Tune up for an IS 250? - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Tune up for an IS 250?

What does it entail, and what does it usually cost?
jmsharpis250 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 10:23 PM
Frequenter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
Garage
Depends on your milage. which is...

I drink your MILKSHAKE!!!

05 E-Shift GGP
HKS Super Hybrid
Tanabe GF210
Spaced Stockers for now...
dakinISbatman is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 06:53 AM
Deity
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Quebec
Posts: 11,819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
           
If you really want to start fresh

-injecter cleaner
-air filter
-cabin filter
-engine, tranny diff fluids
-oil filter
-inspect bushings/balljoints
-wheel alignment
-clean MAF? although I'm not sure if the 2IS has a MAF
-Seafoam if you want
-Valve adjustment if possible on 2IS


That should keep you up to date. Im probably missing stuff but thats a good list.
Jerm__ is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 08:21 AM
Extremist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,052
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsharpis250 View Post
What does it entail, and what does it usually cost?
What a 2IS actually needs, and when, for scheduled service:

Every 5k miles- Oil change (it doesn't need it anywhere near this often, especially with synthetic, but going by the book here)

Every 15k- Check air/engine filters (you can change these yourself for free in about 5 minutes each if needed)

Every 30k- Change brake fluid

Every 60k- Change spark plugs

Every 100k- Change coolant.

That's it

Anything else is the dealer selling you crap you don't need.


Things that will require changing on an as-needed basis (that is, when they are actually worn out, not on any schedule:


Tires
Brakes
Windshield wipers/Wiper fluid
Accessory belt


That's it.


Transmission never requires any service at all (auto anyway) Neither does the diff.


NOTE: On the 250 specifically there is a known issue with carbon build up problems... there was a TSB to get 'free' top engine cleaning under warranty for a while, but it doesn't fix the root cause, it just cleans it up for a couple more years... supposedly it is being replaced with a much more extensive TSB that replaces a number of internal engine parts with the intent to actually fix the issue- again this would be free under powertrain warranty (6 yr/70k miles).
Knightshade is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 09:50 AM
Extremist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,052
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsharpis250 View Post
Thanks Knight, do you know any way for me to check if any of the regular maintenance was done before I bought it? I got it certified through a dealership at about 90k miles, but have no idea how to check on that stuff. I'm guessing I need to do the coolant though for sure since I just took it over 100k. I'll also have to look into changing my engine filters myself, never done that before.
The filter changes are explained in the owners manual....they're pretty easy (be SURE the climate control is on recirculate when doing the cabin filter... the rest is super easy 5 minutes, but if it's not on recirc you can break it).

If you register as an owner using the VIN on lexus.com you can see the service history of the vehicle.

Now, if previous owners went to Jiffy Lube or did it themselves, that you're out of luck on checking.... but anything done at any Lexus dealership will show up in the service history.
Knightshade is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 02:10 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightshade View Post
What a 2IS actually needs, and when, for scheduled service:

Every 5k miles- Oil change (it doesn't need it anywhere near this often, especially with synthetic, but going by the book here)

Every 15k- Check air/engine filters (you can change these yourself for free in about 5 minutes each if needed)

Every 30k- Change brake fluid

Every 60k- Change spark plugs

Every 100k- Change coolant.

That's it

Anything else is the dealer selling you crap you don't need.


Things that will require changing on an as-needed basis (that is, when they are actually worn out, not on any schedule:


Tires
Brakes
Windshield wipers/Wiper fluid
Accessory belt


That's it.


Transmission never requires any service at all (auto anyway) Neither does the diff.


NOTE: On the 250 specifically there is a known issue with carbon build up problems... there was a TSB to get 'free' top engine cleaning under warranty for a while, but it doesn't fix the root cause, it just cleans it up for a couple more years... supposedly it is being replaced with a much more extensive TSB that replaces a number of internal engine parts with the intent to actually fix the issue- again this would be free under powertrain warranty (6 yr/70k miles).
*Listen to this guy, because he hit it on the head. Im a Master certified tech for an Atlanta area Lexus and thats pretty much all you need. The new bulletin for the carbon build up problem is to replace the pistons and rings, which some of the pistons are on manual release and backorder. I have already had to rebuild a 2008 IS250 with only 49,XXX miles. If you want my opinion to keep the carbon buildup down run a tandem pcv catch can on the pcv hose behind the intake on the drivers side. They have not deemed a reason for replacing rings yet, but the only thing i can imagine is there is a blow by problem with the rings and the crank case vapors sucked up through the pcv valve are sitting on the top of the valves and not being washed away from the direct port injectors, since there direct injection into the combustion chambers now. Hince the reason there are very limited/almost no occurances this problem exists with the IS350/GS350 because they have a direct injection/port injection for better idle, etc. ie. 6 direct injection injectors and 6 conventional ones.
Thumper is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 11:36 AM
zen
Fiend
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 466
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
scheduled to replace the piston for the carbon build up problem. Has anyone replaced their already ? Does it solve the carbon build up problem permanently ?
zen is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 01:02 PM
Extremist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,052
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen View Post
scheduled to replace the piston for the carbon build up problem. Has anyone replaced their already ? Does it solve the carbon build up problem permanently ?
The solution has only been in use for like 1-2 months, even if someone had it done on the first day they're extremely unlikely to have put enough miles on the car to know if it's a perm. fix or not.
Knightshade is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 08:32 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: ROSEVILLE, CA
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Does this carbon issue apply to the 2012 IS 250?

2012 IS250
Navigation/18" rims/HIDs
USAF2017 is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 06:45 AM
Extremist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,052
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF2017 View Post
Does this carbon issue apply to the 2012 IS 250?
Far as I know it's inherent to the DI system; It's possible the 2012s are coming with the updated rings/pistons so that it takes a lot longer for the buildup to be significant though.
Knightshade is offline  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 02:52 PM
Follower
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
           
^ wow, good to know that IS350 doesn't get this problem due to the difference in the injection system. thanks for the info guys.

'07 Lexus IS350 Lux pkg - Purchased at 135k miles
Cheez is offline  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 07:32 PM
Extremist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,052
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheez View Post
^ wow, good to know that IS350 doesn't get this problem due to the difference in the injection system. thanks for the info guys.
Yeah, thanks to the 350 using dual injection it keeps the valves clean unlike the 250... it's not a lexus specific thing either a lot of the "first gen" DI cars designed in the 2000s that used DI only had the issue from many vendors...

Direct Injection Fouls Some Early Adopters - AutoObserver
Knightshade is offline  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 12:01 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Will the carbon build up affect 2009 is250
chevito250 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Lexus IS Forum > 2nd-Gen IS250/IS350 > Go Fast Stuff

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome