

Sweet!

-'03 MSM IS 300 5-Speed w/LSD - #REKT. Parted out
-'05 TCM Scion xB
-'08 Mazdaspeed3 Sport - Zoom-zoom.
post #5 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Aficionado

Garage
well, i havent done much in the way of mods for almost a month, but finally i had some money to play around with this week. Bought some Gita rain visors, and a TRD Sports grill that needs to be restored. Thanks DB8! In addition to that, i had a buddy of mine do a pretty good rattle can job on my skirts, figured what the hell and got em painted quickly. The results:

im pretty satisfied! used some 3M automotive stuff and some duplicolor adhesion promoter....seems to work well!

I also threw the TRD sports grill on for an afternoon activity....just to see what itll look like.

took it off though. gonna epoxy and sand her down this week.

my Teins will be in this week as well! cant wait! cheers my.isers and have a great week!

2002 MSM Sportcross

instagram - ellis300
post #6 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Aficionado

Garage
Update!

Well i hope everyone had a good weekend, i know i did lol

i was talking to my friend and he convinced me to let him just do the TRD Sports grill now while he has some free time. i gave that to him earlier last week and here are the results!

Before:

After:

Ive always wanted this grill! im very happy with how my buddy fixed it

More good stuff...my Teins came in! woo!

i love getting stuff from Japan! now im just saving to get them installed

anyways thats all for now, i may not have much in the way of updates for a while since the next container from Japan is arriving at the end of the first week of may, then shipping to my house....sigh lol

hopefully i can get the coilovers installed soon enough!

Cheers!

2002 MSM Sportcross

instagram - ellis300
post #7 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 03:32 PM
Frequenter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

looks good let me know when your ready for the coilovers to go in

SXE10 Crew NY
2002 GGP 5 Speed 2JZ-GTE VVTI
AEM V2 Dezod PNP|Precision 6765|Tial 38mmWG|HKS SSQV V3|750HP Mishimoto FMIC|SRT 3"Exhaust|CXRacing downpipe
Forgestar F14|ISC Coilovers|VIS Carbon Hood|VIS GReddy Rep Front Lip|VIS Vertex Rep Side Skirts|VIS TRD Rep Rear
follow my build on instagram
IG: Andylex
My 2JZ-GTE VVTi build thread
post #8 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Aficionado

Garage
Thanks Andy! yeah man will do...wheel gap needs to go ASAP

2002 MSM Sportcross

instagram - ellis300
post #9 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Aficionado

Garage
Small update 5/2/14

so not much has been going on..Euro front bumper has been delayed 2 weeks due to a strike or something so that sucks....my importer sent me a pic of a silver Gita in Japan with the bumper so i can see what itll look like and i love it!

Looks good, would look a lot better with fog lights!

I also managed to scoop up a 2JZ-GE Gita cluster for dirt cheap...this is a pretty rare item since a vast majority of the Gitas in Japan came with 1G-FEs...and the 2JZ also has an 4WD option so finding a 2JZ A650e cluster is a pretty good find. Thats on its way and itll be here next week! Found a pic of what it looks like on a Japanese auction website:

so anyways thats it for now, im certainly glad its starting to get warmer out because my coilovers are due to go on sometime next week!!

Cheers!

2002 MSM Sportcross

instagram - ellis300
post #10 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 09:44 AM
Loyalist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)

sweet bumper!

Is the Gita cluster different from the sedan cluster? Looks like a USDM cluster but with Altezza instead.

-'03 MSM IS 300 5-Speed w/LSD - #REKT. Parted out
-'05 TCM Scion xB
-'08 Mazdaspeed3 Sport - Zoom-zoom.
post #11 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 10:56 AM
SXX

Nice build so far. Dig the side skirts and that sweet euro type bumper, which is very close in appearance to the also rare Modelista bumper. PM me your importer.. The Elixer Spoiler is my vote for your next mod.
Looking forward to following your build.

2002 SportCross
post #12 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Aficionado

Garage
Thanks for the compliments guys!

Razoe- yeah pretty much identical except the speedo is in kph and the mpg gauge is in liters per something lol

Sxx I'm trying to get that elixir spoiler it's very hard to come by

2002 MSM Sportcross

instagram - ellis300
post #13 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 12:41 PM
Frequenter

im going to text you now about lowering your car

SXE10 Crew NY
2002 GGP 5 Speed 2JZ-GTE VVTI
AEM V2 Dezod PNP|Precision 6765|Tial 38mmWG|HKS SSQV V3|750HP Mishimoto FMIC|SRT 3"Exhaust|CXRacing downpipe
Forgestar F14|ISC Coilovers|VIS Carbon Hood|VIS GReddy Rep Front Lip|VIS Vertex Rep Side Skirts|VIS TRD Rep Rear
follow my build on instagram
IG: Andylex
My 2JZ-GTE VVTi build thread
post #14 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Aficionado

Garage
Mini Update 5/7/14

This isnt a big update, not much going on until the weekend. This sunday i should have the coils on. should.

anyways, my JDM cluster has arrived! Easiest thing ive ever installed.

the two side-by-side...only difference i can really see that isnt obvious (KPH) is the shroud around the gauges is a little brighter in color..

all snapped in! so easy. just two plugs and it was done!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6X00TgStyY

^ quick startup, everything functions as normal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daHc82IN7-w

^ i thought this was cool, reverse beeping noise. JDM Tyte-ness

anyways thats all for now, i was offered a brand new Elixir front bumper and Gita side skirts as well as ANOTHER euro-type front bumper but im so backed up right now i had to politely decline! Cheers!

2002 MSM Sportcross

instagram - ellis300
post #15 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Aficionado

Garage
Update!

LOWERED! Finally!

I talked to my girlfriends friends boyfriend and he said he would be more than happy to assist in helping me chuck the teins in. I told him i would take him and his girlfriend out to dinner one night. sounds good to me!

Friday i stripped the rear seat/trunk....wasnt too hard, a lot less complicated than it seems.

Almost stripped....

done. you can see the top of the struts by the speakers

Friday and Saturday rolled around....i passed out early saturday night and woke up at 4am and went on a mini photoshoot with my buddy who just installed some color change halos on a Challenger SE

Some epic dawn shots!

Took a nap then i went to my colleagues house...got all 4 in in roughly 4 hours!

and......I LOVE EM! they ride so nice! even on full stiff its like stock but a tad firmer. while that may not be what people are looking for these days they are perfect for my uses!

They came adjusted nicely from the previous owner...just tightened the collars and we were done!

So much nicer lowered! Rear bumper and Euro bumper are now in the USA....im toying with the idea of selling my Altezza Cluster or perhaps not getting the Euro bumper....i feel like i bit off a bit more than i can chew. but we shall see!

Cheers!

2002 MSM Sportcross

instagram - ellis300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Member Rides and Builds > Member Build Threads - Lexus IS only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page