User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Fiend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Im detailing my little IS300 today.

Its finally supposed to be nice weather today, I just went out and bought Meguiars NXT 2.0 wax,NXT tire shine,and a Meguiars clay bar kit. I already have griots garage polish in case I run into any marks that dont come out. But with the car being repainted about a year ago, I think just a wash with dawn,a clay bar,and a coat of wax will do the job just fine. Do you guys think I should put 2 coats of the NXT 2.0 wax on? Or will I be just fine with one coat of wax? I cant wait to see how good my little IS300 will look when im done. Im planning on working on it all day to make sure I do everything perfect. Oh yeah I have a griots garage power buffer or whatever its called too. So I was thinking put the first coat of wax on with the buffer and then put the second coat of wax on by hand? Is that a good idea? Thanks again guys, if you want I will post before and after pictures!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 10:12 PM
Deity

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I recall you don't use a buffer for wax. Hand application will probably give you better coverage. I'd save a power buffer only for correction, or if you have a wax that doesn't come off easily. You should probably do a search to see if NXT 2.0 can be layered or not as not all waxy may be layered. If it can't be layered, then additional coating may only give you better coverage and not thicker coats.

03 CW | Tokico White| EiBach Prokit | Tom's RSTB | L-tune Red Sway | Works VS-XX gold 18x8.5 +45/18x9.5 +45 | Hankook V12 215/40/18 + 225/40/18 | JoeZ | Dezod green header | RMM Front/Side/trunk spoiler + Carson rear lip | 03 SD Grill | Ebay oem style Headlights | JDM Dark Chrome Tails | Kenwood DNX7100 | Kenwood GTM-10 | JBL MS-8 | JDM Double Din | Focal 165VR | Infinity 6932 | ID IDQ10V3-4 IB Rear Deck | Alpine PDX-5 | Dynamat Extreme | CompuStar
My pix whoring thread
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 12:38 PM
Fiend

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

You can apply waxes with "buffer" i use my porter cable all the time to do this, its nothing new just pick the lowest speed, main thing is the wax has to be able to accept the "heat" from it. Some waxes need heat to break them down whereas others will just haze and turn to dust.

"I just want to learn more about wheel fitment from the aggressive setup of Jerm." -shoryuuu

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 05:18 PM
Deity

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

You can use a buffer, but you shouldn't. You get better coverage with manual application.

03 CW | Tokico White| EiBach Prokit | Tom's RSTB | L-tune Red Sway | Works VS-XX gold 18x8.5 +45/18x9.5 +45 | Hankook V12 215/40/18 + 225/40/18 | JoeZ | Dezod green header | RMM Front/Side/trunk spoiler + Carson rear lip | 03 SD Grill | Ebay oem style Headlights | JDM Dark Chrome Tails | Kenwood DNX7100 | Kenwood GTM-10 | JBL MS-8 | JDM Double Din | Focal 165VR | Infinity 6932 | ID IDQ10V3-4 IB Rear Deck | Alpine PDX-5 | Dynamat Extreme | CompuStar
My pix whoring thread
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 05:28 PM
Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnysks View Post
You can use a buffer, but you shouldn't. You get better coverage with manual application.
Agreed. A buffer can do way more damage than good and should only be used if seriously needed. Burned edges and glistening swirl marks look awful in sunlight...

Facebook: "IS's of Alabama"

- 6 Speed Sport e90 BMW 335i; MTech package & e85 COBB tuned (Current)
- 2004 IS300 Black Onyx 5 Speed w/LSD; Pioneer, AEM, R-Dash, 2013 ISX50 5 spoke wheels (Owned from November 2010-2013)
- 2002 IS300 Black Onyx 5 Speed w/LSD Stock (Owned from 2009-2010)
- 2001 IS300 Black Onyx Stock (Owned in 2007)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Fiend

How often do you guys wax your cars?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 09:51 PM
Aficionado

My car is black onyx which is a one-stage paint. The clear-coat and all is mixed in together. I've found Meguiar's Ultimate Paste Wax to be the best solution for this specific paint out of many waxes I've tried. This of course is only if the paint is free of contaminants because this is in no way a cleaning wax, more of a sealing wax. I usually wax it every 3 months and go over the car with Meg's quick detailer after each wash and dry to remove dried water on the paint. Occasionally I'll follow that up with Meg's spray wax just for a quick protection that keeps bugs and contaminants from sticking as easily, especially on the front end.

Facebook: "IS's of Alabama"

- 6 Speed Sport e90 BMW 335i; MTech package & e85 COBB tuned (Current)
- 2004 IS300 Black Onyx 5 Speed w/LSD; Pioneer, AEM, R-Dash, 2013 ISX50 5 spoke wheels (Owned from November 2010-2013)
- 2002 IS300 Black Onyx 5 Speed w/LSD Stock (Owned from 2009-2010)
- 2001 IS300 Black Onyx Stock (Owned in 2007)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Fiend

I have some of that quick detailer too. Whats its purpose? So you wash your car and then put that on over the whole car? Im assuming thats for in between waxes.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 07:37 PM

I use quick detailer but its no where close to putting on a fresh coat of wax. A nice thing to do when drying is to get the majority of the water off of the car and finish the small remanance with a clean towel with some quick detailer on it.

2004 Black IS300 5MT LSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Off Topic > The Car Wash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page