User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Follower

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

V160 Companion Flange Bolts

I wasn't really sure where to post this but I figured most that have the V160 trans are probably boosted or looking to "Go Faster"

I bought a used V160 like many of us do and I'm rebuilding it myself. It needed a new intermediate case and bellhousing.

Anyway here's my question, The companion flange is supposed to have pressed in studs or bolts and mine didn't come with any. I'm sure that I'm not the only one that has had this issue. Those of you that were in the same scenario what kind of bolts did you use to bolt the companion flange to the drive shaft? I'm afraid that if they aren't pressed in there is the possibility of them vibrating loose (supposedly that's what happened to the previous owner).

Should I just buy a new companion flange that has the studs already in it? I know you can't buy the studs separately from the flange as I've already talked to Curt at Elmhurst about this.

Thanks in advance,

Jay

It's got the heart of a "Silver Monster".

410whp on a mustang dyno @ Big3 in OH tuned by, Me.
:(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Follower

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Sorry, I meant to post this in the Gen 1 IS300 Go Faster section

It's got the heart of a "Silver Monster".

410whp on a mustang dyno @ Big3 in OH tuned by, Me.
:(
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 05:18 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

There are 11mm and you will not be able to find them without purchasing the flange.

I went to NaPa Auto parts and looked through their bolts catalogue and found a standard size with non-threaded part to press into the flange. They were too long though so I put the nut on and cut to the correct length, backed the nut off and they were perfect!

Good Luck

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 10:52 AM
Enthusiast

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)

There is a similar discussion somewhere in the gen 1 side.

Those bolts are factory pressed in and then the unit appears to be balanced with a couple of holes drilled like they do on flywheels. I don't have a picture of my flange, but example of what I'm talking about on a flywheel below. It's likely not enough of a change for harmful vibration, but I decided to go for a new factory flange to reduce any vibration. 170 mph in a MK4 back in the day when the shop I was at was racing, you could pretty much balance a dime on the shifter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 2nd-Gen IS250/IS350 > Go Faster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page