IS250 2JZ VVT-i finally up and runnin!!!! - Page 2 - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 11:36 AM
Extremist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,052
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
           
I saw the video... (which looked like it had several dash lights still on after starting) and it showed the pushbutton start working.... that's not the same as the whole smartkey/security system working... which is why I asked.

Obviously not everything works like factory... I don't believe TC still could work same as factory without the original motor for example but the driver probably wouldn't care about it... there's possibly other things, depending on what they actually did to get the rest to work (ie is the original ECU still in the car at all? if so what is it being told is happening?)

What transmission is in there? is it the V160 in your sig or is there an auto in there? (mentioning the paddle shifters but having a V160 in your sig is what confuses me there)


(and please don't mistake my questions for anything negative, great job on getting this working, it's certainly lightyears ahead of any of the other conversions that have been attempted just by getting it to start/run and have working gauges and AC).
Knightshade is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 11:43 AM
Loyalist
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,713
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
Garage
Whoa!!! This is awesome!!! Congrats. Can't wait to see it on the road. Get some videos.

Joe-Z|Blitz LM|Apexi WS2|Stance GR+|FIGS
Turbo East|BC Stage 2|TITAN (-4)|B&M|NGK|ARP Studs|PLP|RMM
XXR 521|Ichiba|GROM|3K HID Fogs|JDM Smoked Altezza Grill|BP Emblems
Is300_4life is offline  
post #18 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 12:03 PM
Ninja?
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: uʍop ǝpısdn
Posts: 16,050
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightshade View Post
I saw the video... (which looked like it had several dash lights still on after starting) and it showed the pushbutton start working.... that's not the same as the whole smartkey/security system working... which is why I asked.

Obviously not everything works like factory... I don't believe TC still could work same as factory without the original motor for example but the driver probably wouldn't care about it... there's possibly other things, depending on what they actually did to get the rest to work (ie is the original ECU still in the car at all? if so what is it being told is happening?)

What transmission is in there? is it the V160 in your sig or is there an auto in there? (mentioning the paddle shifters but having a V160 in your sig is what confuses me there)


(and please don't mistake my questions for anything negative, great job on getting this working, it's certainly lightyears ahead of any of the other conversions that have been attempted just by getting it to start/run and have working gauges and AC).
Hey Kurt,

It's not The-IS's car, it's Lance (Toyomoto) that owns the car and probably built the car. Either way, it's kinda exciting to see.

And yeah guys, Knightshade never said it was impossible. Just said that upgrading to an IS350 would be much cheaper and much more reliable.

©2006 my.IS
2015 F32 w/ N55 Alpine White
DO SUSPENSION FIRST!
kayotik is offline  
 
post #19 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 12:25 PM
Guru
 
rllinghardis300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Killa Kali
Posts: 7,122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
           
wow...wonder why he used an auto instead of the 6 speed all-wheel?
rllinghardis300 is offline  
post #20 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 01:10 PM
Sofa King Awesome
 
EyeEss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 3,603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
congratulations, you are officially driving the sexiest 2 IS. Regardless of what anyone says you remember that.

'10 Solid Red 370Z 6MT Sport
'08 Obsidian IS250 6MT - SOLD -
'04 EBP Acura RSX - SOLD -
EyeEss is offline  
post #21 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 02:16 PM
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: MY HOUSE
Posts: 1,396
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightshade View Post
I saw the video... (which looked like it had several dash lights still on after starting) and it showed the pushbutton start working.... that's not the same as the whole smartkey/security system working... which is why I asked.

Obviously not everything works like factory... I don't believe TC still could work same as factory without the original motor for example but the driver probably wouldn't care about it... there's possibly other things, depending on what they actually did to get the rest to work (ie is the original ECU still in the car at all? if so what is it being told is happening?)

What transmission is in there? is it the V160 in your sig or is there an auto in there? (mentioning the paddle shifters but having a V160 in your sig is what confuses me there)


(and please don't mistake my questions for anything negative, great job on getting this working, it's certainly lightyears ahead of any of the other conversions that have been attempted just by getting it to start/run and have working gauges and AC).
The car is Automatic and from what I know they are driving it like a stock car its a full Twin turbo VVt-i swap transmission, engine, wiring and ecu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayotik View Post
Hey Kurt,

It's not The-IS's car, it's Lance (Toyomoto) that owns the car and probably built the car. Either way, it's kinda exciting to see.
The-IS is Lance Son.
DIN300 is offline  
post #22 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Follower
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pembroke Pines, FL
Posts: 524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightshade View Post
I saw the video... (which looked like it had several dash lights still on after starting) and it showed the pushbutton start working.... that's not the same as the whole smartkey/security system working... which is why I asked.

Obviously not everything works like factory... I don't believe TC still could work same as factory without the original motor for example but the driver probably wouldn't care about it... there's possibly other things, depending on what they actually did to get the rest to work (ie is the original ECU still in the car at all? if so what is it being told is happening?)

What transmission is in there? is it the V160 in your sig or is there an auto in there? (mentioning the paddle shifters but having a V160 in your sig is what confuses me there)


(and please don't mistake my questions for anything negative, great job on getting this working, it's certainly lightyears ahead of any of the other conversions that have been attempted just by getting it to start/run and have working gauges and AC).
when you press for ignition, all the lights come on like stock. The only light that stays on after you start the car is the VSC light(look and you will see that in the video it ways "check VSC" which is "vehicle stability control"). Other than that though, there are no lights, CEL, nothing. The lights in the lower left of the dash were "door open" and "seatbelt". Light on the right is skid control(VSC). the multi function display is kinda redundant on most things.

and btw, my sig is my car. I have the turbo IS300 6-speed.. The 250 is my dad's car, not mine.

Machines Gone Wild/TOYOMOTO Turbo Kit
AEM EMS Tuned by Lance
RACELOGIC Traction Control
Getrag V160

Last edited by The-IS; 09-09-2010 at 09:39 PM.
The-IS is offline  
post #23 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 03:15 PM
Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 8,734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
You're a lucky kid, lol.
JaysonMFK is offline  
post #24 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 04:57 PM
Aficionado
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Dominican Republic-nyc-hollywood, fl
Posts: 848
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
cant wait to see the car in person


TunedByLance
Speed Injected
dominicanodcora is offline  
post #25 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 05:46 PM
Ninja?
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: uʍop ǝpısdn
Posts: 16,050
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIN300 View Post
The-IS is Lance Son.
Oh, The-IS is Lance's son? Correct punctuation would have helped a lot, bro!

©2006 my.IS
2015 F32 w/ N55 Alpine White
DO SUSPENSION FIRST!
kayotik is offline  
post #26 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 06:31 PM
Guru
 
baadhabit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: NYer in FL
Posts: 6,754
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
well its about time. ive seen more infiniti G35s swapped with 2Js and RB motors than 2nd gens. cant wait to see it in person.
baadhabit is offline  
post #27 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 08:56 PM
Extremist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,052
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
           
Ah...ok... so it's got an automatic transmission from a supra in there as well?

So stuff I would guess doesn't work anymore is VSC (confirmed it seems) and TC (which would kinda be expected with VSC being out, the whole traction computer really can't do much without the original engine/ECU.... Kinda curious the impact on ABS there since I think that normally runs through the stock 2IS traction computer but that might be only on VDIM (350 and newer 250) cars... or they could've swapped the ABS sensors and whole ABS system from a Supra I suppose to get Mk4 ABS rather than 2IS ABS... PCS would likewise not work but that's an option few 2ISes have anyway so not much loss there.

ECT-Snow I'd guess doesn't work as I don't think the supra had that mode... (the 2JZ powered IS300 did but if it's a whole TT powertrain swap it's not originally from an IS300)... ECT-Power I'd guess could still be wired up to work like the ECT button in a Supra though.

Other random stuff I'd be curious about is if they were able to retain the whole electric steering setup or if they had to swap a mechanical one in.... and did the car have memory seats/mirrors and if so do they still work as original (ie not only working normally but also working if linked to a smartkey fob, etc).... oh and what about AFS? (if it had it)


If they started with a 250 that didn't have the lux or sport package, no AFS/HIDs, and planned to swap the entire powertrain, and they accept the traction/VSC stuff won't work, then really the major challenges to a swap would be the dash (gauges, lights, climate control, nav, etc) and the smartkey system...which it sounds like they managed both to wire into working.... plus they'd have to swap some mechanical stuff in place of the electronic stuff (the drive by wire gas pedal for example won't do much to a mechanical throttle body)... and wiring the paddles up to work is extra cool stuff to have done.

If they documented the wiring work I suspect they could get a few bucks for it... (more than a few if they wanted to try selling pre-made harnesses for the conversion) or if they're feeling generous they could just publish the specs...


Still pretty curious on the cost too (in both $ and hours).... and obviously if they documented the wiring the time cost at least on future swaps would drop dramatically... but I'd understand if they'd prefer not to say on the cost.
Knightshade is offline  
post #28 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Follower
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pembroke Pines, FL
Posts: 524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightshade View Post
Ah...ok... so it's got an automatic transmission from a supra in there as well?

So stuff I would guess doesn't work anymore is VSC (confirmed it seems) and TC (which would kinda be expected with VSC being out, the whole traction computer really can't do much without the original engine/ECU.... Kinda curious the impact on ABS there since I think that normally runs through the stock 2IS traction computer but that might be only on VDIM (350 and newer 250) cars... or they could've swapped the ABS sensors and whole ABS system from a Supra I suppose to get Mk4 ABS rather than 2IS ABS... PCS would likewise not work but that's an option few 2ISes have anyway so not much loss there.

ECT-Snow I'd guess doesn't work as I don't think the supra had that mode... (the 2JZ powered IS300 did but if it's a whole TT powertrain swap it's not originally from an IS300)... ECT-Power I'd guess could still be wired up to work like the ECT button in a Supra though.

Other random stuff I'd be curious about is if they were able to retain the whole electric steering setup or if they had to swap a mechanical one in.... and did the car have memory seats/mirrors and if so do they still work as original (ie not only working normally but also working if linked to a smartkey fob, etc).... oh and what about AFS? (if it had it)


If they started with a 250 that didn't have the lux or sport package, no AFS/HIDs, and planned to swap the entire powertrain, and they accept the traction/VSC stuff won't work, then really the major challenges to a swap would be the dash (gauges, lights, climate control, nav, etc) and the smartkey system...which it sounds like they managed both to wire into working.... plus they'd have to swap some mechanical stuff in place of the electronic stuff (the drive by wire gas pedal for example won't do much to a mechanical throttle body)... and wiring the paddles up to work is extra cool stuff to have done.

If they documented the wiring work I suspect they could get a few bucks for it... (more than a few if they wanted to try selling pre-made harnesses for the conversion) or if they're feeling generous they could just publish the specs...


Still pretty curious on the cost too (in both $ and hours).... and obviously if they documented the wiring the time cost at least on future swaps would drop dramatically... but I'd understand if they'd prefer not to say on the cost.

Its a complete Aristo V300 Swap Engine, trans, wiring harness, and ecu i think
VSC doesnt work but who cares. Except for the dash prompt "check vsc" I guess its a minor trade off considering the potential that can be unleashed.
ABS works fine toyota wouldnt disable abs if vsc stopped working (lawsuit, like they need another nightmare to deal with)
EPS works didnt need to swap racks
Smart key works its all original
AFS and HIDs no problem
Car is still DBW its like the gen 1 IS uses a cable.
There is no documentation for this car at all. My dad's been doing this kinda stuff for a long time. And besides, the level of difficulty is unmatched compared to any other swaps he has done in the past. So, putting together something like that would take ehhh.. probably only another 2 years lol! EVERTHING IS CUSTOM. Only thing he can recall not modifying, is the lower radiator hose, which was from a mk4 supra.

Machines Gone Wild/TOYOMOTO Turbo Kit
AEM EMS Tuned by Lance
RACELOGIC Traction Control
Getrag V160

Last edited by The-IS; 09-09-2010 at 09:42 PM.
The-IS is offline  
post #29 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 10:54 PM
Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Sunrise Fl.
Posts: 2,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
           
i saw this car in person. the work and attention to detail is incredible.

2002 Custom pearl Yellow IS300 turbo SOLD
1994 Toyota Supra 6spd// New Toy
Built by Induction Performance
Tuned by Alpha 825whp@31 psi
2013 Ford Eplorer Limited// Daily Driver
dexlex is offline  
post #30 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 05:42 AM
Extremist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,052
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-IS View Post
Its a complete Aristo V300 Swap Engine, trans, wiring harness, and ecu i think
VSC doesnt work but who cares. Except for the dash prompt "check vsc" I guess its a minor trade off considering the potential that can be unleashed.
Absolutely agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-IS View Post
ABS works fine toyota wouldnt disable abs if vsc stopped working (lawsuit, like they need another nightmare to deal with)
I doubt you'd have much grounds for a lawsuit with "I swapped to a totally different engine and suddenly something didn't work right"

But I was surprised ABS worked because I expected it to need to run through the 2IS traction computer, and since VSC doesn't and runs through the same computer I figured they all were out and it wouldn't work unless he swapped in the ABS computer and the different ABS sensors from the donor car...

It's possible that ABS doesn't go through the TC computer on non-VDIM cars though (06-08 250s) which would most easily explain it still working...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-IS View Post
EPS works didnt need to swap racks
Smart key works its all original
AFS and HIDs no problem
Surprising but all pleasantly so


Quote:
Originally Posted by The-IS View Post
Car is still DBW its like the gen 1 IS uses a cable.
Ah, didn't realize the later-year aristos were DBW... I figured it was a supra swap... does the aristo have an ECT-Snow mode that he wired up too or is the ECT button one-way now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-IS View Post
There is no documentation for this car at all. My dad's been doing this kinda stuff for a long time. And besides, the level of difficulty is unmatched compared to any other swaps he has done in the past. So, putting together something like that would take ehhh.. probably only another 2 years lol! EVERTHING IS CUSTOM. Only thing he can recall not modifying, is the lower radiator hose, which was from a mk4 supra.

Heh... that is not surprising... the amount of work was the one thing I was always sure about on the swap (based in part on the comments from the Falken racing guys about why they did NOT get anything OEM to work due to the insane amount of work it'd take)

Huge kudos to you and your dad for getting this done and getting as much working as you did...bet the car is fun as hell to drive

Is the motor stock right now (incl. power levels?) if so how much is he planning to add?
Knightshade is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Lexus IS Forum > 2nd-Gen IS250/IS350 > Go Faster

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome