User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Garage
Restoring Shine to my baby...

I am struggling with restoring shine to my car. I have a custom paint job that is black with red flake but with being dull and the tremendous amount of scratches that haunt every black paint job, the true beauty does not shine through. My normal protection is a coat of Nu Finish wax in the orange bottle but of course that is not enough to cut it. Will a good polishing compound on a 6'' orbital waxer help restore the shine in addition to a good coat of wax? the pictures attached may give an idea of what I am dealing with. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 06:26 PM
Deity

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Swirls galore. Wax will only try to mask the swirls. You definitely need a 1 to 2 stage correction. I think generally, orbital's are not a good idea for consumers as you may introduce holograms. I think many of us consumers use a dual action random orbital to avoid that. Try to use a compound that is not overly aggressive so you don't end up removing too much paint. If the compound can correct most of the swirls with 2-3 application, that should give you enough margin of error to correct the swirls without removing too much paint. Personally, I would use a Porta cable with an orange pad, and Menzerna Super Intensive Polish. For a black car, you may follow up with a finer compound for a higher gloss (but that's beyond what most people would do).

03 CW | Tokico White| EiBach Prokit | Tom's RSTB | L-tune Red Sway | Works VS-XX gold 18x8.5 +45/18x9.5 +45 | Hankook V12 215/40/18 + 225/40/18 | JoeZ | Dezod green header | RMM Front/Side/trunk spoiler + Carson rear lip | 03 SD Grill | Ebay oem style Headlights | JDM Dark Chrome Tails | Kenwood DNX7100 | Kenwood GTM-10 | JBL MS-8 | JDM Double Din | Focal 165VR | Infinity 6932 | ID IDQ10V3-4 IB Rear Deck | Alpine PDX-5 | Dynamat Extreme | CompuStar
My pix whoring thread
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 01:50 AM
Follower

I've used a buffer and 3M Finesse It II. It's very light polish but you still have to be really slow and easy with the buffer so you don't burn through the paint on the edges. If you're not very good with one, check out a detail shop or trusted body shop - shouldn't be too much money. ps You HAVE to wax the paint right after you wash off the polish splatter.

IS300 - it's a Love/Hate relationship.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the help guys! I plan to do an intensive session of restoration soon but for the time being I spent 2 1/2 hours shining that helped tremendously. I used the basic turtle wax polishing compound with a wet pad and then a good coat of the Nu Finish car polish. Made a huge difference but still not where I want it to be...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 05:58 PM
Deity

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I would stay away from Turtle's polishing compound. It seems to be quite coarse and will introduce MORE swirls, but your Nu Finish polish probably has significant fillers and are masking the new swirls. It may be a good idea to use something with much less cut.

Turtle wax polishing compound disaster - CrossfireForum.org

03 CW | Tokico White| EiBach Prokit | Tom's RSTB | L-tune Red Sway | Works VS-XX gold 18x8.5 +45/18x9.5 +45 | Hankook V12 215/40/18 + 225/40/18 | JoeZ | Dezod green header | RMM Front/Side/trunk spoiler + Carson rear lip | 03 SD Grill | Ebay oem style Headlights | JDM Dark Chrome Tails | Kenwood DNX7100 | Kenwood GTM-10 | JBL MS-8 | JDM Double Din | Focal 165VR | Infinity 6932 | ID IDQ10V3-4 IB Rear Deck | Alpine PDX-5 | Dynamat Extreme | CompuStar
My pix whoring thread
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 07:45 PM

If anyone is curious about how to polish your car, check out a guy on YouTube 'junkman2000' for a starting point. Long winded but knowledgable.

2004 Black IS300 5MT LSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Off Topic > The Car Wash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page