User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

ISx50 ~ Revision ~ S/C

Just thought I'd share this here as well for those that dont frequent another Lexus forum.

Nothing new, just another supercharger on a car thats not meant to be fast. :uh: Thats not entirely accurate in that this isnt a "kit" S/C build and the IS350 is kind of sort of fast at 5.5 - 7 psi! Respect to the guys who have ventured down this path but its time to add more names to the list. I've come from a long history of car A.D.D. and customization on various platforms. I have in my possession a 2006 IS350 that I've decided to tear into and make my own at the cost of some blood, sweat and $.

The fact is these cars are becoming more and more affordable as the years and miles add up. At some point, we are bound to see more tuners finding themselves in this car and wanting to achieve more power and "fun" factor if you will. For me, its not about $ per $ gain, all out speed, etc.; its about enjoying the car and wanting just a bit more power from it with all the reliability Toyota intended. Having said that I'm sure the hating will surface but too bad, I'm doing what I want because I can.

Goal is simple; I really dont have an end goal... My one stipulation is that the car will remain 100% factory in terms of all accessory function, no CELs and complete drivibility in all aspects. I have started out with a centrifugal supercharger originally badged as a C1 Procharger. I've overhauled the blower with ceramic bearings, new flange, seals and blasted gear/shaft. These little blowers are actually quite nice but not so much at the price tag ATI wants to sell them at...more on that later.

Any way, I started out by observing the car's behavior on 5 lbs of boost just like LMS did some time ago. I've made several adjustments in terms of pulley sizing and of course meth/water injection. I'm also running a larger FMIC and other piping tweaks. It was quite a struggle to bridge the gap from 5.5 psi to 7psi but I have it figured out and the car is exactly where I want it as far as feel and butt dyno. The stock ECU in one word is amazing. This car handles 7lbs of boost like it came that way from the factory. The stock ecu does everything right in terms of compensating for the added air. The only thing its overly sensitive with (and this is a good thing for most) is knock....knock detection is spot on and the ecu completely cuts to prevent damages. Too much of anything and you will knock!!

For the time being, above is my intro. I'll let the updates and pictures do the talking in the very near future. I'm crunched for time with work and family but I have a lot of pics to share. Also have a few other ideas that will prove out right or wrong in which I'll share as I encounter.

For now heres some blower work. This is a C2 Supercharger I acquired prior to my C1 that needed over haul.

Necessary tools include a bearing puller/seperator and *ton press. Theres no way in hell you can complete this without a press. :egads:

Inside of a C2 with bad bearings...it "looks" fine...

But wait, arent there supposed to be ball bearings inside of this cage? Its a bearing with a flange with a bearing inside,,but no balls! LOL

More missing balls! :eek2:
New bearings on top-

All new bearings and seals straight from the source. Dont pay marked up prices from "Rebuilders" as these parts are easy to locate if you know what to search for!

Pressing on fresh ABEC-7 bearings

All new bearings installed and gears properly cleaned!

New viton CR seal vs inferior nitrile-

Random pics as I started digging into the various pieces parts of the install:

Oil catch can needing modified for giant sized hose our motors use

FMIC mounting mock up

Synapse BOV tucks nicely

Assortment of billet spacers I had cnc'd by my machinist

Which coolingmist tank can I fit in the engine bay!? I ended up with a 4qt. (not pictured)

Major milestone***S/C mounting bracket final alignment with spacers and studs-

And oh yes look at that perfect alignment of pulleys!

IS350 062 S/C
back to boost @ 372 whp
Stay Tuned
IS3 2JZ-GTE VVT-i
-Final tear down SOLD-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Addict

Tending to more piping....At first I had the compressor outlet clocked at 11 and piping up top. Decided to go with a 6:30 and squeeze the pipes under the front sway bar. Even with a 4ply coupler (pretty thick), everything fits and clears.

Also, dont hate on the red...I didnt have time to strip and polish...this C1 came from a Mustang owner who liked to (huff)- paint. LOL

Piping requires brake ducts to be hacked into.

I started with just a 3.5" diameter cutout to fit the TB pipe but decided just to remove the entire piece for additional flexibility.

Braille battery, revamped ( - ) wiring and battery tray to fit 4 qt. meth tank.

Vacuum lines galore using two spots - one for BOV and one shared for the boost gauge and meth sensor.
I'm using a Ford SHO vacuum distribution block instead of a $60 one that does the same thing.

Pulleys and two smallest Gates 6rib belts-

Will continue uploading more pics

IS350 062 S/C
back to boost @ 372 whp
Stay Tuned
IS3 2JZ-GTE VVT-i
-Final tear down SOLD-
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 04:18 PM
Lurker

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

very very nice love the pics, debating on doing the same thing to my 250 I know I know just sell it and buy a 350, ive been playing with the though of Buying a 350 front clip I can get them cheap enough around here and swap the whole thing myself, i'm experienced enough to do it.

but it would be easier just to supercharge it the 12-1 compression ratio sucks but i'm sure I could run just abit more water/meth to offset the knock

2007 Arctic white IS250|HSD Coilovers|ings+1 full lip kit|Varrstoen wheels|Fujita Short ram| Fujitsubo Catback|Hid Kit|tinted Headlights|Full red tail lights...

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 10:05 PM

This is by far the best forum post I've read about FI for the 2/4GR FSE.

I just bought a 2011 4GR FSE and am dying from the lack of power. I've read a bunch of posts on Club Lexus about boosting a 2IS (haven't been too impressed with the knowledge base around A/F issues) and have learned a few things.

Where can I purchase the same S/C as you and how much would it cost?

Also, with regard to the tubing and pulley size. Do you have specific dimensions for those components? How did you determine what the optimal dimensions were?

What about combating for the lean burn setup. Does the stock ECU map to 7PSI without running too lean? There was a long post written by someone from Greece who was running to lean with his stock ECU and it wasn't clear how he combated that.

Just like you, I don't want any CELs and I want the catalytic converter to last.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 10:10 PM

One more question. I went on Prochargers website and surprise surprise, I was unable to find a model specific kit. Which one did you purchase?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 02:12 PM
Altruist

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

wow 2012 posted and ends till now a 2015 post. what happen he blew his car up ?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Wow, this is so old. I boosted quite a few is350s over the years using a different design and Rotrex c38-71. Boosted an isf as well. It's all pretty well documented on ******** (another forum).

I believe one of the isx50 has well over 30,000 miles on 7lbs. To say it's not 100% reliable nor worth the $ is dead wrong.

Before I sold my car it was making 372whp
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 02:56 PM
Altruist

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkellucci View Post
Wow, this is so old. I boosted quite a few is350s over the years using a different design and Rotrex c38-71. Boosted an isf as well. It's all pretty well documented on ******** (another forum).

I believe one of the isx50 has well over 30,000 miles on 7lbs. To say it's not 100% reliable nor worth the $ is dead wrong.

Before I sold my car it was making 372whp
THANK YOU for coming back on...i saw this thread pop up and was wondering what happen.. good to know you're still alive. i been back on here trolling around to figure out a good supercharger setup for my gs350. but still trying to figure out about tunning. any input will be grateful

IMPACT PERORMANCE.......ENDLESS PROJECTS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 2nd-Gen IS250/IS350 > Go Faster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page