Unorthodox Racing Pulley Kit - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Unorthodox Racing Pulley Kit

Hey guys.. Ive been talking to the owner of Unorthodox Racing, and they are willing to develop a pulley kit for the ISX50. They just need to check out an IS first, so does anyone live in or near Copiague, NY? if so would you be willing to let them check out your car and make measurements and do a baseline dyno?

turbo magazine did a before and after dyno with the kit on a 350z and they had a peak gain for 6.1 hp and a gain of 9hp at 5500 rpms.. which seems pretty good for a simple bolt on. Plus they lost 5.5 lbs.

some peole dont like these kits and have read bad reviews.. but it all depends on how much underdriven the pulleys are and Unorthodox seems to make theres safe since they have been selling products for 11 years with no problems

Black/Black 2006 IS350 w/ nav and red out vinyls
Custom Catback Exhaust/ Joez Pipe
mazzuri headers soon to come
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 09:55 PM
Addict

Ive had the UR lightened pulleys for 4 years on my crank, water pump, alternator and power steering. Felt power right away and no it did not damage my engine.

-HKS-VOLK RACING-ROTORA-TEIN-JIC-LTUNED
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 12:20 PM
Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by destron25 View Post
Ive had the UR lightened pulleys for 4 years on my crank, water pump, alternator and power steering. Felt power right away and no it did not damage my engine.
How much power did you feel? did you get more torque out of it?

BC 264 Cams / Titan cam gear /AAC Halos /TRD lip kit /Megan camber kit /FIGS rear lower arms/ Fortune coil overs/ fog mod/ joe-z intake/ 19" PIAA SUPER ROZZAS/

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 02:04 PM
Addict

enough to notice right away.

post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

no ISx50 owners are interested in more performance??

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 03:31 PM
Extremist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

5 hp in exchange for losing the harmonic dampner? pass.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 08:53 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightshade View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't recommend losing the harmonic dampener, though the other pulleys, (water, power steering, whatever) would be ok.

I'd do it if I lived up there.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 01:47 AM
Addict

Quote:
45k miles on these pulleys and still running strong. I can vouch for more than 5 hp. If I had to estimate it felt like 20hp with all those pulleys switched. Kinda like when I first installed my SRT intake. The truth is though you are not gaining HP from the pulleys you are restoring HP that the engine has lost for having these components like the power steering and waterpump.

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 08:09 AM
Extremist

Quote:
45k miles on these pulleys and still running strong. I can vouch for more than 5 hp. If I had to estimate it felt like 20hp with all those pulleys switched. Kinda like when I first installed my SRT intake. The truth is though you are not gaining HP from the pulleys you are restoring HP that the engine has lost for having these components like the power steering and waterpump.
"feels like" is a horrible standard for judging power gains. See also the folks who insist it FEELS LIKE they gains a bunch of power from an air intake on their IS when they demonstrably did not.

Disassemble an engine that ran for 45k with and without a harmonic dampener. Compare the bearings. The one without the dampener will look like the bearings from an engine with 200k on it.

If you don't plan to keep your car forever that's probably not an issue for you though.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 08:12 AM
Extremist

BTW- I'd suggest anyone considering not running a dampener read this article- It's about BMWs but most of the general principles apply to any engine

Dinan BMW - The Dangers of Power Pulleys and Understanding the Harmonic Damper
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 03:59 PM
Follower

Quote:
BTW- I'd suggest anyone considering not running a dampener read this article- It's about BMWs but most of the general principles apply to any engine

Dinan BMW - The Dangers of Power Pulleys and Understanding the Harmonic Damper

Very interesting. I had no idea pulley kits could be so risky.

-Mike

'06 IS350 SGM

On their deathbed, nobody ever said "I wish I'd spent more time at work".
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

its only risky if the kit doesnt include a haronic damper.. im asking Shawn a unorhodox racing if he would be willing to deelope a kit with one

post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 12:50 AM
Addict

Quote:
"feels like" is a horrible standard for judging power gains. See also the folks who insist it FEELS LIKE they gains a bunch of power from an air intake on their IS when they demonstrably did not.

Disassemble an engine that ran for 45k with and without a harmonic dampener. Compare the bearings. The one without the dampener will look like the bearings from an engine with 200k on it.

If you don't plan to keep your car forever that's probably not an issue for you though.
Before you jump on the attack consider why someone would install a pulley kit? Yes to have more gains in HP. If you have followed the SRT intake you will see that it has real gains (dynoed)that you can feel and hear. That is probably why the intakes go for 450.00 I don't believe any of us are going to keep our is300 forever and by the way most people are gonna wear their bearings regardless because they dont understand shifting and rpm principles, scheduled oil changes and good oil. If you know anything about power to weight ratio then you know when I said "it feels like" meant there was gains, but I can't say how much because it's not dynoed. Yes if we want more gains then forced induction is the way to go, but then again there goes the life of the engine. Most engine mods we do to our engines are going to shorten the life of it, but that is how it is in automotive performance. If I want reliability ill get a corolla.

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 07:58 AM
Extremist

Quote:
Before you jump on the attack consider why someone would install a pulley kit? Yes to have more gains in HP. If you have followed the SRT intake you will see that it has real gains (dynoed)that you can feel and hear. That is probably why the intakes go for 450.00 I don't believe any of us are going to keep our is300 forever and by the way most people are gonna wear their bearings regardless because they dont understand shifting and rpm principles, scheduled oil changes and good oil. If you know anything about power to weight ratio then you know when I said "it feels like" meant there was gains, but I can't say how much because it's not dynoed. Yes if we want more gains then forced induction is the way to go, but then again there goes the life of the engine. Most engine mods we do to our engines are going to shorten the life of it, but that is how it is in automotive performance. If I want reliability ill get a corolla.

Um... did you notice you're in the 2IS section? There's no $450 SRT intake that does crap for these cars.

Most folks interested in performance aren't doing their own shifting on these cars either.

There's also no reasonable forced induction option at all on these cars.

I know plenty about power to weight ratios BTW, just as I know the butt dyno is the least reliable measure of "perforamance gain" ever. Look into something called cognitive dissonance where people will convince themselves of whatever they want.

It's why folks who spend $300 on an intake for the IS350 are "sure" it "feels" like it gains 10+ rwhp when it likely gained zero... or people who put purely cosmetic engine brace bars on a car are "sure" it improved handling. That's not to say -real- mods that do improve things don't do so in ways you can feel, but that's why they make tools to measure these gains- because "feel" isn't a good way to judge.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 12:32 PM
Addict

Quote:
Um... did you notice you're in the 2IS section? There's no $450 SRT intake that does crap for these cars.

Most folks interested in performance aren't doing their own shifting on these cars either.

There's also no reasonable forced induction option at all on these cars.

I know plenty about power to weight ratios BTW, just as I know the butt dyno is the least reliable measure of "perforamance gain" ever. Look into something called cognitive dissonance where people will convince themselves of whatever they want.

It's why folks who spend $300 on an intake for the IS350 are "sure" it "feels" like it gains 10+ rwhp when it likely gained zero... or people who put purely cosmetic engine brace bars on a car are "sure" it improved handling. That's not to say -real- mods that do improve things don't do so in ways you can feel, but that's why they make tools to measure these gains- because "feel" isn't a good way to judge.
Omg I was talking about pulleys in general and how can you say the dyno is not a way to measure hp? Like I said if you know anything about power to weight ration then you know there is a gain by losing the weight. I dunno what you mean by engine brace bars, but if you mean an engine damper it's used to reduce vibrations in the engine not improve handling and if you are talking about a strut bar then yes it does have an effect on handling. I don't know where you are getting your sources, but it sounds like you dont know anything about performance and parts. An important part of your cars performance is how it "feels" when you are driving it in certain conditions. If my car "feels" like it can't handle a certain turn or feels underpowered to speed up to something I won't, but by knowing my cars performance I can drive a certain way. The x50 is still under production for performance parts and will have many in the near future. Look at dougs sc kit. 350 to the wheels is good and fun for a daily driver. IF I added an intake, exhaust and used royal purple oil do you seriously think I'll still get "zero" HP?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 2nd-Gen IS250/IS350 > Go Fast Stuff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page