User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 126 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Dezod AEM V2 Wasted Spark to COP

WARNING:You are performing this at your own risk. We are not responsible for typographical errors or damages that may arise on your end. If you do not feel comfortable doing this procedure, we recommend taking it to a professional to complete OR for a small fee, we can perform the service for you on our components (AEM V2 harness and calibration work)

Ok. I have had some requests for people wanting to ween away from the factory ignition wasted spark for one reason or another....I am going to offer a simple step by step process of how to do this.

*First, since the IS300 is a wasted spark and uses 3 coils for 6 cylinders. Say you want to change it to 6 individual coil on plugs, this how it is done.

*Ensure the new coil choice is a Smart coil. This means it has a built in ignitor and typically has 4 or more wires on the discharge side of the coil. 2 wire coils will not work.

*You will need to add 3 wires to the AEM side of things. Add wire to AEM C14, A13 and A22. These will be the new 3 channels needed for you new COP setup.

*You will now need to make some changes in your calibration to let the AEM know it's no longer firing the wasted spark to individual COP. Go to the following screen: Go to Coils/Inj tab. Note the bottom half of the split screen is for coils.

*Right now it's setup for the following order: 1A, 2A, 3A, 1B, 2B, 3B. The "B" indicates that it's firing that same coil AGAIN (wasted spark)

*To retain the firing order of 1-5-3-6-2-4 you will simply need to uncheck all of the "B" option coils. Then activate "check" coils 1-4A and 7-8A. Notice we are skipping 5 and 6. (These are used for VSS and Knock)

*Now simply enter the values in the spark coil phasing as follows and assuming your cylinder 1 is 1, 2 is 2 etc etc.
Cyl 1 Coil 1A 0
Cyl 2 Coil 2A 16
Cyl 3 Coil 3A 8
Cyl 4 Coil 4A 20
Cyl 5 Coil 7A 4
Cyl 6 Coil 8A 12

Other notable feedback from members:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max 1.6 View Post
Go ahead and drop the dwell. Try around 2.7 to 3.0. That was my solution with a 20 gap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezod Motorsports View Post
Also, side note, recheck all timing at idle AND high rpms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max 1.6 View Post
So I went to check timing, it was +12 when AEM was locked to +10.
When I did the higher RPM test, seems like the timing light couldn't catch every spark... Is it possible?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsuguy View Post
It is possible... How are you picking up the ignition signal? Sometimes timing lights aren't the greatest at picking up through the trigger wire, you may have to get a short spark plug wire and run the #1 coil with that wire to get consistent firing of the light... You do need to adjust your timing sync so that 10 degrees commanded is 10 degrees actual... Its under the timing sync wizard...
Quote:
So you have no idea what gauge wire you used?

I'll tell you how I did mine and it is 100% successful.

10 gauge power wire to a relay by the battery, relay triggered by the aem. Common grounds got grounded through the brackets I made for the coils. The rest, I built a harness, 16 gauge wiring, and ran it all the way to the aem (which I have under the driver seat). Even though I was told it was unnecessary, I ran the secondary ground back to the ecu as well.

Synced timing, which was off a small amount, checked for drift and had none, and all has been well since.

I would bet you aren't giving the coils enough power. They are power hungry.

Also, timing at high rpm can cause misfires. At idle, when the engine is slow, timing can be in a wide range and still be ok. At high rpm, because things are happening so much faster, timing being off or drifting can cause some weird issues. The best of which is a misfire, the worst is melted pistons
Quote:
For the record, I just now changed to heat range 8 plugs and gapped .030. With these coils, I was at 30 psi, heat range 7 and .035 gap without issue. E85
Quote:
I'll tell you how I did mine and it is 100% successful.

10 gauge power wire to a relay by the battery, relay triggered by the aem. Common grounds got grounded through the brackets I made for the coils. The rest, I built a harness, 16 gauge wiring, and ran it all the way to the aem (which I have under the driver seat). Even though I was told it was unnecessary, I ran the secondary ground back to the ecu as well.

Synced timing, which was off a small amount, checked for drift and had none, and all has been well since. I would bet you aren't giving the coils enough power. They are power hungry.

Also, timing at high rpm can cause misfires. At idle, when the engine is slow, timing can be in a wide range and still be ok. At high rpm, because things are happening so much faster, timing being off or drifting can cause some weird issues. The best of which is a misfire, the worst is melted pistons

Last edited by Dezod Motorsports; 09-19-2014 at 09:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 126 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 04:47 PM
Extremist

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Garage
Fantastic information!

___Go Fast or F*** It___

Im your local smarta$$
post #3 of 126 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 05:08 PM
Deity

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

post #4 of 126 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 08:19 PM
Extremist

Garage
For those of you who need to know what these pins are for here you go:
C14- Coil 4
A13- Coil 7
A22- Coil 8

When I need to attach the flying lead harness to the AEM do you recommend that I unpin the wires from the harness side at B13, C12, and C13 and install the flying lead harness in these pins? This is my idea since it does not require me to modify the harness and allows me to put the harness back to how it came from you if needed.
B13- Coil 1
C12- Coil 2
C13- Coil 3

Also if you use the LQ9 truck coils with the heat sink do you need to go in the setup wizard under the "Ignition: Coil Dwell" and select the "GM LQ9 Truck Coils w/ heat sink" to further set things up? And what Coil Phasing should be used with a COP setup?

___Go Fast or F*** It___

Im your local smarta$$

Last edited by leonard_is300; 02-06-2013 at 08:40 PM.
post #5 of 126 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonard_is300 View Post
For those of you who need to know what these pins are for here you go:
C14- Coil 4
A13- Coil 7
A22- Coil 8

When I need to attach the flying lead harness to the AEM do you recommend that I unpin the wires from the harness side at B13, C12, and C13 and install the flying lead harness in these pins? This is my idea since it does not require me to modify the harness and allows me to put the harness back to how it came from you if needed.
B13- Coil 1
C12- Coil 2
C13- Coil 3

Also if you use the LQ9 truck coils with the heat sink do you need to go in the setup wizard under the "Ignition: Coil Dwell" and select the "GM LQ9 Truck Coils w/ heat sink" to further set things up? And what Coil Phasing should be used with a COP setup?
If you want to, you can....

Just updated the top post with the phasing......

Make sure you elect the proper coil dwell wizard for the coils to be used.
post #6 of 126 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 08:42 AM
Extremist

Garage
The LQ9 coils that I will be using listed in the setup wizard so that should make things easy. Am I able customize the dwell time also? I'd like to be at 5ms dwell time if it isn't at that already.

Thanks for the phasing information!

___Go Fast or F*** It___

Im your local smarta$$
post #7 of 126 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonard_is300 View Post
The LQ9 coils that I will be using listed in the setup wizard so that should make things easy. Am I able customize the dwell time also? I'd like to be at 5ms dwell time if it isn't at that already.

Thanks for the phasing information!
Go the following:
Display>Display Explorer>Ignition>Coil Dwell Time

Complete customization available in those 4 channels.
post #8 of 126 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Just did Donnie's conversion for him. Not hard. 3 wires added, 3 changed and you're done.
post #9 of 126 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 10:33 PM
Extremist

Garage
Cant wait to get it back, I am pumped for this!!

___Go Fast or F*** It___

Im your local smarta$$
post #10 of 126 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 12:20 PM
Enthusiast

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

What is the benefit of a true COP setup on a daily driven application(near stock or mild turbo? or is this more for highly built/boosted weekend/track cars?

'01 ASP 17x8 ssr comps 225/45 all around, LS400 bbk, FX-R 3.0 projector retrofit in JDM headlights, Modellista front, c-speed sides/rear, Rigid Bars, Hotchkis sways(stiff), Konis & eibach prokit, PLP intake tube & K&N filter, JIC Ti axleback w/ custom midpipe...more to come ;)
post #11 of 126 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 02:43 PM
Extremist

Garage
I have a stronger spark do rather then having a .025" plug gap I can now open it up to .042" and up the coil dwell time for a hotter spark. If your on a mild boost level the stock ignition with a hks dli will be fine. But since I'm running e85 I'll have better cold and hot starts due to the more powerfull spark that I get with the LQ9 coils.

___Go Fast or F*** It___

Im your local smarta$$
post #12 of 126 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

post #13 of 126 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

post #14 of 126 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi. I am new to the forum.
I have 2 questions regading the Spark to COP change.
Trying to decide in getting your Dezod AEM V2 PNP kit.
1 - There will be no need for the IGF Simulator?
2 - Also there will be no need for the OEM Igniter? We can just remove it all together?
post #15 of 126 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgottenzone View Post
Hi. I am new to the forum.
I have 2 questions regading the Spark to COP change.
Trying to decide in getting your Dezod AEM V2 PNP kit.
1 - There will be no need for the IGF Simulator?
2 - Also there will be no need for the OEM Igniter? We can just remove it all together?
This depends on what coil setup you choose and how you choose to run it. Impossible to say. If it's a smart coil that has a built-in igniter, then you would not need the OEM igniter. The IGF is only pertinent to the factory ECU and stock coils. It sends a brief confirmation signal to the factory ECU that the spark has occurred with no errors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Supporting Vendors > Dezod Motorsports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page