LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 107 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Fiend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

LS400 calipers install

Mike,

I did a search and some old stuff is coming up. Does you adapter for Supra brakes works on LS400 calipers? I just bought some and want to get parts together.

Also, do you mind guiding me with a parts list?

Do I get IS300 or LS400 brake lines?
I've read that Supra disks work with LS400 calipers?
Do you sell the so-called RCA spacer?

Anything else I'm missing beside having to cut some of the brake dust cover?

Work*UGO*RMM*ARC*LMS*Megan*HKS Hypermax*Buddy Club Spec II*Amuse*Apexi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 12:51 PM
Fiend

post #3 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 10:07 PM
Extremist

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

I have all the parts, just need time to install everthing. This is what I bought:

Figs Full HiSteer RCA's
Figs TT Caliper Adapters

LS400 Front EBC 3GD Sport Rotors
LS400 Front EBC Red Stuff Pads

IS300 Rear EBC 3GD Sport Rotors
IS300 Rear EBC Red Stuff Pads

Techna Fit IS300 SS Brake Lines

According to Supra Forums and Club Lexus, you can MAKE TT Supra rotors fit. But I didn't want to take time to mess with that so I bought LS400 Rotors. You don't have as many choices, but if you buy TT rotors and screw them up you'll have to buy another pair.

And from everything I read here, you can us IS300 brake lines with TT Supra calipers so I saw no reason why you couldn't with LS400 calipers.

Since the TT adapters aren't made for LS400 calipers, you have to get them lined up on the hub before you can press them in. Mike suggested using a longer bolt to get things started/lined up and then press them the rest of the way in. (At least that's how I understood it lol).

I also bought cylinder rebuild kits for the LS400 calipers and my rear IS300 calipers since I had/am having them powder coated. I'm still waiting on the rear rebuild kit, that's why they aren't installed yet. If anyone wants part numbers I'll post them up when I can. And you don't have to buy the rebuild kits. I am having my calipers all powder coated so they had to be taking apart so I decided to replace everything.

EDIT: This is the cylinder rebuild kit for the 1995-2000 front LS400 calipers. These are the old boots/seals, but it shows what comes with the cylinder rebuild kit. 8 Seals for the pistons, 8 boots, 2 fittings for the brake lines, and not pictured is the grease it came with. I think that was it. I reused the two small o-rings (per caliper) that were between the two halves since you can't get them from Toyota.

Part Number is: 04479-50091

I don't have my rear rebuild kit yet, but I'll post that stuff when I get it.

Last edited by white_is; 08-03-2010 at 04:19 PM.

post #4 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Fiend

Do you absolutely have to have the FIGS adapters?

So far I've got..

The calipers, being rebuilt and powder coated
Rotora Slotted rotors
Rotora stainless lines
OEM pads

Work*UGO*RMM*ARC*LMS*Megan*HKS Hypermax*Buddy Club Spec II*Amuse*Apexi

Last edited by ultra kirill; 08-09-2010 at 01:52 PM.
post #5 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 04:15 PM
Frequenter

what i know of yes. They hit the lower ball joint if not

HKS triple plate. Is like the rattle call we all use to get the snakes to come out and play(i.e. vipers, cobras,Gt500's).
post #6 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 04:27 PM
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra kirill View Post
Do you absolutely have to have the FIGS adapters?

So far I've got..

The calipers, being rebuilt and powder coated
Rotora Slotted rotors
Rotora stainless lines
OEM pads
I'm pretty sure you do. I'll look tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyIS300 View Post
what i know of yes. They hit the lower ball joint if not
No that is what the roll center adjusters are for..
post #7 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 11:19 PM
Extremist

So I got my calipers installed today.

Figs caliper adapters are super nice. But since they aren't designed for the LS400 calipers they are a pain to line up... or so I thought. I spent like 2 hours on Tuesday trying to get them to line up but eventually gave up. I thought about it all day Wednesday and when I got off work I went home and went to work.

The way I did it was by putting the stock IS caliper with the outside facing the ground (so the bolt holes were off the ground). Then I sat the caliper adapters on the IS caliper and then eyeballed it until they look like they might fit the LS400's. Then I held the LS400's above the adapters and tried to make sure they were lined up, and then slowly lowered it down into place. Once they were in a little bit I pull them through. Went to test fit them and they lined up perfect. I had both done in WAY under an hour compared to the 2 I spent the day before lol.

That might not be the best/easiest way to do it, but I was at a loss on how to and it worked for me lol.

Next up was the brake lines. I purchased Techna-Fit SS lines made for the IS300 and they lined up/bolted up perfect. So I see no problem using the stock lines or any other SS line made for the IS.

I'll get the rear cylinder rebuild kit part number tomorrow and update this since I included the fronts. The rears were very simple to get back together.

I'll be following EBC bed in recommendations for the next 300 or so miles, so I won't be able to update the feel for at least a week.

All in all, it was pretty easy getting everything together. It was my first time doing anything brake related and I didn't run into any issues so I'm happy. I just can't wait to push them and see how they perform! They atleast look awesome lol.

I'll update with pictures once I clean my car up too!
post #8 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 10:09 PM
Extremist

Rear Cylinder Rebuild kit is Part Number: 04479-30231

It came with the seals, dust boots, circular clips that go around the dust boots, bleeder caps, and grease. I think that was everything. Very similar to the LS400 rebuild kit obviously.
post #9 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 01:53 PM
Frequenter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Habe you taken any pics of the installation process? Have you installed the RCA adaptors?
post #10 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 10:49 PM
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecos View Post
Habe you taken any pics of the installation process? Have you installed the RCA adaptors?
I did not take any pictures since I did the entire install by myself and had dirty hands. I didn't really want to get my camera dirty...

But the RCA install is pretty simple. There are two bolts that go through the lower ball joint into the hub that you remove. Then you remove the cotter pin's from the outer tie rod ball joint and the lower ball joint. Then take off the nuts from both of them. You can lift the hub up and off of the lower ball joint too. It's pretty straight forward really. I had to use a ball joint seperater to free my outer tie rod and the lower ball joint. If you have to, be careful! Mine was too big and destroyed the boot on all four. That is why I replaced both outer tie rods.

The caliper adapters are the only tricky part. I tried to explain the process, but I didn't get any pictures since I was working by myself...

I need to put about 50-75 miles on them before I really get on them I can't wait. They feel great right now though.
post #11 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 08:58 PM
Guru

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Garage
How is the steering with this set up ????

bump alive

Support The Troops - OIF Veteran - SSG of Soldiers - AND PROUD OF IT

-Boosted-
-JCE10 Midwest-
___Go Fast or F*** It___
post #12 of 107 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 09:02 PM
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezik777 View Post
How is the steering with this set up ????

bump alive
My setup may be different, but this is how I feel.

I have Figs hysteer RCA's with the lowering spacer, so it dropped the front end around 1" and gave me the extra clearance for the LS400 calipers. It also replaces the lower ball joint.

I also have them set up for the hysteer function. This decreases lock-to-lock from 3 full turns to 2 and 2/3 I think.

My steering is extremely quick and tight. It requires very little effort and is very responsive. It does take some getting used to, so you may take Figs recommendation and install them in the "stock" position for a few weeks. That way you can adjust to the tighter steering feel. Then move them to the hysteer location and get used to the much quicker steering.

I absolutely love it. I can't imagine how responsive my steering would be with the solid steering rack bushings. Eventually I'll purchase them also

If you are going to do ANY sort of tracking with your car, I would definitely pick them up. It's been one of the most drastic suspension mods I've done.
post #13 of 107 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 07:00 AM
Extremist

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Garage
Back from the dead, I might be able to get my hands on a set of LS400 calipers for cheap. As of right now I have the TT brake setup on my car and I have no clearance issues but its cutting it close. Are the dimensions of the LS400 calipers the same, smaller, or bigger then the TT calipers?

___Go Fast or F*** It___

Im your local smarta$$

Last edited by leonard_is300; 03-01-2012 at 08:47 AM.
post #14 of 107 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 08:05 AM
Extremist

LS400 rotors are .2" or .3" smaller than TT Supra rotors. It's been forever since I looked it up but I found the info on Suprq forums before I did my swap.

The LS400 calipers are like 6 pounds lighter per caliper if I remember right though.
post #15 of 107 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 08:47 AM
Extremist

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Garage
the weight savings is the big reason for doing this. My TT calipers are also in super rough shape :-/ The casting where the adapter is pressed in is cranking and broken. I also heard that there are 2 different size rotors for the 95-00 years LS400 is this true?

___Go Fast or F*** It___

Im your local smarta$$
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Supporting Vendors > FIGS Engineering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page