LinkBack Thread Tools
post #676 of 684 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 04:11 AM
Driver

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Garage
Dezod,

I recently received a set of green headers and the hardware that I found in the box includes two vband connections, two bolts, 4 washers, and 2 nuts. I was assuming that the nuts, bolts, and washers were for the last connection that mates the 3rd section to the cat-back exhaust section. The bolts that I received though were much too long and were not threaded enough to tighten the sections together with the included gasket. The nuts reach the bottom of the threaded area and the two pipes are still VERY loose. Am I doing something wrong?

Will I need to go to a hardware store to pick up some bolts that fit?

Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dezod bolts.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	420.8 KB
ID:	106474  

Chase
2004 TCM SportDesign IS300 with 5sp MT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #677 of 684 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasep View Post
Dezod,

I recently received a set of green headers and the hardware that I found in the box includes two vband connections, two bolts, 4 washers, and 2 nuts. I was assuming that the nuts, bolts, and washers were for the last connection that mates the 3rd section to the cat-back exhaust section. The bolts that I received though were much too long and were not threaded enough to tighten the sections together with the included gasket. The nuts reach the bottom of the threaded area and the two pipes are still VERY loose. Am I doing something wrong?

Will I need to go to a hardware store to pick up some bolts that fit?

Thanks,
We do apologize we can't get hardware correct 100% of the time based on everyone's different fitment, but maybe going to hardware store with the educated information you now have and replacing the bolts with the length you require so your header can be installed was a better plan than posting here? Reimbursement isn't out of the question simply send my bolts back to me. A simple pm is adequate. This is a very simple resolution.

thank you,

Dezod

Last edited by Dezod Motorsports; 02-18-2017 at 06:16 AM.
post #678 of 684 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 07:22 AM
Driver

Garage
Dezod,

Sorry if my message would have been more appropriate as a pm. I'm not looking for reimbursement, just clarification. I was up way to late into the morning working on replacing my headers, 95% of the time was spent grinding down 1 frozen nut that was preventing me from separating the OEM header from the OEM y-pipe. I am very happy with the quality of the product and at the time believed I may have been doing something wrong or missing something obvious due to my exhaustion.

Thank you for the quick reply. Now time to go get some hardware

Chase

post #679 of 684 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Dezod,

Sorry if my message would have been more appropriate as a pm. I'm not looking for reimbursement, just clarification. I was up way to late into the morning working on replacing my headers, 95% of the time was spent grinding down 1 frozen nut that was preventing me from separating the OEM header from the OEM y-pipe. I am very happy with the quality of the product and at the time believed I may have been doing something wrong or missing something obvious due to my exhaustion.

Thank you for the quick reply. Now time to go get some hardware
Chase,

I'm going to be in here more often to see these messages, however, I'm found much more easily on FB/IG and at 706-248-1995 if you should have further questions. Don't be afraid to reach out I want everyone to feel like they're able to do so as long as mutual respect is observed.

I know those early hours, that frustration and the typical 4-17 beers that the install can come with when dealing with frozen bolts (working on my LS430 and having same problems currently). Sorry you ran into that. You in NO WAY did anything wrong. I assume you have our taller Dezod donut gasket, it's just simply the wrong size bolts that were sent. I send the same set nearly every time and it's literally hit or miss on if they work for one person to the next. Same with the tC headers we do. Nuances sometimes you just can't plan for and sending out 3 sets of hardware is just wasteful. Apologies truly, but an easy fix for sure.

Chris
post #680 of 684 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 04:47 PM
Driver

Garage
I figured you would understand

I did run into the same issue shown here where the transmission brace hits the third section. I tried and tried to loosen everything, move the pipe this way or that way and retighten, I even removed the cat-back section entirely to try and get it to fit better with no success. When I started the car and ran through the break in procedure, I could hear it vibrating agains the brace so I knew I had to come up with something.

I know others have hammered into the pipe to get some clearance but I didn't have the right hammers or the heart to damage the pipes. So my solution was to support the transmission, remove the brace and grind on it instead. I started the car, did some slow revs to around 3k rpm and didn't hear any more vibrations. Here's hoping that completely fixes it, or I guess I will be grinding away at the brace some more
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	post grind clearance.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	712.6 KB
ID:	106482  

Chase
post #681 of 684 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Chase,

Yeah I see that. Every now and then we run into that. We have found replacing the trans mount alleviates this. This has been VERY successful for us as a solution. We have one on my 01 we built the entire header design off of that ended up with same problem and this was our fix. Here's part number 12371-46160.

We literally haven't changed a mm of that header in years and they still all come out of the same jigs as they did from day one. The vbands were meant to be a way to help alleviate how tight the exhaust runs to the body but we can't prepare for everything as every car is a different. I am however glad it worked out and you are pleased.

Dezod

Quote:
I figured you would understand

I did run into the same issue shown here where the transmission brace hits the third section. I tried and tried to loosen everything, move the pipe this way or that way and retighten, I even removed the cat-back section entirely to try and get it to fit better with no success. When I started the car and ran through the break in procedure, I could hear it vibrating agains the brace so I knew I had to come up with something.

I know others have hammered into the pipe to get some clearance but I didn't have the right hammers or the heart to damage the pipes. So my solution was to support the transmission, remove the brace and grind on it instead. I started the car, did some slow revs to around 3k rpm and didn't hear any more vibrations. Here's hoping that completely fixes it, or I guess I will be grinding away at the brace some more
post #682 of 684 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 02:29 PM
Guru

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)

took the headers out last night to change some O2 sensors
Had them in 3.5 years now 10s of thousands of miles around the country, still running strong.

Headers with O2 sensors by Tobias Sing, on Flickr
Dezod Motorsports likes this.
post #683 of 684 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 06:22 PM
Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

ouch, your jackstand points must be messed up like mine after jacking the car up like that =/

'03 IS300 SD TCM 5-SPD LSD
post #684 of 684 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 12:50 PM
Guru

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonynca View Post
ouch, your jackstand points must be messed up like mine after jacking the car up like that =/
yep, they're all flat, but whatever, it works. Between jacking, accidents, and bottoming out all over the place, the car has definitely taken quite a beating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Supporting Vendors > Dezod Motorsports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page