IS350 motor into IS250. - Page 4 - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 02:17 AM
Follower

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If you're doing something that's genuinely stupid, then you won't likely care what kind of facts a rational person presents you with.

Turbocharging a 2GR-FSE is something that can apparently be done, but you'd need to do it right for it to work well. In any case, it'll likely reduce the lifespan of the engine since it's a high compression engine that was designed to be used naturally aspirated, as it is in the IS350's configuration. If someone wants to do that with their money, it's stupid, but it's their money. But then, to do that job right, you'd go past the price of the superior-in-every-way IS-F, so what's the point?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 06:48 AM
Extremist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edpitkin View Post
So what if its a stupid thing to do. Its their shit, their money if they wanna waste it so be it. He doesn't have to harp on the same shit over and over again just tell them once and leave it be. Just like he told me turbocharging an Is350 wasn't plausible running more then 5 psi, he was full of it. The cars running 7.5 psi on the street with 93 octane fuel and doing just find. And yes it has a couple thousand into but the customer loves his car and was happy with the way it turned out.

My point is just because ppl have crazy even stupid ideas doesn't mean he has the right to talk to them like they are retards.

First, I never actually said any of the BS you suggest I said.

You'd probably find me less of an idiot if you actually read what I actually said.

I never said boosting the car was impossible, just a terrible return on investment.

TOMs sells a kit in Japan that runs 5.8 psi, and has for years, so I certainly never told you you can't run more than 5 psi either.

Though IIRC we haven't actually seen any evidence of this 7.5 psi turbo car, other than one post from a guy saying he was running a turbo kit.

I'm sure many here would be very interested to know the details of the kit, what design, development, and testing you did, see dynos, air/fuel ratios at full boost, etc. That would certainly be a much more useful contribution to the forum than you calling people names and putting words into their mouths they never said. Give it a shot!

It'll be especially interesting to see some of the dyno and air/fuel data since the couple of guys with LMS kits that have upped the boost to 7.5 psi are finding significant fuel problems at that boost level...to the point they haven't safely been able to drive the cars yet. Very curious what you ran into and how you solved it in your build.
post #48 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightshade View Post
First, I never actually said any of the BS you suggest I said.

You'd probably find me less of an idiot if you actually read what I actually said.

I never said boosting the car was impossible, just a terrible return on investment.

TOMs sells a kit in Japan that runs 5.8 psi, and has for years, so I certainly never told you you can't run more than 5 psi either.

Though IIRC we haven't actually seen any evidence of this 7.5 psi turbo car, other than one post from a guy saying he was running a turbo kit.

I'm sure many here would be very interested to know the details of the kit, what design, development, and testing you did, see dynos, air/fuel ratios at full boost, etc. That would certainly be a much more useful contribution to the forum than you calling people names and putting words into their mouths they never said. Give it a shot!

It'll be especially interesting to see some of the dyno and air/fuel data since the couple of guys with LMS kits that have upped the boost to 7.5 psi are finding significant fuel problems at that boost level...to the point they haven't safely been able to drive the cars yet. Very curious what you ran into and how you solved it in your build.
Well as for the fuel issue. An AFC was piggy backed into the system. And as soon as I get a chance to do it there will be dyno charts w/ A/F ratios with a video. And as for price. The guy has about $4500 into the whole set up.

post #49 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 10:41 PM

just drop a supra motor into it then you'll be happy
post #50 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 07:27 AM
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakkrick View Post
just drop a supra motor into it then you'll be happy
Well, as long as you're happy with almost nothing factory in the car working...
post #51 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 07:55 AM
Addict

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:

Many of the functions of the ECU are physically burned onto the PROMS so you'd need an electron microscope to even read the programming
This is not correct, ROM's of all descriptions can be read with a reader or on the bench. That include mask programed ROM's, EPROM's, Program once EPROM's, EEPROM's etc etc .

The only time we needed to go into the chip is to diagnose failures or back Engineer the design or process of a competitor, then Auger and electron microscopes are used.

2004 IS300 MSM LSD Manual ..Hail damage written-off so now grand daughters car
2003 Pathfinder SE 4WD
post #52 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 11:20 AM
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanH View Post
This is not correct, ROM's of all descriptions can be read with a reader or on the bench. That include mask programed ROM's, EPROM's, Program once EPROM's, EEPROM's etc etc .

The only time we needed to go into the chip is to diagnose failures or back Engineer the design or process of a competitor, then Auger and electron microscopes are used.

No, it is correct.

Club Lexus Forums - View Single Post - So if no boost then what?

Quote:
The problem isn't the encryption, the problem is they load the main program into PROM, then burn the fusible links to that PROM so you can't see the main program at all without an electron microscope.

And just to follow up the other bit in this thread- Ed Pitkin later posted in another thread that that boosted 350 he built blew the motor...

Kinda like I said it would running much more than 7 psi for any length of time.

Last edited by Knightshade; 07-21-2010 at 11:26 AM.
post #53 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 11:43 AM
Addict

Quote:
No it isn't.

If the ROM array is readable by the processor then it can be read on the bench.
Yes you can blow fusible links to stop writing over the written code, so it cant be modified. Its no use to anybody if you cant read it electrically.

2003 Pathfinder SE 4WD
post #54 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 11:49 AM
Extremist

Quote:
No it isn't.

If the ROM array is readable by the processor then it can be read on the bench.
Yes you can blow fusible links to stop writing over the written code, so it cant be modified. Its no use to anybody if you cant read it electrically.

What, pulling each PROM out of the ECU unit and individually reading it?

I'm curious what use that is if it can't be changed, in the context of trying to modify the ECU programming (which was the actual conversation) (or how it avoids any of the DMCA issues that would be involved in trying to get past the toyota encryption to reverse engineer the programming)

Seriously, go back and read my entire original post, then explain how anything you have said is in any way useful to the situation actually under discussion.
post #55 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 11:57 AM
Addict

Quote:
What, pulling each PROM out of the ECU unit and individually reading it?
Yes. That's how its done, I guess you don't know that.

Your statement was incorrect, you can read any ROM without an Electron Microscope !!!

2003 Pathfinder SE 4WD
post #56 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 12:18 PM
Extremist

Quote:
Yes. That's how its done, I guess you don't know that.

Your statement was incorrect, you can read any ROM without an Electron Microscope !!!

So... you bumped a post from two years ago to try and bring something up that had absolutely no bearing on and was absolutely no help whatsoever to the actual problem under discussion?

(and yes, I knew how it was done, hence why I asked if that's what you were suggesting... because I couldn't figure out how disassembling an ECU would be in any way helpful to what we were discussing so your suggestion made no sense whatsoever toward addressing the issue.... and indeed, it's not helpful at all... but you posting things that aren't at all helpful or relevant seems to be your standard MO.

So as I keep asking in seemingly every thread you post in these days, do you have anything useful, relevant, or helpful to the actual topic of the post to contribute?

Anything at all?

Last edited by Knightshade; 07-21-2010 at 12:33 PM.
post #57 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 12:36 PM
Addict

Quote:
So... you bumped a post from two years ago to try and bring something up that had absolutely no bearing on and was absolutely no help whatsoever to the actual problem under discussion?

(and yes, I knew how it was done, hence why I asked if that's what you were suggesting... because I couldn't figure out how disassembling an ECU would be in any way helpful to what we were discussing so your suggestion made no sense whatsoever.... and indeed, it's not helpful at all... but you posting things that aren't at all helpful or relevant seems to be your standard MO.

So as I keep asking in seemingly every thread you post in these days, do you have anything useful, relevant, or helpful to the actual topic of the post to contribute?

Anything at all?
Correcting your wrong information that's all !!!

2003 Pathfinder SE 4WD
post #58 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 12:40 PM
Extremist

Quote:
Correcting your wrong information that's all !!!
But none of my information relevant to the topic was actually wrong.

And nothing you've added to the thread was in any way useful, helpful, or the least bit relevant to what the people in it were asking about or trying to do.

It'd be like if, say, some random person asked a doctor how to cure their mental illness that caused them to troll 2-year-old posts looking to nitpick irrelevant elements...

and the doctor told them to go to the pharmacy that was 4 blocks away, and then gave them detailed instructions that would go 4 pages long, on exactly what to do with the drugs they would obtain there.

And you burst into the room to yell at the doctor because while you had no idea how to help the patient, and didn't even understand most of the words the doctor used, the pharmacy was REALLY only 3.5 blocks away....

That's pretty much what you did... but it made it even sadder, you burst into the room 2 years after the conversation happened to announce it.

Last edited by Knightshade; 07-21-2010 at 12:45 PM.
post #59 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 12:46 PM
Addict

You made a factually incorrect statement.... grow up !!!

Why would anyone pass that over and ignore it when its not true.
This leads to people actually believing your non-sense.

So why do you say all this non-sense if by your own admission it was nothing to do with the thread !!!

And you have the audacity to accuse others of going off topic !!!

2003 Pathfinder SE 4WD
post #60 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 12:55 PM
Extremist

Quote:
You made a factually incorrect statement.... grow up !!!

Why would anyone pass that over and ignore it when its not true.
This leads to people actually believing your non-sense.

So why do you say all this non-sense if by your own admission it was nothing to do with the thread !!!

And you have the audacity to accuse others of going off topic !!!
Again, the actual information in the post (as related to the topic of the thread) was entirely correct. Read-only access, possible by disassembling parts off of the ECU, would in no way be helpful to what folks are trying to accomplish here... you've yet to explain why it would be.

The only "non-sense" here has been your posts.

The ECU can't be "cracked" in the sense the poster was asking about, many functions can not be changed at all, and the system overall is encrypted in ways that not only make it extremely difficult to try and work around, but would make it illegal under DCMA to try and reverse engineer your way around.

The post in question went on about some other issues that had been asked in the thread too, which I suspect you understand even less than these items, but the overall point being my post correctly addressed the questions raised by the thread, and you have, as usual, offered absolutely nothing of value to the thread of any relevance to the topic by posting in it.

Lemme help you out even! Here's the bit I was reponding to regarding the ECU:

Quote:
From that point you would have the joy of getting someone to crack the computer and disable the various features your car won't have.
Since you admit that killing the fusable links makes the PROM non-writeable, in what way would yanking the chips off of the ECU and reading them on other hardware help the poster accomplish what he is asking about?

What? It woudn't? Then why bring up being able to do so? Especially YEARS after he asked the question?

I'd love to see a sane and relevant answer to that...

Feel free to post another content-free rant though.

Last edited by Knightshade; 07-21-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 2nd-Gen IS250/IS350 > Go Faster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page