LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 01:03 PM
Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanH View Post
This is not correct, ROM's of all descriptions can be read with a reader or on the bench. That include mask programed ROM's, EPROM's, Program once EPROM's, EEPROM's etc etc .

The only time we needed to go into the chip is to diagnose failures or back Engineer the design or process of a competitor, then Auger and electron microscopes are used.
So this is what I posted...

Really Simple.

So you are allowed to make incorrect statements and have people believe things that aren't true because your incorrect statements were off-topic !!!

You are sounding more paranoid by the minute.

2004 IS300 MSM LSD Manual ..Hail damage written-off so now grand daughters car
2003 Pathfinder SE 4WD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 01:54 PM
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightshade View Post
Again, the actual information in the post (as related to the topic of the thread) was entirely correct. Read-only access, possible by disassembling parts off of the ECU, would in no way be helpful to what folks are trying to accomplish here... you've yet to explain why it would be.

The only "non-sense" here has been your posts.

The ECU can't be "cracked" in the sense the poster was asking about, many functions can not be changed at all, and the system overall is encrypted in ways that not only make it extremely difficult to try and work around, but would make it illegal under DCMA to try and reverse engineer your way around.

The post in question went on about some other issues that had been asked in the thread too, which I suspect you understand even less than these items, but the overall point being my post correctly addressed the questions raised by the thread, and you have, as usual, offered absolutely nothing of value to the thread of any relevance to the topic by posting in it.

Lemme help you out even! Here's the bit I was reponding to regarding the ECU:

Since you admit that killing the fusable links makes the PROM non-writeable, in what way would yanking the chips off of the ECU and reading them on other hardware help the poster accomplish what he is asking about?

What? It woudn't? Then why bring up being able to do so? Especially YEARS after he asked the question?

I'd love to see a sane and relevant answer to that...

Feel free to post another content-free rant though.
NO!! Get it right !!!

you said

Quote:

Many of the functions of the ECU are physically burned onto the PROMS so you'd need an electron microscope to even read the programming
I said this isn't true !!! and it isn't !!!

2003 Pathfinder SE 4WD
post #63 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 02:20 PM
Extremist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Again, in what way is which device you need to read the PROM (an electron microscope or an external PROM reader) at all relevant to the actual question asked or the answer given?

In either case you can't write to the chip, and thus can't make changes to it, and thus can't remove the checks for functions the car no longer has.

Thus, the substance of the answer was accurate, and the substance of every single post you continue to make is non-existent.

You also seem to not understand what the word "paranoid" means... kinda like you didn't understand what a "heat sink" was in the other thread... or understand that you were caught in a lie about having multiple positive reps about your posts in that other thread because you didn't realize others could see your rep and realize that wasn't true either.

post #64 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 02:43 PM
Addict

Quote:
Again, in what way is which device you need to read the PROM (an electron microscope or an external PROM reader) at all relevant to the actual question asked or the answer given?

In either case you can't write to the chip, and thus can't make changes to it, and thus can't remove the checks for functions the car no longer has.

Thus, the substance of the answer was accurate, and the substance of every single post you continue to make is non-existent.

You also seem to not understand what the word "paranoid" means... kinda like you didn't understand what a "heat sink" was in the other thread... or understand that you were caught in a lie about having multiple positive reps about your posts in that other thread because you didn't realize others could see your rep and realize that wasn't true either.

So you are wrong again, and you then start again with your personal attacks.

So lets recap,

You were wrong, you didn't say anything about reading the ROM with a reader.... only you couldn't without an Electron microscope...

This is wrong, you realize it and are squirming like crazy again, with all sorts of non-sense...

2003 Pathfinder SE 4WD
post #65 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 02:44 PM
Addict

BTW ROM means "Read Only Memory"

2003 Pathfinder SE 4WD
post #66 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 02:51 PM
Extremist

Quote:
So you are wrong again, and you then start again with your personal attacks.

So lets recap,

You were wrong, you didn't say anything about reading the ROM with a reader.... only you couldn't without an Electron microscope...

This is wrong, you realize it and are squirming like crazy again, with all sorts of non-sense...

Again, in what way does a change in the device required to read it have anything at all to do with addressing the actual problem the OP was asking about? You know, since reading it with an EM or reading on the bench will produce exactly the same amount of progress toward solving this posters issue.

If you'd like an example of actually, totally, and completely "wrong" though it would be for example when you claimed steel made a better heat sink than iron...because you didn't understand what a heat sink was.

or when you claimed you had multiple positive rep comments regarding the brake thread when anyone could easily view that you did not.

Or any of the myriad other times you've been in error about basic elements of fact.

Rather than address those, or try to do some learning so you'd actually have something relevant and correct to add to a future thread for once, you apparently spent your time scouring years and years of my posts, finally going back several years to find one in which the relevant part of my answer I gave was entirely correct, but there was an additional way in which one could have read the data on the PROM (which would in no way change the substance of the answer).

That's... frighteningly sad...

And kinda makes me think I'm gonna eventually need a restraining order involving you...

But again, do you have anything at all of value to contribute here? Anything that might actually help the folks asking the original questions in the thread?
post #67 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 02:56 PM
Addict

Quote:
Again, in what way does a change in the device required to read it have anything at all to do with addressing the actual problem the OP was asking about? You know, since reading it with an EM or reading on the bench will produce exactly the same amount of progress toward solving this posters issue.

If you'd like an example of actually, totally, and completely "wrong" though it would be for example when you claimed steel made a better heat sink than iron...because you didn't understand what a heat sink was.

or when you claimed you had multiple positive rep comments regarding the brake thread when anyone could easily view that you did not.

Or any of the myriad other times you've been in error about basic elements of fact.

Rather than address those, or try to do some learning so you'd actually have something relevant and correct to add to a future thread for once, you apparently spent your time scouring years and years of my posts, finally going back several years to find one in which the basic answer I gave was entirely correct, but there was an additional way in which one could have read the data on the PROM (which would in no way change the substance of the answer).

That's... frighteningly sad...

And kinda makes me think I'm gonna eventually need a restraining order involving you...

But again, do you have anything at all of value to contribute here? Anything that might actually help the folks asking the original questions in the thread?
And this has anything to do with what you wrote in this thread...

You said...

Quote:

Many of the functions of the ECU are physically burned onto the PROMS so you'd need an electron microscope to even read the programming
And this is not correct... Simple...

You don't understand what you write half the time, miss-quote what people do write and brow beat anyone that has any other opinion.

2003 Pathfinder SE 4WD
post #68 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 02:59 PM
Extremist

Quote:
BTW ROM means "Read Only Memory"
And PROM means PROGRAMMABLE read only memory.

But you can't do that once the links are burned as they are in this case.

FYI, eeprom means electrically erasable read only memory... those you'd actually be able to make changes to, but aren't the ones being discussed in the Lexus ECU.

If you need any more basic terms explained lemme know!

(obsession might be a good one for you to learn!)

if you've got anything at all to post that would actually address the topic in the post, or in any way help anybody that has asked questions here, that'd be great too (albeit highly surprising)

Last edited by Knightshade; 07-21-2010 at 03:18 PM.
post #69 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 03:05 PM
Extremist

BTW, did I miss where your magic bench somehow gets to read all the other ECU programming despite the encryption?

Because if not it makes your posts even less relevant, which I admit I hadn't thought possible.
post #70 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 03:08 PM
Addict

Quote:
BTW, did I miss where your magic bench somehow gets to read all the other ECU programming despite the encryption?

Because if not it makes your posts even less relevant, which I admit I hadn't thought possible.
Now you really are showing your ignorance.

You still cant swallow that you made an incorrect statement can you !!!

2003 Pathfinder SE 4WD
post #71 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 03:11 PM
Addict

Quote:
And PROM means PROGRAMMABLE read only memory.

But you can't do that once the links are burned as they are in this case.

FYI, eeprom means electrically erasable read only memory... those you'd actually be able to make changes to, but aren't the ones being discussed in the Lexus ECU.

If you need any more basic terms explained lemme know!

if you've got anything at all to post that would actually address the topic in the post, or in any way help anybody that has asked questions here, that'd be great too (albeit highly surprising)
Of course once its programed its not changeable !!! Funny that !!

I was addressing your incorrect statement, and nothing else.

Let me remind you that you do this to everyone all the time.

2003 Pathfinder SE 4WD
post #72 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 03:12 PM
Extremist

Quote:
Now you really are showing your ignorance.

How?

And please be specific, because it'd be great if finally had something of value to say here.
post #73 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 03:16 PM
Addict

Quote:
How?

And please be specific, because it'd be great if finally had something of value to say here.
Specifically testing a memory chip on a tester or bench.

Nothing to do with Drug Stores or Magic..

2003 Pathfinder SE 4WD
post #74 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 03:17 PM
Extremist

Quote:
Specifically testing a memory chip on a tester or bench.

Nothing to do with Drug Stores or Magic..
And nothing to do with the actual question I asked regarding encryption.

I should've known better than to expect any useful information though... my bad!
post #75 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 03:32 PM
Extremist

Garage
awesome!

2005 MSM Sportcross: 4/10/09-12/4/13-Gone but Never Forgotten
2012 VW Sportwagen TDI
2014 Subaru Forester XT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 2nd-Gen IS250/IS350 > Go Faster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page