User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 353 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 12:04 PM
Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Wow that looks very cool Mike. I have a noobie question that im sure would benefit a lot of people. I think I understand the general concept of this, but how functional is the diffuser plate? Do you believe it will be a night and day difference? From what I gather it can only be felt at higher speeds. Is this true? What kind of benefits would someone receive using this diffuser plate? Thanks Mike,

Hiral
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 353 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 04:13 PM
Fig
THE MAKER

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Well I will get a lot of flack here as I have in the past, but I felt changes in the handling at 60mph and up. The vacuum on the exhaust was actually felt and there was good performance gains. It was pretty weird, like the car just sucked down and kept accelerating without problems. To avoid a fight with the ral CFD pros I will not make any further statements than those of my opinions. Once I get this done I have some instrumentation and a flat newly paved section of road that I will be able to get some suspension pententiometer readings for comparison. That is all.

Fig
post #48 of 353 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 09:47 PM
Follower

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Good stuff Fig, seeing Progress is awesome, keep it up!

post #49 of 353 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 11:15 AM
Addict

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Great... thats what I wanted to know... those high speed NJ Turnpike runs would be perfect with this....
post #50 of 353 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 06:16 PM
86b
Loyalist

Maybe it's just me and my perspective problems... but correct me if i'm wrong

This picture is shown looking at the difusser from the front of the car and the exhaust opening is on the right...

This picture is shown photoshopped difusser on the car looking at it from the back of the car and the exhaust opening is on the right.

Does not seem like the 2 of them are same... if you get what i mean

A car without a turbo is like a man without a dick...
post #51 of 353 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 09:43 PM
Fig
THE MAKER

pespective can be a tricky thing the upper is actually looking from the rear underneath. Both models are taken right out of CAD views .
post #52 of 353 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Boostin in the 505

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Garage
I know this is being designed for the stock rear bumper, however will it be able to fit with aftermarket bumpers/lips?

02 Onyx IS300
post #53 of 353 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 11:37 AM
Fig
THE MAKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Cruz View Post
I know this is being designed for the stock rear bumper, however will it be able to fit with aftermarket bumpers/lips?
Any lip that extends below the stock undertray will have to be modded with this first rev. Later down the line I can look at changing the design to wrap around a lip. That will be one good thing about the aluminum design and having it two peice. I can change the "ramp" insert to another angle and extend it etc to go beyond a lip. It may require another peice to tie it back into the bumper though. The key to this peice is the angle of exit...and if the lip goes too low, than it defeats the purpose.

Fig
post #54 of 353 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fig View Post
To avoid a fight with the ral CFD pros I will not make any further statements than those of my opinions.
Fig
Good decision. I actually took a little time to research and discuss this particular flow field when I got time away from the combustion stuff. I have some .pdf's of scientific journal articles that discuss this flow field from the standpoint of commercial CFD codes, research oriented algorithms (LES - DNS), and experimental data. If you want them, I will send them to you via email or pm or something.

I know you are short on time, but I wish you would read them because I think you really need to see for yourself just how far away you are from legitimate design of a turbulent diffusing flow field of that scale using the resources you have available.

In all honesty Fig, I do applaud you for attacking projects from a scientific, functional standpoint. I just beg of you, from here on out, not to overstep your own scientific bounds for the sake of making a dishonest buck. That s*** just aint cool.
post #55 of 353 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 08:21 PM
Fig
THE MAKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub-t View Post
Good decision. I actually took a little time to research and discuss this particular flow field when I got time away from the combustion stuff. I have some .pdf's of scientific journal articles that discuss this flow field from the standpoint of commercial CFD codes, research oriented algorithms (LES - DNS), and experimental data. If you want them, I will send them to you via email or pm or something.

I know you are short on time, but I wish you would read them because I think you really need to see for yourself just how far away you are from legitimate design of a turbulent diffusing flow field of that scale using the resources you have available.

In all honesty Fig, I do applaud you for attacking projects from a scientific, functional standpoint. I just beg of you, from here on out, not to overstep your own scientific bounds for the sake of making a dishonest buck. That s*** just aint cool.
Send em on over. contact@figsprops.com. I would like to think I am not in the business of a dishonest bucks...I think I usually tend to get things right eventually, typically not on the first shot and I am the first to admit that..
post #56 of 353 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 11:52 PM
Extremist

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub-t View Post

you have 21 posts on this forum. 21 posts all ragging on this design. did you join for the sole purpose of shitting on the idea of a functional rear diffuser? never once has figs said that this design was r&d'd and ready to give you a 100% increase in downforce.... leave it alone. its not done, we're waiting patiently, and its not in figs nature to put out a product that doesn't work or that he doesn't have confidence in. a faulty product could end him as a vender at this stage. i think he's smart enough not to let that happen.

1st Gen Elitist
01 Satin White IS300 Sedan w/ Sportcross conversion.
Broken, Beaten, Ugly, Riced out, and loved. Some people will never understand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Tom- View Post
Hes poor and from AL or MS or some other tragic Katrina victim state. what do you expect.
RIVALHOUSEGARAGEDOTCOM
post #57 of 353 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 09:54 AM
Fig
THE MAKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avernier View Post
you have 21 posts on this forum. 21 posts all ragging on this design. did you join for the sole purpose of shitting on the idea of a functional rear diffuser? never once has figs said that this design was r&d'd and ready to give you a 100% increase in downforce.... leave it alone. its not done, we're waiting patiently, and its not in figs nature to put out a product that doesn't work or that he doesn't have confidence in. a faulty product could end him as a vender at this stage. i think he's smart enough not to let that happen.
Its all good man, he has a PHD in the field so his input is valued. It is a very complex problem and CFD is an everexpanding sink of computational power and correct modeling. He sent me some great articles that I will slowly digest over the Christmas break A lot of info available out there for sure. the important thing is that I create a product that people are happy with, provides some results and is reasonably priced. There will not be much more to argue with at that point Most of you want a cosmetic peice anyway

Fig
post #58 of 353 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 10:46 AM
Extremist

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fig View Post
Its all good man, he has a PHD in the field so his input is valued. It is a very complex problem and CFD is an everexpanding sink of computational power and correct modeling. He sent me some great articles that I will slowly digest over the Christmas break A lot of info available out there for sure. the important thing is that I create a product that people are happy with, provides some results and is reasonably priced. There will not be much more to argue with at that point Most of you want a cosmetic peice anyway

Fig
for sure, and thats not what i'm against. i want you to have all the help from any knowledgable person you can, be it dub t or otherwise. i've read his posts and i can see he knows what he's talking about, but its the little querks that bug me. when he accuses you of making a dishonest buck and stuff like that. i can see when he's helping, but the rest isn't wanted. this is not my battle, and i'm sorry for butting in, just a tad annoyed. thanks, good luck and godspeed.

1st Gen Elitist
01 Satin White IS300 Sedan w/ Sportcross conversion.
Broken, Beaten, Ugly, Riced out, and loved. Some people will never understand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Tom- View Post
Hes poor and from AL or MS or some other tragic Katrina victim state. what do you expect.
RIVALHOUSEGARAGEDOTCOM
post #59 of 353 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 05:59 PM
Deity

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

This is funny, FIG in the market to make a dishonest dollar? I think you need to sit back and do some research on Fig, I dont trust many people but for sure he is in the top 5!

Did someone say headlights? Yes we do them and do them well!!!

GET IN ON THE PRE-BUY FOR THE SS DOOR SILLS, LOCATED IN THE TUNEDPARTS VENDOR AREA.
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK and A CHANCE FOR DISCOUNTS AND UPDATES.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tunedp...32141386810153

http://my.is/forums/f217/headlight-g...9/#post6376119

Lowest prices on ///TECK KITS///MAF FLANGES///

Tunedparts vendor section for details.
post #60 of 353 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 10:49 PM
Fig
THE MAKER

finished up...sort of..the mounting plate. Could be ready to cut out soon. It may be tricky to install unless I add more entry angle to the clips.
I also added 1" to the side wings as that matched my previous mock up dimensions. I will hem and haw a bit more and then pull the trigger.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Supporting Vendors > FIGS Engineering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page