IS250 Rear Brakes Replacement - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

IS250 Rear Brakes Replacement

I have a 2007 IS250 and recently tried replacing the brake pads. The front brakes were extremely easy. However, when trying to replace the rear pads I hit a wall. Here is the process I used.

1.) Removed tire
2.) Removed clip attached to the two primary caliper pins
3.) Removed 2nd clip (kinda shaped like a W)
4.) Removed inner and outer pads
5.) Compressed piston
6.) Installed inner pad
* now here is where I got stuck.
There was not enough space between the rotor and the caliper to install the new outer pad. There was more than enough room for the inner pad, but I couldn't figure out a way to create move space between the rotor and outer caliper wall to install the outer pad.

Does anyone know what I did wrong or how to slide the caliper outward to create more room?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I know this is an old thread but I came across the same issue - you probably got it resolved by now, but what you described sounds like the slide pin in the caliper is seized. If you're facing the car/brake rotor, you should be able to pull on the caliper towards you and it should move enough to let you slide the new outer pad into place. For me, it was a piece of cake on the driver's side (my car is an 06 is250), since that caliper was recently replaced as part of a recall for the exact problem I described above. The passenger side, however, has the seized pin. I posted in a few forums looking for help, and will also contact a Lexus dealer sometime this week to try and get a resolution. I don't want one side with new pads and one side with old pads for very long, even though the old ones haven't quite hit the wear indicator yet.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domnf15 View Post
I know this is an old thread but I came across the same issue - you probably got it resolved by now, but what you described sounds like the slide pin in the caliper is seized. If you're facing the car/brake rotor, you should be able to pull on the caliper towards you and it should move enough to let you slide the new outer pad into place. For me, it was a piece of cake on the driver's side (my car is an 06 is250), since that caliper was recently replaced as part of a recall for the exact problem I described above. The passenger side, however, has the seized pin. I posted in a few forums looking for help, and will also contact a Lexus dealer sometime this week to try and get a resolution. I don't want one side with new pads and one side with old pads for very long, even though the old ones haven't quite hit the wear indicator yet.
My 2006 IS350 rear caliper seized and I'm quoted new calipers, pads, and re-maching my rotors. $1,100 parts and labour.

Can you provide me with the recall number which provide you with the replacement calipers?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I'm not sure if the 350 uses the same rear caliper as the 250. You can go to the dealer and tell them you saw on the Lexus forums that there is a TSB/recall and see if it applies to your car. Unless it's under extended warranty I'm not even sure they'll do it for free. By the way, you can buy the caliper for $100, the pads for around $50 and have the rotors machined at your local parts store or machine shop for $20 each. An independent mechanic might charge $300 for labor. It's not a difficult job if you know how to bleed the brake line after installing the new caliper.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domnf15 View Post
I'm not sure if the 350 uses the same rear caliper as the 250. You can go to the dealer and tell them you saw on the Lexus forums that there is a TSB/recall and see if it applies to your car. Unless it's under extended warranty I'm not even sure they'll do it for free. By the way, you can buy the caliper for $100, the pads for around $50 and have the rotors machined at your local parts store or machine shop for $20 each. An independent mechanic might charge $300 for labor. It's not a difficult job if you know how to bleed the brake line after installing the new caliper.
Thank you, kind sir. The Lexus dealership is asking for those new calipers, pads, and labour, so I'm going to do it myself. I'll start with pads first and confirm which side needs the new caliper (I don't want to spend money where it's not needed), and then I'll change accordingly. My friends tell me that I can get around the seized caliper by lubing it or something, so I'll see if I can play with it tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 2nd-Gen IS250/IS350 > Stop, Drop and Roll

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page