Another IS300T thread. *v161/BW S366 pg.9* - Page 2 - my.IS - Lexus IS Forum
Welcome to the newly redesigned my.IS website - Your source for IS200, IS250, IS300, IS350 and IS-F Information.

b

Register | Home | Forums | News | Photos | Content | FAQ | Advertise | Store

Go Back   my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > Member Rides and Builds > Member Build Threads - Lexus IS only
Register Home Forum Photos Active Topics / Realtime Garage iTrader User's Guide Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

My.is is the premier Lexus IS Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2011, 09:27 AM   #16 (permalink)
Fiend

lexusis3double0 is an elite community memberlexusis3double0 is an elite community memberlexusis3double0 is an elite community memberlexusis3double0 is an elite community memberlexusis3double0 is an elite community memberlexusis3double0 is an elite community memberlexusis3double0 is an elite community memberlexusis3double0 is an elite community memberlexusis3double0 is an elite community memberlexusis3double0 is an elite community memberlexusis3double0 is an elite community member
Well I never did any homework in highschool so might as well start sometime right. I'll even be goin for the extra credit with this build.
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2011, 10:15 AM   #17 (permalink)
Deity

Jerm__ is an elite community memberJerm__ is an elite community memberJerm__ is an elite community memberJerm__ is an elite community memberJerm__ is an elite community memberJerm__ is an elite community memberJerm__ is an elite community memberJerm__ is an elite community memberJerm__ is an elite community memberJerm__ is an elite community memberJerm__ is an elite community member
your lucky your dad has a machine shop. Should save you some coin. Keep us updated man!

Whats the wheel size/offset/tires?
Jerm__ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 11-08-2011, 02:57 AM   #18 (permalink)
Fiend

lexusis3double0 is an elite community memberlexusis3double0 is an elite community memberlexusis3double0 is an elite community memberlexusis3double0 is an elite community memberlexusis3double0 is an elite community memberlexusis3double0 is an elite community memberlexusis3double0 is an elite community memberlexusis3double0 is an elite community memberlexusis3double0 is an elite community memberlexusis3double0 is an elite community memberlexusis3double0 is an elite community member
well I got the motor today. and thats about it. was my daughters birthday so as soon as it came in I unwrapped coverd the inlets and put it in corner and left all in all looks in pretty good shape.
from the quick look I got to take everything was just cut. wires, hoses, even the exhaust dp was just plasma cut off. they took zero extra time to remove this engine. both motor mounts are missing from the rubber piece down, looks like they just cut everything and hooked up the motor and just lifted till the mounts tore off. but other than that everythings there and in good looking shape.
getting it out of the truck.

MY NEW TWINS!!!!

intake side

EDIT:scratched this last part, motor is 100% 98+ vvti. misread something somewhere

Last edited by lexusis3double0; 11-08-2011 at 08:42 AM. Reason: def a 98+ thanks all
lexusis3double0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 11-08-2011, 04:21 AM   #19 (permalink)
Enthusiast

fiveohfour is an elite community memberfiveohfour is an elite community memberfiveohfour is an elite community memberfiveohfour is an elite community memberfiveohfour is an elite community memberfiveohfour is an elite community memberfiveohfour is an elite community memberfiveohfour is an elite community memberfiveohfour is an elite community memberfiveohfour is an elite community memberfiveohfour is an elite community member
That is not a 94+ motor, that's a 98+ - they didn't have VVTI GTE's before 98. valve cover shows that its vvti. You'll be fine.

I would HIGHLY recommend going single off the bat. The twins are going to get boring quick, and when you want to remove them - HA! Good luck. They are hard enough while on a motor stand.

Also, take off the head and check the internals. I made the mistake of only compression testing it - and now I'm in deep for a rebuild.

If you need any advice or information that you can't immediatley find in the Go Faster or DIYs - shoot me a PM or email mike[dot]autooptics[at]gmail[dot]com
fiveohfour is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 11-08-2011, 05:56 AM   #20 (permalink)
Lurker

wiggyx is an elite community memberwiggyx is an elite community memberwiggyx is an elite community memberwiggyx is an elite community memberwiggyx is an elite community memberwiggyx is an elite community memberwiggyx is an elite community memberwiggyx is an elite community memberwiggyx is an elite community memberwiggyx is an elite community memberwiggyx is an elite community member
Sounds like you're going a route very similar to what I'm planning

Japanese motors that I've seen always come like that (harnesses, hoses, etc simply chopped). It saves TONS of time at the scrap yard, and time = $$$

Lookin forward to updates!
2004 Black Neon SRT-4 (totaled)
2001 Black Onyx IS300
wiggyx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 11-08-2011, 07:02 AM   #21 (permalink)
Enthusiast

DsouthMia07 is an elite community memberDsouthMia07 is an elite community memberDsouthMia07 is an elite community memberDsouthMia07 is an elite community memberDsouthMia07 is an elite community memberDsouthMia07 is an elite community memberDsouthMia07 is an elite community memberDsouthMia07 is an elite community memberDsouthMia07 is an elite community memberDsouthMia07 is an elite community memberDsouthMia07 is an elite community member
Very nice bro! I am excited for you. I am just building my GE motor but maybe a few years later Ill sell my set up and go GTE.
DsouthMia07 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 11-08-2011, 08:10 AM   #22 (permalink)
Guru

Bezik777 is an elite community memberBezik777 is an elite community memberBezik777 is an elite community memberBezik777 is an elite community memberBezik777 is an elite community memberBezik777 is an elite community memberBezik777 is an elite community memberBezik777 is an elite community memberBezik777 is an elite community memberBezik777 is an elite community memberBezik777 is an elite community member
Hope everything checks out with the engine (it is 98+), do to that uncertainty is the main reason I'm just building my GE block with GTE internals just as good if not better then GTE , GE head flows better also ...

-Boosted-
-JCE10 Midwest-
___Go Fast or F*** It___
Bezik777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 11-08-2011, 08:39 AM   #23 (permalink)
Fiend

ok I def misread something somewhere. My head was spinning when I saw that and I was reading up after. so I have reeducated myself and all vvti motors are 98+, turbos are only ceramic in non vvti pre 98. thanks. made myself look stupid, for all followers... get used to it. lol.... I swear I know what im doing about 80%. The rest Ill have a staring contest with the motor till I figure it out. and the rest of the rest, i have you guys for.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:47 AM   #24 (permalink)
Fiend

+rep to those that helped out (except 504 gadda spread the love).
in about an hour im going to go inspect the head and if I have time the turbo&intake side.
but first I have to get off the tranny and get it on a stand.
wish me luck

first set of parts I ordered will be here sometime next week!!!
Old 11-08-2011, 09:41 AM   #25 (permalink)
Enthusiast

fiveohfour is an elite community memberfiveohfour is an elite community memberfiveohfour is an elite community memberfiveohfour is an elite community memberfiveohfour is an elite community memberfiveohfour is an elite community memberfiveohfour is an elite community memberfiveohfour is an elite community memberfiveohfour is an elite community memberfiveohfour is an elite community memberfiveohfour is an elite community member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexusis3double0 View Post
ok I def misread something somewhere. My head was spinning when I saw that and I was reading up after. so I have reeducated myself and all vvti motors are 98+, turbos are only ceramic in non vvti pre 98. thanks. made myself look stupid, for all followers... get used to it. lol.... I swear I know what im doing about 80%. The rest Ill have a staring contest with the motor till I figure it out. and the rest of the rest, i have you guys for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexusis3double0 View Post
+rep to those that helped out (except 504 gadda spread the love).
in about an hour im going to go inspect the head and if I have time the turbo&intake side.
but first I have to get off the tranny and get it on a stand.
wish me luck

first set of parts I ordered will be here sometime next week!!!

Hey no worries, there's a lot going on with these swaps - its easy to get buried in the information. Lord knows I had several posts in the Go Faster as I was doing the swap... little things like vacuum ports, or "whats this?" or "whats that?". No problem man - this swap is still not very common in regards to Supra NA swaps.... so we're still treading new ground everyday with these things.

Oh, and no worries - I do need to spread the rep around. I'm just here for the moral support, I can do without digital rep if needed

As for the front main seals (cam and crank) it will be the same part number as the GE. GTE=GE front seals.
fiveohfour is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 11-08-2011, 10:24 AM   #26 (permalink)
Deity

Jerm__ is an elite community memberJerm__ is an elite community memberJerm__ is an elite community memberJerm__ is an elite community memberJerm__ is an elite community memberJerm__ is an elite community memberJerm__ is an elite community memberJerm__ is an elite community memberJerm__ is an elite community memberJerm__ is an elite community memberJerm__ is an elite community member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezik777 View Post
Hope everything checks out with the engine (it is 98+), do to that uncertainty is the main reason I'm just building my GE block with GTE internals just as good if not better then GTE , GE head flows better also ...
isn't this a common misconception. wasn't it proved with charts that the GTE is a slightly better flowing head?
Jerm__ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 11-08-2011, 10:43 AM   #27 (permalink)
Altruist

2006 ToyDrive Participant
IS_BoostByPsi is an elite community memberIS_BoostByPsi is an elite community memberIS_BoostByPsi is an elite community memberIS_BoostByPsi is an elite community memberIS_BoostByPsi is an elite community memberIS_BoostByPsi is an elite community memberIS_BoostByPsi is an elite community memberIS_BoostByPsi is an elite community memberIS_BoostByPsi is an elite community memberIS_BoostByPsi is an elite community memberIS_BoostByPsi is an elite community member
Sweet! Looks like mine! Dont worry what everyone says, the twins are fun! I spanked the shit out of faster cars with the twins because I had 0 lag time for spool up. Just keep em around 17psi and youll be fine.

LMK if you want to sell your old GE motor. PM Me!
Old 11-08-2011, 10:44 AM   #28 (permalink)
Altruist

2006 ToyDrive Participant
IS_BoostByPsi is an elite community memberIS_BoostByPsi is an elite community memberIS_BoostByPsi is an elite community memberIS_BoostByPsi is an elite community memberIS_BoostByPsi is an elite community memberIS_BoostByPsi is an elite community memberIS_BoostByPsi is an elite community memberIS_BoostByPsi is an elite community memberIS_BoostByPsi is an elite community memberIS_BoostByPsi is an elite community memberIS_BoostByPsi is an elite community member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerm__ View Post
isn't this a common misconception. wasn't it proved with charts that the GTE is a slightly better flowing head?
They both flow well. But for boosting purposes the GTE VVTi head has been shown to be beneficial to be kept with the gte block.

Both ge head and gte head on a gte block make great power.

Its all about volumetric efficiency, and both heads are usable.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:38 AM   #29 (permalink)
Lurker

mynameisgoose is an elite community membermynameisgoose is an elite community membermynameisgoose is an elite community membermynameisgoose is an elite community membermynameisgoose is an elite community membermynameisgoose is an elite community membermynameisgoose is an elite community membermynameisgoose is an elite community membermynameisgoose is an elite community membermynameisgoose is an elite community membermynameisgoose is an elite community member
That looks beautiful. Happy Birthday to your daughter also. Hopefully you can get this in soon! Excited to see how this build goes, especially with the custom pod. I'm trying to get ideas on how to make one myself when the time comes.
mynameisgoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 11-08-2011, 11:47 AM   #30 (permalink)
Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS_BoostByPsi View Post
Sweet! Looks like mine! Dont worry what everyone says, the twins are fun! I spanked the shit out of faster cars with the twins because I had 0 lag time for spool up. Just keep em around 17psi and youll be fine.

LMK if you want to sell your old GE motor. PM Me!
I'm keeping them for three reasons. And they are
1. I paid for and own them(even tho I only need a manifold for a single conversion because I have kit for the ge. But I wanna sell that... I think)
2. Stock 5speed ( less lag and I know it goes agains all holey things to say this but to keep power DOWN. Lol)
3. TWIN TURBO. Nuf said. Lol.

And about the GE. It's not even old. It's only got 75k on it. I wanna keep it as a spare but I allready have soooo many parts in my old mans garage I think hell kill me if I add a motor to the pile. If he makes me get rid of it it's all yours. I'll know by the time the swaps up and running for sure. I'll pm you when I know.
Advertisement

my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > Member Rides and Builds > Member Build Threads - Lexus IS only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the my.IS - Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)