Can you place the same size tires all the way around instead of Staggered. - my.IS - Lexus IS Forum
Welcome to the newly redesigned my.IS website - Your source for IS200, IS250, IS300, IS350 and IS-F Information.

b

Register | Home | Forums | News | Photos | Content | FAQ | Advertise | Store

Go Back   my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > 2nd-Gen IS250/IS350 > Wheels and Tires
Register Home Forum Photos Active Topics / Realtime Garage iTrader User's Guide Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

My.is is the premier Lexus IS Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2007, 11:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hambone City is an unknown at this point
Books Can you place the same size tires all the way around instead of Staggered.

I have a 2007 IS 250 with the upgrade 18" staggard configuration with
225/40R18 Front and 255/40R18 Back. My question is, can I place the same size tire on all four? I understand the TPMS and different diameters but has anyone actually done this with success?
Hambone City is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2007, 01:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Frequenter

Dr. B is an elite community memberDr. B is an elite community memberDr. B is an elite community memberDr. B is an elite community memberDr. B is an elite community memberDr. B is an elite community memberDr. B is an elite community memberDr. B is an elite community memberDr. B is an elite community memberDr. B is an elite community memberDr. B is an elite community member
I haven't heard of anyone trying this. I think anything wider in the front may rub without other modifications....maybe some others will chime in....
Dr. B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 08-03-2007, 06:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Extremist

cdeslandes is an elite community membercdeslandes is an elite community membercdeslandes is an elite community membercdeslandes is an elite community membercdeslandes is an elite community membercdeslandes is an elite community membercdeslandes is an elite community membercdeslandes is an elite community membercdeslandes is an elite community membercdeslandes is an elite community membercdeslandes is an elite community member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone City View Post
225/40R18 Front and 255/40R18 Back. My question is, can I place the same size tire on all four? I understand the TPMS and different diameters but has anyone actually done this with success?
Might be difficult since the rims have different width but I supposed you could put 235s or 245s all the way around.

TMPS shouldn't care, it just measures the pressure.

You'd have to make sure the tire diameters are the same as before.

Why do you want to do this, by the way?
cdeslandes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 08-03-2007, 08:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeslandes View Post
Might be difficult since the rims have different width but I supposed you could put 235s or 245s all the way around.

TMPS shouldn't care, it just measures the pressure.

You'd have to make sure the tire diameters are the same as before.

Why do you want to do this, by the way?
I want to do this because 12k miles staggered per set of wheels compared to 40k miles per set of all season compound if you can rotate. My 07 IS 250 came with 140 treadwear summer compound. I think the savings is worth it.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lurker

rtp300 is an elite community memberrtp300 is an elite community memberrtp300 is an elite community memberrtp300 is an elite community memberrtp300 is an elite community memberrtp300 is an elite community memberrtp300 is an elite community memberrtp300 is an elite community memberrtp300 is an elite community memberrtp300 is an elite community memberrtp300 is an elite community member
Quote:
I want to do this because 12k miles staggered per set of wheels compared to 40k miles per set of all season compound if you can rotate. My 07 IS 250 came with 140 treadwear summer compound. I think the savings is worth it.
Could be, but it may have other consequences, see here:
Dunlop Tires | Care & Maintenance | Rim width and aspect ratio

This is some very good information here as well, look about 3/4 down the page under the section "rim width range":
Tire Tech - Tire Specs Explained

Hambone . . . hmm, I wonder who that could be?
rtp300 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Old 08-06-2007, 07:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks, but I have already been to these sites. This information has been around for about 30 years or more. There is allot of grey area with the dynamics of tires. Just the air pressure of a tire can change the dynamics. All tread and side wall compounds have to go through some type of hysteresis testing. Look at the racing industry on how they change dynamics to get the most out of tires. Why would a measure rim width of 8.0 be approved by the tire industry standards but you can place a 7.5-8.0-8.5 tire width on the rim. I know if I was racing on a track I would look for perfection in my tires. One thing for sure, I am not racing my IS 250. I would like this car to look good with a wide tire and get mileage (be able to rotate).

The different between the IS 250 staggered front and rear is 0.9" (Bridgestone Front 225/40R18 Dia 25.1 and Rear 255/40R18 Dia 26.0). Notice that I am using Bridgestone diameter tires because if you use another manufacture recommended staggered pair the front and rear diameter may be plus or minus 0.1 or .02 (i.e. grey area). From my calculations using a tire diameter of 25.6 on the front and back, I would only loose about 800 miles after driving the car 50,000 miles and instead of 80 mph odometer display, I would be doing 79 mph actual.

rtp300 . . . hmm, I wonder who that could be?
Old 08-09-2007, 02:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Boogs27 is an unknown at this point
Quote:
Thanks, but I have already been to these sites. This information has been around for about 30 years or more. There is allot of grey area with the dynamics of tires. Just the air pressure of a tire can change the dynamics. All tread and side wall compounds have to go through some type of hysteresis testing. Look at the racing industry on how they change dynamics to get the most out of tires. Why would a measure rim width of 8.0 be approved by the tire industry standards but you can place a 7.5-8.0-8.5 tire width on the rim. I know if I was racing on a track I would look for perfection in my tires. One thing for sure, I am not racing my IS 250. I would like this car to look good with a wide tire and get mileage (be able to rotate).

The different between the IS 250 staggered front and rear is 0.9" (Bridgestone Front 225/40R18 Dia 25.1 and Rear 255/40R18 Dia 26.0). Notice that I am using Bridgestone diameter tires because if you use another manufacture recommended staggered pair the front and rear diameter may be plus or minus 0.1 or .02 (i.e. grey area). From my calculations using a tire diameter of 25.6 on the front and back, I would only loose about 800 miles after driving the car 50,000 miles and instead of 80 mph odometer display, I would be doing 79 mph actual.

rtp300 . . . hmm, I wonder who that could be?
I have an is 250 with a 19x8.5 all around. Its fine just make sure the thread size is matched to what you have now.
I only matched the sizes cause they came of an evo5 my freind just got ride of.
It will work, I feel like the ass is easier to whip around sometimes though. Buy the staggered fitment i want to upgrade to the 19x10.5 for the rear... maybe in the spring
Old 08-09-2007, 07:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

sinister2c is famous around these partssinister2c is famous around these partssinister2c is famous around these partssinister2c is famous around these partssinister2c is famous around these partssinister2c is famous around these partssinister2c is famous around these parts
thats working backwards...the reason i got a RWD car was to have a staggered tire and wheel setup.

You can always replace the same size tire in a higher wear rating compound. There are many out there so you don't have to get the soft ass stock tires.

Quote:
sinister2c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

my.IS - Lexus IS Forum > 2nd-Gen IS250/IS350 > Wheels and Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the my.IS - Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)