Nankang NS20 225/40/18 not installed yet
Rolled fenders, soon to be pulled

ICE:

Pioneer double din w/ rear view camera
Focal fronts and rear
Kicker 4 channel
2 MTX 10'' subs
Clifford alarm w/ remote start

New to the forum but not to the IS scene. I had an 01 MSM a while back.

Anyway, I picked this one up August of 2015 and haven't done much to until recently when I tore cartilage in my knee. I've just been surfing the internet and piecing together parts slowly. I'll start whoring some pics today with what my wife and I have done and plan to do to her.

First pic is when I first picked the her up. That's me opening the hood,"abj" are my initials.

Today I'm prepping the front bumper cover for a respray while we wait for our 3rd lip (Greddy rep) since owning it to show up in the mail. While the bumper is off the car, we will be replacing the fog light bulbs as one has burnt out. My wife will also be restoring the fog light lenses. Will post before vs. after when complete.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5235.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	2.88 MB
ID:	107634   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6776.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	107642   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6777.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	107650   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6778.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	107658  

Name:	IMG_6779.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	107666  

Last edited by abj; 03-22-2017 at 09:39 PM. Reason: grammar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 09:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Since we joined and started our threads at exactly the same time, I guess it's only appropriate that we give each other an audience
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
abj

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR_Nik View Post
Since we joined and started our threads at exactly the same time, I guess it's only appropriate that we give each other an audience
Right on!

So far, i've removed and painted my front bumper. Came out way better than it was but not as good as I had hoped. The fog light lenses have been somewhat restored. May do some more work on them in the am. Received my new lip in the mail this morning. I got as far as degreasing it and scuffing it up before adhesion promoter. I know pics rule so I'll get them up in the am.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
abj

Lip is mocked up and holes drilled. Since pic, adhesion promoter has been applied... almost ready for primer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6798.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	107737  
khrisz likes this.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 09:24 AM
Frequenter

Quoted: 43 Post(s)

Looks good so far. Are you going to clear it? Also have you gone through 3 of these lips?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
abj

Quote:
Originally Posted by allturbo98 View Post
Looks good so far. Are you going to clear it? Also have you gone through 3 of these lips?
I did clear it, not sure why it doesn't look like it. I sprayed 3 coats and yes, this is the 3rd lip. The first got beat up and the 2nd was torn off on the freeway.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 12:02 PM
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by abj View Post
I did clear it, not sure why it doesn't look like it. I sprayed 3 coats and yes, this is the 3rd lip. The first got beat up and the 2nd was torn off on the freeway.
Weird! It looks as it has a satin finish. Was there a lot of humidity when spraying?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
abj

Quote:
Weird! It looks as it has a satin finish. Was there a lot of humidity when spraying?
Temp was 59 and humidity @ 80% which is exactly what the can recommended. Thinking I'm going to sand it down and get a different brand of clear. I used duplicolor for everything except the adhesion promoter. Any suggestions?

edit: I'll get a different brand and apply to the lip for comparison then make decision to sand the bumper.

Last edited by abj; 03-23-2017 at 12:16 PM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 12:48 PM
Frequenter

Quote:
Temp was 59 and humidity @ 80% which is exactly what the can recommended. Thinking I'm going to sand it down and get a different brand of clear. I used duplicolor for everything except the adhesion promoter. Any suggestions?

edit: I'll get a different brand and apply to the lip for comparison then make decision to sand the bumper.
I don't really have a brand to try but this same thing happened to my friends lip and wing when he painted it. He cleared it and it gave it a satin finish as well. Was it a 2 part kit? I know most 2 parts kits the activator needs to be correct or things like this will happen. If it was a single stage clear, that could be a issue. Where did you get the paint? Any reputable paint shop should be able to tell you what they use for your area.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
abj

Quote:
I don't really have a brand to try but this same thing happened to my friends lip and wing when he painted it. He cleared it and it gave it a satin finish as well. Was it a 2 part kit? I know most 2 parts kits the activator needs to be correct or things like this will happen. If it was a single stage clear, that could be a issue. Where did you get the paint? Any reputable paint shop should be able to tell you what they use for your area.
I got it at my local paint shop, (Hawley's.) Just duplicolor perfect match paint and clear.

Last edited by abj; Today at 04:59 PM.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
abj

Here is the lip primed in my homemade paint booth...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6803.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	107769  
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 01:46 PM
Lurker

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Quote:
Lip is mocked up and holes drilled. Since pic, adhesion promoter has been applied... almost ready for primer.
Link to lip pls
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
abj

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrisz View Post
Link to lip pls
http://stores.ebay.com/MagicDrift-po...?rt=nc&_ipg=48
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 02:49 PM
Frequenter

Quote:
I got it at my local paint shop, (Hawley's.) Just duplicolor perfect match paint and clear.
Ok, I never used these clears because it never comes out great and it starts to fade and doesn't really last long. Try and get some 2K clear. It cost more but you will get better results. Just ask the paint store about 2k Max clear spray can. Also you might want to ask if you can use the 2k on the base coat without having any affect on it. Ive seen where it can actually cause more problems because of it reacting to the basecoat. The 2K will also last longer and have more of a factory finish.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2k.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	107777  
abj likes this.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
abj

Quote:
Ok, I never used these clears because it never comes out great and it starts to fade and doesn't really last long. Try and get some 2K clear. It cost more but you will get better results. Just ask the paint store about 2k Max clear spray can. Also you might want to ask if you can use the 2k on the base coat without having any affect on it. Ive seen where it can actually cause more problems because of it reacting to the basecoat. The 2K will also last longer and have more of a factory finish.
Definitely something i'll look into. I did some review research on duplicolor clear coat and many have experienced results like mine. Some have had success with using multiple light coats vs. just two. Some have also had success with heavy coats. Either way I'll experiment and try to turn this thread into a "build" instead of a paint documentary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Member Rides and Builds > Member Build Threads - Lexus IS only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page